Official Football Manager 2015 Feedback Thread 15.2.1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is too easy and the right 4-2-3-1 formation crushes most opposition. I'm Spurs and even if I turn off first window transfers I am smashing most teams by a clear 2 or 3 goals with my original set of players.

:( With my 4-2-3-1 formation I was just told I was one game away from the sack. Fortunately I beat bottom-dwelling Montrose and am still hanging onto my job. As another poster said, LLM is the way to go ;)

@ Confused

With the previous patch I won the UCL with Steaua Bucharest first season, no transfers no reloads with the same formation 4-2-3-1 wide or however it's called. I find this update slightly harder than the previous , but still not that hard.

I am absolutely stomping the league, scoring over 120 goals per season. Something should be done to increase the difficulty and either make the AI managers better tactically or somehow decrease the gap between world class players and average players.

I mean even Barcelona or Real Madrid don't have 30+ shots on goal every game...

I'm not seeing a lot of goals but am seeing a lot of poor finishing from created chances as explained above.

Are those who are experiencing a lot of goals playing with top teams? The reason I ask is that in games I have played against the likes of Man United, Liverpool, Man City and the like and some of the players in those teams are seemingly superhuman. Great example is Mata. Absolutely ran the show against me and I couldn't touch him. Chelea's Hazard is the same and Balotelli for Liverpool has the finishing skills of a god, in fact Balotelli with finishing 18, dribbling 16 and pace 16 in the game is a bit laughable considering his real life form!!

I looked at some of the stats for my past season. Sadly the Player stats for the Premier League for a particular season seem to reset at the start of a new one (has this always been the case?) but I did look at games I had played in the previous season. I noted that the highest ratings and a high rate of goals and assists came from players with high dribbling ratings thus including Balotelli 16, Hazard 20 and Mata 17. Pace I thought might also play a part and it might although Mata has pace of 11 which kind of defies logic in some ways as you just can't catch him!!

I state this because not everyone is seeing too many goals. As mentioned above I am seeing not enough goals compared to chances created so it would be a concern if goals came down dramatically as half of us wouldn't then be able to score any!! I am wondering if goals are easy to come by if you have certain players and from what I can see maybe players with a high dribbling stat are overpowered possibly coupled with poor tackling stats of midfielders and defenders who, for me at least seem unable to stop the dribblers in their tracks. A slight nuking of wide play and improved play through the middle would suggest this. Pre patch people complained about too many goals from crosses and now more goals through the middle so as I say not so much use of particular tactics but maybe tactics that make use of players with a high dribbling stat? After all goals from crosses are not necessarily created because of great crosses or great finishing (proved because not every cross ended up in a goal) but possibly due to the overpowered nature of dribblers getting in a position to cross>? Just a thought.....

PS.......

I am trying to understand the logic in some player moves? Had a decent first season with West Ham including European Football and wanted to keep Alex Song. He wasn't overly interested and spent the next season warming the bench at Barcelona and Barca were insisting on 100% of his wages for another loan anyway. Start of the third season I managed to get an offer accepted to buy him permanently but his wage demands were in the 180 grand pw area and a loan was out of the question because Barca were asking for 100% of his wages again. Suddenly Liverpool came in and snapped him up with Barca paying a contribution of 50% of his wages!!!??? Why wouldn't they do that for me??!!!

I ask your thoughts on this because I like to try and get the best out of the players I have rather than dive into the transfer market all the time and find it a bit of a shame that any player already with you at the games start becomes impossible to even negotiate with a season later. After all IRL Song made the decision to join West Ham so with a good season at the Club it would be nice to at least know the reason why his further interest has declined and also why Barca were unable to continue such a deal with West Ham but yet they were with Liverpool. Champions League Football may be the key but that didn't affect him IRL!!

That's probably just an animation error, possibly trying to represent the keeper being caught in two minds as he races from goal.

No, it's how goalkeepers behave in situations like this. Don't you look real football mate?

