Official Football Manager 2015 Feedback Thread 15.2.1

Did you see RVP's goal vs Southampton. It does happen in real life as well.

I think it's an animation issue - rather than come out and dive at the feet of the attacker/make an attempt to smother, the 'keeper just runs out and stays upright.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's an animation issue - rather than come out and dive at the feet of the attacker/make an attempt to smother, the 'keeper just runs out and stays upright.

Many of the frustrating problems with the game I think can be explained as animation issues rather than problems with the bits under the hood. I've been getting frustrated with players running alongside passes in midfield without ever taking possession of the ball, allowing an opponent to walk over and take it for free. Also the tendency of players to make what look like really disadvantageous slide-tackles, where they win the ball, but it goes straight to an opponent who couldn't have asked for a better pass. Mostly it just feels like the game struggling to make graphical sense of what's happening.

Defenders and goalkeepers at the top level are still ridiculous at times. Had these two in two consecutive matches. Lost both games by one goal. This isn't the beta anymore, these sort of things aren't really acceptable at this point.

The second I can maybe see happening once in a blue moon (the goalkeeper's unwillingness to move is laughable though). It's getting to the point that at least a tenth of my goals conceded are from botched back-passes.

Two good examples of known bugs, with the first being a personal pet hate. If you could upload .pkms of those matches to the bug forum and state when they happened, it would be appreciated.

Defenders and goalkeepers at the top level are still ridiculous at times. Had these two in two consecutive matches. Lost both games by one goal. This isn't the beta anymore, these sort of things aren't really acceptable at this point.

LDzbaoe.gif

e9n3PmK.gif

The second I can maybe see happening once in a blue moon (the goalkeeper's unwillingness to move is laughable though). It's getting to the point that at least a tenth of my goals conceded are from botched back-passes.

I do not agree.

Occasionally, a "good" AI must do mistakes, like in real life.

It 'a quality of the game, not a flaw.

I do not agree.

Occasionally, a "good" AI must do mistakes, like in real life.

It 'a quality of the game, not a flaw.

Good to know you don't agree with 'known bugs' as a mod has called them. I don't expect my players to be robots who never make mistakes but when you're conceding more from dodgy back passes than you are set pieces, there's a problem.

"Player Interactions Complaint #5912"

So my striker scores 1, assists for 3 more plus has 7 key passes in total, with 67% pass accuracy. We win that game 6-2. Naturally, I go and praise him for great passing. He thinks he should have done better and his moral drops from Superb to Good.

KweQ8id.jpg

RnAxNfj.jpg

Dl7J82M.jpg

So only pass accuracy is considered? Assists don't count?

Couple of bugbears

- Can't find a way to turn off player and staff pictures (not the generated ones) - this option was in previous versions

- If a player has a long name, it gets in the way of the drop down box on the tactics screen (e.g. when you want to make a sub in game and you click the drop down arrow next to their name)

- Can't loan out wonderkids on good salaries, even if they're willing to go, nobody bids for them

- Player happiness with playing time needs tweaking

- Pop Up box when watching the match in 2D vertical is REALLY annoying, it blocks a big section of the pitch and doesn't disappear for ages

Good to know you don't agree with 'known bugs' as a mod has called them. I don't expect my players to be robots who never make mistakes but when you're conceding more from dodgy back passes than you are set pieces, there's a problem.

Do not be too picky!

It's not a problem, rarely happens, as in real football.

Those situations are random,add immersion and more variety to ME.

It's already too boring sometimes....

Do not be too picky!

It's not a problem, rarely happens, as in real football.

Those situations are random,add immersion and more variety to ME.

It's already too boring sometimes....

Don't be too picky people, having a few bugs in the game clearly helps with 'immersion' :lol:

Might only 'rarely' happen to you but not to me and a lot of other people, who are sick of seeing these things on a semi-regular basis.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. When these errors are costing you your place in the Champions League, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

"Player Interactions Complaint #5912"

So my striker scores 1, assists for 3 more plus has 7 key passes in total, with 67% pass accuracy. We win that game 6-2. Naturally, I go and praise him for great passing. He thinks he should have done better and his moral drops from Superb to Good.

