Help: Getting efficient performances from a team

Hi,

Just like Juan Manuel Lillo, I usually favour a 4-2-3-1 setup for my teams.

This year, I have gone down a different route due to how the ME handles the AMl/AMR.

I'm managing Almería in Spain's top division. We have an unremarkable squad which is predicted to struggle. I have a decent number of CM's and I have good physical strikers.

My aim is to play an efficient style of football. I want to be reasonably solid at the back with the aim of getting the ball forward with purpose and speed. I don't want to be playing "long ball" football but efficient passing (I'm no fan of tiki-taka or hoof ball so a happy medium)

I've currently set my team up as:

GK(D)

FB(S) CD(D) CD(D) FB(A)

W(A) DLP(D) CM(D) WM(S)

AP(S)

AF(A)

I did have a lot of shouts selected but I've taken them all off as I'm not sure they were having any effect.

I've used all sorts of starting strategies (counter, control and attack) without finding one that fits. I've been setting the team as "fluid"

Currently we are sitting 11th in the league in February. So we are doing better than expectations suggested that we should. Despite this, I think that there is more promise

I am having some problems but I am not sure on the best way to solve them. I would appreciate some input

1. We don't really create anything centrally. Almost all of my goals come from the wings to my very tall physical strikers

2. The AF comes quite deep when I want him to be an outlet and stay further up the pitch

3. The DLP and the AP get in each others way. The DLP seems to get quite forward and they occupy the same space. If I change to an AP(A) he gets in the way of the striker. WOuld I be better with another role?

4. My wingers/WM's aren't getting forward often enough. I also don't really like the WM as a duty but I've chosen it for some variety in attack

5. We concede a lot. Only 3 clean sheets in 23 games. I've conceded 37 and scored 39. My CB's seem to be beaten by crosses a lot and we let wingers cut inside and shoot from the edge of the box. I've been unable to solve this with OI's or tackling changes

6. We don't dominate possession at all. Irrespective of strategy. When I use the retain possession shout it appears that the opposition regroup their defence better and I find it harder to create. I don't necessarily mind not having all the possession if we were ruthless with our chances but we are struggling to create any in the first place. As such, not having possession is a real risk

I suspect that a number of these are linked to my starting strategy. The fact is that I'm not really sure on which one I should select. I'd welcome some discussion/advice as to how you would set this up? Is my formation a problem or are there glaring mistakes in my player roles/duties?

But you're doing better than expected. How realistic are you being to want more than that?

I agree that you should want more, as that desire is integral to success typically (in a game or not)... but the reasons behind many of those issues is that the players your players are facing are frequently better at things. You can mitigate that to a degree with the right motivating, the right tactical setup to cover your weaknesses and bring out your strengths, but in the end, quality is going to tell.

Players getting in each others way, for example - that might not be what you're telling them to do so much as them lacking positional awareness and making poor decisions.

Loss of possession - again, attributes play a part. Players with better positioning than your players have vision are always going to pick off passes. Players with higher agility and good tackling are always going to steal possession.

Players not getting forward - off the ball ability isn't good enough and they're not seeing the space when it's open to make the runs necessary, and players on the opposing team with good positioning are closing off the avenues quicker than your players react.

And so on.

I also suspect that you might do better with more tactical consistency (IE not changing things so often, picking a style and working on enhancing it over time instead of making big changes when it doesn't work) but that's just a suspicion - other people change tactical setup regularly and seem to do just fine, but for me it always causes very choppy inconsistent form.

Hi,

Just like Juan Manuel Lillo, I usually favour a 4-2-3-1 setup for my teams.

This year, I have gone down a different route due to how the ME handles the AMl/AMR.

I'm managing Almería in Spain's top division. We have an unremarkable squad which is predicted to struggle. I have a decent number of CM's and I have good physical strikers.

My aim is to play an efficient style of football. I want to be reasonably solid at the back with the aim of getting the ball forward with purpose and speed. I don't want to be playing "long ball" football but efficient passing (I'm no fan of tiki-taka or hoof ball so a happy medium)

I've currently set my team up as:

GK(D)

FB(S) CD(D) CD(D) FB(A)

W(A) DLP(D) CM(D) WM(S)

AP(S)

AF(A)

I did have a lot of shouts selected but I've taken them all off as I'm not sure they were having any effect.

I've used all sorts of starting strategies (counter, control and attack) without finding one that fits. I've been setting the team as "fluid"

Currently we are sitting 11th in the league in February. So we are doing better than expectations suggested that we should. Despite this, I think that there is more promise

I am having some problems but I am not sure on the best way to solve them. I would appreciate some input

1. We don't really create anything centrally. Almost all of my goals come from the wings to my very tall physical strikers

2. The AF comes quite deep when I want him to be an outlet and stay further up the pitch

3. The DLP and the AP get in each others way. The DLP seems to get quite forward and they occupy the same space. If I change to an AP(A) he gets in the way of the striker. WOuld I be better with another role?

4. My wingers/WM's aren't getting forward often enough. I also don't really like the WM as a duty but I've chosen it for some variety in attack

5. We concede a lot. Only 3 clean sheets in 23 games. I've conceded 37 and scored 39. My CB's seem to be beaten by crosses a lot and we let wingers cut inside and shoot from the edge of the box. I've been unable to solve this with OI's or tackling changes

6. We don't dominate possession at all. Irrespective of strategy. When I use the retain possession shout it appears that the opposition regroup their defence better and I find it harder to create. I don't necessarily mind not having all the possession if we were ruthless with our chances but we are struggling to create any in the first place. As such, not having possession is a real risk

I suspect that a number of these are linked to my starting strategy. The fact is that I'm not really sure on which one I should select. I'd welcome some discussion/advice as to how you would set this up? Is my formation a problem or are there glaring mistakes in my player roles/duties?

I imagine, you don't have many players attacking the box, due to too many players on "support" or "defend". I think the first thing you should try is change the AP from support to attack and change the DLP from defend to support and see how you get on.

I think changing your DLP-D to DLP-S will help. Brings him closer to both your attacking winger and the AP-S.
I imagine, you don't have many players attacking the box, due to too many players on "support" or "defend". I think the first thing you should try is change the AP from support to attack and change the DLP from defend to support and see how you get on.

Happy to give that a go, but the DLP (S) and the AP(A) seem to crowd each other out

But you're doing better than expected. How realistic are you being to want more than that?

That is a fair question - it is the performances that I have seen that are the concerning thing and that is more what I am trying to change.

DO either of you have any feelings on the style that I should be looking for (Control/counter etc)

Archived