:D

Sorry for the double post, but I think I should separate these two.

In my opinion, SI are using the lack of competition in manager-simulation-like games wrong. Instead of trying to make a revolution every single year, with every single ME and creating far worse product than last year's, the development of the game should be focused on incremental improvements. Nothing huge, since huge improvements carry huge risks, and possibly - huge disappointment. I am really dissatisfied with FM14 and FM15, I considered FM14 a step back, but mistakes do happen, and I understand it. However, mistakes happening for a year and a half now are not something that the buyers want.

On the other hand, there are people who don't really care about ME, especially when winning, because, logically, they seem to be doing good. I am not playing FM just because of winning, there is FIFA/PES if I want to win a championship or two. I play FM because I like to try to implement some real-life football ideas in a game. For the last two versions, tactics is not about just logical setup, but about what "works" in a game. 4-2-3-1 (2MC) is still bad. By bad, I mean either overpowered, or easily countered. Overly focused on attacking, and yet succeeding, because of the flaws in the ME. 40 shots, some of them must go in. Excuse me, but 7-3 results in Poland or Russia simply don't happen. Then, again, with three 0-0 draws, average goals number gets closer to real one, and there it is - no bug at all. So, instead of focusing on just averages, you should focus on the dispersion (variance) of results. Yes, "big" scorelines happen, but not so often when teams are similar in quality, and not managed by Zeman. Not every country has a Zeman, actually.

As for tactics, roles have made them more rigid. Too rigid, if I may say. The concept is good, just not good enough. There should be one "default" role in each position, where all (literally) PIs would be unlocked, so we could tailor the role as we like. If I want my central defender to go forward and act as an attacking midfielder, or even a striker when attacking, why wouldn't I be able to give him such instructions? It isn't really a matter of results, terrible losses or pure illogicality (although, Guardiola and Alaba would disagree on this), but just flexibility. That would be more of an improvement, than just adding Mueller's and Fabregas' roles as such.

So, please, stop revolutionizing the game, football doesn't change radically in a year. It would be nice to see a decent ME until March, a ME that would be a base for improving (though I'd say adding) pressing, more flexibility in tactics etc. Not everyone plays this game because of transfers or player interaction. ME is the core of the game, and it should be treated as such. As a priority.

I have no problem with the ME, but then again, I only play text-based matches. Old-school.

For me the biggest problem with this hotfix, is that it has gone back to the ridiciously long save times. Come on SI, you fixed it once, you should be able to fix again. Like right now.

I have no problem with the ME, but then again, I only play text-based matches. Old-school.

For me the biggest problem with this hotfix, is that it has gone back to the ridiciously long save times. Come on SI, you fixed it once, you should be able to fix again. Like right now.

Unfortunately I would have to agree. I'm only at the beginning of a new game (36.4Mb save) and it is taking 95 seconds to a SSD.

'Unplayable' - probably the most annoying word used on this forum and rarely ever used appropriately. Unplayable is either a game that doesn't start up, or a game that gives you so much frustration when playing it is isn't worth bothering with. A slight increase in saving times doesn't make it 'unplayable' it's just an annoyance, and how annoying it is depends on how often you save the game and how good your PC is. I'd say saving times on mine have gone up around 30 seconds although I have added a couple of leagues into my save so some or all of the increase is probably down to that.

Now I've seen probably around 10-15 people posting about increased saving times in the GD section of this forum (I'm there's more in the bugs forum), I've seen a few more complain about it on the Steam forums. Now I was never very good at maths but that doesn't seem to add up to a very high number... So if I had to categorize this issue in terms of severity I'd probably put it in the 'low severity' bracket. Hardly the mass-epidemic that some users are trying to portray it to be.

Your comment about this issue re-appearing again that in your eyes is so inexplicable is just poorly thought out. How do you know it hasn't been caused by something completely different this time? You seem to be presuming that the previous fix has just broken when it could be down to a completely new issue. I don't see how it's 'genuinely worrying' at all, as has already been stated many times SI can't replicate everyone's hardware, if you compare the amount of complaints about saving post-patch compared to release (when there were dozens of complaints) then I'd say it's pretty clear it's only affecting some users, not all or at least not noticeably so.

