TT&F IV: New Strategies and Theories for '07

Well everybody is on mentality of 10 which I never change. I have my RCM on FWD runs often/mixed depending upon who i'm playing against and I always have my LCM on FWD runs rarely.

As for my CB's they are both on 6 (rarely) for closing down. My D-Line changes according to opponents it will either be on 6 or 8 usually.

Now things I have tried are I put Tymoschuck (LCM) with a mentality of 8 (instead of everyone else on 10). Here I could see a little less of a gap because he stayed back more. But there was still a bit of a gap. For Closing down I've tried matching it to D-line, I normally just gve them mixed for closing down because I don't know what is best for them.

Finally, everytime I use tight marking or man marking I have been torn apart so I won't be trying that again.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi wwfan!

One question; i got really interested in trying your tactics. So i downloaded your tactics using the RoO 4-4-2, used it not making to many changes. I´ve managed to reach Premier League with my Leyton Orient; started using your tactics there. Im doing fantastic at home, 2:nd in the leauge; but away ive managed to scrape together 4 points in my 18 away games! Im playing your away tactics, odds heavily against me every game. The matches i often loose in the last minutes or they equalize late. Why is the tactics working at home but not away? I have a pretty average/lower than avearge squad. Thanks for answering!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by boowman:

Hi wwfan!

One question; i got really interested in trying your tactics. So i downloaded your tactics using the RoO 4-4-2, used it not making to many changes. I´ve managed to reach Premier League with my Leyton Orient; started using your tactics there. Im doing fantastic at home, 2:nd in the leauge; but away ive managed to scrape together 4 points in my 18 away games! Im playing your away tactics, odds heavily against me every game. The matches i often loose in the last minutes or they equalize late. Why is the tactics working at home but not away? I have a pretty average/lower than avearge squad. Thanks for answering! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have reworked my defensive theories but haven't had time to post them in detail.

Go here for some quick advice or read and follow my location for further information.

Thanks for some nice theories wwfan icon_smile.gif.

I made all 4 frameworks and in 7.00 i owned everyone with my Man Utd team. 6-0 4-0 etc.

But here in 7.02 my team is playing terrible losing and draw most of the time. The AI gets loads of chances while in 7.00 they hardly got any.

What can i do icon_frown.gif?. I have tried to tweak the tactics a bit, with fullbacks with forward runs etc. And lower tempo, width and passing on my dmc. And nothing seems to do any good.

help!! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

Closing Down: My current thoughts are....easy tackling </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never use easy tackling anymore. Only had it on my wingers until recently, but after putting them on 'mixed' they'd get back and take the ball off the opposition even if my wingers have very low tackling attributes.

I used to have easy tackling for my STs too, but after putting them on mixed tackling, they were more likely to get the ball off lax defenders.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

Closing Down: My current thoughts are....easy tackling </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never use easy tackling anymore. Only had it on my wingers until recently, but after putting them on 'mixed' they'd get back and take the ball off the opposition even if my wingers have very low tackling attributes.

I used to have easy tackling for my STs too, but after putting them on mixed tackling, they were more likely to get the ball off lax defenders. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the only time i like easy tackling is when you have a ref who's generous with the fouls and you got a guy who has a card already.

I have to say thank you wwfan.

Whilst I haven't lifted or implemented anything directly from your guide - as I have my own personal beliefs on how football should be played - I have taken a lot of your advice on board.

