New Stadium

My Fulham-Board agreed to build a stadium, but I can not find any info about it. I seem to remember some info about it in the club-pages on earlier versions, but I cant find anything now. It would be good to know the size and name of the statium at least. Anyone?

My Fulham-Board agreed to build a stadium, but I can not find any info about it. I seem to remember some info about it in the club-pages on earlier versions, but I cant find anything now. It would be good to know the size and name of the statium at least. Anyone?

The name of the stadium will only be decided after the stadium is built.

Is it sitting at "planning" on the boardroom screen? If so, I've had that a few times where it has suddenly appeared with no warning, usually with a two or three year lead time. Once it moves into actually building, you should hear something I think.

On my game with Chelsea, when planning was granted (2nd season i think) it told me in the news that it will be the Lampard Arena, 55,000(ish) seats, roof and ready in 2018.

They named the new stadium in mine the exact same...brilliant. I'd like it if you could have sponsors wanting to pay to have the stadiums named after them ala Emirates, Etihad that would be cool.

Names for new stadiums are absolutely ridiculous, no idea why they haven't been changed yet

It's not as easy to change as it seems on the face of it probably. Well, it's probably not "difficult" but more time-consuming. I've seen place names mentioned as a solution, but that would need work on the database to store relevant possible place names for a new stadium, as well as the researchers to actually provide them. For sponsor-based stadiums, they can't provide real sponsors unless they pay presumably, and fake ones would probably just seem as rubbish as the current solution.

I suppose they could just let the user choose the name when it's made, or let you nickname it as an easy fix, but not sure if they'd be for that. It's a difficult thing to get a solution that's right in all cases given how varying cultures name their stadiums.

It's not as easy to change as it seems on the face of it probably. Well, it's probably not "difficult" but more time-consuming. I've seen place names mentioned as a solution, but that would need work on the database to store relevant possible place names for a new stadium, as well as the researchers to actually provide them. For sponsor-based stadiums, they can't provide real sponsors unless they pay presumably, and fake ones would probably just seem as rubbish as the current solution.

I suppose they could just let the user choose the name when it's made, or let you nickname it as an easy fix, but not sure if they'd be for that. It's a difficult thing to get a solution that's right in all cases given how varying cultures name their stadiums.

So because it's time consuming they won't do it?

So because it's time consuming they won't do it?

Not really sure where I said that, but given it's a relatively low priority, and a considerable bit of work given the actual impact of the feature, then I can see why it's been kicked down a list of priorities, if it's even on that list to start with.

Not really sure where I said that, but given it's a relatively low priority, and a considerable bit of work given the actual impact of the feature, then I can see why it's been kicked down a list of priorities, if it's even on that list to start with.

It's been an issue for years though, I know it's not game breaking, but it just takes away an element of realism from the game

It's been an issue for years though, I know it's not game breaking, but it just takes away an element of realism from the game

Can't disagree with that. It's not the most important thing for me, but it's certainly something that would make things a bit more interesting. If the stadium was based around districts, you could visualise exactly where you're building. It would increase immersion. But it's probably in the pot of hundreds of other little things that would increase immersion.

Can't disagree with that. It's not the most important thing for me, but it's certainly something that would make things a bit more interesting. If the stadium was based around districts, you could visualise exactly where you're building. It would increase immersion. But it's probably in the pot of hundreds of other little things that would increase immersion.

I believe it's another related to the old "licensing issues". Not sure what ones, but that's what has been said before with districts.

The stadium names are so bad, and desperately need an overhaul. A really easy overhaul at that.

I can't image it is that time consuming to make lists of suburbs or relevant names that a stadium could potentially be named after.

For example, just dump the following districts of Liverpool into a table in the FM database. I found those via a simple Google search:

Aigburth

Aintree

Allerton

Anfield

Bebington

Bidston

Birkenhead

Bootle

Bowring Park

Brighton-le-Sands

Broadgreen

Childwall

Claughton

Clubmoor

Crosby

Croxteth

Edge Hill

Egremont

Everton

Fairfield

Fazakerley

Ford

Garston

Gateacre

Grassendale

Greasby

Great Crosby

Halewood

Higher Bebington

Hunts cross

Hyton

Kensington

Kirkby

Kirkdale

Knotty Ash

Knowsley

Litherland

Liverpool city centre

Moreton

Netherley

Netherton

New Brighton

New Ferry

Norris Green

Orrell Park

Page Moss

Port Sunlight

Prenton

Prescot

Princes Park

Sandfield Park

Seaforth

Sefton Park

Speke

Stockbridge Village

Stoneycroft

Tarbock

Thornton

Toxteth

Tranmere

Upton

Vauxhall

Wallasey

Walton

Waterloo

Wavertree

West Derby

Whiston

Wirral

Woodchurch

Woolton

Even for my local team, Wycombe, I managed to find a list of districts within 10 seconds:

Booker, Bowerdean, Castlefield, Cressex, Daws Hill, Green Street, Holmers Farm, Micklefield, Sands, Terriers, Totteridge and Wycombe Marsh.

But with those, they'll still want an official list from researchers, and if they want to do it right probably have some kind of conditions over which areas so that the stadium isn't built in an already densely packed area or something. Then you've got to do it for every side. It's a lot of information to add.

Plus, what exactly do you do with that list above? Liverpool now playing at the Upton Stadium? Is that any better than Liverpool Stadium or the Gerrard Arena?

Took you 10 seconds to get all that but imputing it into a usable database would take more than 10 seconds, and then you need to take into consideration how many teams there are in the game.

Personally I think I would prefer the time put into more important things.........

I don't think its just a matter of putting a list of names into the database as options. You have to identify the likely options for a given club, based on location, history, current development, space, etc. That is a significant amount of research and a fair bit of data to add in. And even still you would have people complaining over it with things like "No way Fulham could build there as there is a commercial develompent being planned" or "Chelsea wouldn't have enough room to build a stadium of that size in that location". It would be hard to get the options perfect and thus people would still complain.

I don't think its just a matter of putting a list of names into the database as options. You have to identify the likely options for a given club, based on location, history, current development, space, etc. That is a significant amount of research and a fair bit of data to add in. And even still you would have people complaining over it with things like "No way Fulham could build there as there is a commercial develompent being planned" or "Chelsea wouldn't have enough room to build a stadium of that size in that location". It would be hard to get the options perfect and thus people would still complain.

Agreed. Which brings me onto the point I missed out from my post. It's very difficult to write context into something like this, and that's something a choice of stadium name would really rely on. Without completely rewriting the module, and gathering a shed-load of data, there's still going to be a degree of eenie-meenie-minie-mo about the choice, with just the first part of the stadium name becoming random. For the record, area names would probably please me more than player names (unless it's South America or similar, where that's more common, but I digress) but it's nowhere near as easy to do as is sometimes made out.

Archived