FM Pet Hates

Each version of FM has something that infuriates. It's different things for different people. In FM 2014 my pet hate was the way GK's would catch the ball and carry it out for a needless corner when they should have simply left it alone. There are a few atm in FM 2015 but if you had to pick just a couple what would they be?

For me I would choose 1) the number of 30 yard wonder goals, even at the lowest league level. I know some players at that level in RL and they couldn't score a goal like that if you gave them a cannon. 2) Players putting the ball out for a corner when under no pressure. Not talking about defending corners etc. but back passes that are so inaccurate that the keeper gets nowhere near them.

Outside the ME it is the amount of whining players which atm is ridiculous. I feel at times like i'm not so much as managing a football team as a nursery.

Do you have different ones?

where to start, i'll mention a couple of examples

waiting everytime for an update to start a long save, when almost all games are playable on release day, i guess this will be the last time i'll preorder the game (even though i said this 3 times before)

ai players scoring almost everytime from rebounds, the goalkeeper can't parry the shot sideways, always in the opposing striker's path, even if he's neuer, courtois or de gea

the tactic and lineup setup was great from previous versions, they changed it and now it's annoying, why change something that works

freak scores ocurring more often than in previous versions

whining players about not playing first team football, even though they played 3 quarters of the games

ai getting a boost after half time, it's like their manager always knows what to say to get them motivated

how easy is when you're playing a top club to get results, compared to previous versions

i think there are some more problems, but these come to mind now

By now SI have ironed out most of my long term gripes, however in last years version the endless crosses accidentally hitting the crossbar was insane.

The only thing that I've noticed this year so far that bothers me is that bug when during a match you click to make a substitution, and when you get to the subs screen see that one of your players is injured. So you take the player off, hit continue and then the next highlight is the game telling you that the player you just subbed is injured and need subbing. I swear thats been in the game for every version since the switch from FM to CM but I suppose it's really hard to recreate it in test conditions. It's not like someone can just upload a save game of right before it happens and a PKM isn't going to help either.

Ever since we had the ability to change the columns on screens the game has been incapable of remembering how you set it up and goes back to the default.

Every time my team place away from home the tactics page resets itself to the default setting! Also half the screens just can't be set up properly, you're guarenteed the last column (which has planty of room) goes off screen!

That's how many years of me telling them about it???

ai players scoring almost everytime from rebounds, the goalkeeper can't parry the shot sideways, always in the opposing striker's path, even if he's neuer, courtois or de gea

the tactic and lineup setup was great from previous versions, they changed it and now it's annoying, why change something that works

These are the two that get my goat why did they have to change the tactics and lineup section it was fine the way it was!

I also agree with the second one, opposition seem to score lots of goals against me from rebounds! My keeper parries and my defenders stand around like they are waiting for the bus, so the opposition striker easily retrives the ball and scores. I have tried to recify this by signing defenders with good anticipation and agression, as well as decent pace and acceleration stats but its still the same. Didnt know there was bus stop in my 18yard box!

I don't like the match engine, like most people. I think it has a lot of potential and could do with some more animations. We also need a couple goal celebrations. What's the point in the commentator saying 'The stewards are struggling to hold the fans back' if that's clearly not happening.

Set pieces are annoying. I understand that this version requires more detail to defend set pieces but I don't understand why the attacking set pieces instructions aren't always being followed. Sometimes half my team will be in offside positions for a free kick and the taker still kicks it. That happens too often.

Goalkeepers haven't been balanced since maybe FM11/12 (Didn't play 13). In this version the problem is shot stopping and positioning for me. It used to be eccentricity and other mistakes. I'm seeing too many 20+ yard goals and the shot's are close to the keeper. There's also been a lot of keepers getting beaten at the near post and certain headers seem unstoppable.

Player interaction is at it's worst in my opinion. They've brought in a lot of new features like promises but there's so many bugs involved that it makes them more annoying than anything else. I'm in my 5th season and I'm sure I've had to promise 5-10 players every season I will give them first team football. Even though I always make sure everyone plays according to their squad status. A player shouldn't agree a contract as a backup if he wants first team football. I should be able to take him to court if that's the case. That's why you have a contract. :confused:

'looks uninterested'

It's 'disinterested' ffs. Something can be 'uninteresting', but if you're not interested in it you're 'disinterested'.

:herman::mad:

way too many high scoring games

It's either my team scores 3-5 goals and then before the end of the game... its a freaking tie, despite the fact that I did everything tactically possible to prevent goals.

