Players unhappy with "playing time"

Really SI?

Why do they force us sell our backups and buy new ones each season?

Every single time theres a few backups that get annoyed with the lack of playing time

They get so mad the demand to leave, and the whole team turns against you if you wont.

I use small squads, 22 man, play in the Prem, champions league etc. Good rotation

Its better now, I only have 2-3 players complaning but still.

The thing is, the only playtime they will be happy about its STARTING MATCHES IN THE LEAGUE

anything else than that they just "ignore". You can start a backup in all your champions league matches, all leage cups, FA cups, pre season cups, sub him on in every prem game.

Yet if he doesnt GET TO START A GAME IN THE PREM. he gets completley mad.

FM15 players logic, Starting a game in the CL against Real Madrid < playing a away game at Bournemouth a rainy english winter

Example:

I have a very dominant squad, so I can play the entire B team in the champions league.

I got a great draw with 2 really weak teams. So one backup player got 5 Champions league matches in the autumn, he got sub ons, 1 start in the prem and all league cup matches.

Hes squad status is set to RESERVE. Yet getting mad and demanding more playtime

I got it covered:

I give them sub ons, cup matches, a completley FAIR amount of playtime and they also develop a lot.

I set an appropriate squad status.

I dont have "key player" for my back ups before anyone mentions it. I got "reserves" for them.

I dont wanna be forced to field a weaker team in the prem all the time.

It kina ruins team chemistry buying new backups all the time.

3 new signings, and 3 new back ups.

6 new player season out, season in hurts my team chem

Its annoying and costs money.

Sometimes u need a good backup and spends hours trying to find a new one

Would agree that some of my players requests for more play time have been OTT.

Whatever happened to the players who were just happy to sit on the bench and collect their pay cheque every week with no fuss?

Would agree that some of my players requests for more play time have been OTT.

Whatever happened to the players who were just happy to sit on the bench and collect their pay cheque every week with no fuss?

Yep.

I started FM last year on FM14 so cant tell about the earlier versions.

But I never had a problem with that in the previous game.

Usually just my reserve keeper who i gave like 2 games a season who complained.

The minimum I give an outfield player a season is 5-10 games start, 10 + subs and they never complained om fm14.

I even had a player now, who complained. Started him in 2 consecutive league games, when he couldnt start the 3rd in a row he handed in a transfer request.

and he was the 6th choice by far in my 3 striker formation

This is certainly the new atrocious addition to the already ridiculous baby sitting simulation this game is becoming. That is my criticism of the game. My input towards this is to suggest that perhaps this gets looks at and toned down quite a lot. It seems like this level of complaining should be limited to certain personality types but it is all players, even the really professional ones.

I have played for 1.5 seasons so far, and never got ANY complaints from ANY player.

I don't think it needs to be toned down, and I for one love it that keeping the players in the club finally became a challenge under certain circumstances. If it was happening to every player, in 1.5 seasons I should have seen examples of this for sure, no?

A lot of human players' way of playing the game, from tactics to roster building, is different than what the managers do IRL, and what AI managers do in the game. The ME let's you play with very offensive tactics that no RL manager would use, and people fail to realize that and come here to complain about their unrealistic scorelines. I also see many times that human players get spoiled by the amount of money they have in the game (by outsmarting the AI's way of squad building) and buy a lot more players than they need, creating a lot of competition between players for playing time. Again, so far I never had a single player moaning about playing time, so one thing you can't say for sure is, that it happens to every player in every team.

I have played for 1.5 seasons so far, and never got ANY complaints from ANY player.

I don't think it needs to be toned down, and I for one love it that keeping the players in the club finally became a challenge under certain circumstances. If it was happening to every player, in 1.5 seasons I should have seen examples of this for sure, no?

A lot of human players' way of playing the game, from tactics to roster building, is different than what the managers do IRL, and what AI managers do in the game. The ME let's you play with very offensive tactics that no RL manager would use, and people fail to realize that and come here to complain about their unrealistic scorelines. I also see many times that human players get spoiled by the amount of money they have in the game (by outsmarting the AI's way of squad building) and buy a lot more players than they need, creating a lot of competition between players for playing time. Again, so far I never had a single player moaning about playing time, so one thing you can't say for sure is, that it happens to every player in every team.

