Defensive Midfielder

BrightLad5

I've always struggled to get the best out of a defensive midfielder. I often use them sitting behind 2 creative CM in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation which uses pace, possesion and wing play. At the moment I am in January playing a 4-2-2-2 with an extra striker and no DMC. I am scoring plenty but understandably i am letting in too many with too much space in front of my defenders.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best player role for this DMC? Which attributes do you consider the most suitable for this type of position? He needs to be strong and be able to link up the play, ideally in a short passing, possession retaining team.

Just a bit of extra information, I am playing in Conference North with Worcester. I feel if I can sign a great DMC and use him properly i could tighten up a lot and get some consistant performances.

Any help would be great!

I play 4-1-2-2-1 with Spurs and select Half back as the role for the DM position. Stambouli is doing a great job there for me. Not sure if it would work in the conference but worth a try. Have a look at Stambouli's stats to see where he is strongest and then try to find a watered down version for the conference. IMO, the best stats would be Positioning, tackling, anticipation, passing and decision. YOu may need to add strength, jumping and heading for your league.

Archived