Or I get destroyed by 4-5 goals.

It happens like every 2-3 games... it is starting to drive me nuts.

The board are extremely pleased with the performance as Manager, however they are very disappointed that although you have grossly overachieved with your team of honest journeymen and were enormous underdogs, you could only draw with Barcelona away, although it is noted that you won the home leg and so qualified for the next round.

The fans( for the 4th month in a row ) also consider that your decision to release the elderly DC who was at the end of his disprpotionately highly paid contract and who has not been missed in the slightest, is an aberration

The board are extremely pleased with the performance as Manager, however they are very disappointed that although you have grossly overachieved with your team of honest journeymen and were enormous underdogs, you could only draw with Barcelona away, although it is noted that you won the home leg and so qualified for the next round.

The fans( for the 4th month in a row ) also consider that your decision to release the elderly DC who was at the end of his disprpotionately highly paid contract and who has not been missed in the slightest, is an aberration

This, all of this.

Not to mention taking Swindon Town to the Champions League final and dare say winning it, to be greeted by "The board would like to congratulate you on this achievement, but ensure celebrations are kept to a minimum"

Right.

This has annoyed me for years.

Amen. But then again, fans are generally idiots who all know how to run the club better than the manager and if they were in charge would have won the league 20 times in the last 10 years =P.

For me it is the expansion of the widgets when a goal is scored, and the resetting of the pitch zoom. This is irritating when you are in a high scoring game!

Press conferences where they ask you stupid long winded questions about how you feel about a manager, and when you reply they say 'omg you are so scared of him right?' There should be a 'gives long dirty look and beckons for next question' button!

My real pet hate? Losing games =D.

First team players getting pissed off at me and actually wanting to leave the club just because I sold some youngster who was nowhere near good enough. Just happened to me last night with Parma - I sold some 19 year old winger from my U20s who doesn't have the potential to be playing any higher than Serie C, and my best centre back comes along to confront me. I can't reassure him that I'll be replacing the sold player with an even better player, because I don't need to replace him. I already have like ten wingers better than that guy. I can't reason with him that the player simply wasn't good enough, because for some reason that's not an option. All I can do is tell the guy to shut up and get on with his job. Then obviously he doesn't like that, and it actually goes so far as him wanting to leave the club because of how that conversation has gone. And now six other players are telling me they're unhappy with the way I've treated my CB. Seriously?

Disinterested has two meanings - unbiased and the same as uninterested. In fact, uninterested is used in the context FM uses it more often than disinterested is. Because disinterested has two meanings, and uninterested has one, "therefore, in formal writing it's best to use disinterested to mean impartial, and uninterested to mean not wanting to learn more or get involved." Source

So you are getting your knickers in a twist for no good reason, Boltman.

It's got to be the player concerns this year. Players losing their sh** because I offloaded a youth player with 3.5 stars PA. Somehow this tart seems to think that despite having a team of professional scouts and coaches to advise me, that he seems to know better than me and thinks I made a terrible mistake letting said youth player go, and then proceeds to complain to the rest of the team. Not only is this annoying, but it's extremely unprofessional and I simply cannot picture IRL a senior player risking his reputation and career for a complete no-name youngster.

Every in swinging free kick that results in a headed "goal" will be ruled out for offside.

The amount of players that moan about lack of first team football or that demand a contract improvement... weeks after signing one just because a team show interest in them!

My pet FM hate is the Sega Games company policy to make an informed choice to release a game which has "known bugs". Not only that, but the game does not come with any kind of official warning of this, or apology for it.

There are various reports in the forums of things where the response is "its a known issue, SI acknowledge it and hopefully it will be fixed on the next patch". A product is being released which has known issues (since most are flagged via the beta, which we only get after we have shelled out our ,hard earned cash).

This is not a "go" at any of the hard working staff or moderators here, who take the time to post responses. It goes much higher than that. Somewhere, someone has looked at a list of known defects and made the conscious decision to release the product anyway, rather than delay release to fix the known issues. Its also likely an issue with decision making around prioritisation of fixes against enhancements.

But hey, the company rakes in tens of millions in sales each year no matter what, so they have little reason or incentive to change :)

Other than that high level one, if i had to pick just one, it would be the crazy over sensitive effect morale has on your teams performance. Its far too overpowering. Players who go from "very good" to "ok" morale for any reason, suddenly lose about 40% of there performance. They can no longer make a simple pass and start to miss tackles and miss easy chances with alarming regularity. Morale should effect team performance, just not to the extent it does at the moment.

