Playing effectively with a high defensive line

Hi guys,

I've had a bit more success recently on FM but one thing I'm still struggling with is a high defensive line. I want to play this way to make things compact and to keep the ball away from my goal so my keeper can't drop me in it! The problem I find is that quite a few of our goals are from long punts up field that my defence just don't react to.

I know balls over the top are a big weakness of the high defensive line but it seems my defenders just can't react. All of my centre backs have good positioning and awareness stats. I also use one as a CD (Cover) but he doesn't really seem to drop deeper like the role suggests. Does anybody have advice on how to make a high line more effective? Any team instructions you should look to use/avoid?

Cheers!

I would play two straight up CD(D)'s for playing a high line rather than split the roles to have a cover. You are better off trying to play offside with the high line in my view, apart from them needing high anticipation and positioning as you stated they will also need good acceleration and pace to get them running if the ball is coming over and I would also recommend a sweeper keeper with similar pace and probably rushing out as well to get him to clean up behind you if long balls do come over!

That ought to help but personally like you it is not something I have ever stuck with, like the ieda but never had the players to pull it off! Good luck

I would play two straight up CD(D)'s for playing a high line rather than split the roles to have a cover. You are better off trying to play offside with the high line in my view, apart from them needing high anticipation and positioning as you stated they will also need good acceleration and pace to get them running if the ball is coming over and I would also recommend a sweeper keeper with similar pace and probably rushing out as well to get him to clean up behind you if long balls do come over!

That ought to help but personally like you it is not something I have ever stuck with, like the ieda but never had the players to pull it off! Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I took your advice and started playing with the offside trap and it seems to be working so far. We're not getting beaten over the top by long punts any more. I also changed my full backs from CWB (s) just to WB (s) and my back four is keeping a really nice shape now and finally looks like a unit!

Balls over the defence is the best way to counter a high defensive line. With that said, one thing to have in consideration is that for a high d-line to work the rest of the team should also press high. So if you play with 2 DMs for example then it's probably not the best option.

Archived