Sports Interactive Community
lguto

MLS DP rule in FM 2015

Hello guy, so I've finally started my first save in FM 2015 with NYCFC n the MLS. It has come to my attention that I have 3 designated player slots for my squad, however, one of those slots has to be for a young player (23 yrs and under).

I have realized that teams like Toronto FC and LA Galaxy have 3 designated players each, and none of them are considered to be young players, that is, they are all older than 23 years old. In my team I can only have 2 "normal" DP, with the third slot only for a young player as I mentioned before.

Why is that hapenning? Do I have to buy a DP slot from the league? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks for the help guys!

cheers

You can't buy a designated player slot. Your board is probably restricting you. As you progress and win, then the board will let you pick any player of any age to be the 3rd DP. It's not that bad. i think in the past FM Colorado could only get 1 DP at the beginning of the save due to board restrictions. It's different for every club.

You can't buy a designated player slot. Your board is probably restricting you. As you progress and win, then the board will let you pick any player of any age to be the 3rd DP. It's not that bad. i think in the past FM Colorado could only get 1 DP at the beginning of the save due to board restrictions. It's different for every club.

So I just have to play and win? There's no way I can ask the board to give me another DP slot?

Each team gets an allotment of DP slots. At least in real life, it is possible to trade for them, which I believe is what LA and Toronto have done.

Each team gets an allotment of DP slots. At least in real life, it is possible to trade for them, which I believe is what LA and Toronto have done.

No, DP slots are not tradeable. With good reason, MLS roster rules are generally misunderstood (they aren't exactly transparent) but where it comes to how many slots you can have or whether they are tradeable or not, it is pretty clear. Teams are allowed 2 DP slots. They can buy a 3rd. However, teams are allowed to use a 3rd DP spot on a young player (young DP) without having to buy a 3rd. This is what is happening with the OP.

From the MLS roster rules:

Each club has two Designated Player slots and clubs are allowed to “purchase” a third Designated Player slot for a one-time fee of $150,000 that will be dispersed in the form of allocation money to all clubs that do not have three Designated Players. Clubs will not have to buy the third DP roster slot to accommodate Designated Players 23 years old and younger.

Designated Player slots are not tradable.

Are you sure that it's how it works in the game? I don't think there's an option to trade for a DP slot... :(

No, DP slots are not tradeable. With good reason, MLS roster rules are generally misunderstood (they aren't exactly transparent) but where it comes to how many slots you can have or whether they are tradeable or not, it is pretty clear. Teams are allowed 2 DP slots. They can buy a 3rd. However, teams are allowed to use a 3rd DP spot on a young player (young DP) without having to buy a 3rd. This is what is happening with the OP.

From the MLS roster rules:

Each club has two Designated Player slots and clubs are allowed to “purchase” a third Designated Player slot for a one-time fee of $150,000 that will be dispersed in the form of allocation money to all clubs that do not have three Designated Players. Clubs will not have to buy the third DP roster slot to accommodate Designated Players 23 years old and younger.

Designated Player slots are not tradable.

Thanks a lot for clarifying it! Any idea how do I buy the third slot in the game?

If it's anything like previous games, it's offered to you at some point, but I don't think there's any way to trigger it. People who are more learned than me in all things MLS will probably be able to confirm.

Thanks a lot for clarifying it! Any idea how do I buy the third slot in the game?

Presumably it gets offered to you in between seasons at some point. I've had 2 DP's plus a young DP each season, though, so have not been in a position to find out as of yet.

So guys, I've player my first season, won the MLS and the US Cup, and the board still haven't said anything about my third DP spot. Do I have to sign a young DP and wait for him to be over 23 years old so they can buy the spot? I have a lot of money as I sold many of the players that won our first title, so I really don't know why they just don't buy that DP spot :(

On my way to my third season, with a lot of meny for a MLS team, won the league twice in a row and still no sign of my third DP spot. :(