Sports Interactive Community
ctmckay

Real Madrid 4-4-2 Ancelotti?

Currently playing as Feyenoord in my my first season Top of the league and deeper in the europa league that I was expected to go. For the whole season I've

been using my Sampaoli inspired tactic which I created for last years game. But as I go deeper into the europa league I'm finding teams with much superior

passing stats work the ball past my high block and therefore leaves me vulnerable. So I've decided to create a separate tactic, very similar to the one Real

madrid have used this season often and used last season against Bayern. I've studied Madrid and came up with what I thought was an interpretation of how they play, but so far my attempts have failed. Can anyone potentially shed some light as to where I'm going wrong.

The key points I believer to be the Real tactic are that:

1)They drop deep and allow teams to come onto their banks of 4.

2) Once they are in their banks of 4 they squeeze the space aggressively in an attempt to win the ball back, and counter.

3)Once they have the ball they play wide, and attack using their 2 forwards the wide midfielders and the left back overlapping.

4) The strikers look to run the channels and pull out wide.

5)The 2 Cm's rarely get up to the box, and are more used to recycle the possession and keep things ticking over.

As a result of these points I decided on the below formation and player roles.

........................Pratto............................Senghor...............

........................DLF (s)............................CF(a).................

.........Vilhena............Mercier.........Clasie..........Boetus........

.......AP(a)/WM(a).......CM(d)..........CM(s)..........WM(a)........

.........wilkshere............Kongolo.........Matijsen..........Bellerin........

..........CWB(a)...............CD(d)............CD(d).............FB(s).........

............................................Vermeer.....................................

..............................................GK(d)......................................

TI's: Exploit the flanks (so as to attack down the wings), Drop deeper/ Much deeper (draw teams onto us), Play out of defense(prevent us hoofing it long), Much higher tempo(get from A-B as quick as possible), get stuck in (Win the ball) , and stick to positions (stay in the banks defensively)

PI's: I set individual Closing down for my players:

FB's - Close down more (to squeeze the space behind the wide midfielders, and pin the wingers to the sidelines)

WM's - Close down more (Pins the wing backs to the sideline)

Team Shape: Structured (because I want to keep to a specific shape)

Mentatlity:Attacking (because I want my team to be aggresive from a deep area to win it back, and then counter at speed)

Something is obviously going wrong here, would love to see what peoples thoughts are on why? am I being naive in thinking I can use the Attacking mentality in a formation based around countering? I'm a big fan of the way madrid are playing at the moment, and it's bugged me knowing that I've struggled to

re-create it.

Just looking at the tactic, there are a few elements that I would look at:

1) An attacking mentality, even with Drop Deeper, will still see your team playing with a fairly high block. The TIs like Drop Deeper and Push Higher are mentality relative, so to play with a lower block, you need to play with a lower mentality.

2) Exploit the Flanks may see your wide defenders being too quick to commit to the attack. If you simply want to direct play down the flanks, Play Wider may be more along the lines of what you want.

3) The team is instructed to close down aggressively, but on top of the fairly high line, this means your players won't be inclined to either drop into or keep defensive shape.

4) Stick to Positions relates to roaming and mobility in attack, so it doesn't directly affect defensive positioning.

5) Are you getting enough penetration on the ball from your wide players? WMs are good for setting up passing plays but they're not particularly inclined to try to beat their man directly.

6) The CM(S) will tend to get up around the box after helping with build-up play. A DLP or second CM(D) might be closer to what you want.

7) Personally, I'd interpret the Ronaldo role as a CF(S) with a "Move Into Channels" PI. In any case, your support striker should have "Move Into Channels" set.

As well as the excellent advice from THOG, i think you also need to think about whether 442 is really the madrid shape? It can be very hard define because of the freedom that the madrid attacking talent is given, but for me it is more 433 or, at times, 4213.

