FM15 - The Sky Bet Football League thread

Jogo Bonito

@smp: Welcome back! Interesting choice in Cheltenham, and I hope it works out well for you. I see most of your signings are non-league players, so they will have to step up a level. Having said that, Gorman and Love are possibly the best two non-contract players you can sign from that level. You'll have to talk me through the £13k for Matty Taylor - what have you seen in him that you couldn't get for free? Best of luck mate, the five year plan sounds very sensible - and the last two results are encouraging for sure.

Yes, Wheeler and Ross Allen (signed from Guernsey) have really found some good form. I was using Wheeler mainly as RW until the latest injury for Kieron Morris, then had to switch him to LW and put Davies on the right.

The players leaving will be Butterfield, Dawson, Riley-Lowe, Oakley, Davies, Cummins and Jamie Reid from the first team squad. I'd like to keep Oakley as a coach but the board won't allow it, so there is no point keeping him as a player only at 37 years of age. Maybe if he leaves, I can somehow get him back on the staff. I would have kept Davies if he accepted a 50% pay-cut, but he wouldn't agree that. I might have kept Riley-Lowe but he was sulking due to only making three starts all season. Against my better judgement, I have kept Woodman and Baldwin as cover players for one more season, despite their ages - and due to accepting massively reduced wages. Quite a few U21/U18 players will be released too, although I have kept some on.

Cheers! I've managed to win my next 2 games since the update as well both 2-1, away to Tranmere and home to Hartlepool.

Yeah, I didn't have much to play with and I needed to strengthen, so i'm hoping they'll make the step up.

For 19 years old, Taylor has good att's for Passing, Technique, Flair and Determination on my save and with me adopting the Rodgers/Swansea promotion style of play, I felt he was someone who I can develop in to a first teamer for league 1 in a few years time. Why I paid for him I cannot remember. I would like to think I would have picked him up on a free if I could have!? :s

I agree with the players you've decided on letting go, do you fear there are some players that might move on in the summer against your will as well? The likes of Wheeler and Ribiero etc.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kaiser - well done, you have a bit of a gap to the teams below so hopefully it will be enough. What happened to Ezekiel?

smp - that's great to string four wins together so soon. I'm not sure if Taylor should have been free at the start of the season, just a bit surprised you paid £13k for him. I hope your punts pay off, I like signing non-league players and giving them the opportunity to shine so admire you for that.

Nobody else is leaving Exeter - they're all signed up until at least 2016 now. I'll see if I can extend the loans or sign McGee and Morris again too.

@Jogo - Fair enough. Do you have any targets eyed up already for next season?

Yeah I like seeing players step up. Love has been fantastic and has nailed down a starting spot. Gorman was fantastic in his first 2 games but then got injured. Taylor has been injured since pre-season so hasn't had chance to get some game time under his belt.

I said I'd continue my write up of morecambe later and here it is. In my second season I came 9th, only a few points off the playoffs. I feel the squad was good enough to at least get 7th so I feel I failed them because I persisted with my tactics despite inconsistent results. I've now edited the two I use (counter and control 4-5-1 variations) significantly so hopefully we can at least get playoffs.

I brought in a number of players on a free and let go of a few out of contract at the beginning of the 2015/16 season. Shaun Miller, Jordan Stewart, Anthony griffiths and mark oxley were the key players. The season had us around 7th for most of it but we didn't do enough to get promotion. We got to the 3rd round of the FA Cup against Villa at Villa Park and lost 3-0 which brought in some money. My issue with the club is that without promotion, it is now going nowhere. The facilities have now been downgraded even more and the club has insecure finances, with the board keen to ensure the sale of players. This is despite me saving what I would estimate to be around 7k per week on wages since joining the club by resigning contracts with cut wages and bringing in good but cheap staff.