FM14 The amount of balls rolling and hitting the corner flag.

FM15 The amount of balls rolling and passing the flag to throw-in, that the game then say is, err, great forgot the english word for corners, oh, corners!

FM Overall, the fact that having dyslexia is somewhat painful because a lot of things is presented extremely heavy on wording, when a cool mix of graphics and less words would be better for everyone and that the flashing match commentary of course is always to fast for me to read.

The amount of times Jürgen Klopp gets sacked, because Borussia Dortmund is only in 10th place or whereabouts at Christmas. (Also: The amount of "sack race" predictions on how soon Klopp will be fired).

While reality clearly shows that Dortmund could be in 18th place around Christmas, and Klopp is still there.

The game needs a much better understanding of how different certain clubs are reacting to bad results and how some other factors than the actual ranking play into the equation.

I've been playing FM14 the last few days. I'd forgotten how tiresome it becomes watching your FB/WB/W fire in 10 crosses per game, 8 of which cannon off the crossbar.

The most annoying thing is the (lack of) extra time. Most matches are played with only 1 or 2 minutes of extra time... Come on???

This is actually the standard in Germany, or has been for quite a long time. Very rarely a ref would let play more than 3 minutes.

There's quite a different culture for extra time in different leagues. That being said, I am not exactly sure if that's why it's happening to you in FM. ;)

I've been playing FM14 the last few days. I'd forgotten how tiresome it becomes watching your FB/WB/W fire in 10 crosses per game, 8 of which cannon off the crossbar.

Exaggeration on these forums is my FM pet hate.

Backroom advice is annoying me this game

Advising me to have my right winger dribble down the left flank. Or advising that me left wing back should stay back at all times.

Press conferences as well

Constantly being forced to comment on "amazing" goals or constant fights between me and other managers.

Half time team talks

I can be winning 1 - 0 and doing okay but nothing special, and I can only tell them that im really happy with thier perfance and to keep it up. Im not very happy at all but I can no longer say im happy as they took that 1 out the game. So I must be very happy or I just get tonnes of stressed players.

My pet FM hate is the Sega Games company policy to make an informed choice to release a game which has "known bugs". Not only that, but the game does not come with any kind of official warning of this, or apology for it.

I can just imagine games being released with stickers on the boxes saying "hey this game isnt finished and its full of bugs, but please buy it" :D

Pet hates of mine is the lack of excitement from the board when you win things, same with the fans.

Also, the terrible terrible advice you get from your backroom staff, why in gods name would i want my young attacking wing back to learn to stay back at all times? More to the point, after i have dismissed this, why do you keep suggesting it to me every single month?!

Also, the terrible terrible advice you get from your backroom staff, why in gods name would i want my young attacking wing back to learn to stay back at all times? More to the point, after i have dismissed this, why do you keep suggesting it to me every single month?!

Beat you by 1 minute on that 1 :p

Counter attacks which break down because my winger and best dribbler decides he's want to do his best Bambi impression on the halfway line, with 3 team mates in support and half the pitch of open space he could have passed/ran into. U wot m8?

Oh and pacy strikers who break the offside trap, have all the space they can run into, decides to slow down and let the elderly and slower-than-a-rock defenders he just burst past to catch up and tackle him like they are all Paolo Maldini cyborgs.

Beat you by 1 minute on that 1 :p

Haha at least im not alone! My staff are actually advising me to train both my attacking wing backs to stay back at all times, whilst having my centre half learn to switch the ball to the other flank (he plays through the middle) and have my attacking mid, who is my top scorer to stop making late runs into the box. Its like they advise you to do the exact opposite of what is required.

Oh and pacy strikers who break the offside trap, have all the space they can run into, decides to slow down and let the elderly and slower-than-a-rock defenders he just burst past to catch up and tackle him like they are all Paolo Maldini cyborgs.

Or the pacey striker who beats the offside trap, leaves the defence for dead, then decides to head to the corner flag to try and cross it, only for it to hit the defender and go our for yet another corner.....

Or the pacey striker who beats the offside trap, leaves the defence for dead, then decides to head to the corner flag to try and cross it, only for it to hit the defender and go our for yet another corner.....