SI will no doubt be looking into it and there'll hopefully be a hotfix soon after Christmas, it's not like they're ignoring your problem. But seriously demanding a problem be fixed immediately just because it affects you more than other people is crazy.

To be fair your comment " or a game that gives you so much frustration when playing it is isn't worth bothering with" sums up my experiences with most "fixed" versions of FM13 & FM 14 which is why I stopped buying the game. I cannot accurately (or constructively) articulate where SI "got it all wrong" but in my opinion they have in the last 3 years. A suggestion has been made that anyone wanting to save after every match is a "serial" cheat - well in my case it was the fragility of those particular builds that forced me to do this (due to crash dump fests), and not my honesty as a game player.

As for tactics, roles have made them more rigid. Too rigid, if I may say. The concept is good, just not good enough. There should be one "default" role in each position, where all (literally) PIs would be unlocked, so we could tailor the role as we like. If I want my central defender to go forward and act as an attacking midfielder, or even a striker when attacking, why wouldn't I be able to give him such instructions? It isn't really a matter of results, terrible losses or pure illogicality (although, Guardiola and Alaba would disagree on this), but just flexibility. That would be more of an improvement, than just adding Mueller's and Fabregas' roles as such.

I very much agree with this point.

Quick question, where do I find the information about stadiums?

On one of the earlier patches, on the League Stats screen.. there was a dropdown for 'stadiums' and it showed each teams stadium in that division (name of the stadium and current capacity)

Now I can only see 'average attendace' 'stadium sellouts' 'average attendance by capacity %' etc.

I'm sure the stadium information was in the League stats/ team stats/ drop down menu. Maybe I am getting confused?

I'm playing in an unkown league (to me) and I want to see who has the biggest (and smallest) stadium etc.. can't be bothered going through each team indiviually, clicking on their overview/facilities.

What I don't get is we pay a £35 for a game with 3D graphics and people are still playng and watching little dots moving around a green screen, what't the point???? Me I want to see proper players back heeling balls, diving headers, slide tackles, top saves in the corners etc not dots on a screen.

If I want my central defender to go forward and act as an attacking midfielder, or even a striker when attacking, why wouldn't I be able to give him such instructions?

You seem to imply the problems with the game are with the last two versions. With that in mind, please tell us all how you were able to manage the above in FM12 or before.

Let me save you the bother here. You couldn't. You want to push your centre half up to be a striker/AM in game? You do that in the tactics screen as you've had to do in every other version.

It's the same as usual, the more realistic the game gets, the more unrealistic people's expectations are.

What I don't get is we pay a £35 for a game with 3D graphics and people are still playng and watching little dots moving around a green screen, what't the point???? Me I want to see proper players back heeling balls, diving headers, slide tackles, top saves in the corners etc not dots on a screen.

Bemuses me too. I dont get how people can actually play the game on Key or Only commentary mode with text descriptions. Baffling.

Well here's the thing. I view the vast majority of my games in 2D, as I enjoy it more. Also, I can view my tactics better in 2D during the match.

Me I want to see proper players back heeling balls, diving headers, slide tackles, top saves in the corners

Yes, I think you might have come to the wrong place for that...

Unfortunately I would have to agree. I'm only at the beginning of a new game (36.4Mb save) and it is taking 95 seconds to a SSD.

Glad it's not just me. Saving the game takes ages now, and FM becomes unresponsive while saving. (had no problem before the hotfix patch)

I've noticed the game processing is also running slower since the last update.

Playing the PC version, and I can't seem to find the option to ask my players to consider sacking their agent in interactions, can anyone help?

Also, another quick question, is there any way of instructing players to alternate positions freely in open play while sticking to their assigned duties at set pieces?