It is this really that led me to accept an interview with Peterborough in June 2016 at the beginning of my 3rd season/end of the second. I didn't get the job but the blow was softened by getting a baffling offer from Jamaica at 2,400 quid a week to be their manager which I of course accepted. This fine nation of 2.3 million people now has me to call their leader; a middling league two manager from the north-west. Inspirational. I look forward to smoking da 'erb with the reggae boys come the international break.

Signed 3 very good players on frees for morecambe so am confident for this season, just hope the board don't meddle too much so I can go into the campaign on a positive note. C'mon the shrimps!

Chongtom, it sounds like it's a tough task with the tight finances and limited resources. Morecambe and Jamaica - a match made in heaven :cool:

smp, I'll go through my shortlist of all the players that rejected me in season 1, and then when that fails I will come up with some new targets to look at. There's nothing set up for next season yet, but I'm in to April and will get this season done soon. Regarding your Cheltenham, is Harrison making much of an impact?

Kaiser - well done, you have a bit of a gap to the teams below so hopefully it will be enough. What happened to Ezekiel?

Signed in towards end of November on a free but didn't make debut until close to end of January due to international commitments. Then in game 6 on a cold night in Burnley Hamstring went - 3 Months , he'll finish with 6 games 4 goals.

He really did add a different dimension to my team with his pace and creating space for others but for now its back to Will Grigg the battering ram who has been club top scorer for past 2 seasons and will be again.

37517fa94a0609770e790b4cdc1712fb.png

Nice home draw which gives me a slight chance. Hoping to cause an upset and somehow keep going so I can raise some cash for next seasons transfer budget. Dele Alli hasn't started very well just yet, my tactic is nowhere near as efficient as i'd like just yet depsite me still being unbeaten all season and 6-1-0 in the league. Too many from long range, going to try dropping some players back in the hope I can draw some teams out and make better quality chances.

smp, I'll go through my shortlist of all the players that rejected me in season 1, and then when that fails I will come up with some new targets to look at. There's nothing set up for next season yet, but I'm in to April and will get this season done soon. Regarding your Cheltenham, is Harrison making much of an impact?

Harrison has been hampered by injury and has only managed 8 appearances so far, scoring 2 goals. I feel the formation and style I am playing requires a better level of striker than what I have, but I've switched De Vita from the wing to the lone striker and it seems to suit my team a lot more, with him bagging 3 goals in his last 5 games.

I'm currently sitting 14th after 15 games on 22 points, a healthy 10 points clear of the relegation zone already. Like I said previously my aim is to consolidate my place in the league this season before starting on properly building my own squad and club.

I've unfortunately been drawn away to Oldham in the first round of the FA Cup. I was hoping for 1 or 2 easier draws so I could raise some money by getting through and facing a big side.

I've got a big home game against 17th place York coming up now, potential to get us up towards the top half and further away from that drop zone.

@Kaiser: That's really tough. Hopefully he will come back strong next season though, he has great quality for that level.

@lewis: Sorry mate, I'm a bit confused. 6-1-0 in the league would indicate you're in September, but you're in the 4th Round of one cup? I'm sure that Alli will come good, even at much higher levels everybody seems to have success with him. What kind of formation are you playing to get the best out of him and Hourihane? If there is a weakness in the original squad, I would imagine it's probably the lack of a prolific striker - have you signed somebody or did you find somebody at the club to fill that role?

@smp: That's a solid start and definitely you can be pleased with that. Harrison isn't a bad L2 striker for a smaller club, but it's the same at Exeter - we don't have 'something special' to make the difference and win tight matches. I think we are at similar type clubs, with similar long-term plans, it's certainly not going to be overnight success. Tough draw getting Oldham, it's not too easy, and definitely not very exciting, so hard to see the positives in that!

