Player ratings

I really like how the player ratings in the new match engine better reflect the performances of each player. In the old match engine it seemed that most ratings would stay fixed for the entire game. So for example, if a player started badly then it was likely that he would end badly. However, in the new match engine, a player can make a mistake, get a score as low as 3 but could potentially end with a 7 or 8 if they redoubled their efforts to make amends.

However, although this aspect works really well, it also doesn’t present an accurate score at the final whistle. In my previous game, one of my central midfielders had a rating of 6 for 85 minutes but in the final 5 minutes, his rating changed to 7. When the final whistle went, his match rating ended on 7. Did that player earn a 7 out of 10 for the whole 90 minutes? No. He just finished strongly.

Is it possible for the game to give an overall (or average) match rating at the end of the 90 minutes? There have been times where I’ve wanted to interact with players after a game to tell them to pick up their performances because for the majority of the match, they have had a low to average rating. The problem is that the game will hand out to each player a better average rating of their performances if they manage to finish strongly towards the end of the match.

The match ratings on display are already on overview of what the player has done in the entire match.

It's possible they may go up or down in rating just before the end of the game, but the rating is still calculated based on their overall performance and not biased towards more recent events.

So a player doing a good/bad thing in the last minute has no more weight than if they had done it in the first minute. It's just that a last minute event may just be enough to push the player over the threshold for a better/worse rating overall.

Archived