Sports Interactive Community
Marabak

In game corner advice

Hey guys

Just played a game, drew 2:2 at home in the first leg, 89th minute of the second leg I score, putting me ahead on away goals.

Instantly I draw my players back into a defensive shape, 2CD, 1LFB and 1LB, 1DM and 1HB, two DW and a CM with a solitary DF up front. All mentalities were set to defend (I only have to hold out for stoppage time!). I hanged to Contain, Highly Structured. Team instructions are Go Route One (to clear the ball up field), Drop Deeper, Stick to positions, close down less, stay on feet, much lower tempo and be disciplined. Because I changed the team instructions before the team mentality, I forgot about the Waste Time option, but the Contain option description mentions it wastes time so no biggy, I am looking good, three minutes to play.

92nd minute, a highlight starts with my corner. Straight away I notice that I have 5 players in the opposition box (to the other teams 7), and no one offering the old short-hold-it-in-the-corner option.

You can guess what happens next as I draw 1:1 and go out on away goals....

So my question is how I can prevent this from being repeated? Why don't the options I selected actually have the same impact on set pieces?

At the moment, the only way you could do this would be to change your set piece routines during the match.

One thing I would suggest...is when seeing out the end of the game, i think you're using too many instructions...What works for me is simple, time has to be 85 minutes or more, Contain - Drop Deeper, Waste Time, Play Even Safer. I keep my mentality the same as it was the entire game, (Fluid).

I didn't think you could do. I'll have to look for the option :)

In the match view, click 'Tactics', then go to the Set Pieces tab. ;)

late in the game I usually keep 3 players back for corners and free kicks...it also helps if they can run and tackle :p

My suggestion is to make no changes to your tactics, including subsitution. I realise its more risky making tactical changes late on the match WHEN you are 'winning'. if you think about it, you've done something right to be winning for so close to the game, so why make changes. Its not a real sport, but a game.

i've lost games when trying to hold onto a one goal lead for the last 10-15 minutes of the game. I think alot of people will agree with me.

BUT, try to make major tweaks when you are losing, (somethings formation changes) it has helped for me.

Just sharing what works for me!