Upon reading your opening posts I came to the conclusion that I had drifted off into a state of apathy as well as being lazy. I now see the error of my ways. icon_wink.gif

I believe in using my own brain, so I intentionally ignored your frameworks. I'm sure they work, but I prefer being successful off my own back. icon_smile.gif

Hi, It's been a pleasure to read ALL your contributions over the years wwfan, outstanding effort mate, your a credit to the game, it's been a pleasure and what can one say about this post.... err I'm sort of lost for words on how to congratulate you, so... for want of better words mate, great stuff !! and long may you continue, you fail to disapoint icon_cool.gif

For me I tend to drift in and out, have spells of great interest and long hours followed by periods of little interest, my kids ensure I do other things too lol

cheers

I read this thread, and I think these tactics make a ton of sense, but they aren't working for me at all. I have a quality side, in a poor league which I think should make it even easier for these tactics to work, but two games in so far, I have lost 3-0 and 3-1, both away but regardless, they did not work the way I had invisioned them working. It did not seem like my players followed instructions at all, I saw no fluidity, more like a lot of panic and a lot of cluelessness. I am giving up a ton of chances and fouling a ton. Easy tacklers are racking up a huge amount of fouls. I have completed so far over 60% of my passes both games and also tackled with over %70 chance of success. Crosses are extremely low, and headers are under 50%. Both team also pased over 60% and tackled over 60%. 13 shots, only 4 on target. My keeper is completing barely 20% of his passes which is a problem, but I have never been able to get any of my keepers to distribute the ball well.

ok well. i think im going to quit FM. i have lost my next two games, 3-0 and 2-0. Both at home this time. This was my last hope, and while it makes a lot of sense to me it isn't working so I don't know what else I can do. There was a time (a long time) in this current game that my team was dominant but last season, nothing changed but my team collapsed. I have now lost my first four games of the season in awful fashion to bad teams. I think I am done. Its too frustrating.

It just sucks cause it used to be really fun and I can't even understand what is going on right now. I don't believe this game cheats. that is silly, but I don't know wtf is going on. Damn. I was really excited when I found this thread and I spent hours reading it today and it has just not worked out. I really can't believe this is happening...

I am a scottish team, Vale of Leithen, I imported them into the 3rd div when I started the game, but I'm in the 2017/2018 season and i have won the league twice already in 5 seasons and i made the uefa cup final which i barely lost. i had my best season right before my collapse, i dropped only 7 points. I have no idea what happened. I will check out the link you posted because I really want to get this team winning again.

The settings for the individual mentality.

1 = furthest left on the slider

20 = furthest right on the slider.

So 14 is the fourteenth setting (i.e., move the slider to the left-most point and click 13 times to the right).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EggBandit:

Mentality

GK 14

DC 15

FB 16

MCd 17

ML/R 18

MCa 19

FC 20

What do these stats mean? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They mean the position of the notch on the slider - imagine the 1st notch(very left) is 1 and the last(very right) is 20 each click between them represents a number

Right got it, I tried out the tactics he explained here, and boy tdo they work.

I am playing as a mediocre first division team in Scotland, and I am now challenging for the League title. I think my player quality lets me down, and man management is still a bit screwy but these tactics sure as hell works.

Thanks!

wwfan, I felt compelled to return to this thread and thank you because the link you provided really did wonders for my team. On my way to winning my league I won a record 11 league matches in a row. Really, thanks a lot. This game is fun again icon_smile.gif

Hi all.

Guys this set of tactics don't work for me,

until now my result is W=0 D=1 L=2.

Yes i know that i played only 3 mathes but the result is horrible:

0-3, 3-3 and 1-3.

i have no possession and forwards made lots of mistakes.

help me to resolve this situation.

Bye.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dukenduke:

Hi all.

Guys this set of tactics don't work for me,

until now my result is W=0 D=1 L=2.

Yes i know that i played only 3 mathes but the result is horrible:

0-3, 3-3 and 1-3.

i have no possession and forwards made lots of mistakes.

help me to resolve this situation.

Bye. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Which tactic did you use and in which situation. When did you change them, and what did you change them to? Who are you playing as, and who were you playing against. And finally were you expected to win or lose those games?

The only way to work out whether it was the tactics which simply don't work or misuse of the tactics is if we know how you're using them.

Hi Millie icon_smile.gif.

At the moment im using TT&F RoO 442 set.

I'm playng with Fredrikson in norway and in my opinion i have build a good team for that league.

At the beginning af the season i tried to use a normal 442 with nothing in special but that tactic didnt work well so i decide to change it and my choice has been TTF.