Ya I get what you are saying. Mine hasn't been too bad. I am Liverpool, halfway through the first season. 1st in the league. Three of my players have complained, even my 1 star backup goalkeeper. The only thing that irritated me was that around november, Sterling wanted a new contract. I must have missed it by a week or two, and my entire squad became unhappy stating that sterling deserves a new contract. So I quickly and signed him a new contract, but it took over a month for the contract extension to go through. So for nearly 1.5 months my entire squad was mad at me.

I find some of the player complaints over playing time odd. I had a player come to me and moan about not getting enough first team action, so I told him okay I will give you a shot. He has featured either as a starter or sub in the majority of the games that followed (around 2.5 months of football), yet he came to me moaning that I had not kept my word. There were certainly a good mix of starts and sub appearances to be sure, so maybe it was this. But to feature in most games should at least shut him up.

The other thing I find slightly irritating is that there is no option to tell players who you gave a chance to and they were consistently poor, that they were too poor to hold down their spot. If you could say something along the lines of 'you got your shot, you were poor and you blew it. I can't carry dead-weight.' it would be extremely useful.

Player returns from a season long loan at the end of a season, all the games are done and the players are about to go on vacation and he messages me and says he wants to go out on loan... ummm, wait for the new season maybe? So I tell him I will get him out on loan as soon as possible but by the time players come back from holiday he is angry and wants out. I know the drill... post a save etc and all.

They really need to do something with players attitude. I have them complaining constantly even when they are not match fit or out injured!! What am I supposed to play them when they are not fit enough just to keep them happy??

This whole game feels more about keeping players happy than anything else,, its the same with their morale ,, went on a run of about 8 or 9 wins back to back,, morale as you would expect great,, then lose one game and the whole squad morale drops which then just makes em start losing. Even calling a team meeting did next to nothing,, you would think when its a mans game they would be a wee bit more thick skinned,,, one or two fine,, but your whole squad after one game ???

I`m playing as Man Utd and Vålerenga (Norway). Got the same problem in both teams. Several players complain about lacking playing time. I have to use my best players in the League to keep them happy, and play rotation players and backups in CL and cups. It is getting ridicules. I am forced to sell good players and replacing them each season....

I got a Leicester game going where a lot of the players keep whinging but then a lot of the players are of similar quality so I'm having to rotate a lot. on the other hand in my Barwell game only 1 player has whinged so far. there's some players I've not even played at all who haven't moaned.

Totally agree with this - I raised something similar in the feedback section too. It tends to be younger players in my experience; goalkeepers seem quieter but my young players are completely irrational. The most ridiculous bit is the timing at times - complaining in the break between one season and another (there are no games to play you in fella...) which would make more sense if the conversation was focused on not enough in one season and questioning the next...? OR the first week of pre-season.

It seems to be linked to ambition (I have used the editor to take their ambition right down which nullifies it slightly) but there doesn't seem to be realism. I quite like the occasional ability to say X player is playing well so be patient but their demands are still pretty unrealistic (although who knows maybe all Prem managers are having their kids in their office complaining which I guess is possible.)

It also seems to be magnified when a player comes back from a loan. They immediately want to go back out and there is no option to say stay and fight for your place here.

Perhaps an interesting way around this would be in pre-season as part of any conversations covering the number of games they expect and you expect. And then as the season progresses at least you have expectations to manage against - if you aren't matching what you discussed then absolutely they've got a right to be unhappy even if there might be mitigating circumstances.

Clearly you're not going to get exactly 30 for example but you thinking 10 starts, maybe 15 appearances off the bench or ten in total of any combo whereas they want 20 starts in the league etc might help manage their expectations. I am guessing the OP has a similar vision in mind to me at the start of the season where the nucleus of the squad will probably play 25-30 league games depending on other competitions and expectations of the board and the more rotation, back-up, emerging young players will probably play between 0-20 with a lot being sub appearances. Managing these players expectations must be key to a manager's responsibilities and I cannot believe its all reactive IRL

I just think this would help in squad building (deciding whether a player should go back out on loan) and a more realistic balance between their ambition and their acceptance of reality - you're 20 and just back from a loan at a lower league club - you won't be suddenly first team in the prem dislodging a guy who'd been doing it for 5 seasons straight...

