FM14 - AS Saint-Étienne - Should I play Kurt Zouma?

Hey,

So I haven't really been able to get in to a FM14 save so I'm going to play as ASSE who I wanted to play in FM13 but never got around to.

As you know Kurt Zouma transferred to Chelsea but was loaned back to ASSE and I'm in two minds as to whether I should play him or not. Obviously he is a great player and he is far and away better than any central defender at my club but is it really worth aiding his development when in the long term I get nothing out of it? It seems better to me to give my 16 year old CB Loris Mendy who has a 4 star potential but is still only silver star ability, or even try and bring in a CB or two.

Does anyone else take over clubs with a future superstar on loan at their club and not play them for the same reasons or do you take advantage of having such a player even if you don't really reap the rewards of having many good seasons with that player?

If he's already better than what you've got, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't play him. Personally, I'd always play the best player I have at the time (regardless of their contract or loan status). You could always rotate the CBs from time to time.

Oh and I've actually loaned him for my Toulouse side two seasons in a row and he's doing great so I might be slightly biased! Haha

Playing him might be the difference whether you're going to play in Europe next season or not. So playing him you might get more reputation to your club and higher tournament prizes. That leads to you being able to attract better and more expensive players and afford higher wages.

Sometimes what's best in the short term might also be the best long term.

If you have no chance of signing him, I wouldn't play him. If you have a younger player who will benefit from game time, I'd do that.

The only exception would be if you thought he could be the difference between winning and losing silverware.

Archived