There is little doubt that both CR7 and Benzema play as forwards of some kind. They are very fluid in swapping positions with each other, but notionally i guess Benzema starts in the CF position with CR7 off to the left somewhat. IN the games i have watched this season, most of the time James (or Bale occasionally when fit) have started as a right sided forward in a 433. The middle 3 tend to be Kroos and Modric who both sit deep, and on a fair few occasions this year Isco, who has drifted all over the place, and added to the "interchanging" by sometimes appearing on either flank with James or CR7 moving more central.

I think the only occasion i have seen them with CR7/Bale/James all start (i know they have started more than once together, i just mean i have only seen one of the games), It was 433 again with James moved to the central midfield "roaming" role that Isco has played. In actual fact, doing some research it seems James/Kroos/Modric have started more games as a midfield trio than i thought.

Very hrad to recreate the fluid movement of so many of the players. For example Ramos bombing forward from centre back at times (although you might be better off without this.....). Kroos being nominally the "holding player" but often appearing in the opposition area! There is a reason, i suppose, that no one can stop them at the moment!

Sorry, i probably have not been overly helpfull there reading it back, but overall i would say you need to look at 433 or even 4213 as the madrid shape?

Ok The Hand of God just incorporated your suggestions. I go 2-0 up after 10 mins against a similar rated opponent using my usual tactic. Decide to implement the changes you suggested as this is a perfect oppurtnity as they will be coming onto me looking to score. I got absolutely battered and lost 3-2 without creating a CCC and having my goal absolutely pounded by 24 shots.

1) I opted to go for a standard mentality and drop deeper - This looked really good the team dropped deeper than the attack mentality and looked a lot closer to 2 solid banks of 4.

2)I changed the RM to a winger and this too looked encouraging he was a lot closer to the strikers going forward very similar to James/Bale.

3) I changed the CM(s) to a DLP(s) this was so much better, Classie has tries long range passes PPM so was excited to see some verticality going on.

4)I changed my CF(a) to a CF(s) but as he was so deep when we started attacks he never looked like being on the end of anything as we worked our way up the pitch with speed.

5) noticed the build up from the back consisted of my Cb passing to my wide playmaker and then him trying to feed the channels (this never worked and we in turn kept losing the ball) - Will change him to a WM so the build up play doesn't run through him so much.

GOING FORWARD:

I'm not entirely sure on how to move forward to get this tactic working how I'd like, but my next step will most likely be changing the mentality to counter, but that would be purely to get my team to not allow so many shots on our goal. but that is not the only problem.

Any Ideas how to potentially move forward some more?

Jambo98

What they use is definitely not your traditional 4-4-2 thats for sure! But from what I've seen they tend to defend as a 4-4-2 then they attack as more of a 4-3-3 , on paper I hoped that using a wide playmaker would drag the wide player more centrally and play between the lines going forward. with the 2 Cm's holding creating a 3 man midfield on the attack. The CF(a) pulling wide, and my other wide midfielder pushing up as winger. and this should in theory create a similar formation going forward to your 4-2-1-3. But ofcourse it's never that simple!

what roles would you suggest for the midfield 3 if I opt to line up in a 4-2-1-3?

Jambo98

What they use is definitely not your traditional 4-4-2 thats for sure! But from what I've seen they tend to defend as a 4-4-2 then they attack as more of a 4-3-3 , on paper I hoped that using a wide playmaker would drag the wide player more centrally and play between the lines going forward. with the 2 Cm's holding creating a 3 man midfield on the attack. The CF(a) pulling wide, and my other wide midfielder pushing up as winger. and this should in theory create a similar formation going forward to your 4-2-1-3. But ofcourse it's never that simple!

what roles would you suggest for the midfield 3 if I opt to line up in a 4-2-1-3?

That is a very difficult question! Of course the roles/duty have to compliment your overall system/mentality/team shape, but as a stab...

