Players not doing the "right" things ..

Getting tired of watching my little blobs running around not doing what they are "supposed to be" doing .. having an easy, simple pass on to the open striker in the box .. only to have them stop, turn in a circle 3 or 4 times before falling to the floor and have the opposition come away with the ball. Or, even of the pass does come, it's behind the striker and by the time he moves his fat backside (his stats says he's 10 stone and a decent movement stats, but he has a turning circle like Mickey Quinn) to turn and pick the ball up, 3 defenders have appeared out of nowhere and he then ends up doing the falling to the ground thing ..

It's not tempo - it happens whether it's set slow or high .. it's not necessarily the players - their stats are fine for the division they're in. They just won't do what they are suppose to do. Winger in 20 yards of space .. 8 foot tall striker stood in the box wide open, my runners from deep entering the box .. CROSS IT!!!! .. winger dallies .. and dallies .. and dallies .. those 3 magical players appear from nowhere again, he tries to take them on and well .. ends up doing that falling down thing.

Target man brings down a long ball out of defence .. out wide, the 2 wide players tear the opposition full-backs a new one looking for the angled pass behind the defence, the AM (A) drives forward to support the TM and he .. well, stands on the ball a bit .. from the distance I'm watching, it looks like he's doing a little Irish jig .. Riverdance I think .. 3 defenders .. puff of smoke .. falls down. You get the idea. Ok, if you can't "see" the wingers, the AM is stood 10 yards from you unmarked and you're looking right at him .. PASS IT!

Every game for a season and a half this has gone on. No matter the combination of players, roles and duties .. no matter the mentaility or shape .. just turns out the same. I watch the AI teams .. the Dog & Duck and the like .. we're down in the conference here so the players certainly aren't world-beaters .. playing crisp, fast, one touch passes .. nobody dallying on the ball .. playing the right passes .. at the right time .. turning my defenders inside out .. It's like watching Messi and Co .. well, in truth, the opposition blobs would put that lot to shame the way they knock it around - the quality of the conference has certainly picked up.

Anyway, here is my latest iteration of trying to get this right .. 4231 .. Standard .. Flexible

SWK (S)

WB left (S) - sometimes attack depending on the situation

CD left ©

CD right (X)

WB right (S) - sometimes attack depending on the situation

CM left (D)

CM right BBM (s)

W left (A) - sometimes support depending on the situation

AM center or AP center (s) - sometimes go Attack and change the TM to support

W right (A) - sometimes support depending on the situation

TM (A) - sometimes go to support when the AM / AP changes to Attack

-----

I've tried playing the TM as a DLF or a DF (sometimes I have to if the TM is injured / tired / subbed as the back up isn't really cut out for TM stuff) - but they just tend to drop way too deep.

The CMids have probably had every combination of pairings you can imagine over the season and a half since I switched to 4231 ..

--------------

Team Instructions ..

Standard ..

Flexible ..

More Direct

Push Higher Up

Close Down More

Get Stuck In

Higher Tempo

Width - dependent on the situation, look for Overlaps when I'm not at the widest.

Use Tighter Marking sometimes

-

Basic way my attacks play out .. Direct ball into the TM who, due to his size and strength, manages to take it down and hold it waiting for support .. which doesn't come .. or when it does, he makes the wrong choice .. or falls over. Attack breaks down. Sometimes, he picks the ball up on the edge of the box .. wide players dart through channels .. pass doesn't happen .. he falls down. Sometimes, he passes it back to some support in the midfield .. who pass it left .. pass it right .. turn back into the middle .. pass it left .. pass it right .. hoof a Hollywood ball into the stand .. WBs are stood wide open on the flanks wondering why they bothered .. somebody, somewhere, falls down.

And that's it.

It seems to work better away from home - possibly due to countering with the Wide Players pushed up .. but against one of the Barca type teams who zip the ball around at 100mph, close down all over the pitch, attack in numbers, defend in numbers (despite only have a couple of seconds to get back into position), harry and hassle yet never see their passing % drop or tire out, it always struggles and although I won't ship goals galore, they're sure to get 1 more than me.

Any ideas?

Not a "bump" but a continuation of the above post about a specific problem I'm seeing ..

Players just "lumping it" ..

My CDs have the ball and despite players dropping to receive an unpressured short pass into mid-field .. despite changing to short passing .. despite changing to retain possession .. despite giving PIs to the CDs to pass it shorter .. all they do is lump it wildly up front to the striker .. mostly, it misses by 30 yards and the defenders just pick it up .. I've changed the strikers role from TM to DLF so as to take away a good excuse to lump it .. they still do .. in fact, they probably lump it moreso now .. and at least when he was a TM it went somewhere near him.

Any ideas?

Part of your issue relates to Duty. The example of the Wingers not crossing is resolved by using Support Duty wingers, whose purpose is to hit early crosses. Attack Duty wingers will tend to carry the ball for longer and won't often look for the available cross, early.

The Target Man delaying on the ball is a trait of the Role, he is more of a link man than a quick thinker. He is also the reason why you see long passes played - a Target Man massively influences the way your team passes. Lose that Role altogether and a lot of your problems will disappear.

Yup make your TM a DLF(s) (Have a read of Cleon's thread on that very topic if in any doubt). I would say, that there is a bit of an acknowledged issue with how support duty strikers seem to come way to deep when defending, it can look ugly but it doesnt cause a massive problem tactically in my experience (although i would caveat by saying i used a DF not a DLF).

My most common bit of advice - try your wingers in the more realistic deeper slot. It will eradicate some of the long balls as they will be a closer "out ball" for defenders or deep midfielders in possesion. If they start in the high slots they are already too far away to be a realistic pass for a centre back, full back or even deep midfielder.

Archived