Hopefully the power supply will be kind to me so that I can finish off my first season today, and assess what I can do with my squad ahead of season 2 :cool:

@lewis: Sorry mate, I'm a bit confused. 6-1-0 in the league would indicate you're in September, but you're in the 4th Round of one cup? I'm sure that Alli will come good, even at much higher levels everybody seems to have success with him. What kind of formation are you playing to get the best out of him and Hourihane? If there is a weakness in the original squad, I would imagine it's probably the lack of a prolific striker - have you signed somebody or did you find somebody at the club to fill that role?

I have just played the 3rd round on the 23rd of September and the draw was on the 26th or 27th. It's the capital one cup. I think it is the striking department that's letting me down. Don't really have any targets yet unfortunately.

Well my FM crashed last night but thankfully I only lost 2-3 days of game (Phew!). I now have Brighton in the COC so looking forward to that now. I'm going to start giving Lita a chance in the next month as I haven't been fair to him.

200px-Shrewsbury_Town_FC_zpse264ff41.png

Shrewsbury Town

Whilst not quite matching the 1983/84 record season where Shrewsbury Town finished 8th in the second tier of English Football , the five year plan comes to an end with the Shrews back in one of Europe's most competitive leagues.

It had all started with a side expected to gain promotion from League Two at the first attempt needing a late goal from Andy Robinson to grab a point away to AFC Wimbledon to 276 games later Shrews finishing a respectable 19th in the Championship. With Imoh Ezekiel out injured for the majority of his stay at the club it was once again Will Grigg who lead the clubs goalscoring charts. Richie Towell was as per usual sublime in the middle of the park and was rewarded with his first international cap for the Republic of Ireland.

The plan for the new season is more of the same , not planning pull up any trees or anything , just keep the ball rolling nicely in the championship and maybe add a cup run. Whilst been twice JPT winners the club has only progressed past the third round of the FA Cup once and the league cup record is even worse .

The main movers and shakers over the five year period see Shrewsbury Town , Portsmouth and Fleetwood Town as championship clubs , Exeter City a very creditable league one playoff side and Bolton Wanderers heading to League Two. Birmingham City were indeed quite lucky not to be joining them. Gateshead are making good inroads in League Two also narrowly missing the playoffs.

The current squad which has been made up solely from free transfers and its proposed first XI come august in its 433/451 formation. Charly Musonda been the only addition so far this summer

squad_zpsc6fb79e9.jpg

Kaiser, good post. That's a respectable finish indeed. It's nice to see your complete squad (I'm wondering how you managed to get all that on one screen shot), and I'm impressed to hear that it's made up entirely of free transfers.

As a matter of interest, Shrewsbury just got promoted from L2 in my game - despite us grabbing an 89th minute equaliser at Greenhous Meadow in our 42nd fixture. They have 81 points from 41 games, but probably won't catch Portsmouth (92 points from 41 games). Oxford are 3rd with only 68 points, so there is a massive gap for the top two. It's also interesting to see that they signed Chris Lester on loan in October 2014 too. Exeter are just about in contention for the play-offs, but we are sat 11th with four games remaining so it will be a surprise.

Promotedfm15STFC_zpsd0c02445.jpg

Budgets_zps2a631bb9.jpg

Secured Promotion to the championship!! Wasn't expecting that but with the amount of goals we were scoring we always looked like winning. Got a sizable budget but do not know what to do with it :lol: any help would be greatly appreciated :thup: although Joey Barton on a free is tempting:D

@Jogo Its a view i created , its not exactly perfectly lined up or anything but helps me see how things are going easier and helps with rotation as its all in the center of my screen and then the PC resolution allows for 25 lines before a scroll.

defense_zps5a1aa82a.jpg

Anyways back to another mini update, IMOH EZEKIEL fully fit in the championship -- hmm where do i begin. Its October and I am already looking for his replacement as he won't be here in January with his 4.3M release clause.

I can resign him to a new contract by doubling his wages raising that min release clause by around 10m, given that he does get quite a bit more than everyone else as it is would create great disparity at the club which i don't think is fair on some of the other stalwarts at the club. He (solely) has given me a problem. Even a punt upfield if it gives him a chance of a 1v1 against a centre half is a cracking ball.