LCM (Kroos) - Roaming Playmaker (Support) - He is a very mobile player, and although he tracks back very well, he also gets forward a lot. He is probably in the top 5 midfielders in the world at the moment so has the ability to roam

RCM (Modric/Illar) - CM (Defend) - I struggle to find the right answer here. Modric is slightly less mobile. I was tempted to say DLP(d) but you will end up with nothing but playmakers. If you did choose this role/duty i would maybe also reduce his closing down, which can be high by default with this role/duty

AMC (James / Isco) - Attacking Midfielder (Support/Attack) - This is tricky. James is again top drawer, and you could give him an APM duty or even a Treq. I might settle on the generic role and let his ability and PPM's shine through and take him where he needs to go.

I would also think about making them a flat 3 in midfield. That gives some more flexibility. The formation, of course, is only the defensive shape. You can create totally different shapes using role/duty and team shape. It might look 4321 on the tactical board but with the right combinations you can create something which looks very different attacking than defending.

I would add the disclaimer that i have no practical experience to base those 3 roles/duty ideas on! Just thoughts on how they might interact and reflect the real life play!

I'm not entirely sure on how to move forward to get this tactic working how I'd like, but my next step will most likely be changing the mentality to counter, but that would be purely to get my team to not allow so many shots on our goal. but that is not the only problem.

Any Ideas how to potentially move forward some more?

There are a couple of issues at the moment that make a deep transition style somewhat difficult to pull off against an aggressive opponent, so while this may seem somewhat counterintuitive, you may find it more advantageous to actually push up more when the opposition is coming at you. Against a more cautious opponent, I find this style is more effective since they still get stretched vertically but aren't quick to commit runners which ensures your defence has time to get compact and your support striker isn't so quick to be dragged into midfield when defending.

Against an aggressive opponent, Play Out of Defence can also be counterproductive since you'll typically have space for a vertical pass in transition while the opposition is trying to pin you back.

1) An attacking mentality, even with Drop Deeper, will still see your team playing with a fairly high block. The TIs like Drop Deeper and Push Higher are mentality relative, so to play with a lower block, you need to play with a lower mentality.

Great thread and this is some great advice. This point in particular is something I struggle with. How do you recommend setting up a low block defence with a fast counter-attack?

It seems to be that you have 3 options:

1. Counter + High Tempo + Direct Passing

2. Attacking + Drop Deeper + Stand Off

3. Standard + Drop Deeper + Stand Off + Higher Tempo + Direct Passing

So far I have tried 1 and 2 with a solid defensive shape but I am not quite getting the fast attack I am looking for.

Can someone help me understand the differences and merits of each approach?

I've found it very difficult to get fast transitions when combining a low mentality with short passing for the same reasons this approach is generally recommended for a possession style. You don't see direct balls up to the forward, so a counterattack isn't triggered and you end up with everyone staying deep to offer support for short passes out of the back as the opposition fullbacks recover position. It would probably help to encourage more dribbling among deeper players but I haven't experimented with this too much. You also should use "Much Higher Tempo" so deeper players don't linger on the ball. This will create a greater risk of giving away the ball in a dangerous area, but that's what you would expect if you try to transition quickly with a more technical style.

Control/Flexible with two attack duties out wide, a much deeper line and much less closing down might get you closer to a short passing fast transition style since you'll still have a low-ish block with a team keeping shape but with a greater general tendency to attempt forward passes.

My understanding behind using the counter mentality is that when there is a big enough opportunity your team will abandon their responsibilities and bomb forward looking to score. If an opportunity doesn't arise the team will pretty much hold it's shape and not risk getting forward as much.

But I've never been able to create a successful counter tactic, so I could be wrong. The only time i've ever gotten a quick counter is when on an attack mentality, But that's nowhere near reliable enough defensively.

I'd tried the Control mentality with a drop much deeper instruction as well as close down much less in my attempts to create a quick counter before and it turned out to not work all that well. Going forward it was great, arguably better than the attacking mentality but defensively it was poor.

