Help an idiot please

Hi all

I have to admit to being pretty clueless with tactics so could use some advice. I play with Spurs in the Premier League.

I've read the pairs and combinations thread and got to this stage so far. I want to play 4-2-3-1 with high line and pressing. Slower short passing to probe teams that are on the defensive.

Ignore a few of the players I have in there at the moment as I'm in the process of transfers. It's just advice on roles and instructions I'm after.

This is what I have at the moment:

4231-2.jpg~original

4231instr-2.jpg~original

The only player instructions I have are for the keeper to "distribute to full backs" and the AMC to "roam from position".

I haven't tested anything yet. I'm probably going about this all wrong but is there anything glaringly obvious that anyone can see?

Thanks for any advice.

Up to me :

Very weak in the MC : especially with the RPM; should try less roamer role MC (defense/support MC or better BWM with right PI); I prefer to have 2 BWM in the middle

Left IF : support is better (with high mentality in PI); with attack role, the player seems to do more crossings (not good with his wrong feet)

FB : only on support : they just have to support/recycle the ball with the 2 MC from the four attack players

Ad Forward : I guess he's too high. Just play an entire match to see the right role

Advanced PM : Roaming in PI, to escape from high marking

The weakness of this formation is the absence of DMC and the lack of Midfielders. If you loss the ball on the last third, the opposition could go very quickly near your GB. So high pressure is a good way

And if you have some troubles after several matches, go up your tempo

Fluidity and Normal (standard)

Give us some feedbacks

Hi, Tiger. I'm not an expert, but I sllightly disagree with quenta on some points. I think your formation looks well balanced. In my opinion a BWM in CM will leave you more exposed than your current set-up. A BWM will leave the position and close down heavily. This can leave your defense very exposed. In my opinion you need 2 holding CM's in a 4-2-3-1. My advice is to test your current formation in a few friedlies an see if you can identify any problems. There are no obvious issues as far as I can see.

4-2-3-1 denmark is a very attack minded and you might experience that you conceide a lot of goals, but you will probably score a lot as well.

Good luck!

I would also change up your shouts. With that formation, and using play out of defense with shorter passing means less options for defenders to move the ball forward considering there is no linkup between them and the midfield - this is compounded even more since you're trying to focus passing through the middle. Normally with this formation I notice most movement forward is done more on the wings.

Is there any particular reason you haven't ticked "close down more/much more"? It seems like the logical companion to "push higher up" + "use offside trap", unless you just wanna play a high line while still giving your opponents all the time to ping balls over the top (which, come to think of it, is pretty much what Spurs is doing IRL).

Also, I would be a bit worried of the team losing all shape with a fluid mentality + "be more expressive" + "roam from position", but maybe it works.

I would also change up your shouts. With that formation, and using play out of defense with shorter passing means less options for defenders to move the ball forward considering there is no linkup between them and the midfield - this is compounded even more since you're trying to focus passing through the middle. Normally with this formation I notice most movement forward is done more on the wings.

Isn't roaming playmakers supposed to come deep for the ball?

Is there any particular reason you haven't ticked "close down more/much more"? It seems like the logical companion to "push higher up" + "use offside trap", unless you just wanna play a high line while still giving your opponents all the time to ping balls over the top (which, come to think of it, is pretty much what Spurs is doing IRL).

Also, I would be a bit worried of the team losing all shape with a fluid mentality + "be more expressive" + "roam from position", but maybe it works.

Isn't roaming playmakers supposed to come deep for the ball?

Yes there is a reason. I don't really know what I'm doing haha. I'll add close down more and see how it goes. I'll take a look at the expressive and roam from position shouts too. Thanks Kubo.

Hi Tiger, im not an expert too, and im playing FM14 still, hopefully I can still offer you some good tactic idea

1. With Shorter passing and Lower tempo shouts, both TI's will lower ur tempo, which could be too slow to penetrate opponent. (Suggestion: Remove Lower Tempo)

2. Shorter Passing + Exploit Middle = may not utilise your IF's to great extent. (Suggesttion: move them into AM position, or remove Exploit Middle shout)

3. not too sure about More Roaming shout could leave ur both CM all over the place, during transition play. (Suggestion: change player role. Eg. both DLP with 1 def 1 support)

4. Control team mentality already place your defensive line high enough. With no DM strata formation even higher. (Suggestion: Remove Push Higher Shout)

Not necessary to apply all of my points into your game plan. Change some of them as you see it fit your plan.

Archived