KweQ8id.jpg

RnAxNfj.jpg

Dl7J82M.jpg

So only pass accuracy is considered? Assists don't count?

There's an option to praise him for 'the number and quality of chances created'. Pick that one instead.

Of the 30 competition games I've played so far this season I have:

Three games that ended 5-2.

One game each for the following results: 7-0, 5-0, 7-1, 9-1, 8-0

Only ten of the thirty games have ended with neither team scoring more than two goals.

I've scored 73 goals in 18 games in the league.

Still no problem with too many goals in the game?

I also just got a question in the press conference after the game that ended 9-1 about how a player in the opposition had a great game and if I thought that he was a great player...

Thanks, I appreciate it. Have you gone to a flat back 3, an orthodox sweeper or a flat back 4? If you've moved to a flat back 3, have you tried a BPD, and what are your thoughts there?

I've tried a BPD as part of a back four and I really like the position. The only issue I have with it is that the AI sometimes goes brain-dead and forgets to make moves on incoming long balls. I've found that the simple CD/D pair is often the most reliable. The BPD is really great through for initiating counter-attacking moves and getting the ball up the pitch if you lack a solid link in the deeper midfield. I currently use a BPD in a 4-2-3-1 (Attacking) formation to link up with the midfield, but I'm playing more for style than for ruthlessness with this current save. As Frankfurt, I like to score a lot of goals and concede a lot of goals. I sort of imagine my head coach as having a media soundbite like "The only good defense is a dead defense" in reference to both the opposition's defense and her own defense. If I wanted a less flawed formation, I would move the two central midfielders into the DM strata and then work to contain the hole.

I wanted the libero-attack to work in a formation I was going to use in a romantic Italian lower-league or Romanian league save. It is such a hilariously individualistic position that I really wanted to make a tactic based around it. It's totally against the concept of having the ball do the work for you. It would be cool to reincarnate a Beckenbauer hero for some small team, totally dominating from goal post to goal post.

Don't be too picky people, having a few bugs in the game clearly helps with 'immersion' :lol:

Might only 'rarely' happen to you but not to me and a lot of other people, who are sick of seeing these things on a semi-regular basis.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. When these errors are costing you your place in the Champions League, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

Please do not be too ironic than that picky.

Everyone has their own opinion....

I confirm :a mistake, also sensational, done by a defender is a plus, not a bug

Maybe you are not watching enough football matches.....

There are many other issues, already described by people in this feedback thread, that need to be urgently addressed in order to make more varied the ME

Not the one to which you refer.

If you're a team that play in red and white, against a team in white and red, an away kit isn't being chosen.

The game not picking up kit clashes is genuinely one of its biggest flaws. You can make the 3D look as pretty, and the ME run as realistically as you like, but if you can't tell which team's which, it's all pretty damned pointless.

I've posted examples in the Wishlist thread at least four times, and for earlier versions than this. I'm gonna keep wishing until they just hurry up and let us choose which kits are worn.

The bonuses window when offering a contract is my biggest pet peeve.

You have a tiny tiny little window to scroll up and down in to see the bonuses, scrolling is damn near impossible.

This. I play in windowed so don't know if it's any better in full screen but still should be right in both either way

Is anybody else conceding a lot of goals from a short throw in?

It's like a glitch every time my players are back all marking and they will throw short that player will cross either straight to a team mate or pull it back to the edge of the area and it either results in a goal. Or a half chance .

It's really annoying as I would say on my current save %40-50 of my goals conceded are from this and I can't see a setting to change how my team defends.

I'm finding this hard to believe I'm the only one and I don't think I would have lost a single game if it wasn't for this what must be a glitch/bug.

I see this EXACT highlight 6-7 times per game.

- Goalkeeper kicks the large area or near it, the player kicks straight from midfield, and may or may not happen so-called "goal that the skin did not," this is annoying!

- The trips are very poorly made, players slide, has variety of movements and especially the game like a robot bunch of field!

- Millions of kicks for goal, an annoying bug too!

- Many unreal heavy defeats and occur many cons goals, something quite unusual in real life.

