FM 14.3.1 vs FM 15.2.1

I have FM 14.3.1 .. I'm into a long term save and enjoying it.. I wanted to buy FM 15 but from what i'm hearing on here, apart from the match engine improvements which are debatable, 14.3.1 is superior in terms of player interaction, scouting, U.I., and the other tenets of the game..

So what do you guys think?

Note that I am a casual player :)

Match engine - I don't see any difference, except that the graphics are nicer, goalkeepers especially. But I use virtually identical tactic I used in FM14, works the same in FM15.

Player interaction - Players are now harder to please with regards to playing time, but as with every "new and improved" feature in every new edition of FM, this has gone to the extreme, where you can have a rebellion for selling some crap youth players. A step back, cause it brings trouble and nothing else (that would be justified, if any of it made any sense; also, it happens rarely, but when it does, you can bet you're gonna have a series of illogical, baffling events in your squad).

Scouting - All it does is take a bit longer than before. Also, scouts now don't show you all there is to know, unless they are 20/20, or so. A scout with lower ratings won't show you some information that a better scout would. But, and here it is, if the information is there, you can count on it being correct, which does not make sense (a bad scout should say, e.g., that a player is good in big games, and then it turns out that he player sucks in big games; meaning, information would still be there, but it would be wrong).

UI - Yes, a major step back, terrible, clumsy, with really ugly colours. You can just about get used to it, but it just keeps annoying you :D

Press conferences - Oh, God, EVEN MORE of pointless 5-answer questions that you have to do, cause your assman will mess everything up. My heart missed a beat the first time I saw a "tunnel interview". They also often make no sense - Q1: Quite a few people were left surprised with you leaving Rafael out of the squad? Q2: Your squad selection has no surprises today, what are you thoughts about the match?

Your personal manager profile - I selected automatic, and it gave me top qualifications, for Man Utd. I distributed the points, the only benefit I see is that now I have to hire one coach less, because I can assign myself to training

Why do I play it? Basically, it has updated squads, though I couldn't wait to get rid of Falcao and Van Persie, I love them in real life, but in FM, they are really annoying. And it's FM, so I guess that's why. Though I do wonder sometimes why I buy it every year, and not, say, every other year...

Before this inevitably gets locked, download the demo, decide for yourself. There is nothing anyone can say on here that'll be remotely useful, as everyone's experiences and opinions are different.

Indeed, i do agree with what forameuss said. Download the game and give it a shot. You are the best person to judge for yourself. :cool:

I have FM 14.3.1 .. I'm into a long term save and enjoying it.. I wanted to buy FM 15 but from what i'm hearing on here, apart from the match engine improvements which are debatable, 14.3.1 is superior in terms of player interaction, scouting, U.I., and the other tenets of the game..

So what do you guys think?

I think if you ever pay any attention to the rubbish written on here, you'd never buy another FM game.

Also, referring to the last one as FM 14.3.1 is incredibly cringeworthy. It's FM14. End of. Just as this is FM15.

I think if you ever pay any attention to the rubbish written on here, you'd never buy another FM game.

Also, referring to the last one as FM 14.3.1 is incredibly cringeworthy. It's FM14. End of. Just as this is FM15.

the reason for that is, FM 14 when it was first released was definitely not as good as when it was patched up all the way to 14.3.1 ..

So i said it that way to imply that it's the fully patched version and this years yet-to-be-fully-patched version..

But yeah, if i get the demo, it will be the release version of the game and not the .2.1 patch where some of the bugs have been dealt with.., so that is gonna give me a bad impression of the game even though it is "currently" better.

that's why i wanted opinions, coz money ain't come cheap man.. (:

Note that I am a casual player :)

Match engine - I don't see any difference, except that the graphics are nicer, goalkeepers especially. But I use virtually identical tactic I used in FM14, works the same in FM15.

Player interaction - Players are now harder to please with regards to playing time, but as with every "new and improved" feature in every new edition of FM, this has gone to the extreme, where you can have a rebellion for selling some crap youth players. A step back, cause it brings trouble and nothing else (that would be justified, if any of it made any sense; also, it happens rarely, but when it does, you can bet you're gonna have a series of illogical, baffling events in your squad).

Scouting - All it does is take a bit longer than before. Also, scouts now don't show you all there is to know, unless they are 20/20, or so. A scout with lower ratings won't show you some information that a better scout would. But, and here it is, if the information is there, you can count on it being correct, which does not make sense (a bad scout should say, e.g., that a player is good in big games, and then it turns out that he player sucks in big games; meaning, information would still be there, but it would be wrong).

