Sports Interactive Community
JFYorkCity

Does buying better players actually do anything?

My question here is, does buying better players actually make your team any better? In my first season with West Ham I finished 6th. Second season I had an absolutely fantastic transfer window, got plenty of top quality players. Umtiti, in defence at 4-star, Cheryshev on the wing at 4-star. At least 3 and a half star in every position now. Despite having a much better team, however, my players just seem awful. Last season we were cruising, slaughtering teams twice as big as us, dominating possession, defending well, etc. This season my players are just ridiculous.

1)Defending is utterly shambolic, my players simply cannot tackle. The reasons for this are inexplicable because I significantly improved my defence from last year.

2)Players just don't seem any better in general.

3)Diafra Sakho has gotten worse for some reason even though his stats have improved. Last season he was scoring for fun, now he's scored 1 in 10 games.

Now I can understand people saying that game shouldn't just be about buying good players and winning every match with them. I get that. But surely having a brilliant transfer window like I did has got to at least slightly improve my performances? What is going on? Team chemistry is fine, team morale is very good, nothing to do with tactics because the tactics are exactly the same. Everything points to my team being a real force this season, and yet they are just not. Any ideas?

... nothing to do with tactics because the tactics are exactly the same.?

Here is your problem. A failure to adapt. It is most definitely your tactics. You have a completely overhauled roster and you think your team will perform the same way? These are individuals, with different attributes and different styles of play, using the same tactics that you used with your old squad is unlikely to work at all.

Couple this with teams now taking you more seriously and adapting their approach to playing you, then you are gonna have a bad time unless you acknowledge that you need to change your tactics.

Here is your problem. A failure to adapt. It is most definitely your tactics. You have a completely overhauled roster and you think your team will perform the same way? These are individuals, with different attributes and different styles of play, using the same tactics that you used with your old squad is unlikely to work at all.

Couple this with teams now taking you more seriously and adapting their approach to playing you, then you are gonna have a bad time unless you acknowledge that you need to change your tactics.

If what you say is true then the game is pretty much ruined for me. I do not want to change my tactics every half season. I want to make a brilliant tactic that works and stick with it. The whole point of this game, at least I thought, is to be able to play the type of football you want to play. If you have to change your tactics constantly then this is a terrible feature in my opinion. How long has Arsene Wenger been playing his same style at Arsenal? What about Pep Guardiola? Is he gonna start long-balling with Munich anytime soon? Ridiculous. Plus, even if this was true, my team last season was oriented more towards possession which they weren't capable of playing as well as the team I have now, so they should be playing even better if anything.

I think it has to do with your team cohesion. If you made a lot of changes to your squad, then the preseason should be dedicated to team cohesion in team training and teamwork for match training. I learned this the hard way... Every preseason, I dedicate at least 1 week of team cohesion even if I have little changes to the squad.

Also the opponents seem to be more familiar with your tactic, so you have to change it up somehow. I always check to see what tactic my opponent and I used in the last 1-2 meetings (also check what tactic the scout thinks the opponent will use).

I think it has to do with your team cohesion. If you made a lot of changes to your squad, then the preseason should be dedicated to team cohesion in team training and teamwork for match training. I learned this the hard way... Every preseason, I dedicate at least 1 week of team cohesion even if I have little changes to the squad.

Also the opponents seem to be more familiar with your tactic, so you have to change it up somehow. I always check to see what tactic my opponent and I used in the last 1-2 meetings (also check what tactic the scout thinks the opponent will use).

So how do I check if my team cohesion is bad? My players all have great morale, and my tactics all have a full bar of knowledge of whatever it is.

If what you say is true then the game is pretty much ruined for me. I do not want to change my tactics every half season. I want to make a brilliant tactic that works and stick with it. The whole point of this game, at least I thought, is to be able to play the type of football you want to play. If you have to change your tactics constantly then this is a terrible feature in my opinion. How long has Arsene Wenger been playing his same style at Arsenal? What about Pep Guardiola? Is he gonna start long-balling with Munich anytime soon? Ridiculous. Plus, even if this was true, my team last season was oriented more towards possession which they weren't capable of playing as well as the team I have now, so they should be playing even better if anything.