- Many goals from corner, crossing the first post and the goal happens! The submissions in general attacking players always go over the bar ...

- The problematic skin, the patch 15.2 pioro the game and nothing was done to complete ... we are already in 2015 and no patch came out at Christmas.

I have reported several points of improvement that the game needed, and I see a lot of posts, it appears that the players are not satisfied with Fm 15. I am passionate about this game and I am waiting for news, it's always like this: the only football manager is playable after transfer patch! A lack of respect!

Can we still provide something good pro fm 15 ??

Anyone else noticing the "invisible walls"?

I just conceded an own goal, where clearly the ball was nowhere near my defender, but appeared to hit an invisible object and go into the net. Have seen my attackers shoot and it looks like it is going straight into the open net, but then again hits this invisible object. Another interesting factor of this invisible object is that the ball accelerates upon hitting it, reaching supersonic speeds not normally seen in the game...

I've tried a BPD as part of a back four and I really like the position. The only issue I have with it is that the AI sometimes goes brain-dead and forgets to make moves on incoming long balls. I've found that the simple CD/D pair is often the most reliable. The BPD is really great through for initiating counter-attacking moves and getting the ball up the pitch if you lack a solid link in the deeper midfield. I currently use a BPD in a 4-2-3-1 (Attacking) formation to link up with the midfield, but I'm playing more for style than for ruthlessness with this current save. As Frankfurt, I like to score a lot of goals and concede a lot of goals. I sort of imagine my head coach as having a media soundbite like "The only good defense is a dead defense" in reference to both the opposition's defense and her own defense. If I wanted a less flawed formation, I would move the two central midfielders into the DM strata and then work to contain the hole.

I wanted the libero-attack to work in a formation I was going to use in a romantic Italian lower-league or Romanian league save. It is such a hilariously individualistic position that I really wanted to make a tactic based around it. It's totally against the concept of having the ball do the work for you. It would be cool to reincarnate a Beckenbauer hero for some small team, totally dominating from goal post to goal post.

Yeah, I wanted to do something similar. 'm wondering about using a back three with a BPD in the center and seeing how attacking I can get him through PPMs and PIs. Maybe a retrained AMC or striker.

Anyone else noticing the "invisible walls"?

I just conceded an own goal, where clearly the ball was nowhere near my defender, but appeared to hit an invisible object and go into the net. Have seen my attackers shoot and it looks like it is going straight into the open net, but then again hits this invisible object. Another interesting factor of this invisible object is that the ball accelerates upon hitting it, reaching supersonic speeds not normally seen in the game...

Never seen anything like it, but it sounds like a bug. Please upload examples to the bug forum as I haven't seen this mentioned there or in this thread.

To give maybe a different perspective on things here; I'm a long time player of Football Manager type games (Going all the way back to Football Manager on the Spectrum), I've played Champ Manager from about 92 and then Football Manager up until 2011. I then stopped. For FM12 and FM13 I was still invested in my career from FM11 and so didn't want to leave that, for FM14 however it was a bit different. I was ready to start a new game at that point, but the 14 version of the game didn't appeal to me.

I don't tend to buy Football Manager when it's released, I'll download and tinker with the demo when it's released, but I then wait for the .3 patch to appear before purchasing the full game, (I don't like to have to restart a game after each new patch) in the meantime I'll keep an eye on this forum as each patch appears in the hope that the .3 version will lead to a game that I wish to purchase. If it is I'll buy the new release, and if not I'll leave it. I didn't go for FM14 as after that .3 patch I didn't get the impression that the game was complete, (or that it was continuing to be supported) and so I thought I'll skip a year, put it down to a lot of design changes and hope that FM15 would be the one to purchase. (I've just bought a new laptop, in part with the desire of running a career with as many leagues opened up as possible). But again, I'm looking at this forum and seeing that FM15 doesn't seem to be impressing people, it doesn't yet seem to be a finished product, and I'm concerned that the .3 patch won't lead to that. In which I'll go back to playing FM11.

