Speaking to players - a great way to get negative concerns

Congratulating players for getting their first selection or goal in their national team is getting some veird effects.

3 people: I wasn't scoring for you! (well I did of course knew that, just wanted to say something positive). FX - the moral gone down, I am now a disliked person.

2 people: Don't need to be patroniesed. They fully belive in theirselfes. (Well, sorry for talking to you). FX - the moral gone down, I am now a disliked person.

I think this is silly and will talk to players anymore if I mustn't.

Well if there were certain things you could say to players that always got a positive or neutral response, then wouldn't that be pointless? You would just identify those options, say them at every opportunity without thinking and it would just be a grind.

• Administrators

Partially it depends on how well liked and respected you are as their manager. If you're say a Sunday League Repped manager at a Premier League club, a player, until they respect you, won't really care if you congratulate them about winning a cap/scoring a goal.

In my home career game I've never had a negative reaction to one of these, but I'll rarely do it with a player who appears to have low professionalism (say trains badly, complains quickly about other issues) as I know they're likely to take things badly. It's all about making sure you're in the right position in-game to make good use of these.

3 people: I wasn't scoring for you! (well I did of course knew that, just wanted to say something positive). FX - the moral gone down, I am now a disliked person.

Even more annoying when you are also the manager of their national team, and were, in fact scoring for you

Archived