Ta

You seem to imply the problems with the game are with the last two versions. With that in mind, please tell us all how you were able to manage the above in FM12 or before.

Let me save you the bother here. You couldn't. You want to push your centre half up to be a striker/AM in game? You do that in the tactics screen as you've had to do in every other version.

It's the same as usual, the more realistic the game gets, the more unrealistic people's expectations are.

Nope, I couldn't. Ever. That's what it is all about, not just about FM14 or 15. Evolution. I should be able to push them forward as I want, and it is not possible. And it should be, since, let's face it, Guardiola asks Alaba to do just that.

And the point of my post wasn't just "Alaba" role, but the development concept. Small changes and steady improvement are better than complete overhaul every year or two.

All of that is nice, but none of it is essential to the game- the ME is the same ME regardless of how you experience it. If you're playing FM mostly for the graphics, then really, you're playing the wrong game.

I should be able to push them forward as I want, and it is not possible.

Why would you ever want to do that?

There's already set piece instructions for defenders to attack the ball. There's already the option for you to manually move a defender into a more attacking role if the match demands it.

But that's not enough, you still want more.

Seems there are still problems with transfers to human controlled teams. Bernd Leno was on trial with my club (Evian TG in Ligue 1) after leaving Leverkusen at age 31. I wanted to bring him in but he was demanding €120k a week and a signing on fee of €6m. I wasn't willing to go anywhere near that but then of course, he receives an offer from RB Leipzig of 2. Bundeliga. He accepts the offer and his wage? €61k!

Why on earth would he take an offer of half what he was asking me for? And why would any player take an offer at a second division club when he's on trial at the French champions who are in the Champions League? Bizarre.

Why would you ever want to do that?

There's already set piece instructions for defenders to attack the ball. There's already the option for you to manually move a defender into a more attacking role if the match demands it.

But that's not enough, you still want more.

Why does Alaba play central defender, and still join attacks? Ask Guardiola why he wants hybrid player roles, I'm not the one who "invented" them. God damn it, you English really dont' understand football. :D

Well here's the thing. I view the vast majority of my games in 2D, as I enjoy it more. Also, I can view my tactics better in 2D during the match.

Yes, I think you might have come to the wrong place for that...

So the game advances from coloured dots to proper figures actually kicking a ball and looking like a football match and you still watch the dots, bet you still like the good old fashioned Pong game.

All of that is nice, but none of it is essential to the game- the ME is the same ME regardless of how you experience it. If you're playing FM mostly for the graphics, then really, you're playing the wrong game.

Surely the graphics are an important part of the experience, in that case why not just play the many silly little games on FB etc, where all you do is pick your teams and watch a highlights bar telling you if you win, lose or draw. The game has been advanced to a level where you can actually see your players playing the game, not dots moving around a green screen, each to their own I suppose.

There is nothing wrong with that IMO. Defence and GK get into a fankle, and the striker takes advantage. Let me guess, you were Newcastle here?
Nothing wrong u say :D This happens way to often and btw I don't know if you have noticed it but Vallejo shoots the ball in own goal. "Nothing wrong with that" Hahahaha

A bit late I've merely recently noticed how the defending behavior of AML and AMR players appears to have been tweaked (I've been more of a defensive guy and as such employed largely MRs and MLs -- you can get them to venture forward too from their basic defending position, after all). Previously when given an attack duty, they'd just stay forward in around the half-way line rather than tracking back. Now whilst you may consider that such players won't quite aggressively track back still, their behavior isn't nowhere near as drastic, even with aggressive mentalities. With AMCs and FWDs it's much the same as before, however the AMC appears under review too. Sure, watching your average game of football it's unrealistic to have a huge number of players just staying forward and deny defending whilst the other half of the team tries to win the ball back. But if this is taken out entirelly, you lose tactical fidelity as well as a means of making a major error / a bad choice or a deliberately risky choice (the benefit of players just staying all the way up is naturally that they are immediately available for counter outlets on the break; and as for the trade-offs currently if both the AMC and FWD are on attack duty, that can still leave tons of space centrally when defending).