I'm not posting this to have a go at anyone involved in the production or moderation of FM or it's forums, for mods especially I appreciate the free time that you invest in trying to help with the community aspect of any given game. But as someone who was once a loyal customer of FM products, I do want to give you feedback that I feel that product you are currently producing is inferior to those that I have previously enjoyed. I don't have a great deal of time in my busy life to play games, and I'm selective of those that I will play. I do want to purchase FM, but I won't buy what I perceive to be a broken product.

So now I'm waiting with baited breath for that .3 patch to be released, I've got FM15 on my wish list, but I've also dug out that old battered FM11 box as well.

As an aside; can anyone explain to me why the FM release cycle is as it is?

I've always wondered why the .3 patches don't appear at the end of the summer transfer window rather than the winter one.

Guest El Payaso

Has anyone else noticed that higher profile teams with better players seem to regularly need more chances to score goals than smaller teams with worse players? Just had a round in La Liga where for example Barcelona and Real Madrid dropped points in games where especially Real had huge amount of chances not converted: 39 shots, 7 CCCs and 4 HCs. This is quite regular even though they score usually a few goals from those huge amounts but smaller sides seem to be regularly more capable of converting the chances.

I've also noticed that when my team started to create more chances, the amount of goals scored by my strikers have dropped badly and need about 4 CCCs to score one goal now...

why do Manchester United go into the third round of the capital one cup and not the second as they should as they are not in Europe, this was not an issue before the last update but now seem's to be an issue

Because they are busy with the next game then.

I think you've misunderstood my question. I don't mean the following summer transfer window, I mean the current one.

I've always thought that the initial release should come around May or June time, and the fully patched version should appear at the start of October.

I think you've misunderstood my question. I don't mean the following summer transfer window, I mean the current one.

I've always thought that the initial release should come around May or June time, and the fully patched version should appear at the start of October.

It wouldn't bother me but the theory seems to be that they want to release the game early in the current season. The summer transfer window closes late Aug/early Sep and it then takes around 6-8 weeks from then to get the game on the shelves.

I've bladdered the game over the Christmas period, and I've got a few points to make:

• Player Feedback:

I criticisd a few players because they are under-performing, but they think they are playing well (even though they've not had over a 6.5 in 5 games) and becomes unhappy as a result.

• Player Not Playing:

Players signed as back up or hot prospect, coming to me moaning about playing time, even though some of those players are in the U-21 squad! I can take first team players complaining, I get that, but back up/hot prospect players, really?

• Complaining About Player Sold:

Senior players being unhappy at what they perceive to be talented young players being sold; in all instances, the players I sold were nowhere near good enough to ever play in my first team, yet the senior players complained.

• High Scoring Games:

In the 6 seasons I've played, 5 of those contained 3 teams who scored over 100 goals per 38 game season, seams rather high?

• Strikers:

I've found that I've built a dominating tactic, yet top strikers still seems to miss ridiculously easy chances, also too much shooting from very tight angles.

• Long Throws:

Its literally impossible to stop Chelsea scoring from an Azpilcueta long throw!

I'm really disappointed with the ME. The balance beetwen attacking vs defense is just broken. Play as high d-line as possible, buy the fastest defenders as possible and enjoy wins. Yeah it won't work always but it's enough to get promotion after promotion. How silly it is to play overload mentality against better teams on away matches especially when you are newly promoted and still win.

Their current cycle works, so why should they change it?

Some feedback:

The match engine is unquestionably much improved on last two years offerings. Yes there are high level things which can be improved but the fundamental blockages which have been there (most notably blockages to central attacking play) seem to have been removed which has been great to see. There has never been anything close to the varied level of tactical approaches with which you can set your team up to play and being able to see your team do what its been set up to do on the pitch is really great…the way it translates is definitely more sensitive to instructions now which is exactly how it should be. Fantastic development and improvement seen here. Fundamentally the match engine is so much more sound than it has been.

