Help with lower league defensive issues

Hi, this is my first post on these forums, looking around I think this is an appropriate place to post and I was wondering if anybody could offer any help.

I've been playing FM Handheld for years and also had successful careers on FM13, but on FM15 I'm really struggling defensively. On my current save I am about five games into the competitive season with Luton - it's the second season on this save after I was sacked by Bristol Rovers at the end of the first. My entire first team are at least "good quality/standard for League Two sides", a few are better and my bench players are also competent. I spent quite a lot of money on wages and transfers - including purchasing Jamie White who played for me last season and was Conference top scorer. I play a 4-4-1-1 formation, and I spent a lot of time creating my tactic - I don't feel that it's an issue in understanding. My default mentality is Counter but played in quite a defensive way. Both my central midfielders are set to the defensive mentality, and the individual instructions for my defence and midfield is to hold positions and mark tightly. No matter what I do I cannot stop conceding ridiculous goals every ten minutes, even if I switch to the Contain strategy. Anyway it's unbelievably frustrating because I really do love FM - I'm not one of those people who wants to win every game, just the ones I would reasonably expect to win IRL, which isn't happening at the moment. Goals conceded from crosses and corners are definitely an issue, and as a side note the team have recently started contradicting their instructions and constantly get booked and sent off.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Henry

I'm having the same defensive issues in the Conference South, although I should expect to be a bit more open than you playing a direct, high tempo 4123. It's crosses that are really frustrating me, no matter if my fullbackgoes to meet the op player on the touchline, or retreats to stay solid, they still manage to produce an fast, arching cross in between my goalkeeper and CB's. I seem to have solved the corner problem to an extent setting up with 4 zonal 6 yard box markers, my best two in the air man marking and front post, back post, strong player on the edge of the box, leave two faster/winger type players up. Contain strategy other than for the last 5 minutes is not a good idea as far as I am concerned as you are inviting pressure. I'm trying to not play a 442 but the wing play seems to be so overpowered in the lower leagues I may have to switch. It's all a fine line, when results don't go your way morale drops and players start to do strange things against instruction and massively underperform. If you get a good defensive set up please do share.

Please have a read of this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

It's a Hell of a jump from FMH to FM, and it can very easily be an issue with understanding, even if you think it isn't.

We need to know exactly what Roles and Duties you are using, Mentality, TIs, PIs, Team Shape in order to give tailored advice.

Also worth clarifying, as it is not entirely clear from the OP, are you still playing handheld? (sorry if its obvious from some of the questions which follow, long time since i played FMH!)

Please have a read of this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

It's a Hell of a jump from FMH to FM, and it can very easily be an issue with understanding, even if you think it isn't.

We need to know exactly what Roles and Duties you are using, Mentality, TIs, PIs, Team Shape in order to give tailored advice.

Fairly sure I adhered to most of those rules?

Fairly sure I adhered to most of those rules?

Most, but not all :brock:

If you want advice, we really need the whole lot, or else we wouldn't ask for it.

You've also applied some Team Instructions, and it would be useful to know what you believe each one does as it isn't always as transparent as you might expect.

Archived