The club is buzzing, everyone is playing blinders sure they have the confidence as they have a monster up-top to cover any mistakes they make.

Tactic wise and player wise its the same as last season well apart from Musonda(MC) and Hunt(LB) but they are not making up the difference - Ezekiel didn't play in either of the Capital One Cup games

gol_zps0c0eb4db.jpg

EDIT # Congrats Stfc Mason on Promotion

@Stfc mason: Congrats on that! They've given you a healthy budget for next season too. I'm sure you don't need to do too much to strengthen your squad, and probably don't need much help - but if you do, give a shout out for the positions you need and perhaps us residents can throw a few names at you.

@Kaiser: Hmm, 25 lines before a scroll would be magic as I never have a squad bigger than that. That's brilliant from Ezekiel, it makes such a difference to have a talent like that. However, I do agree with you - it may not be in your best interests to make it a one-man team, as squad harmony can be affected so easily in this game and making him on a different level to everybody else could backfire. I'm sure you'll make the right decision. It's a long way from a L2 club like Exeter, where I am off-loading the big earners on £800-£900 p/w and offering reduced deals to everybody!

@lewis: Superb, he's going to excel for you!

6fa06357-d01e-40bd-807e-85bc7db31519_zps658a2a92.gif

The summer transfer window saw us spend £1.1m, bringing in 7 players. The main outlay went on Australia and Fulham winger Ryan Williams who had been a part of the team that gained promotion from League 1, as we spent £625k to secure his services permanently. We then also added Ruben Loftus-Cheek on loan from Chelsea for a monthly outlay of £40k, before adding free transfer signings of Andrew Davies, Jack Price and another former loanee, Bastien Héry. Jack Barmby also signed for his 3rd season on loan, and we finished off the transfer window adding Liverpool forward Sergi Canos on loan. In terms of departures, Kamil Zayatte was the biggest name to leave, joining Chesterfield for £51k. 6 other players departed on a free including league-2 standout Jamie Devitt, and promising, but under-performing striker Jack Sampson.

Things are going well in the Championship so far. We're sitting in 7th place in the league, with 17 points from 9 games. We're also in an incredibly strong position, as we have 2 games in hand on 1st to 3rd. We've done all this without primary striker Jack Redshaw, who's been out injured with a torn hamstring for 2 months. Ryan Williams has stepped up and scored 6 in 9 playing as a false-nine, Barmby has chipped in 4 goals, and Wildschut has scored 5 in 7. The goals have been leaking once again, as we've conceded 3 times in a game 3 times already, but with the goals flowing, as they have throughout my time as Morecambe manager, we've only lost one of those three games. The goal-scoring has been pretty amazing again, only Blackpool have more goals, but having played 2 games less, we have by far the best goals-per-game ratio. That should improve further when we get talisman Jack Redshaw back in a couple of weeks.

ScreenShot2015-01-11at054142_zpsc428196d.pngcb475b05-d534-4928-893f-319b3650c734_zps7d90d65d.png

Oh well, you got your man, that's the important thing. Shame about Pringle, another tidy player.

I lost out on a couple of players that I thought I could sign for free with Exeter quite early in my first season. The first one was based in Ireland, and the second was an English player based in USA. Initial offers were rejected, so I thought I would go back in for them when their contracts expired in December. Unfortunately by then, both had signed new contracts and I lost my men.

@Kaiser - great updates this weekend mate :thup: I can only dream of matching that after 5 years with Cheltenham.

@Stfc - Congratulations on the promotion :thup:

@lewis999 - Great win away to Sheff Utd. I knew Ali was going to be a brilliant signing for you.

@Danm - Going well with Morecambe there, as an interested Liverpool fan, how is Canos performing on loan for you?

@Jogo - How is your save coming along mate? Apologies for the late reply, but I've been travelling back home to Germany.