In terms of feedback on here that attacking, high line breeds the most successful teams and a tactic/certain tactics are overpowered…they shouldn’t detract from the reality of where the engine has got to. Yes certainly some tweaks to be made but ALL match engine’s WILL be exploitable to an extent and you’ll/someone will always develop/happen upon a tactic/variation of tactics which will overpower the engine…that’s simply going to happen no matter what. It then goes to what you want out of the game or what you are looking to do…if you are looking to get your team to play a certain way and tweak things for different matches/formations/players to maximise your teams output/potential then from a tactical standpoint the match engine is very close to being spot on for that. However, if you are looking to win no matter what regardless of what tactics you set up ie whether they are realistic footballing tactics then you will do so…no matter what version of the match engine you will encounter. I’m not sticking up for the game as I’ve been as critical as anyone else with last two years offerings in particular being poor. Essentially the match engine should be capable of simulating realistic ways of playing football and being able to set your team up to play the way you want it to and right now the match engine is more or less able to that…which it hasn’t been in the last two years. After that it comes down to the quality of your players and small tactical tweaks to counter other teams/players to determine your relative success.

I think a distinction between engine exploiting tactics and realistic footballing tactics is important for a balanced perspective and to see that if you’re a football fan and want to set your team up to play a certain way then this engine is doing that. Yes there may be slight difficulty in containing tactics and attacking high lines not being punished cos of restrictions of finishing when players are clean through but broadly speaking it’s in a very good place tactically.

Some feedback for improvements:

- Definitely too many shots being taken even with instructions to the contrary. I tested changing PPMs and that helps but even still too many shots being taken. Other pass options should be taken which are not

- Finishing still needs more variety

- too many punts by players with others close by in space available for the pass

- The thing where players are through on goal, whilst even not exactly a one on one (depending on how you classify it) is definitely an issue. It’s one of the reasons why high line attacking play is successful...the issue here is that you can set your team to play high line in the knowledge that far more often than not it won't be punished as it should through poor finishing when players are clean through...so in essence you're exploiting the engine in that players finishing/conversion of these chances is highly unrealistic. Just look back to Chelsea and Spurs under AVB playing a high line and last year the likes of Arsenal play high line against Liverpool getting duly put to the sword. In FM players very very rarely ever attempt to accelerate when put through and more often than not seem to decelerate and dawdle on the ball rather than be assertive in their attempts to score and even when through their finishing is dire...this despite having the necessary physical technical and mental attributes which would translate to them being comfortable in this situation and being quick enough to surge with technical attributes to keep the ball in control...which leads nicely to the biggest thing which needs improvement...

- The depiction/representation/simulation of players attributes are just not good enough...primarily their technical attributes. They have improved lots on last two years, no question but still it detracts from the enjoyment of the match engine right now. As was saying above the tactical side of the game is in great shape but there’s no way the likes of messi, xavi, hazard technical guile is properly represented at the moment. When you’re watching the game the level of their first touch, agility, close control and dribbling are not up to scratch. In general the statistics of passing/dribbles/tackles etc are there in terms of productivity statistics but how they are achieved is the issue. As much as anything it’s the players role which produces the stats rather than being driven by the players attributes themselves.

There has been some improvement in this and to be fair watching some of the passages of play unfold has been very good and it’s like watching a real game of football sometimes (possibly/probably as realistic to watch as it has ever been before) but watching the technical elements of play can be very disappointing. The way the players turn on the spot/move laterally and their close control really takes away from their ability to dribble and retain possession and also takes away from ability to execute passes in tight space and player in penalty area cannot make space for themselves to get shots away or move to pass to someone else or lay it off to someone else. If you look back at FM12 and you can see that players control was excellent and how it should be. If this level could be brought back into this engine then you would have an awesome game on your hands. Again if you look back to FM12 you can really see differences between players on the pitch and their abilities attribute wise…a player whose attributes lend themselves to being an anchor man doesn’t simply doesn’t display same technical or passing quality as a xavi or whoever…in current version you just don’t see that difference on the pitch in terms of how they play talent wise…yes you can see them make passes/tackles as they should and the production stats will be represented how the role will define but the technical class difference is just not there. It really needs to be improved to take the game to the next level.

