Sports Interactive Community
diddydaddydoddy

Playing with 2 Trequartistas / playmakers...

What, in general, are the likely affects of playing with 2 trequartistas or 2 advanced playmakers upon the team? Thinking of BRs Liverpool playing with Coutinho and Lallana behind Sterling as a false nine. Do they get in each others way, double/half creative opportunities, how do you get them to compliment/play together etc?

False nines also act as playmakers quite often, so that trio will be stepping on eachother's toes. Seek to have some players make runs into the box instead of dedicating themselves to creating opportunities by passing.

i've only just bought the game so i've no real experience on this year's match engine. but i was thinking about starting with liverpool as well as they have an intriguing side if your tactical preference is to play down the middle.

i'd try and offer multiple playmaking options. in a trio of lallana, sterling and coutinho i'd try a false nine in front of a trequartista and a shadow striker. if your false nine gets marked out of the game you still have your trequartista to play through and vice versa. the shadow striker was hard to mark in '14 thus very effective.

I would always try and get your playmakers to offer something different, so in my side I have a Wide Playmaker and an Advanced Playmaker, so they are in different areas of the pitch, so they are not in each others way

IMO Coutinho is the only "playmaker" in that front 3 IRL. Yes the other 2 may be more creative than your standard Attacking Mids, but he's the main man.

Check out the box midfield thread for some thoughts around LFC's current set up.

I would always try and get your playmakers to offer something different, so in my side I have a Wide Playmaker and an Advanced Playmaker, so they are in different areas of the pitch, so they are not in each others way

Yeah, worked a 4-4-1-1 system with the same setup myself. Seems to work pretty well.

This thread opens a wider debate: Does any side really have more than one playmaker? For me, the playmaker is the guy that dictates the play & tempo. Even at Guardiola's Barca, filled to the brim with creative, technical players the guy that pulled the strings was Xavi. Messi, Iniesta et al were capable of moments of magic, but it was little Xavi Hernandez that everything ran through.

Im a big fan of having one playmaker, and building the other roles around them. I tie this into the philosophy advice given on here in regards to number of speciality roles versus team fluidity.

This thread opens a wider debate: Does any side really have more than one playmaker? For me, the playmaker is the guy that dictates the play & tempo. Even at Guardiola's Barca, filled to the brim with creative, technical players the guy that pulled the strings was Xavi. Messi, Iniesta et al were capable of moments of magic, but it was little Xavi Hernandez that everything ran through.

Im a big fan of having one playmaker, and building the other roles around them. I tie this into the philosophy advice given on here in regards to number of speciality roles versus team fluidity.

What happens if the opposition nullify your playmaker which your whole team revolves around?

What happens if the opposition nullify your playmaker which your whole team revolves around?

The Hodge - "if we put Sterling at the top of the diamond, he'll keep Pirlo busy and nullify the threat"...

match kicks off...

The Hodge - "bugger, they've moved him".

The Hodge - "if we put Sterling at the top of the diamond, he'll keep Pirlo busy and nullify the threat"...

match kicks off...

The Hodge - "bugger, they've moved him".

Doesn't quite work the same in FM for me, unless it's a very mobile role.

Doesn't quite work the same in FM for me, unless it's a very mobile role.

The point is, as the manager, you can move the playmaker to another position.

The point is, as the manager, you can move the playmaker to another position.

I wouldn't want have to constantly be moving my playmaker around, as he will be a specific position for a reason. This is why if I have only one playmaker I will go to a fluid philosophy at the least, therefore if my playmaker does become stifled, then other players are given more creative freedom in order to increase my chances of creating opportunities.

After two midtable finishes with Atalanta in my first two seasons I went on to win the double in my third, without adding much in the way of players, and I did it with a 4-1-4-1 utilizing two Wide Playmakers, a DLP (s) in MC and a False 9. I wouldn't say they got in eachothers way really, in fact it created a lot of really nice interplay, one-twos and such. Although it should be said that the idea behind the WPs was to create something akin to Inside Forwards, but remaining more defensively solid while taking more part in the build-up play. I could've done it by using another wide midfield role and setting them to cut inside, play narrower, cross less and such, and initially I did as I had the same feeling about "Too many cooks..." with regards to multiple playmakers. But then I just went ahead and did it, and it turned out very well.

I found a few downsides with this attacking approach though. One is that with attacking fullbacks you get a ridiculous amount of crossing opportunities playing this way, the full backs always have space. Which would be a good thing, if I had something other than midget WPs and F9s to get on the end of crosses. I could have games with 25 crosses, none completed. Another one is that I have a huge amount of shots each game, yet only convert a small percentage. This is with both team and a few individual instructions to shoot less. Has some to do with PPMs, but mainly due to not having an in-the-box player, meaning that many chances fall to my WPs who will be coming from narrow angles and who aren't natural finishers.

Thinking about changing the lone striker to something else, but the ones I have fit the False 9 role very well. Perhaps a CF (s) or DLF could serve me well, while giving me more of a presence in the box? Then again, I love the concept of the lone F9 enough to perhaps just sticking with it just for that reason alone.

I play with a Regista, Advanced PM, Roaming PM and a Tequartista.

I think as long as they aren't getting in each other's way it will work - having more than one quality outlet surely can't be a bad thing....

After two midtable finishes with Atalanta in my first two seasons I went on to win the double in my third, without adding much in the way of players, and I did it with a 4-1-4-1 utilizing two Wide Playmakers, a DLP (s) in MC and a False 9. I wouldn't say they got in eachothers way really, in fact it created a lot of really nice interplay, one-twos and such. Although it should be said that the idea behind the WPs was to create something akin to Inside Forwards, but remaining more defensively solid while taking more part in the build-up play. I could've done it by using another wide midfield role and setting them to cut inside, play narrower, cross less and such, and initially I did as I had the same feeling about "Too many cooks..." with regards to multiple playmakers. But then I just went ahead and did it, and it turned out very well.

I found a few downsides with this attacking approach though. One is that with attacking fullbacks you get a ridiculous amount of crossing opportunities playing this way, the full backs always have space. Which would be a good thing, if I had something other than midget WPs and F9s to get on the end of crosses. I could have games with 25 crosses, none completed. Another one is that I have a huge amount of shots each game, yet only convert a small percentage. This is with both team and a few individual instructions to shoot less. Has some to do with PPMs, but mainly due to not having an in-the-box player, meaning that many chances fall to my WPs who will be coming from narrow angles and who aren't natural finishers.

Thinking about changing the lone striker to something else, but the ones I have fit the False 9 role very well. Perhaps a CF (s) or DLF could serve me well, while giving me more of a presence in the box? Then again, I love the concept of the lone F9 enough to perhaps just sticking with it just for that reason alone.

I'm curious about your formation. Is it a 4141 with a DM and a midfield 4? Or with a MC and 4 attacking midfielders?

Considering the Ancelotti Christmass Tree formation as it played out during his reign at AC Milan, I would say that he employed more than one playmaker.

Off course, everything went through Pirlo in his deeplying playmaker role. But Kaka, just behind Sheva or Inzaghi in a Complete Forward/Poacher role, played something of a Treq in my opinion and he was often the man with the final assist.

I have been playing around with an Ancelotti christmas tree in my save, employing both a deep lying playmaker and a treq with great succes:

-

................CF(s)..................

......Treq(a)......AM(a)...........

...BWM(s)...DLP(s)...CM(d).....

WB(s)...CD(d)...CD(d)...CWB(a)

...................GK...................

Please don't needlessly bump threads its against the rules.

Apologies, just wanted to give one or two members the opportunity to reply to requests in the thread.