I shall be working on my Cheltenham save this week. I'll post a photo update when I get to January.

Also, nice to see this thread so active with people playing with a good mix of teams! :cool:

@smp: I've literally just finished the season with Exeter and will sort out the relevant images and hopefully do my update tomorrow. I hope the journey back was good, and believe that's probably more important than playing FM! Will look forward to your updates when you have a chance to progress it further though.

P.S. I had no idea they had moved the Rhondda Valleys to Germany - it's fair to say the UK isn't like I remember it ;)

@Joga - Looking forward to seeing how your season went with Exeter. Hopefully a play-off challenge next year if you didn't this year?

@smplfc - Thanks, Alli is doing well now, his avg rating has picked up and i've tried to make him the focal point of the team. Will be reading your update when it is posted too.

On another note, I was just playing Forest Green in the FA Cup 1st round and when I was winning they went very ambitious.

7bd6551b053cb8abd8d3209c8a8c103a.png

Suffice to say their sweeper was nothing like Beckenbauer fortunately.

@CityAndColour: I'd never really studied it, but now you mention it, yes it does look like that! Living in 'the land of lions', I should stay away from them (Shrewsbury I mean) - and probably lions too!

@smp: Good stuff, I heard the weather over there was pretty bad. Home is always home, I agree. I'll get my Exeter update done soon, I think (hope) it might be interesting to read.

@lewis: It sounds like Alli is a similar situation to one I had with Grimes. I switched his role late on in one game to try and scramble a draw, and he scored an equaliser. I kept that formation after that until the end of the season (just for his benefit), and he really picked up a new level of performance. I was concerned it might be negated by drops in form of some of my other better players as I needed to change their roles a bit too, but the overall results were good and we went on a little run. As a fan of FGR, I reckon CityAndColour would have been interested in that radical approach!

Hi Guys,

Started a save with Southend United and I'm currently in my second season.

Just thought I would chip in with a few signings who have been brilliant so far:-

Sergio Araujo - ST - Free - Signed for free on deadline day in season 2 after a full window of chasing. Had to offer pretty much maximum everything, but a hattrick on his debut and 5 against Bolton so far makes me believe he's a real coup. His value currently stands at £4.1 million which, given the fact I'm in League 1 and the rest of the squad is valued under £1 million, means I should turn a tidy profit!

Alexander N'Doumbou - MC/AM RLC - Free - Signed for free in the January transfer window in season 1 and completely transformed my side. Instantly became the highest rated player at the club and even asks for moderate wages £2,500 p/w.

Giuseppe Giovinco - AM RLC/ST Pisa - Free - Didn't think I stood any chance of signing him but surprisingly he was very interested in joining and arrived on a free in season 2, slotting into the AML position superbly. He offers something different and gives me an option from set pieces, having already scored 7 goals with two freekicks and 2 penalties in 13 games so far.

Ronaldo - DM/MC - Free - Was released by Empoli IIRC and managed to snap him up second season. Boasts 20 in Natural Fitness which will prove invaluable throughout the season.

They are the players whom I can recommend to those starting in League 2 and looking for promotion to League 1.

Cheltenham FC

So I last left you an update just a few games in to the season. I had a decent start considering my aim is to avoid relegation with poor finances and not the greatest squad.

Here is how the table looks at the end of December:

SkyBetLeague2_OverviewStages-2_zps555fb2f6.png

So half way through the season and I'm absolutely delighted with my progress. To be just 2 points off the play off spots going in to January is higher than I had planned or imagined. I'm not going to get carried away though, my aim is still just to cement my place in this division this season.

RESULTS

Schedule_SeniorFixtures-3_zpsebbf43c2.png

As you can see I've had some good and some bad results.

My away form has actually been better than my home form.