It’s one of the reasons why high line attacking play is successful...the issue here is that you can set your team to play high line in the knowledge that far more often than not it won't be punished as it should through poor finishing when players are clean through

This, I'm honestly more afraid of slow build-up chances than when their striker is going straight to the goal, one on one with the keeper. But it's not a specific FM 15 issue, it's been there at least since FM 12.

I managed to finish the 2016-17 season with Dortmund with 100 goals scored in the Bundesliga, which I believe put me only 1 goal off the all-time record. I'm not sure if I'm really that good or if the game is just a little too high scoring when you use attacking tactics. Computer-controlled teams don't seem to score an exceptionally huge amount of goals. Bayern only had 62 in the same season that I had 100.

In general I think the ME is excellent and plays the most convincing soccer of any FM iteration so far.

Are you tired of unstable weather?

Here's a deal for you.

Become a football manager.

Take on a few jobs and get sacked.

After a while you will get the grand prize of stable and predictable Italian weather, while managing Cittadella:

7982bd1b97e02c469ecef45d1b2997dc.png

The weather never changes, apart from one week a year. The week of December 6th.

Get your stuff ready and play today.

You never have to complain about crappy weather ever again :thup:

PS!!!

As a bonus. We'll throw in some extra predictable weather certain years (depending on the deal),

keeping it the same temperature all year around apart from one day.

The bonus-bonus day can be any day of the year. No certainty it'll be the week of December 6th.

168be16151ac4f3882b55b4a40be2a9c.png

7afd0587ba594517f453486310d8decc.png

Enjoy! Have fun! Be a football manager today.

Be crap at it and you'll enjoy stable-weathered Italy.....eventually.

Sponsored by Sonny Terry Able.

This forum could use a 'gripes' thread. Somewhere I could complain about having six players missing for an FA Cup 6th round replay because it's scheduled the day after a South American World Cup qualifier matchday, and for all those other things that aren't bugs, aren't problems with the game but are incredibly annoying.

This forum could use a 'gripes' thread. Somewhere I could complain about having six players missing for an FA Cup 6th round replay because it's scheduled the day after a South American World Cup qualifier matchday, and for all those other things that aren't bugs, aren't problems with the game but are incredibly annoying.

You could start one of these threads in this forum. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/353869-I-ll-tell-you-what-s-getting-my-goat-just-now-(reprise)

Would like to hear some opinions on this. I'll start with this wonderful quote of another thread of old I found when searching the forums for something.

I would, however, agree that every system has the tendency to get the ball forward out of defence slightly too quickly, which is a British disease.

You have to watch matches in full, preferably in one of the less aggressive mentalities. Does anybody agree that there is a tendency that once the ball has crossed the midfield-line, there is too rarely a back-pass made to the centre backs anymore? This is something you get to see in football all the time: Play breaks down on the right flank, the right winger plays it back to the right defender, who passes it back to the right centre back, who then passes it to his colleague, maybe they'll interchange some passes back and forth and wait for the opening, and start something new. Or the pass it made all the way back, and the centre backs are involved in getting the ball to the opposite flank in similar fashion -- essentially an entire side is being involved in an attempt to unbalance the opponent's defending shape. It's not that there wouldn't be back passes, obviously more the less aggressive mentality you chose. It's also not as if you wouldn't be able to play a far more possession based game (and vice versa). But you don't much get to see that on FM, if any.

It's gotten much better throughout the years (I suggest anybody to re-install FM 2006 or 2007ish and compare). Still in FM there is that tendency, even on contain, that play rarely goes all the way back again and a move is being build up all from all the way back. Unless they're being forced to do and out of alternative options, there is also little passing interchanges in between the centre backs. Your perception of this will likely be hugely shaped by the kind of football you watch (I watch and enjoy the end to end action of your average Championship match myself), but obviously it's an altogether thing to watching, well, Bayern bloody Munich, and I mean that in terms of style. I wish at least on the lesser aggressive spectrum of mentalitites, such would happen more frequenlty, and more pronounced as it does now. As it always has. In parts it might have to do with the CB's positioning. When the side is in possession, they eventually end up pushing up to the half-way line, and typically, that is also where the opposing forward sits. Or indeed the opposing forwards. As the CB's don't hugely try to keep a distance, pull back or drift outfield and make themselves available for a possible pass, a back pass frequently would be a risky choice for any player.