My next attempt will be to set out with a counter mentality and up the tempo, like THOG suggested. I remember seeing a thread/post somewhere that showed the effect mentalities have on tempo and it showed that:

Attack = fast tempo

Control = Medium fast tempo,

Standard = Medium tempo

Counter = Low tempo

And that if you bump up the tempo TI you could achieve a different mentalities tempo.

or at least thats what I remember it saying? maybe I'm wrong if someone knows what thread/post i'm talking about that would be helpful.

I've found it very difficult to get fast transitions when combining a low mentality with short passing for the same reasons this approach is generally recommended for a possession style. You don't see direct balls up to the forward, so a counterattack isn't triggered and you end up with everyone staying deep to offer support for short passes out of the back as the opposition fullbacks recover position. It would probably help to encourage more dribbling among deeper players but I haven't experimented with this too much. You also should use "Much Higher Tempo" so deeper players don't linger on the ball. This will create a greater risk of giving away the ball in a dangerous area, but that's what you would expect if you try to transition quickly with a more technical style.

Control/Flexible with two attack duties out wide, a much deeper line and much less closing down might get you closer to a short passing fast transition style since you'll still have a low-ish block with a team keeping shape but with a greater general tendency to attempt forward passes.

Why would you suggest flexible? I went for balance because I understand that gives a wider differential between Attack and Support mentalities so you'd get more overlapping and more runners from deep.

The more I think I am tempted to use a standard mentality with team instructions for the low block and fast attack.

In any case, your support striker should have "Move Into Channels" set.

Why is this exactly? Possibly looking to find space?

Why would you suggest flexible? I went for balance because I understand that gives a wider differential between Attack and Support mentalities so you'd get more overlapping and more runners from deep.

The more I think I am tempted to use a standard mentality with team instructions for the low block and fast attack.

It will encourage them to move up more quickly to support the strikers. Generally, it shouldn't be necessary for a transition style, but as above, I find this style to be hampered on certain settings due to a lack of early forward movement from the midfield.

Why is this exactly? Possibly looking to find space?

Yes, though only as a means of replicating the style when Real play 4-4-2. Ronaldo moves wider to receive the ball from deep and create space to cut back in towards goal. On default settings, a support striker is more inclined to stay central and operate as a hold-up player through the middle. Both approaches can work, it just depends on what you want from the player.

In FM14 I made a very mean Real Madrid 4-4-2 on control + drop deeper + work ball into box and sometimes higher tempo, depending on the situation. Still imo, in fm15,

I saw better results on pitch with the same setting and without 'drop deeper' and 'higher tempo' , I was sttrugling bad with the roles up front, wanted both Benz and CR7 to stay up front, so used treq+cf-a, af+dlf-a without mch success in the desied interplay.

In another note, remember Ancelotti saying that Isco is good for the team because he adds more possession to the team.Btw saw some numbers today and Real are in the top 10 in europe in pass completion with 86% (PSG are the best with 88%), so Real isnt playing too direct football

Here's my current try at imitating the Ancelotti RM tactic:

Control-flexible

Casillas sweeper keeper defend

Carvajal WB support, Ramos BPD defend, Pepe CD defend, Marcelo CWB attack

Bale WM attack, Kroos roaming PM support, Modric DLP defend, James side PM support

Ronaldo AMLC as SS with roaming, channels, more through balls and less shooting (these last 2 to counter his selfishness)

Benzema STRC as DLF/CF support

Kroos and Modric swap. Ronaldo and James also swap, but Ronaldo plays as WM attack when at left mid.

Works very good so far (as you'd expect with the quality of RM). Not exactly a counterattacking style, but I find it very balanced. The triple playmakers hold possession when needed, but the control mentality counteracts this nicely by allowing them to play direct forward passes when opportunity arises. Ronaldo sits deep enough to be in space when we defend, but he doesn't bother tracking anyone so he's usually available to start a quick counter when we get the ball back. Bale supports his RB but is also the quickest to join Ronaldo in attack. James and Kroos move around in space, Modric screens and recycles possession, while the fullbacks provide width. The two banks of four defend pretty well although the CM duo is soft at times. They more than make that up in attack though.

