Older Players more useful than before?

Ever since I started playing FM/CM some years ago, I've tended to be a bit of an age fascist, culling (not literally) the older members of the squad. Once I'd achieved some measure of success, even my best players (sometimes the best player in the world in their position) would be sold to the highest bidder aged 29/30 to be replaced by an exciting prospect in the squad. Very occasionally I would keep a club legend around as a rotation/backup player with a view to them becoming a coach, but almost always I would let them go and be operating with young players and continually recycling.

However on FM15, I've noticed that I'm keeping senior members of the squad until much older and still finding them to be useful contributors well into their mid to late 30s, even as their stats decline, and really enjoying it.

I was just wondering how other people tackle the age issue, whether they have noticed any discernible difference in FM15 or whether maybe I'm just becoming more tolerant towards ageing members of our society?

I almost always have the youngest team in the league.

Only at the start in the really low leagues do I tend to have a lot of older players. There are just less options of other players and they aren't going to be there for more than a couple of seasons anyway. After that I switch from the right now mentality of using an old player to the much great upside of using youngsters, some of which will stay about until they're older but its rare that someone else doesn't come along or a tempting transfer offer is made in the 10 years they might have as a first team player.

Ever since I started playing FM/CM some years ago, I've tended to be a bit of an age fascist, culling (not literally) the older members of the squad. Once I'd achieved some measure of success, even my best players (sometimes the best player in the world in their position) would be sold to the highest bidder aged 29/30 to be replaced by an exciting prospect in the squad. Very occasionally I would keep a club legend around as a rotation/backup player with a view to them becoming a coach, but almost always I would let them go and be operating with young players and continually recycling.

However on FM15, I've noticed that I'm keeping senior members of the squad until much older and still finding them to be useful contributors well into their mid to late 30s, even as their stats decline, and really enjoying it.

I was just wondering how other people tackle the age issue, whether they have noticed any discernible difference in FM15 or whether maybe I'm just becoming more tolerant towards ageing members of our society?

Depends on their natural fitness score and technical stats really. Older players are still contributing a lot nowadays so I'm assuming that's getting reflected in the game as well with a lower stat depreciation rate.

The problem is for me is that the older players are usually winding down their contracts around the late 20's early 30's and they always seem to want a big pay off for their next contract but they're just not as good as they used to be, even if they are still good. I nearly always cash in and replace with a much younger player who wants considerably less wages.

Older players were always very useful. Experience plays a big role in FM, especially in big/crucial matches. I know most FM players preffer young teams with talents they can nicely sell, but if you want to do something good fastly especially in LLM, you have to have experience on your side

I signed Pablo Aimar on a free transfer on my save with FC Midtjylland (Denmark). He's played 15 games without a goal or assist. Older players are not always more useful!

Haha of course players are not bound to play well regardless of their age :p

I was a bit surprised to read in the FM tooltip while loading a save "Goalkeepers reach their peak during age of 30 to 35".

This might have been true in the 80s or 90s, it certainly isn't true in 2014 anymore.

Some of the best goalkeepers in the German Bundesliga are between 22 and 25 years (Bernd Leno: 22, Oliver Baumann: 24, Roman Bürki: 24, R-R Zieler: 25, ter Stegen: 22). Manuel Neuer is 28, I don't think he will reach another peak with 32. As the modern type of the Sweeper Keeper has to be much more physical, strength and stamina play a completely different role.

Older players were always very useful. Experience plays a big role in FM, especially in big/crucial matches. I know most FM players preffer young teams with talents they can nicely sell, but if you want to do something good fastly especially in LLM, you have to have experience on your side

It's 2018 and Gerrard is still going strong (no, not literally).

+ Exhibits better body language for important cup and rival matches.

+ Still provides an x-factor from dead ball situations.

- Always gets booked in the first half after getting skinned.

- FM15 is not CM5. Some things are hard to let go.

I generally manage small/medium-sized teams in terms of wealth. I need to focus on buying low and selling high in order to rise up the ladder. Unless an older player can be acquired on a free transfer, they are of the buy high, sell low type, and I feel that works against me.

Archived