This happens everytime during a counter attack assuming IF, a big IF, my player doesn't do his Bambi impression and actually gets past his man. Why can't they just run through the gigantic space being offered to them with a red carpet through the middle and finish off the counter attack? :rolleyes:

Because football is more fun when it has 30 corners every game. No one wants to see the striker beat the keeper, they would much rather watch him slow down, lose the ball, or win another corner by hitting the first man with the cross.......

:D

Can you tell i lost a few bad games last night because of that issue.....hahahaha

Because football is more fun when it has 30 corners every game. No one wants to see the striker beat the keeper, they would much rather watch him slow down, lose the ball, or win another corner by hitting the first man with the cross.......

:D

Can you tell i lost a few bad games last night because of that issue.....hahahaha

I've lost count how many times I gave thought to creating a counter-attacking tactic in the mould of Dortmund, then after one match seeing my players mess up even the simplest fast break, I'd bin the idea and say "screw it, we're gonna lump it Big Sam-style" :lol:

This happens everytime during a counter attack assuming IF, a big IF, my player doesn't do his Bambi impression and actually gets past his man. Why can't they just run through the gigantic space being offered to them with a red carpet through the middle and finish off the counter attack? :rolleyes:

Because one of two things would happen. Either they'd score regularly meaning people would endlessly exploit it leading to all manner of ridiculous scorelines, or they'd miss the chance 9/10 times leading to everyone crying that no striker in the world would miss so many 1v1 opportunities.

It's the game's mechanism for preventing easy through ball exploits. Hiya FM12, hiya pal. :D

The only thing that I've noticed this year so far that bothers me is that bug when during a match you click to make a substitution, and when you get to the subs screen see that one of your players is injured. So you take the player off, hit continue and then the next highlight is the game telling you that the player you just subbed is injured and need subbing. I swear thats been in the game for every version since the switch from FM to CM but I suppose it's really hard to recreate it in test conditions. It's not like someone can just upload a save game of right before it happens and a PKM isn't going to help either.

Hey that bugs me all of the time too! I just dealt with it though really because tbh, although a bug, it's not really a big one and it's only annoying because it wastes a few seconds of your time. And yes it was in FM14 and 13. :p

In one save I actually had the fans annoyed at me for letting a guy go....whose transfer was already agreed when I came to the club! Nothing I could do and I got the hassle! Also, one I've just come across and actually posted about...I took a new job and wanted to promote the 1st team coach to assistant manager, but because he'd just signed a new contract (before I joined) he wasn't interested in a new contract. No option to offer him promotion or anything. Surely all staff should be at least open to any offers a new manager makes?

For me, it's a player getting sent off in a game that would otherwise be a great chance to win.

I am away to Q.P.R who are 19th, and I think with 11 men, I could nick a win. However, my CM decided to get a red card after 3 minutes. What was a game we could have won, is now probably going to be a loss against relegation candidates who should be a chance at 3 points.

Why not just get sent off away to one of the big four? We would probably lose anyway so get sent off in that game, not one where you could contribute to a win.

EDIT: And that only serves to prove my point. In the 85th minute, we get a second red card and still hold out for a 0-0. With 11 men, I'd like to think we would have won that game.

My main pet hate is just general lack of logic from the board.

Playing a save with Man City, and you only get a 10 mil budget. Spent that on sorting out the backroom staff, and bringing in a few wonderkids. Go to my board confidence, we are disappointed in your lack of high profile signings. What do you want from me?

Probably my only pet hate with FM14 is the way the game generalises certain news feeds.

For example, every time one of my players has a great game, a newspaper article likes to remind me that said player is not one of the top earners in the squad.

Of course he isn't. We are Queens Park. No one gets paid let alone be the top earner.

Player: You broke your promise about giving me more first team football

Me: You have literally played ever game for the last 2 months, and you're here as a rotation player, there's the door

Or:

Player: I'm concerned that you haven't accepted a bid from [any club] for me!

Me: There was never an offer, you're just having delusions of grandeur

Or even:

Media: [My club] are yet to agree fresh terms with [useless nobody player]

Me: No, I'm yet to offer him fresh terms at all, mostly because I'm planning to let him leave rather than wasting more money on the ****

Or my personal favour:

Me: I'll offer you a new deal as we need some cover in your position

Nobody backup player: Cool, I'd like a 450% wage rise to become one of the top 5 earners at the club

Me: Hahahahahahahahaha

Weeks later:

Nobody backup player now earns less than a 5th of the wage he was on before.

Archived