Sports Interactive Community
TheBigBoss

Solid Defence is impossible

I'm sorry I've come to the conclusion that having a solid defence on this game is near enough impossible regardless of who you are. Every save I've had I concede a stupid amount of goals I'm Stoke now and I've conceded 32 in 14. Before people start questioning my tactics I usually change it from team to team so my tactics for Stoke wouldn't be the same as what I'd play for Arsenal. I've done 3 premierleague saves on fm and I've had the same problem in all 3

In the first season with Stoke my team conceded 45 goals in the league, which left us with the 4th best record in the league playing a defensive 4-2-3-1. I'd suggest heading over to the tactics forum as there are a few threads - which are a bit of heavy reading - but certainly help explain the defensive aspects of the game. But with Begovic, Shawcross, Huth & N'Zonzi sat infront it should be quite straight forward to make a solid defensively tactic there.

please, the goals I am conceded are beyond stupid as well.

Indirect free kicks to the far post = always goal

stupid passback that GK just dithers at.

random penalty at a corner, or from defender doing something random.

its lucky the main weakness is balls over the top... which never = goal for some odd reason.

its lucky the main weakness is balls over the top... which never = goal for some odd reason.

The passback makes want to pull my hair out the pass is clearly underhit which happens at times to be fair but the keeper does absolutely nothing just stands there

For that issue try changing your keeper to a sweeper keeper, they're far more likely to come out of the box in those situations. I usually used to notice it happening when I played a high defensive line, and that makes sense to an extent, if you have your defenders pushing up, or they're coming out of position because you have them set to close down too often and there is no one infront to cover them (or they're having to step up to cover for wayward midfielders) it can happen.

Current save:

In my first season, with a midtable team in German 3. division, I conceded 42 goals in 38 matches.

I am in my second season now, my tactics are all fluid, and I know my players' strengths, which both lead to a more solid defense. In my first 10 matches, I conceded 5 goals only, and I have 7 clean sheets.

Sorry for you, but IT IS your tactics. I saw in another thread a person moaning like you guys, and he posted his tactic, and it was an absolutely ridiculous 4-2-2-2 (or 4-2-4).

1: I got seriously upset in a game and moved all my players across the midfield line, so they were all in the opposing area, except for the GK, since the game refuse to accept a tactics without a GK.

2: I didn't lose the match, didn't have any trouble at all defensively, even while most of my players was played out of position and everyone was standing across the midline most of the game.

Tactics is not all that important. Team Talks and Press Conferences can win you most matches, even with horribad tactics.

I hardly ever concede and I'm using Hull. Your defensive woes aren't an issue with the game...It's your tactic. Probably more specifically, your player instructions and preferred roles.

Every FM I have played I have managed to develop a strong defence even within the first season when 90 - 70% of my squad is inherited.

It could be from only having Italian football to watch for most of the 1990's and enjoying the defensive nature. I learnt far more about team shape, movement and PATIENCE than from watching anything since.

My 11th match just ended 0-0. That makes it 5 goals conceded in 11 matches, and 8 clean sheets. Stop blaming the game. Acknowledging that it is your tactics, is the first step to improve the situation.

Three years on here and close to 8,000 posts and you still cannot understand the game? You repeat what you cannot understand every year multiple times, may I suggest finding something easier to play. Or using your time and going to watch the team you support and learning about Football.

Three years on here and close to 8,000 posts and you still cannot understand the game? You repeat what you cannot understand every year multiple times, may I suggest finding something easier to play. Or using your time and going to watch the team you support and learning about Football.

How is anything about this post helpful? This is one of the worst posts I have seen TBH. Nothing worse than telling someone to go play another game... sad really.

I happen to agree that this seasons version is much more difficult to play a solid defensive game and clean sheets are fewer than previously. It is the way of football right now though it seems.

I'm having an awful time with FM15, but that's mostly because I'm playing LLM and my team is less than gifted. But my goal differential is in the single-digit negatives, so I'm not complaining.