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but it might help you configure your side. Good luck!

Ok don't want to get to carried away here but I think I may have something here.

Just played 2 preseason games against Man Utd and Porto (both teams who should take my Feyenoord side to the cleaners on paper)

I won 2-0 against Man Utd (fielding a very strong lineup) allowing only 1 shot on target to my 7. I also managed to surrender possession to them (barely) 49% while also creating two CCC's (one a penalty coming from a quick counter)

I also won 4-3 against porto I went up 3-0 before the half (2 goals coming from quick counters). 12 shots on target to their 4. 49% possession again! and 6 CCC's to their 2.

I will continue on to the regular season and champions league before I post my tactic as this may of just been some friendly related anomaly.

In previous years direct play seemed to work better, or maybe this year I didn't find the right personnel to pull it off.

So far, I have been more succesful replicating a counter attacking tactic using defensive mentality with higher/much higher tempo, exploit flanks (or left/right if you want to channel it down a particular side, i.e. opp players injured or booked). The decision making seems to be much better this way, rather than using the traditional counter-attacking mentality. It usually favors a safe approach, while at the same time it pulls off a few counters during the length of a game, depending on conditions.

Passing... bear in mind you have 2 options: do you really want the whole team to be more direct, or do you want certain players to be more direct? (team vs. player instructions).

Real Madrid imho plays rather an assymetric 4141, with CR playing in the AML position (the right midfielder is asked to do a more defensive job, that's why imho it's more adequate to use a MR there).

I have not tried it yet, but have you considered the "swap position with" player instruction for the central midfielders and the winger and striker?

I believe naturally the IF will already drift enough inside, and the ST will drift towards the wings.

here's a nice article on the subject http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/carlo-ancelotti-galacticos-analysing-real-madrid-tactics-2014-15-season

"4-4-2 is the best defensive system that exists and our intention is to defend with a 4-4-2 and attack with a 4-3-3” – Carlo Ancelotti.

Has anyone managed to defend properly with 2 banks of 4 ? I gave up pretty quick and sticked a DM between the lines

Has anyone managed to defend properly with 2 banks of 4 ? I gave up pretty quick and sticked a DM between the lines

Guilty!

I also switched from 442 towards a 4141, not only because of defensive issues but also I wasn't being able to make good use of the striker partnership.

Now I feel safer in defense with the DMC doing his thing (most of the time it's an Anchor man, sometimes a DLP/d). But also in attack... I can allow both CMs to be more attacking, and either in counters or positional attacks I prefer their movement, compared to a 2-striker system.

Although there's great flexibility, the FM engine still has some limitations related to shape, at least for the "sunday league manager".

Guilty!

I also switched from 442 towards a 4141, not only because of defensive issues but also I wasn't being able to make good use of the striker partnership.

Now I feel safer in defense with the DMC doing his thing (most of the time it's an Anchor man, sometimes a DLP/d). But also in attack... I can allow both CMs to be more attacking, and either in counters or positional attacks I prefer their movement, compared to a 2-striker system.

Although there's great flexibility, the FM engine still has some limitations related to shape, at least for the "sunday league manager".

I've managed 3 teams so far in fm15, every time I've ended up with 4141 and I'm bored

Guilty!

With all due respect, i think your last line is off the mark. Football has limitations to shape, for "Sunday league managers". You wont see many conference sides with advanced tactical set ups, using roles and duty type instructions to create movement and different attacking and defensive shapes. You will see it at Real Madrid, at Liverpool (badly at times...), at Chelsea, at Marseille etc.

The FM engine is absolutely fine at creating different shapes as long as you understand the footballing concepts and basics behind it. The early part of this thread had some good examples of exactly that - Making a defending 442 into an attacking 433. Its very much possible with the right roles/duty/PI/PPMs. Would be great to see if the OP, or anyone else in the thread doing the Real Madrid tactic can provide some nice examples of it for others to learn from :)

What about a 442 with 2 DMs?