I red the wwfan explanation about that theory and i had a very good impression i was enthusiastic.

I'm tring that set of tactic but as i said in the last spot my results were horrible, certanly i made mistakes but i dont know what.

I want to know from my mistakes so i decided to play the same matches another time.

First match is Valerenga-Fredrikson i'm favourite Valerenga Victory:5.50, Fredrikson Victory: 1.5 and draw: 3.6

With this kind of situation i tried the 442AwayAtt.

Their tactis was 4defender, 1dmc, 2 mc, 2 wingers and 1 forward.

I won 1:2 using at 87' 442Away with 50% of possession and 59% of passing complete.

Im happy for the victory but really im confused, what is the difference from the last game where i lost 3-1 and this math?

May be i had only good lack or what? i dont really know.

Just last question, have I done a good tactic choise?

Sorry for my bad English and thank u for ur answer.

The problems come from what happens in the game.

In the second example it appears you were OK because you took the lead and made the opposition come onto you. That left more space for your more skillful team, and you ended up winning.

In the first game, it appears you went behind. In this situation, the onus was on you to break the opposition down, so once it was clear the original tactic wasn't working, you should probably have switched to either a more attacking version or the control version to try and break the opposition down.

Did you change the tactics at all during the match, or did you leave them as is? And in what order and at what times did the opposition score?

Well i leave Away442 until 87 minute with no modification.

I scored my first goal at 4' then at 10' they did their goal and at 26' i scored last my goal.

your examination for my first game is correct icon_eek.gif , i went behind so i have switched to AwayAtt and their forwards scored me 2° and 3° goal.

Waht is the best choise when im loosing the match?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dukenduke:

Well i leave Away442 until 87 minute with no modification.

I scored my first goal at 4' then at 10' they did their goal and at 26' i scored last my goal.

your examination for my first game is correct icon_eek.gif , i went behind so i have switched to AwayAtt and their forwards scored me 2° and 3° goal.

Waht is the best choise when im loosing the match? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not sure. I don't use these sets myself, but I do have a similar sort of group. Personally, if I were already on the attack variant and losing, I'd keep it the same for 10-15 minutes just to see what was happening. If it was working fine, I'd leave it as it was, if it clearly was giving the opposition too much, I'd change.

I would probably first go to the control one, but you'll have to wait for someone who uses these more often than I do to confirm that. Good luck. icon14.gif

Don't think Control is relevant to this thread. Try How to Play FM thread for further info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Which, if anything, proves my ignorance. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the article wwfan, I'm going to try out most, if not all, of your practices on my Newcastle file in the morning. I just had a disastorous season after trying to tweak my tactics by a fair bit, hopefully this can help me get back on track.

Quick question lads, i'm in my third season with Arsenal and have a squad capable of fielding two complete teams. Want to play a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond in the league with my league winning 4-1-3-2 for all cup competitions. Now bearing in mind I will be totally swapping my team for each tactic, so that each player will only be playing one tactic will I still get a problem with players taking a while to adapt as I have switched tactic?

this is a game of probability. whatever wwfan have posted, are all to maximised the chance of winning to the max.

therefore there is no 100% win. your players will make mistakes even when your tactical plan is a masterpiece. even in real life, a moment of magic or catastrophy... lol

cheers wwfan

this is a game of probability. whatever wwfan have posted, are all to maximised the chance of winning to the max.

therefore there is no 100% win. your players will make mistakes even when your tactical plan is a masterpiece. even in real life, a moment of magic or catastrophy... lol

cheers wwfan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by prong:

Quick question lads, i'm in my third season with Arsenal and have a squad capable of fielding two complete teams. Want to play a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond in the league with my league winning 4-1-3-2 for all cup competitions. Now bearing in mind I will be totally swapping my team for each tactic, so that each player will only be playing one tactic will I still get a problem with players taking a while to adapt as I have switched tactic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are opening a can of worms here. I say no (as long as the tactic is logical and well thought). Others say yes.

