'Unto The Breach v2' - West Brom 76 points, 2nd in Premier League - Original Squad

OK, 1 UPDATE CHANGES EVERYTHING.

The Attacking version of the tactic is running well on 14.1.4.

However, any kind of conservative, counter attacking set up away from home will get scant reward so the Control version is out the window.

Just use this for all games, all situations at the moment.

https://www.mediafire.com/?cggh68nxt75omcd

Its the original tactic with a couple of tweaks, Attacking Mentality and a new corner routine i'm testing.

In AWAY matches you seem to have more success attacking teams rather than 'poncing' around trying to be tight at the back and counter etc.

Might as well just 'AV IT', attack 'em and try to dominate.

You'll get the odd hammering but will likely pick up more points away from home this way than any other at the moment.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok, i wasn't going to start a new thread for this but as the performance of the tactic is so consistent and a fair few roles have changed i thought it would get lost in the original thread.

Although I had tactics which had West Brom performing above expectations i would get games where i was well and truly dominated, I remember scrapping 1 tactic after playing Tottenham where they had 15 shots to my 2 shots, that is unacceptable to me even though we were going well in the league.

So my objective, however unrealistic, was to create a tactic where we would be 'in' every game, where we wouldn't allow ourselves to be dominated by the big boys.

It was OK to lose, but i wanted to put up a hell of a fight in every game.

It went a lot better than i expected, only Chelsea & Spurs (AWAY) got on top of us, we beat Arsenal home and away, 1 win 1 draw against Man U, 2 draws vs City and a home draw against Chelsea how are very strong.

Final Table, bear in mind media prediction for West Brom is 11th.

px4JID8.png

Revised Tactic.

8zvHdQV.png

So what's changed?

Quite a bit, revamped the team instructions.

Full Backs are now on Support duty, we have 2 Ball Winning Midfielders and only 1 Central Midfield/Attack. We have a more traditional forward line with a Support/Attack combo.

The mentalities are now Control/Fluid. I wanted a genuine plug & play tactic which was effective in games when we dominated possession but was also very good at counter attacking when we were on the back foot. The Player Roles & Team Instructions allow this to happen.

The midfield trio are key, don't be fooled by the Ball Winning Midfielder role, they are superb at supporting attacks, we know the CM/A role is effective but look how influential mine was, nearly double the key passes of anyone else in the Division (one of my Ball Winners was 2nd :lol:).

N6G5XFd.png

Bit more about the new roles below.

Anyway, enough waffle, tactic below.

https://www.mediafire.com/?qccql5btlmcv7md

NO OI'S

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Training/player roles

TREQUARTISTA/ATTACK

Wanted my main Striker to 'float' high up the pitch giving us someone in space to hit as often as possible. Doesn't do a lot defensively but that's not his role. He will be your teams top scorer and assist a lot as well.

Good dribblers are rewarded in this Match Engine, you'll want at least 2, ideally your Trequartista and your CM/A.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

Finishing

Composure

Acceleration

Dribbling

COMPLETE FORWARD/SUPPORT

I went with this as its one of the more advanced of the support striking roles and i didn't want both Strikers on 'Attack', 60% creator/40% goal scorer.

This guy enables the Trequartista and the CM/A to flourish in their roles.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

PASSING

VISION

FINISHING

WORK RATE

CENTRAL MIDFIELD/ATTACK

A vital role in the team as this guy will be your most influential player. I've previously viewed the CM/A role as a runner/goal scorer but in FM15 he operates more as an advanced playmaker, most attacks go though him and he is much more of a passer, creator unlocking defences with the killer pass.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

PASSING

VISION

TECHNIQUE

DRIBBLING

BALL WINNING MIDFIELDER

Never really used these guys before, but i really wanted some 'bite' in midfield to assist us with our 'high press'. I didn't realise how good these guys could be going forward and they make a major contribution to our attacking play.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

Work Rate

Tackling

Determination

Passing

ANCHOR MAN

With our midfield trio pressing hard we want our Anchor to hold position in front of the back 4 giving us an extra body in defence at all times. We dont require a lot from him going forward other than to move play up into midfield with some basic passing.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

Positioning

Tackling

Marking

Determination

FULL BACK/SUPPORT

Once i realised crossing from deep was so effective i knew i could drop these guys to Support Duty and still have them provide width to the tactic and some quality crosses. They also stay in position more adding weight to our defence.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

Crossing

Positioning

Acceleration

Tackling

CENTRE BACKS

Not the most exciting of roles but essential none the less. 2 things we need to deal with here. The threat of set pieces and the threat from general play. Good Jumping Reach and Marking are excellent in general play and vital in defending set pieces. 2 Dominant Headers here can make a massive difference.