Decent idea but things change over the course of a season and IRL a manager should not be held to ransom over pre agreed game time to the point of affecting your season. We already have them complaining when not fit so we would still get them moaning I didn't get my 20 games,,, AYE but you broke your leg you muppet!!! I dont mind first team players complaining if they are being left sat on the bench,, that would happen. My problem (and I think most would agree) is when injured players or not match fit are complaining ,players who signed for you as a back up, when the season is only just started, and the one that really pisses me off right now is when you do play them and they come back saying you have not kept your promise,,and them try to start a mutiny with the squad,,,do you think Sir Alex would have put up with that? lol

Player interaction is the only area that is annoying me after the last update. Several members of my team always seem to be unhappy about something. I'm now even reluctant to sell on crap players because I don't want to risk angering the entire squad.

In my opinion, this aspect of the game didn't need changing from how it was in FM14 and I really hope that it gets addressed soon.

Decent idea but things change over the course of a season and IRL a manager should not be held to ransom over pre agreed game time to the point of affecting your season. We already have them complaining when not fit so we would still get them moaning I didn't get my 20 games,,, AYE but you broke your leg you muppet!!! I dont mind first team players complaining if they are being left sat on the bench,, that would happen. My problem (and I think most would agree) is when injured players or not match fit are complaining ,players who signed for you as a back up, when the season is only just started, and the one that really pisses me off right now is when you do play them and they come back saying you have not kept your promise,,and them try to start a mutiny with the squad,,,do you think Sir Alex would have put up with that? lol

Even that is far too high.

Lindegaard is a backup keeper who whinges about lack of starts in both FM14 and 15. He played a grand total of 3 games IRL last season, was told he could leave and has made a point of saying he wants to stay.

I think SI have got the whole thing wrong. They're buying into the media drama that players need babysitting and cry foul all the time. Honestly, it's a rarity, most players are professional enough to get on with things. Most players at a club like Manchester United would sell their legs before they'd leave voluntarily unless they're youth or just rubbish.

At the moment it's almost like managing a squad of Balotelli's.

On that Alex Ferguson comment, in his last season in charge only 3 players started 30+ league games (Carrick, Evra, Van Persie) and only 6 started 20+ games. Everyone else started below 20 games, quite a few had a LOT of subs appearances but not much else. As it stands in game, everyone appears to want 20-30+ games minimum.

Please raise the issue here, ideally with a save game just before a player gets unhappy for not playing games when he is - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/451-Interaction-Conversations-Team-Meetings

Thanks.

Thanks for replying Neil. Its refreshing when a games company takes the time to address any issues with their customers after you have the game,,unlike some (no names but its in thE gAme ;))

Anyway how are we supposed to upload a save and know when a player is going to complain in advance? Could we not upload at any point as they seem to be complaining so often anyway?

I havent had an opportunity to try things yet since the patch as I am in the summer transfer window but hopefully the patch has addressed some areas of player happiness. If not I will try upload later in my season. On looking in the bugs forum there does appear to be a lot of similar threads on this,,, is at least something that has either been looked at in the current patch or is being worked on for a further patch?

Other than that really enjoying the game by the way,,, thanks for all the feedback you guys give,,, support appreciated.

Thanks for replying Neil. Its refreshing when a games company takes the time to address any issues with their customers after you have the game,,unlike some (no names but its in thE gAme ;))

Anyway how are we supposed to upload a save and know when a player is going to complain in advance? Could we not upload at any point as they seem to be complaining so often anyway?

I havent had an opportunity to try things yet since the patch as I am in the summer transfer window but hopefully the patch has addressed some areas of player happiness. If not I will try upload later in my season. On looking in the bugs forum there does appear to be a lot of similar threads on this,,, is at least something that has either been looked at in the current patch or is being worked on for a further patch?

Other than that really enjoying the game by the way,,, thanks for all the feedback you guys give,,, support appreciated.

Basically you save, progress a week, have a player whinge, save a new file, upload the old one.

The issue was raised and looked when beta ended and was considered 're-balanced', whatever that means. I don't think it has been though, since this isn't the first topic since then to raise the issue up again. So it's worth everyone just absolutely spamming saves at them until they get the problem. >_>

• 3 weeks later...

I have a player away at the Asia Cup complain about wanting to leave because of a lack of first team football, he's been away on international duty for 6 weeks and isn't due back for a week. I can't play him if he's not available so what am I supposed to do?

Wait I also noticed this they demand to play e.g. riera I play him but also play him from the bench and he does not even take into consideration that he has played from the bench and if he come on and scored he then complains straight after about lack of playing time, you would think they would want whats best for the team aswell as them selfs, but you only got 2 things really to say to him when he complains and if that happens and whatever you say makes him unhappy others become unhappy.

Archived