My last 3 results in the league have been down to the FA Cup replay I played against Scunthorpe. I'm absolutely thrilled that I managed to dump both league 1 sides, Oldham and Scunthorpe out of the Cup, but the 2 games against the latter plus extra time and penalties led to my players really struggling for fitness in those 3 games around Christmas, which is congested as it is! A nice trip up to Burnley in the 3rd round, where we have nothing to lose and money to gain has cheered me up.

I've just accepted a 1 year contract extension with the club. Maybe I could have waited out until later in the season to see if they offered me a longer contract, but I just wanted to accept and carry on with the job. If the second half of the season goes down hill, then I may not have received an offer.

Into 2015 I go!

@C.ronaldo7 - Cheers for them, I'll have a look at them in this transfer window!

Cheltenham FC

@C.ronaldo7 - Cheers for them, I'll have a look at them in this transfer window!

As you're still in the first season, have a look at Ilario Iotti from Ascoli. I had him on loan with 0% wages and no fee and he went on to win League 2 Player of the Year as an IF (A) cutting in from the left. Probably good enough for League 1 but he absolutely dominated League 2.

Hi Guys,

Started a save with Southend United and I'm currently in my second season.

Welcome along, it's good to hear of another different club being managed. It looks like you did some shrewd overseas recruitment for L2, and seems like the club reputation must be quite good to attract them (Exeter doesn't interest anybody from a higher level). Do you still have Daniel Bentley and is he doing well?

@smp: I was looking forward to your update. That's a very decent start to life at Cheltenham, you've done well to be in that position already. Good work in the FA Cup too - although this has affected a few league results, the financial boost should make a difference which in turn might allow some improvements in the squad. What formation are you playing and who have been the top performers so far?

Welcome along, it's good to hear of another different club being managed. It looks like you did some shrewd overseas recruitment for L2, and seems like the club reputation must be quite good to attract them (Exeter doesn't interest anybody from a higher level). Do you still have Daniel Bentley and is he doing well?

@smp: I was looking forward to your update. That's a very decent start to life at Cheltenham, you've done well to be in that position already. Good work in the FA Cup too - although this has affected a few league results, the financial boost should make a difference which in turn might allow some improvements in the squad. What formation are you playing and who have been the top performers so far?

To be fair the majority are either Argentinian or Italian or have played in that league, as my Manager is Argentinian with Italian second nationality so I'm assuming that's had some effect.

I sold Daniel Bentley in the first season as Everton were being persistent, ended up selling him for £1.5million with 25% of his next fee coming to us, whilst bringing in Benjamin Siegrist as his replacement so it wasn't all bad. Winning the Johnston's Paint Trophy and having reasonable cup runs certainly helped the finances anyhow, would never be able to fund my second season transfers without them!

Ah, yes, the nationality would have helped probably. It's a shame to lose Bentley, but a fee like that for a club in L2 is very difficult to resist. Bringing in a replacement for nothing and having those funds at your disposal can really help the club take massive steps forward.

Exeter_Profile_zps4ff196fd.png

1. Performance update

Well, Exeter gave me some enjoyable moments as we completed the first season on an impressive run. After a little dip in form at the start of April, where we lost to Luton and then twice needed a late equaliser to grab even a point in our next two fixtures, I stumbled across a change in formation that propelled us upwards.

The late leveller at 2nd placed Shrewsbury came about after I took the shackles off Matt Grimes, and played him as an attacking midfielder, just behind my lone striker. With two advanced wingers also on the pitch, it was an act of desperation at the end of the match, but it worked and gave me a new idea for the run-in.

With Grimes retained in that advanced midfield role, I dropped both my wingers back (still on the same role and duty, just operating from a deeper position) to make a 4411 formation for every game thereafter. Grimes flourished, adding another goal and a couple of further assists, my two wingers continued to score and create goals, and my poacher also bagged a few more himself. A masterstroke, and impeccably timed, but it was rather fortunate that the idea even came to me.