That likely wasn't the purpose why this was nerfed, I suspect it was done as people were forced to pick a support duty for their wing players in order to get them tracking back any (and likely also because it was suspected to be a cause for high scoring AI games too; and then regulars from previous versions on occasion didn't even notice). However when SI are finished at this rate, the only way to produce a player staying high up the pitch whilst defending will be fielding an attacking forward, and on the wings you won't get any player just staying up high anyway. But then it's always been a balancing act -- if you allow someone to produce extreme tactics, extreme results (and feedback, as was the case) is more likely to happen.

However from feeling FM is trying a bit much to hand-hold its (most casual) players and lock off lanes of high risk/bad choice/error as a default. If you actually bothered to take a look at even a single match, heck, even a single attack of the opponent, you'd have spotted immediately that half your team could stop defending altogether in the previous patches. And as reported here already: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/409031-Reviewed-Holding-players-and-positioning-PPMS in contrast to prior versions holding players in central midfield aren't affected by their traits (PPMs) anymore too. In combination this meant that you sometimes had to consider who to actually make a holding player -- and who may be prone to break this specific job. Now it's a click of the mouse. Of the older iterations for instance I've still got FM 2012 installed and can compare: Fielding players such as Ramires or Paulinho as CM/Ds you will still frequently see them making forward runs due to their PPMs. I recently tested this again on FM 2015, it's as described in the thread an easy reproduce any time the team attacks. Whereas previously traits would dictate occasionally: "Screw that, I'm going forward either way and leave some space behind", they just follow their job description to the letter for 90 minutes straight even if there's tons of space in front of them to run into. Kind of like how you never could get your centre backs making runs in any kind of way, and the old slider instructions for such (such as runs from deep) just being ignored for that position by default (which had drawn Lucio's "gets forward" PPM redundant -- I'm sure Hitzfeld back then would have enjoyed managing him much more on FM than at Bayern). Now with player roles you can't instruct this anyway anymore, as a centre back is a centre back, and how he roughly is meant to behave is determined by SI (which is not meant a criticism of the new tactical UI, just musing).

There is nothing wrong with that IMO. Defence and GK get into a fankle, and the striker takes advantage. Let me guess, you were Newcastle here?

You have to pick your battles...

I have seen a couple where it is for sure just a keeper and player mix up but this one is a bit more, the mix up and then the defender coolly slotting the ball home, that really should not be happening.

Actually, if I would be in SI developer's shoes, I would have an idea for the solution of the "too many goals in full match views" problem once and for all.

Namely, we all know that there was no such problem in FM14, where the number of goals were realistic in viewed matches.

So I would just simply keep the new, FM15 match engine graphic, (which looks indeed very cool), and normally all the new features too, but copy FM14's match process, meaning the way of match runoff over its own.

I know as much as nothing about developing games, so this is just an idea of a total laic, if it is unaccomplishable or urealizable, please excuse my ignorance. It just sounds for such a logical solution to me, that is all.

Just wondering aloud about the toning down of press conferences at lower levels. I support a team in the Isthmian League and our manager does speak to the local press more often than not after every game. Maybe there should be less questions because they tend to concentrate on one or two things but I think hardly having any down there at the bottom is not realistic either.

So the game advances from coloured dots to proper figures actually kicking a ball and looking like a football match and you still watch the dots, bet you still like the good old fashioned Pong game.

Really? You're really going after this? 2D does work better for viewing team shape, and some people don't particularly care about the 3D view. It's hardly a wonder of technical achievement graphics-wise, so no-ones really missing anything.

Surely the graphics are an important part of the experience, in that case why not just play the many silly little games on FB etc, where all you do is pick your teams and watch a highlights bar telling you if you win, lose or draw. The game has been advanced to a level where you can actually see your players playing the game, not dots moving around a green screen, each to their own I suppose.