You have 3 tactic slots, which is plenty to vary from meeting to meeting. Also you can change certain parts of your tactic as well, such as changing player role (ie FB to CWB) or team instructions (ie low tempo to even lower tempo). Sometimes I also change certain parts of my tactic depending if I'm home or away.

You have 3 tactic slots, which is plenty to vary from meeting to meeting. Also you can change certain parts of your tactic as well, such as changing player role (ie FB to CWB) or team instructions (ie low tempo to even lower tempo). Sometimes I also change certain parts of my tactic depending if I'm home or away.

Oh yeah, I change that type of thing all the time. Also yes I use all of my tactics slots (I think we should have more than 3) but flitting between them during a game doesn't do much to be honest. I'm not even sure it's my tactics that are the problem. It's the players, they are just not good enough I think. Thinking I maybe bought too many young players and they are bottling it.

So how do I check if my team cohesion is bad? My players all have great morale, and my tactics all have a full bar of knowledge of whatever it is.

I don't ever remember seeing that option. I just know from experience and from what others have told me. I think someone said its one of those hidden things.

You don't have to overhaul your tactics, look at Pep he clearly isn't playing in the same way at Bayern as he was with Barca. Your other example of Wenger is incorrect aswell. While he has maintained his basic philosophy he has very definitely changed his tactic many times throughout his career as Arsenal manager.

I am not saying you have to give up your philosophy, but to think that you can just develop one successful tactic, plug new players in and hit continue on your way to bigger and bigger successes is just naive.

Take a quick look at each of your new players PPM's and compare to your old players. Watch some more of the match and determine whether or not the opposition are now parking the bus against you instead of trying to take the game to you. This is a key area where so many tactics fall down, a failure to adapt to the change in the way opposition teams approach you. First season West Ham are a mid-table team at best, most teams will fancy taking some points from you, and as such will play to win, with your success in the first season teams will now take you more seriously and will look to shut you out, denying you the opportunities you had from your very same tactic in the previous season.

How far into your season with the new players are you? I've been playing mostly the same tactic for a few years now and I have noticed inconsistent performances in the first couple of months after an eventful transfer window, but then we usually recover. Also, it could be as simple as just changing your team instructions during the game- I recently did that with my team and have noticed mostly better (or at least more consistent) performances. Maybe you just need to change some player roles.

You might also want to ask around in the tactics forum.

It's not that difficult - I run a pretty standard 4-2-3-1, but sometimes I drop the AMC back to midfield as as advanced playmaker, or change the responsibilities of my center mids - if the tactic is sound, little adjustments to responsibilities or changing a team instruction or two won't wreck it. But pulling in a half-dozen transfers and expecting them to immediately elevate your results almost never happens if recent history is any indicator. It's like one of those press conference responses say "the minute a coach isn't willing to made adjustments, he's on his way down" (or whatever exactly it does say...)

What about Pep Guardiola? Is he gonna start long-balling with Munich anytime soon? Ridiculous.

According to whoscored, Bayern plays the second-most accurate long balls per game (very closely behind Wolfsburg) and the least inaccurate long balls per game.

What a crazy world we live in, eh? ;)

According to whoscored, Bayern plays the second-most accurate long balls per game (very closely behind Wolfsburg) and the least inaccurate long balls per game.

What a crazy world we live in, eh? ;)

The problem with stats is that people use them in wrong context just to throw it as like an argument to an other guy, without thinking much. I believe that the overall (long and short) Bayern pass quality is quite high since Pep give it a extreme attention!

So there is no wonder that there is a good accurate long ball played because you can`t just play short to get the ball where you want, but then if you actually watch the game they play most of the time short not meaning that they can`t pass long if needed.

Hell Guardiola made even Dante pass the ball instead of hoofing it at first sight! :p

The problem from the OP think has to do with team cohesion and morals they are very important and need time to fit in, another thing is when players are statwise slightely better then others but struggle because they are to young and need some playing time before they perform at their capacity level.

If you are just 10 games into season then it is normal and you should look to keep morals high and wait to blend in without changing constantly things, because if you do the team cohesion goes down and the bad performance continue for another couple of games.

That is the prize you have to pay if you want to change a lot of things in your club, you lose some points and maybe titles for the season where the changes take effect end need time to blend.

In my normal long term saves i struggle the first 2 seasons because i change a LOT when i start at a club where i want to stay, that is why i realized how important these cohesion and morals are hehe