As you can see, we then embarked on our best run of form all season, winning the next three league games, and after the 45th match, we reached the lofty heights of 7th - our highest placing of the season (as you can see in the performance graph below). Clinging on to that last available play-off spot, we entered Round 46 needing just a point to ensure our season would be extended - but Mansfield, Hartlepool and Newport could all steal it from us if we lost.

On paper we had a fairly easy task, hosting Dagenham & Redbridge, who were below mid-table. But it didn't go to plan, and we trailed to a first half goal until late on. I was forced in to making changes, bringing Arron Davies on to the right wing, and using Alex Nicholls to replace my injured striker, Ross Allen. With time running out, Davies grabbed an 82nd minute equaliser, and even had time to set up Nicholls for a winner that added some gloss to the occasion. Other results were therefore irrelevant, but we had actually done enough to jump in to 6th place, above Plymouth.

We would face Carlisle in the play-offs - but would be unable to field the injured Allen, our top goalscorer and penalty king. In a tight first leg at St James Park it was ironic that it needed a penalty to give us a narrow advantage, but the rapidly-improving David Wheeler smashed home his first spot kick of the season and we looked in good shape ahead of the long trip North to Cumbria.

With Allen fit again, I reinstated him to the team for the second leg, making no other changes. I felt confident we would score at least once, and firmly believed they would struggle to score more than two. That would be enough. I certainly wasn't expecting what happened next though, as we were awful. Carlisle came out strongly, and before the break it was 3-0 to them. We now needed two goals, but try as we might, we didn't even come close to getting one of them.

It was a really disappointing end - not because we had failed to reach Wembley, and not because we had finished 6th, as that was about a dozen places higher than I thought was likely when I took charge. The disappointing part was that we had it in our hands, and put in one of the most inept performances of the season when it mattered. To any neutrals, they would be wondering how we had managed to get that far up the table. For me, it wasn't about remaining a League 2 club. It was because we didn't do ourselves justice on that last day.

After a few days, I could of course reflect on what had been a very impressive season. It's now my job to rally the troops and get them to perform consistently well next season. I'm not sure what the board will expect, or what resources will be available to me, but I'm releasing some of the bigger earners at the end of June. Hopefully we might then have a little bit of freedom to attract some of my preferred players - and make another challenge for the play-offs.

Schedule_SeniorFixtures-24_zps13756114.png

Competitions_Competitions-10_zps4cd3677c.png

SkyBetLeague2_OverviewProfile-3_zps1f042341.png

2. Team update

I'm proud of the team's achievements in season 1. I'm proud that every one of them (and all the staff) have UK & Ireland nationality. I'm also proud that we didn't pay any transfer fees or agent fees. Nobody had left the club all season, either on loan or permanently, so I really feel I made the most of the players at my disposal. Further to that, we hadn't relied too heavily on loan players (using just 2.5 in the entire season).

Tottenham's on-loan teenage goalkeeper Luke McGee had been first choice most of the season between the sticks, but as I was unsure whether we could keep him next season, I opted to give my own young 'keeper an extended run of games as we approached the crucial stages of the season. He didn't let me down, and therefore McGee was unable to win his place back, but hopefully I can have him back again next season. Teenage Walsall winger Kieron Morris was a revelation on the left wing, and despite several lengthy injury absences, he still maintained a position as the top assist maker in League 2. That was an impressive feat, considering the number of appearances he was able to make, but the bad news is that Walsall acted to give him a new contract until 2017. I planned to grab him on a free transfer at the end of the season, but I will have to hope they allow me to take him on loan again instead. The third on-loan teenager Kyle Dempsey would, I am sure, have turned in to a valuable player too. But with limited opportunities available to him, I decided it was best to let him head back early to Carlisle.