KEY ATTRIBUTES

Jumping Reach

Marking

Decisions

Concentration

(+ Positioning!)

GOAL KEEPER

Another key role, our last line of defence. Although not a glamorous position it must be a priority, I like to get a young top level keeper early on (or one with the potential to be a top level Keeper) and keep them for years. Safe in the knowledge I have that position sewn up for the rest of my save.

That’s not possible in the lower leagues where I often go the other route and look for someone who’s been put out to pasture at 35,36,37 but would still be excellent for me on a free transfer.

Either way they need to be up to the job. This is what I look for.

Aerial Ability

Reflexes

One on One’s

Handling

(If they’ve got a big gob and can organise the defence all the better ☺)

Bear in mind these are just my ideas on player types, if you have your own, great go for it. There are certainly alternative builds for each role that could work just as well and make the tactic play out a little differently. But I find recruiting to a ‘plan’ very helpful in ensuring my team gets stronger year on year which has to be the aim.

TRAINING

I know some people go nuts over training trying to squeeze every last possible attribute increase over the course of their career. I can't be bothered with all that, its a minimal return on a big investment of time.

I want my players healthy and match fit. That's it, i improve them by giving them games in the first team.

So, here's all i do.

Match Training

Maximum match training on 'tactics only' until tactic is fully fluid. Once fully fluid i put slider half way and leave on attacking movement all season. Weaker teams can use 'defensive positioning', i did this with West Brom.

General Training

Minimum of 10 weeks on team cohesion at the start of every season, then leave it on balanced all season.

OI's

I never use them..... EVER

How were the matches against Man Utd chances-wise?

I gave this a whirl with Stoke in my test save for my developing tactics. United played the exact same formation and I couldn't get out of my own half, they absolutely destroyed me (mind you, Stoke have some good central midfielders).

The same thing happened against Chelsea. I guess they have overwhelmingly better squad than Stoke.

The tactic seems best suited against teams equal to you or slightly better/weaker. Against those teams it's fantastic.

I noticed it's pretty blunt when facing a parked bus, though.

How were the matches against Man Utd chances-wise?

I gave this a whirl with Stoke in my test save for my developing tactics. United played the exact same formation and I couldn't get out of my own half, they absolutely destroyed me (mind you, Stoke have some good central midfielders).

The same thing happened against Chelsea. I guess they have overwhelmingly better squad than Stoke.

The tactic seems best suited against teams equal to you or slightly better/weaker. Against those teams it's fantastic.

I noticed it's pretty blunt when facing a parked bus, though.

Will be testing with Man City now so we'll run into plenty of parked buses, will see how it goes.

West Brom matches vs Man U.

Note at their place they had no clear cut chances and not not even a half chance.

ZSCfWrY.png

VAb7s0a.png

I played 10 matches with Stoke with fully fluid tactic, lost 6, won 3 and drew 1.

Against better opposition we not only lost, but were completely destroyed, pure carnage.

Against equal or weaker opposition, the matches were touch and go, it all came down on luck; a set piece here, a good GK save there and such, no real consistency.

10 games for me with Stamford (predicted rock bottom 120-1, next highest 40-1).

3 games I lost 6-0, 4 wins, 3 draws. Not to bad, have a pretty weak side at recruitment is really tough this year. I'll stick with it as it takes almost 6 months to get fluid as part time team

Reached the festive break in Italy.

Sadly, I've had fairly ordinary results. Wins against Napoli and Roma were the high-point but, other than that, the tactic seems hugely hit and miss. Would love to know how you attained defensive solidity at WBA, because with such a narrow midfield there is a constant barrage of crosses coming in that (especially in this FM) are always likely to lead to a goal. That's certainly where teams are scoring against me . . . well, plus corners and penalties.