How is anything about this post helpful? This is one of the worst posts I have seen TBH. Nothing worse than telling someone to go play another game... sad really.

I happen to agree that this seasons version is much more difficult to play a solid defensive game and clean sheets are fewer than previously. It is the way of football right now though it seems.

They have been posting the same old crap edition after edition they are better finding something else to do. This is an advice forum i'm giving mine.

Why bother if it causes so much bother? And why the **** keep buying it?

Some in this very thread are able to play without conceding a lot of goals, so it's definitely possible. If you're struggling, get a better understanding by asking in the tactics forum.

There's nothing tricky about setting up a solid defence. I'm into my sixth season with Southampton and we have never conceded more than 30 goals in a 38 game league schedule.

This season, I am conceding less than 0.5 per game, half way through the season.

scott MUFC complains but has posted an image in the Good Player / Team forum showing just four goals conceded in ten matches, so I'm not sure what people want? No mistakes from players?

To the OP. Post your tactical setup (any one of the ones you said you use) and get some feedback and advice on how to make it more defensively sound. If you are conceding so many goals then there is obviously something wrong there. Also note what goals you are conceding and look for patterns; if you are conceding a lot from set plays, work on the set piece settings. If one of your flanks is being exposed, provide additional cover there, etc. There are always ways to make a team more solid, but you are always going to concede goals at some point.

To the people complaining about goals attributed to bad luck (bad back passes, penalties at corners, mistakes etc). If you a good defence teams will struggle to play through you, so naturally the majority of the goals conceded are going to be through mistakes by your own defenders. I imagine that defenders make mistakes at a relatively constant rate, depending on their skill, and they give a fairly consistent number of goals against you a season (and for you, I should note). For arguments sake, lets say mistakes yield 15 goals a season (this is arbitrary and illustrative). If you concede 45 goals one season, and 30 goals the next, due to tactical changes that shore up a defence, then the proportion of goals that come from a mistake goes from 1/3 to 1/2. You are always, always, always going to have mistakes in football. You are always going to concede goals that cost you matches because of them.

In my last two seasons I have conceded 29 and 26 goals in 30 games with a very attacking tactic.

As long as the structure is sound you will have no problem getting clean sheets.

I got the park the tank medal the other night, 10 clean sheets in a row i think. Its more than possible.

I got the park the tank medal the other night, 10 clean sheets in a row i think. Its more than possible.

I'm 2-3 games away from that, I'll be livid if I miss out tonight!

Solid defence is not impossible. The right formation and set up, opposition will have a hard time scoring against you. I've got the best defence almost every year now, including the first few seasons when I don't even have good defenders. I'm playing as Wolves. Setting up a good defensive scheme for your team is certainly not impossible.

Far from impossible. In fact it's relatively easy if you find/develop a good tactic. Even my OB side with poor defenders have 4 clean sheets in 7 games so far this season.

The tactics forum is where you need to go :)

I played as Norwich City and managed to keep the goals down ... both in the championship and the premiership. Is possible, I did it with a 4-5-1, packing the midfield and playing a short-passing ball retention tactic. Set them to play narrow, with a pressing game.

Depends on the players you've got and getting a tactic to fit... on the flip side I didn't score many either!

I play a 4-1-4-1 and for the past 6 seasons I've always been best or second best defence in the league... around 35 goals conceded in 42 games.

What makes me laugh is my strikers are always missing sitters, don't jump at corners to head the ball....

No problem for the AI tho, they score chances like they Aguero or Messi, I dominate games(even tho the players never do what I want I might add)

Horrible ugly game this year, Previous FM's at least did set-pieces correctly, I've given up doing instructions and giving up on the game.

This year's ME is light years ahead of the past ME's in terms of responsiveness/sensitivity to tactical changes, and that's what makes it fantastic for me. My players are trying to behave exactly how I want them. Some of them succeed, whereas some of them fail, but they all try.

