5 Star Potential - Justification

I've been playing around for a bit with FM and a scouting program (checking on the effects of youth recruitment at different levels) and I got to thinking.

What's the justification in limiting a players PA to just the 5 stars in-game? If I'm managing the Dog & Duck and have a choice of signing either Mad Barry The Bouncer, a young 18 year old who's said who wants to come and play for us so he can "get into a few fights on a Sunday morning" and this young little 18 year old kid from Argentina called Lionel something-or-other - both could show in my Scout / Coach reports as 5 stars (PA) ..

However, the magic of technology tells us that Mad Barry only has a PA of 60, yet little Lionel a PA of 4,097 or thereabouts.

Are we to believe that we really couldn't spot the difference in potential between the 2 when we gave them both a week long trial?

Yes, I know it's a game and maybe it would give the player way too much of an advantage, but other than that - is there another justification for the limit or am I just missing something when looking at two 5 star potential players?

Freddy Adu made his first-team debut six months before Lionel Messi.

Maybe so, but for this reason or that, Freddy never reached the potential that he had - Messi did.

But that's comparing 2 players deemed to have a lot of potential (can't remember what Adu's potential was in previous versions). But when comparing Messi to Mad Barry - to your scouts and coaches, there isn't any difference between the two of them.

But when comparing Messi to Mad Barry - to your scouts and coaches, there isn't any difference between the two of them.

Nor should there be a difference...

The star system is only one way of judging the players... it's just an indicator to help guide you and not a definitive judgement on them.

The point being that the only reason you know the difference between the two players in your example is because you've used a 3rd party program to get a definitive judgement on how good potentially the players are..

There are countless examples of players who come through and are hailed as being the next world star, but fail to get anywhere near.

Both 5 star potential players are just that... potentially 5 star players, you're meant to nurture both players and see for yourself how you can shape them.

WHen you look at the scout report, it tells you where they see the player topping out. Both of your examples would be 5 star for your pub team, but then in the report Mad Barry would be listed as a "leading pub league player" Whereas Messi would likely be listed as "Leading Premier league player" or something like.

Welshace - I'd still say you could spot the difference easily .. hence why Mad Barry got overlooked by Barca and Messi didn't.

Dr. Hook - correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it just rate them as such against your countries league system? So Messi would be "Potential to be a star player in the Pub league" .. the same description that Mad Barry would get. If it said - "Potential to play at the highest level in the game and be the bestest ever (except against Ronaldo)", then fair-do's .. but I'm sure it only limits it to your countries league .. So if I'm a running a save in Rough Pub Country, then I still won't get any indication of just how good he could be (trust me, in my Welsh save, EVERY player I scout is 5 stars potential!!!)

I don't disagree when we're talking about players of similar potential ranges .. there is a marginal difference between a potential average Premier League player and Messi that could be hard to spot at 14 and who'll go onto to super-stardom as he matures. But when it comes to extreme ranges ... 200 PA vs 60 PA ..

Thinking on - I'll agree there might be one stand out difference between the two of them. The 200 PA might have his 5 Gold Star Potential .. yet he might, at 16, be a 4 Gold Star Current whereas the 60 PA - 1 silver star. You would think that at 16 the 200 PA kid would currently be "ahead" of the 60 PA which could hint at his higher PA.

You aren't meant to know their potentials in terms of the set PA figure...

The star system is intentionally not meant to be able to give you a definitive answer one way or another.. just like you can't in real life..

But the system can certainly tell the difference with the ranges you are talking about... depending on the quality of the scout etc of course.

Not really sure what change you would be suggesting as an improvement...surely you don't want to know a players PA directly.

No, wouldn't want to know the PA .. But an indication that differentiates between a player who would be a "star" in your team and a player who could be way better than what you could currently expect ..

Yes, as Dr Hook mentioned up above - if you're managing in the Conference league and you get a player, there is a clue in the reports that says "... could go on to be a good Championship player in the future" .. and that's good .. but, when you're already playing in the top league in your poor (in quality terms) country, being told he could be a " .. leading player in your Dog & Duck league" isn't really helpful .. EVERYONE could be a leading player in my Dog & Duck league .. So more / better descriptive comparisons would be a start .. "Messi - has all the ingredients to go on to be a leading World star" .. "Mad Barry - potentially good for kicking people but not much else" .. yet in game, currently, they would both be classed as the aforementioned " .. leading player in your Dog & Duck league".

Archived