Amount of easy chances being missed too high?

I have had a pretty successful season with Hull. Managed to score 86 goals in 38 matches in Premier League and at least 30+ in cup games. Currently sitting at 35 too in Europa League. What I have noticed is that my players can build up great attacks and score a lot but there seems to be a lot of 'easy' chances missed.

The issues are: 1. Straight run into keeper, player often uses weaker foot and misses. 2. Chances 2-3 meters in front of the keeper. They tend to shoot right at the keeper. 3. Rebounds. Keeper is on the ground and they shoot against the keeper. 4. As I said players never seem to do an outside foot shot. They use their weaker foot instead and miss. Often inside the box.

On the other hand it sure is entertaining to see my 18 long shot player scoring 30 goals in a season and half of them were long shots. Even from 50 yards!!!

The one on ones are pretty bad to watch this year. Doesn't matter if I train strikers with two strong feet and "lob the keeper" or "go around the keeper", they still just fire straight into him. I haven't actually seen a single successful lob in a 1v1 this year. Goals are still being scored, sure, but it's rarely the obvious ones.

The ME isn't perfect unfortunately and never will be as nothing ever is perfect. You said yourself that you've scored a lot of goals, so there really shouldn't be any complaints really. The ME we have is better than anybody could ever make and SI do their best year in year out to improve it.

The ME doesn't have to be perfect, nothing can be perfect. All we ask for is a decent engine that can perform at a satisfactory level.

The problem may be partially that the developer's vision of a decent match engine might be different from the players'. ;-) In the case of some individual finishes, the finish may be hilariously poor, agreed, like keepers being hit straight from no distance finishes. However, the shot on target percentage as well as the conversion are pretty decent. The latter is between 20% and 50% for the top strikers last time I checked with the latest patch from December, about 33% on average, that means about one in three shots on target are being converted. So whilst there's some truth to the easy finishes, namelythat in some individual cases the finish is poor, the one on one thing and some of the hyperbole imo dates back to a community myth spreading that had it the game would deliberately compensate for bad AI/engine by making finishes poor. Plus a misconception of how many of those situations are actually being converted in real football.

https://www.facebook.com/WhoScored/posts/10150704808094127

http://basstunedtored.com/2013/02/16/shots-on-target-difference/

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2013/11/11/5090316/nine-goals-in-eleven-matches-a-shot-conversion-study

http://www.plfantasy.com/2012/10/individual-forecasts-historic-player.html

You can check the same by going to a squad's screen and entering the following columns. In the case of Messi, he had 152 shots on target all season and converted 52, that means (simple rule of three) he converted 34,21% of them. So regardless whether anything will indiviually be fixed, overall I wouldn't expect a major overhaul in conversion in general. If there was one, that'd be unrealistic. Naturally this can be influenced by tactics, as they hugely influence what type of chances are created by whom and who finishes them. In my opinion it's the defending rather than the finishing that perhaps would need more immediate attention, if anything, but maybe that's me.

BRvdm0J.jpg

I've found this to be true in many versions of the game and it has often been discussed. I also score a lot of goals but very rarely do I score from 1v1 situations, I have better conversion rate on corners than I have on 1v1 situations despite having 2 world class forwards.

I think I've read somewhere a reason for this, can't remember what it was exactly or wether it is true. But I don't think this is specific for FM15 and I do believe SI are well aware.

The conversion rates are spot on I have to admit that. But I was talking the about which chances are being converted and which not. Another example is the game I just played. Final Europe cup. I had 30 shots and 9 clear cut chances. 5 of them were 1v1 against the keeper, 1 empty goal and a penalty. Missed them all. The other three were not really clear cut in my opinion.

But when we get a chance from this angle and scored. 77DFD58A7D6A232C87E82DA661E3876D1D71E905

Carlos also scored a beautiful goal from 20 yards out. But he failed every one on one. 395891A4317063058EF0190B3507717122ACF734

Not a bad player, but he misses a lot of one on ones.

I have had to adapt the way I play the game as has been mentioned one and ones are so inefficient. It was highly noticeable on the last version of the game (fm14) and is very similar in this.

It is now a genuine shock if my striker is clear of the last man with only the keeper to beat and scores.

It ruined fm14 for me as I couldn't find a workaround, not so in 15. I now play in a very different way where my striker is more of a creative Drogba type bringing others MC(a)s and IF into play for goals.

I know the ME is fine but what I find weird is that my players are scoring long shots and lots of shots from out wide but were missing a bunch of 1 on 1's. My striker last game... got past the keeper but uses his weak foot and misses in front of an empty goal. The amount of times a player uses his weak foot instead of his strong one is too much and the amount of times a player scores a goal from a weird angle is too much. Don't the players ever use the outside of their foot? I have seen a lot of occasions where this was totally possible.

I've come to the opinion that this, and lots of the problems with the match engine are actually issues with animations being inadequate. The range of animations is understandably insufficient to represent what's actually happening, and that's why it looks like easy chances are missed do often, and why so many passes seem underhit, and some of the strange defensive interactions.

Archived