So because someone says graphics aren't important, they may as well go and play a Facebook game? I had a sore foot after football yesterday, but I didn't respond by chopping it off. Graphics in FM are an add-on. If you took them away, the vast majority of the game would still be there. Plus, I take issue with the "you can actually see your players playing the game". No, you see the players playing an approximation of the events the meat of the game (the ME by the way, not the graphics) have generated. It's not quite there yet. Believe it or not - and clearly you don't - there are people who play the game differently to you, and, gasp, enjoy it.

Nothing like a massively elitist post ridiculing people for how they choose to play the game, is there?

I know as much as nothing about developing games, so this is just an idea of a total laic, if it is unaccomplishable or urealizable, please excuse my ignorance. It just sounds for such a logical solution to me, that is all.

One thing I have learned in life is that if something sounds too easy (or too cheap), then it usually is.

This is an enormously complex game and you can't just lob things together, shake them about and create a hybrid of elements from the series.

Playing as Oxford United in the first season and was wondering whether or not anyone else has noticed the amount of free kicks that are taken, hit the bar, and then slotted in by an attacking player, with the defending team stood statuesque?

It smells of a bug.

No, the match graphics and how the game looks has never been one of FM's selling points. Even today, a fair whack of the game still looks like a spreadsheet, and it's why it's an easy (but lazy and wildly inaccurate) accusation when people say that the look is all that changes from one version to the next. Hell, some of those very same Facebook games will undoubtedly have better graphics than FM. But what FM does far and away better than anyone else is what's under the hood. It's the "everything else"- including the ME itself. Its reputation and standing comes not at all from how the game looks, but how it works, and the sheer depth of it

Because people have different styles of play and different views of what is important. People have different performance levels on their PC's. Loads of different reasons. Your attitude towards anyone who doesn't do what you do is pretty sucky. I suspect you vote UKIP. If you're old enough to vote.

HEY Just windering if there is a known issue with Champions League Final being played and South American Internationals occuring at thye same time meaning both my team and Barcelona have KEY PLAYERS missing for arguably the most important match in football, with the exception of the world cup final.

So for this final I have 8 players away on int duty (as well as 3 ineligble) and Barcelona have six players away on int duty with (with 3 players ineligble).

Anyway as crazy as this match is going to be was just wondering if you need me to post the save game and report it in the bugs forum or is this already a known issue

Thanx

Yes I have just had the same issue. Me as Liverpool v Barcelona in the champions league final, the fixture date was 02/06 (year 2017). Messi and Neymar were both off on the south American championship thing, ok I had Coutinho and Lucas there as well but still felt a little odd, I did win it 3-2 but still feel a little of the shine was gone from the game.

Pretty sure this is related to the latest patch update, just finished the 16-17 season in the English prem and can't manually arrange any friendly fixtures?. On the fixture list screen every other date is unavailable? I'm sure I could at the end of the last season I only currently have 3 which are a pre-arranged match due to a player purchase and a tour of Italy.

Many thanks

I cannot believe people are being criticised for watching 2D matches.....

For a lot of us older players, we are used to working at FM, looking at stats to figure out where things have been going right or wrong, not just watching a game and thinking its the full picture. There was a long time with no 3D and in truth, its not really needed. Ill still play some games on txt only, or 2D depending on the situation.

There is no right or wrong way to play it.

Anyway to some feedback. I'm also in the boat of the game being too easy and the games im losing are the ones where you could play for 2 weeks and not score. Its getting a tad boring after only a few months. Set up a good 4-2-3-1 and your on the road to hammering anything in your path.

Pretty sure this is related to the latest patch update, just finished the 16-17 season in the English prem and can't manually arrange any friendly fixtures?. On the fixture list screen every other date is unavailable? I'm sure I could at the end of the last season I only currently have 3 which are a pre-arranged match due to a player purchase and a tour of Italy.

Many thanks

Are you attempting to organise home friendlies whilst on tour?

Archived