Apart of that, I wish "contain" as the most "extreme" mentality option was more risk-averse as it is now in general. In parts depending on your role and duty structuring and thus positioning, you will still see moves of two or three passes that end up right in the opponent's third and the side taking shots. In any case, there is a certain bias for forward passes (and options) in here too, and a bias to to get the ball out of defense, regardless of any team instructions. Don't know if this was patched a little, however even going more cautious plus possession TIs it is hard to keep the ball deep for prolonged sequences of play (Spain, Barca, Bayern). Naturally it doesn't help much that there's little, if any signifcant overlap in between the mentalities and a player's decision to engage in dribblings.

I

[*]Last season saw Mesut Ozil average 4.71 tackles won per game, while Sterling has averaged over 2.5 the past two years. I understand that a player of their caliber may make a good tackle now and then, but to perform like that with such consistency seems a bit off to me. I mean, to go against Ozil and have him boss the midfield against the likes of Lucas Romero and Matic is a bit annoying.

Özil may average 4 tackles per game. But if you look through your league's statistics, you'll find he likely won't make the top 100 in terms of tackles/game. That is because defending on FM has always been overly depending on successful tackles. Arguably re-shaping that will be one of the big next evolutionary steps and probably take a huge re-write of parts of the code, such as the collision avoidance did a couple of seaons ago (up until FM 2013 players when off the ball could run straight through their markers). Until then it's no deal breaker, in my opinion. Just a thing to keep in mind when looking at tackling stats. :-)

I think a distinction between engine exploiting tactics and realistic footballing tactics is important for a balanced perspective and to see that if you’re a football fan and want to set your team up to play a certain way then this engine is doing that. Yes there may be slight difficulty in containing tactics and attacking high lines not being punished cos of restrictions of finishing when players are clean through but broadly speaking it’s in a very good place tactically.

I agree with you in everything you said. the ME is as close as representing real football as never before. there's one thing you didn't mention which I believe is a major issue for years and it is really obvious with current ME. that is defending. too many shots, poor finishing, high scoring games, over-achieving high d-line and attacking tactics are all products of poor defending. not saying that is the only reason but to me it is a fundamental one.

take too many shots for example. it's not like in previous FMs when players were shooting from everywhere in unrealistic ways. chances are actually created now and nothing looks wrong except that too many chances are created due to poor defending. of course finishing ratio was tuned down then but in reallity it's that there are too many chances created in the first place. this is nothing new in FM.

I think the ME needs serious work on improving defending to achieve solid and realistic base to fine tune other things that need improvement that you mentioned. I also believe that (AI) tactical system could be improved a lot which would add a lot to the game being harder/more realistic. instead of current strategy system (contain,defensive,counter etc.) to actul football styles which would be linked to the level of football, league tradition etc. simply said those defensive mentality slow tempo FM tactics don't exist in top level real life football. all the tools needed to improve tactical system are here they just wait to be put together. I'm quite sure this would also solve many of the current ME problems.

I agree with everything Svenc has written. There is certainly an overemphasis on forward movement, and even with the most negative, keep-the-ball instructions, attacking play is still too prevalent. There are plenty of situations when I want the priority of my team not to be to create chances, but to just keep the ball- maybe time is running out and we'll settle for a draw, or maybe we've just scored and want to ensure the opponents don't come straight back at us.

If that means it gets worked out to a winger in the opposition half, then all the way back to the keeper again, so be it, but once players get into areas where they think they can create something, all-too-often they'll do so.

This may tie in to the next evolution of team talks. At the moment, we can still only talk in a vague way, both in the in-game talks, the HT/FT ones and post-match. We cannot talk to a player about an individual incident, and yet any camera in any dressing room has shown that this is what happens. Missed chances, defensive errors, goals scored and conceded are dealt with directly, manager to culprit. It's more than "you made some mistakes so I'm thinking of dropping you", it's "Why did you do this? Next time, I want you to try this.", or "I told you to do this, why didn't you?"

Archived