I am a defense first kind of person, and I am totally enjoying watching my rock solid defense in the game. Once my team takes a 1-0 lead, it is so much fun for me to watch the AI opponent to strive for the equalizer and push forward, only to hit a brick wall of 4 defenders and 2 ball winning defensive midfielders. And if AI takes the lead in the games, I simply ask my DMC's to go further forward, and this time I start attacking with pretty much 8 men, including my two winbgacks supporting the attack from the flanks. Very solid tactic so far for me, but took me almost 1 whole season to find the perfect balance, by trying different player roles and observing the very visible (that's the best part of this ME) effects of those changes.

Now I am working on a 4-3-3 with 2 inside forwards, to use as a backup tactic. Since my team got more successful in the second season, the AI teams started playing a little more defensive against me, and clogging my attacking passing lanes lately. But from defensive point of view, my first tactic is clear proof that it is perfectly possible to have very solid defense in this game.

Anyone else finding that your teams concede a huge amount of free kicks around your own penalty?

Person posts legit issue.

People reply saying tactics.

And nobody was surprised.

Anyone else finding that your teams concede a huge amount of free kicks around your own penalty?

Yes. But that's 100% because I play 2 ball winning defensive mid-fielders who do their job properly.

Nope, sorry.

Just looked at the analysis from my past few games and I had barely any conceded around the penalty area.

I'm averaging a little under a goal per game conceded, which is pretty much on par with real life.

I've had low scoring / clean sheet games away at Old Trafford , Stamord Bridge , The Etihad and Anfield.

I've shut out Dortmund and Munich in their own grounds in the CL etc etc.

Oh and this is all with an attacking mentality but good midfield pairings , a solid defence is absolutely possible in this ME.

got iron curtain second season in using sakho,lloyd jones,caulker as my cbs (4-3-3) help i got ruben neves as dmd in front of em and balanta as LB ,flanagan as rb

Well I'm with wigan in a brand new save, I have played 15 games 5 preseason 8 championship 2 capital one cup games

My results

2-0 won

3-1 won

2-0 won

3-0 won

2-1 won

preseason results

1-0 won

2-0 won

7-0 won

3-0 won

3-0 won

3-0 won

4-1 won

2-0 won

2-2 Drawn

7-1 won

capital one cup and skybet championships results.

has you can see I have no problem with conceding goals I use a perfect tactic 451 - GK - RB CB CB LB - CDM RM CM LM AM - ST, Defensive - Very Fluid I just take every game has it comes I have only brought in a loan player for my am he's 17 year old but deadly and a free transfer who can play lm rm.

I'm talking about HOW the goals are conceded, not how many are conceded such rudeness on here is stupid, recent games AI hasn't had chance to get near defence, but there are those blips where you get lucky.

I see it time and time again version after version, so yes i post about time and time again because IT LOOKS UNREALISTIC, I see a slide tackle, goes to opponant player, then again, both times directly to their feet off some silly angle, I want to see the actual tackle direction or the ball follow a realistic path.

Edited by scott MUFC

11 minutes ago, scott MUFC said:

I'm talking about HOW the goals are conceded, not how many are conceded such rudeness on here is stupid, recent games AI hasn't had chance to get near defence, but there are those blips where you get lucky.

I see it time and time again version after version, so yes i post about time and time again because IT LOOKS UNREALISTIC, I see a slide tackle, goes to opponant player, then again, both times directly to their feet off some silly angle, I want to see the actual tackle direction or the ball follow a realistic path.

So...continue to post it in the bugs forum rather than bump an eighteen month old thread that's talking about a Match Engine that may as well not exist now?

4 hours ago, forameuss said:

So...continue to post it in the bugs forum rather than bump an eighteen month old thread that's talking about a Match Engine that may as well not exist now?

In my Stockport save I play 442, wide midfielders on support, one central mid on support, the other on defend, two fullbackson limited, two cd's on defend.  loads of clean sheets, if anything creating chances is my problem, quite a few nil nils, but it is certainly possible to create a solid defence