Is that more solid defensively?

It can prevent teams getting into space between the lines - but it sometimes it can be harder to win the ball back with your players starting from a deep position. No right or wrong answer, works well sometimes, less others.

In my 4-4-2 with madrid I played

Af DLF s

Wp s dlp d ap s Wm a (Cut inside, dribble more to play more like an if a like Bale does)

Wb a cd c cd s W s

Madrid press in real life aswell. They don't just stand off when they lose the ball.

It can prevent teams getting into space between the lines - but it sometimes it can be harder to win the ball back with your players starting from a deep position. No right or wrong answer, works well sometimes, less others.

That space between the lines seems to be the cause of most defensive issues when playing 2 banks of 4.

I wonder if DM's would be a better representation in FM of the RL double pivot, because I feel MC's can't cover that area very well.

With all due respect, i think your last line is off the mark. Football has limitations to shape, for "Sunday league managers". You wont see many conference sides with advanced tactical set ups, using roles and duty type instructions to create movement and different attacking and defensive shapes. You will see it at Real Madrid, at Liverpool (badly at times...), at Chelsea, at Marseille etc.

The FM engine is absolutely fine at creating different shapes as long as you understand the footballing concepts and basics behind it. The early part of this thread had some good examples of exactly that - Making a defending 442 into an attacking 433. Its very much possible with the right roles/duty/PI/PPMs. Would be great to see if the OP, or anyone else in the thread doing the Real Madrid tactic can provide some nice examples of it for others to learn from :)

Thanks for your patronising reply, very instructive.

With "sunday league manager" I was refering to those of us "amateur FM players", or if you want "casual gamers", meaning that it's difficult for some of us to get in paper what we have in mind, particularly with some formations. Even spending time trying to tweak stuff, because of lack of vision, analysing ability or creativity, we are not able to get what we want.

Maybe quite a few of us have a very low IQ, because I recurrently see lots of threads with questions about how to make this or that formation or how to achieve a certain style of play, and apparently as you say it's just about understanding "footballing basics".

Regarding the "2DM duo", I have tried it a bit. As Cleon says they tend to sit a bit too deep in defense, almost getting in the way of the CBs and leaving a gap in the middle. And in attack, the DM that is in defend duty is once again sitting in front of the CB. Not very useful for recycling possesion.

I have also tried an assymetric version (1CM + 1DM) and I didn't like it.

I wonder if DM's would be a better representation in FM of the RL double pivot, because I feel MC's can't cover that area very well.

I think one of the solutions could be to ask both CMs to "close down less". That way they seem to be more willing to stay central, and you don't leave gaps in the middle. I use it both in 442 and 4141.

Also... depending on the opposition, you may want to ask 1 CB to be a stopper, but I'm not too keen on the central players closing down.

I found that according to the player instructions the best way to turn a defensive 4-4-2 shape into an attacking 4-3-3 is follows:

In midfield: wide playmaker (s) - with the support duty the WP will come inside to sit in a central midfield position when the team have the ball.

DM(s) - steps into the midfield line to support attacking moves.

Anchor man/ DM (d) - sit in the whole between defence and midfield.

Winger (a) - Run at the defence in final third. PPM should be cut inside.

Up Front: CF(s) - to the left of the 3 slots.

DLF (as) - in the middle of the 3 slots.

Defensively it should look pretty much link a bank of four (I chose to play Dm's as when I play CM(d) I get destroyed by the oppositions AM's.

......................CF(s)........................DLF(a)..................

...WP(s)...............................................................W(a)

.....................DM(s).........................DM(d)

In attack it should become a 3.

...........................DLF (a)

...........CF(s).....................................Winger (a)

...................Wp(s)...............DM(s)..................

.............................DM(d)

This is the closest I have come so far to replicating what real madrid have done purely through roles alone, it may not always look like this in engine but, the fact that the roles indicate something like this is possible, gives hope that, you can defend in one formation and attack in another within the game so how.