@ Jedi5diah: As are all game-strategies. You try to maximise your chance of winning but accept when you lose (through bad luck or better play).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by prong:

Quick question lads, i'm in my third season with Arsenal and have a squad capable of fielding two complete teams. Want to play a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond in the league with my league winning 4-1-3-2 for all cup competitions. Now bearing in mind I will be totally swapping my team for each tactic, so that each player will only be playing one tactic will I still get a problem with players taking a while to adapt as I have switched tactic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my guess, based on my impressions from playing, is this: regardless of whether they play only that formation with situational variations, or several wildly different ones, they need to get used to it. they might play well upon adopting a new set but they'll play better (and prettier) once they're used to it.

good to see this thread is still going. i wouldn't say i've gotten good at tactics by any stretch of the imagination, but the ideas presented at the beginning of this thread were my first step toward becoming considerably less clueless. it's not the only way to approach the game but i like it because it gives a logical framework upon which the manager can build. principles as opposed to a series of nearly isolated special cases and learning only from accumulated experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Marking

Home Tactics

It is important to tight mark with the defence to reduce space for opposition attackers. As man-marking has finally been fixed (7.0.1), I prefer to man mark the opposition with the defence, although tight zonal should work equally well. The rest of the team generally focuses on attacking, so to ensure they are often in space, loose zonal marking seems to be the best option.

Away Tactics

For the away tactics I recommend tight man-marking across the board for midfield and defenceacross the board for midfield and defence, as it is the best way to reduce space for the opposition. The forwards should remain loose marking though so they are available to pick up pressure relieving balls from the defence.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does it mean?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ergün:

Marking

Home Tactics

It is important to tight mark with the defence to reduce space for opposition attackers. As man-marking has finally been fixed (7.0.1), I prefer to man mark the opposition with the defence, although tight zonal should work equally well. The rest of the team generally focuses on attacking, so to ensure they are often in space, loose zonal marking seems to be the best option.

Away Tactics

For the away tactics I recommend tight man-marking across the board for midfield and defenceacross the board for midfield and defence, as it is the best way to reduce space for the opposition. The forwards should remain loose marking though so they are available to pick up pressure relieving balls from the defence.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does it mean? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the midfielders and defenders should do it.

In conjunction with my Home assumptions, I have slightly revised my opinion. The more dominant a team you are, the looser you should have your marking (and higher CD) for home games. So, if you ahve a world-class side, loose mark at home with the DCs. It stops the ball over the top counter attacks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ergün:

well why mentality rates are link defensive line? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The manual says they are related. It is a good rule of thumb to link them until you are sure about what you are doing. After that you can experiment with having them further apart.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

Any further tips on through balls, wwfan?

This is one area where I'm not really sure how to set up. Mostly just have everyone on mixed as I'm not too sure on things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Attacking/Control/Home set-ups: everyone on often

Possession: Mainly Mixed

Counter: Mixture

Defend: Mainly Rarely

Couldn't find anything on through balls on FMB that we've talked about. Is it basically trying to pass the ball over/through the opposition's defensive line?

And do you have them set up that way so they are linked into other things such as tempo or passing?

No. I got it from Ambramovic's AI thread.

If you think about it it makes sense. Each ball form the back to the front is played in front of the target, so the move flows forwards. It will be risky with really bad passers of the ball in defence feeding slow midfielders, but other than that it seems to work fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tairex

great post was just wondering is it adviceable to put creative players on tight marking as u said that the mca needs to be tightly marking thier men

• 1 month later...

Great post guys and it works really well. I did notice my stats improve (mostly my header's won). I started it playing my second season with villa. In the first season I reached 12th, but with these tactics, clawed my way up to 5th in the second.

Thing of it is, I'm still letting in a few too many goals.

Also, I have a question regarding scouting reports -- do you guys change these established tactics based on the scouting reports going into the match - more specifically, when your scout tells you to retain possession of the ball?

Many Thanks

Archived