Still, not a disaster by any means. Safe mid-table obscurity is probably about right for the squad.

ip4vqI8Ap

idt1v8AZp

f0nnMVz7p

im finding this tactic amazing with PSG absolutely dominating games played 18 won 15 drawn 1 and lost 2 bearing in mind my first loss was first game of the season where a different tactic scored 31 conceeded 7. First game Dele alli played in the CM A slot he bagged himself a hat trick and he is not up to the standard of this league yet.

Hi Uwe!

Year 3 with your tactics and this is my first time with it. As you know Im slow at playing but am so depressed with Brighton this season that I have to save them. So this is the first tactic Ill try. Let you know how it goes.

Nice to see you back :thup:

OK, been testing with Man City, not bad but a little too conservative for big teams.

jRLGDeT.png

Too many draws and not enough goals scored, but only lost 1 game so far.

Need to make it a touch more attacking without ruining the tactic, removing retain possession will free up the attacking play but we'll stop dominating possession. I'd like to try and keep this on.

Perhaps something as simple as changing the mentality from Control to Attacking might be enough to move the tactic where we need it.

Need to re-write the opening post.

The tactic is perfectly fine, however we need to dynamically change the 'Mentality' both before and mid game to adapt our approach to the opponent and match situation.

In theory, 1 tactic - 2 mentalities.

I've quickly written this up but will elaborate in more detail later.

CONTROL MENTALITY

Cautious use of the ball, patient probing attacks, prioritising ball retention. Safety first approach.

Tactical Implications

Team - Lower Tempo, Narrower Formation. More conservative pressing/tackling. Shorter passing range (Than default team instructions)

Player – Slightly more conservative than default Player Instructions

WHEN TO USE

When you are the UNDERDOG, especially in away matches.

To PROTECT a lead late on in games

ATTACKING MENTALITY

More adventurous attacking play, more direct, riskier passes attempted, attacks better supported. Will be vulnerable to the counter.

Tactical Implications

Team – Higher Tempo, Wider Formation, Higher Defensive Line, Longer Passing Range, more aggressive Pressing/Tackling.

Player – More aggressive/attacking than default instructions

WHEN TO USE

When you are a strong FAVOURITE at home.

When you are chasing a deficit (i.e you are behind and need a goal)

BE PREPARED TO SWITCH STRATEGIES MID GAME AS THE SITUATION REQUIRES. IF CURRENT APPROACH NOT WORKING, TRY ANOTHER!

OK, been testing with Man City, not bad but a little too conservative for big teams.

Too many draws and not enough goals scored, but only lost 1 game so far.

Need to make it a touch more attacking without ruining the tactic, removing retain possession will free up the attacking play but we'll stop dominating possession. I'd like to try and keep this on.

Perhaps something as simple as changing the mentality from Control to Attacking might be enough to move the tactic where we need it.

Sounds perfect for my Arsenal side 3rd season man. Just finished 2nd season.. out of the top 4, annoyingly. Far too many goals conceded!

ScreenShot2014-11-25at173111_zps561bbf51.jpg

Hi Rosler

Just to update, using your v1 tactics got Millwall into the prem at the first time of asking, switching to v2 has given me an ok season however the amount of goals being scored from crosses is unbelievable, 62%!

have two decent centre backs but every time a cross goes in their single striker always latches onto it, every time I see a wide man with the ball I scream at my full back to tackle him

Is this still a ME problem or is there something you can do

missing the ultimate silk and steel tactic but have the faith that you'llre-create it

keep up the good work!

Hi Rosler

Just to update, using your v1 tactics got Millwall into the prem at the first time of asking, switching to v2 has given me an ok season however the amount of goals being scored from crosses is unbelievable, 62%!

have two decent centre backs but every time a cross goes in their single striker always latches onto it, every time I see a wide man with the ball I scream at my full back to tackle him

Is this still a ME problem or is there something you can do

missing the ultimate silk and steel tactic but have the faith that you'llre-create it

keep up the good work!

I would say its a mixture of a few things, the formation is vulnerable to wing play, wing play is still the preferred choice of attacking for a lot of AI teams and you've just been promoted so your team will be weaker than most you face, a lot weaker than many so you will rightly struggle at times.