Let me know what you think? is there roles that I have misinterpreted or is there a more suitable role I haven't put to use? I came up with this looking at the sportskeeda article that was posted in this thread.

To add to my post heres a rushed screenshot of my 4-4-2 in defense turning into 4-3-3 in attack

http://imgur.com/a/Gc1rL

The first image is just before a goal my WP(s) has created a midfield triange with the DM(s) and anchor man. My front 3 however is faily narrow at the moment but a front 3 nonetheless.

The next screen cap is of my average positions in the game which resembles very closely how the sportskeeda article portrayed real madrid as looking when they didn't have the ball.

the last screenshot is of the result. I happened to be playing bayern in my next game so though this was a good a time as ever to try it out. ended up conceding a penalty and a goal keeping error. they didn't threaten what so ever. Clearly this needs work but i'm encouraged.

I've been working on a 4-4-2 with my Sunderland team and have come across something that seems to be working quite well.

I've gone with defensive and fluid.

Gk D

CWB S

CD D

CD d

CWB S

WM A

CM D

RPM S

WM A (Sometimes I change that to wide playmaker depending on whose available).

F9 S

AF A

TI's: Direct passing, pass into space, work ball into box, run at defence, close down less, stay on feet, higher tempo.

My team plays some pretty good football so far and it isn't fully familiarised yet.

I've had 5 wins and 1 loss so far with it. The 1 loss was to Man City away, which was expected. However I think I learnt something in that game. I found when I changed my instructions and added push higher up I actually played better and created more than they did. It's something I'll be looking out for next time I play a 'bigger' team.

I don't know if any of this will help you but since you are discussing a 4-4-2, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. My tactic is still very much a work in progress so I'm also open to suggestions.

AusBlackCat the instruction Direct Passing and Work Ball into Box shouldn't be active at the same time? It isn't strange?

I'm using a 4-4-2, but my team don't play it very well, I win almost all games but the football ins't good.

GK d

LDr S

BPDr B

CDl C

LDl A

Wr A

DLPr D

BWMl S

WMl S

DLFr s

ADFl A

TI: Pass into space, play out of defense, low crosses (my strikers are small), drop deeper, stay on feet, be more discipline, higher tempo.

With a Control and fluid.

For next season I expecto to put Normal or Counter mentallity, with Direct Passing. I will remove the play out of defense and the BPD to a normal CD.

Any suggest?

AusBlackCat the instruction Direct Passing and Work Ball into Box shouldn't be active at the same time? It isn't strange?

I'm using a 4-4-2, but my team don't play it very well, I win almost all games but the football ins't good.

GK d

LDr S

BPDr B

CDl C

LDl A

Wr A

DLPr D

BWMl S

WMl S

DLFr s

ADFl A

TI: Pass into space, play out of defense, low crosses (my strikers are small), drop deeper, stay on feet, be more discipline, higher tempo.

With a Control and fluid.

For next season I expecto to put Normal or Counter mentallity, with Direct Passing. I will remove the play out of defense and the BPD to a normal CD.

Any suggest?

Hmm you're right, I've switched off direct passing. As I said its still a work in progress. I am getting heavily outnumbered in midfield though, especially against the good teams.

I'm wondering if I should play a 4-5-1 or a 4-1-4-1, or try and bypass the centre midfield and play down the flanks.

I don't know, but with a 4-4-2 the work ball into box don't appear to fit it, you will lose the middle. That's the reason that I'm changing the Control mentality to Normal or Counter/defensive.

You should put the ball in the flanks (with some good wingers). The CM position should be to defend the middle ant the DLF to join the CM.

I think with a defensive mentality you should use the Direct Passing, so you can shot balls in the back of the defense if you have fast strikers.

I think pass into space is better than direct passing if you're looking for balls into space.

Also RM play shorter in general under C. A.

Maybe you need 2 tactics? One for those phases of the game that you want to keep the ball and another for those phases that you want a higher tempo and counter attack and a more direct approach.