UI - Yes, a major step back, terrible, clumsy, with really ugly colours. You can just about get used to it, but it just keeps annoying you :D

Press conferences - Oh, God, EVEN MORE of pointless 5-answer questions that you have to do, cause your assman will mess everything up. My heart missed a beat the first time I saw a "tunnel interview". They also often make no sense - Q1: Quite a few people were left surprised with you leaving Rafael out of the squad? Q2: Your squad selection has no surprises today, what are you thoughts about the match?

Your personal manager profile - I selected automatic, and it gave me top qualifications, for Man Utd. I distributed the points, the only benefit I see is that now I have to hire one coach less, because I can assign myself to training

Why do I play it? Basically, it has updated squads, though I couldn't wait to get rid of Falcao and Van Persie, I love them in real life, but in FM, they are really annoying. And it's FM, so I guess that's why. Though I do wonder sometimes why I buy it every year, and not, say, every other year...

You say you play virtually the same tactic in FM14 as you now play in FM15. How are you finding the difficulty of FM15 compared to FM14..are you finding FM15 too easy? The match engine seems better on FM15 but Im not sure if the AI isn't good enough to compete against you in FM15 so its destroying the game as a challenge now.

I had a game on FM13 I loved, bought FM14 and never got into it mainly because of my loved FM13 save. So for me it ended up being a waste of money.

But in my opinion, barring a few player interaction issues, FM15 is my favourite Football Manager game so far. So I'd definitely say give it a go :)

the reason for that is, FM 14 when it was first released was definitely not as good as when it was patched up all the way to 14.3.1 ..

I sunk well over 2500 hours into FM14, and I have absolutely no idea what the 'patch number' is. To me, it's just FM14. I enjoyed my saves all throughout its lifespan. But then I don't play the game solely to look out for things wrong with it.

Similarly, I'm not really sure what number we're up to on this one. At the end of the day, it's the same game, regardless of how many updates they do to it.

You say you play virtually the same tactic in FM14 as you now play in FM15. How are you finding the difficulty of FM15 compared to FM14..are you finding FM15 too easy? The match engine seems better on FM15 but Im not sure if the AI isn't good enough to compete against you in FM15 so its destroying the game as a challenge now.

I wouldn't say FM15 is too easy, though I might just be a terrible manager :D I started the game in December of the season before, so I get an extra transfer window, to reinforce my squad. With such a team (Man Utd), I won the league in the 1st season, with two points over 2nd placed Tottenham. I had good runs the whole season, a handful of defeats only (mostly to Chelsea -.-). I started my 2nd season now, we're 2nd on the table so far. In short, to me it is about the same as FM14 when it comes to tactics, although player interaction makes it artificially harder, cause they're pretty much insane in this year's edition.

I sunk well over 2500 hours into FM14, and I have absolutely no idea what the 'patch number' is. To me, it's just FM14. I enjoyed my saves all throughout its lifespan. But then I don't play the game solely to look out for things wrong with it.

Similarly, I'm not really sure what number we're up to on this one. At the end of the day, it's the same game, regardless of how many updates they do to it.

Alright Dave, you seem quite knowledgeable .. i've been monitoring posts on SI's forum for a long while even though i don't post much myself.. and i respect yours and milnerpoints' posts most...i always love to hear what you two have to say on matters, and you guys post way more often than i do. So perhaps you're best placed to answer my next question..(I would've started another thread, but no need for that i reckoned)

So here it is.. In FM 14, which i currently play, if i'm Fiorentina for instance and play a team of equal stature to myself, say Lazio and absolutely play them off the park because they just employed a new manager with different ideas to their former manager.. and i win 5-1 at home..

will they learn from that and really adjust their tactics to try not to make the same mistakes in the corresponding fixture at their own home?

What i mean to ask is, i know this gets bantered in the forums here quite a bit, but really.. do the AI managers really learn from their mistakes and employ certain techniques and do things differently when they've been beaten by you in the past, just as a real human manager would do?

You spend how much time on here daily in a thread with the patch number on relentlessly defending the game, no matter what the problem is or how bad it is, yet you don't know what patch number we're on? Have a day off son, because that makes you one of two things. Thick or a liar. Neither's good, is it?

Archived