If you stay up with Millwall first season in the Prem i would say the tactic is working even if its not pretty at times.

Well its early days yet but started as a sunday league player with all my licences at Brighton, spent 1.45m on seven pretty unknown signings (most 400k for Foster from Sheff wed and 425 fro Strandberg from Hacken) and.

in all competitions Ive played 7 and won 7! Lua Lua converted in to the MC role has been a revelation. We don't score that many but we concede even less (total 13 for, 3 against). Mostly Ive played attacking at home.

Of course the shoe WILL drop but so far so good... when we were predicted to finish 13th.

Need to re-write the opening post.

The tactic is perfectly fine, however we need to dynamically change the 'Mentality' both before and mid game to adapt our approach to the opponent and match situation.

In theory, 1 tactic - 2 mentalities.

I've quickly written this up but will elaborate in more detail later.

CONTROL MENTALITY

Cautious use of the ball, patient probing attacks, prioritising ball retention. Safety first approach.

Tactical Implications

Team - Lower Tempo, Narrower Formation. More conservative pressing/tackling. Shorter passing range (Than default team instructions)

Player – Slightly more conservative than default Player Instructions

WHEN TO USE

When you are the UNDERDOG, especially in away matches.

To PROTECT a lead late on in games

ATTACKING MENTALITY

More adventurous attacking play, more direct, riskier passes attempted, attacks better supported. Will be vulnerable to the counter.

Tactical Implications

Team – Higher Tempo, Wider Formation, Higher Defensive Line, Longer Passing Range, more aggressive Pressing/Tackling.

Player – More aggressive/attacking than default instructions

WHEN TO USE

When you are a strong FAVOURITE at home.

When you are chasing a deficit (i.e you are behind and need a goal)

BE PREPARED TO SWITCH STRATEGIES MID GAME AS THE SITUATION REQUIRES. IF CURRENT APPROACH NOT WORKING, TRY ANOTHER!

Can we download both tactics?

Can we download both tactics?

Just download the posted tactic and change the mentality to 'attacking'. Thats it.

You can then save it as a separate tactic so you can flip between the control/attacking versions.

They are identical apart from the mentality (which changes lots of things).

Well Mr R, I finally succumbed - There wasn't anything particularly wrong with the tactic I was using, but it was a bit "direct" and not exactly pretty to watch. It was also giving me quite a lot of close games - 1 goal margins etc. So switched to UTB version 2 - early days, as I've only played 2 matches, but it plays a lot nicer, and it's given me two victories and two clean sheets with 7 goals, which have taken my largely unchanged Colchester United team to the top of league 1.

Had a wobble after going to west Ham in the cup after extra time but recovered superbly.... now p15 w 10 d3 l2 gf 29 ga 12... top by four points with a team expected to finish 13th in the champ. Generally attack at home and control away unless underdogs at home or clear favourites away.

Im told that all the sites I sued last year for putting up screenshots are paid. Any left I can use that are free and then Ill put up screenshots.

Had a wobble after going to west Ham in the cup after extra time but recovered superbly.... now p15 w 10 d3 l2 gf 29 ga 12... top by four points with a team expected to finish 13th in the champ. Generally attack at home and control away unless underdogs at home or clear favourites away.

Im told that all the sites I sued last year for putting up screenshots are paid. Any left I can use that are free and then Ill put up screenshots.

Imgur :thup:

I'm looking at some different corner set ups, there seem to be a few good one's based around short corners, i'll test some and see how i get on. If they are too powerful/gamey i wont use them but i'm not getting a very good return from them at the moment so there is definately room for improvement.

Well Mr R, I finally succumbed - There wasn't anything particularly wrong with the tactic I was using, but it was a bit "direct" and not exactly pretty to watch. It was also giving me quite a lot of close games - 1 goal margins etc. So switched to UTB version 2 - early days, as I've only played 2 matches, but it plays a lot nicer, and it's given me two victories and two clean sheets with 7 goals, which have taken my largely unchanged Colchester United team to the top of league 1.

Just make sure you use both mentalities, Aleynasdad has got it spot on, 'Generally attack at home and control away unless underdogs at home or clear favourites away'

Archived