The free transfer recruits had contributed to varying levels really. Ross Allen (Guernsey) was top scorer, and finished the season brightly for a player who never featured above Isthmian League level before. Anthony Stewart was without a club when I approached him, and became a mainstay in the centre of our defence. Andy Robinson was also without a club when I took him on, but made some useful contributions in central midfield despite a few injury setbacks. Winger Billy Bodin had been unattached for many months due to injury when I signed him, but due to the form of my other wingers, he struggled to get many chances to impress. I've given him an extended contract anyway, as he should be a useful squad player to have around. The last signing was on 1st January, when Northampton striker Alex Nicholls joined at the end of his contract. He was also injured when he joined us, and only had limited pitch time, but he should be another useful squad player next season.

Of the original cast, I mentioned earlier that young Christy Pym had made a good case for being the chosen 'keeper ahead of next season. My captain Scot Bennett was an absolute rock at centre back, and he commanded a healthy average rating. He was the only ever-present too, starting all 54 competitive matches we played. Right-back Christian Ribeiro was injured at the start of the season for a few months, and continued to suffer on the fitness front during the rest of the campaign, but he did well enough to earn a new contract. Youngster Jordan Moore-Taylor was given more and more game time, eventually settling in as first choice left-back ahead of the more experienced Craig Woodman. He also played on several occasions in central defence, and I am comfortable with his contributions in both positions. Pat Baldwin rarely featured but for some strange reason was kept on for another year purely to provide some cheap and experienced cover.

Central midfield generally saw Liam Sercombe and Matt Grimes as the pick of the bunch, but Jimmy Keohane was reliable when called upon too. Veteran Matt Oakley was used sparingly, and I am hopeful he may agree to stay on as a coach next season on vastly reduced wages. My wingers had very productive seasons, and David Wheeler is exactly the type of player I want to have at this club. Well regarded when at Staines, he was plucked from there and given a chance in Devon. As you can see, he made a massive contribution with his ability to cause havoc on both flanks, and he finished the season on a blistering run of goal scoring too. Arron Davies surprised me, and really made the most of him opportunities during the various absences of Morris. Due to his age and wage, I am actually unlikely to offer him a new deal, but he certainly enjoyed a very good season. The only 'original' striker worthy of mention really is Tom Nichols, who did OK at times, but was nowhere near as prolific as Allen. Hopefully he can provide good cover again next season though. Ollie Watkins is another youngster who didn't get a look in, but he might get a few cameos next time around.

Leaving the club in June will be Danny Butterfield (age), Aaron Dawson (ability), Connor Riley-Lowe (poor attitude and performances), Jamie Reid (ability), Graham Cummins (wage too high for ability). Probably joining them will be Davies - unless he accepts a massive wage cut - and Oakley, who can only expect to earn 50% of his previous wage, and would only be kept on in a coaching role anyway.

Squad_PlayersPlayers-13_zps7181e368.png

Squad_PlayersPlayers-14_zps89890531.png

Has anyone been Blackburn? If so, how on earth have you been playing Jordan Rhodes? I've tried everything and can't seem to get him scoring and he's been playing terribly so far in my first season. Half tempted to sell him so we get passed FFP to be honest.

Jogo, can you screenshot Ross Allen (when your internet connection allows you to)?

Am interested to see how he is rated given his scoring exploits for Guernsey in real life.

I also took him to Hereford in FM14 and he is rated quite similarly in FM15. The major strength is the finishing stat of course, but with composure, off the ball, determination, stamina and natural fitness attributes all decent too, he makes for an ideal poacher. He may not get the best ratings or look the best player on the pitch, but give him chances and he will finish. For a free transfer (plus clauses) and wages around £200 p/w you can't go far wrong at this level or lower. He's also a very reliable penalty taker.

I'm not really keen on managing the same players over and over again, but as Exeter couldn't attract anyone similar or better, I took the safe option with Ross. I also think he is exactly the kind of player a club like them would sign (ala Wheeler).

The value was hovering around £1k all season, but has suddenly shot up to nearly £10k, which is good. His first contract was £200 or £210 p/w (until 2015), but I gave him an additional year and small weekly increase mid-season. The original clauses are £5k to Guernsey if we get promoted, plus they get 25% of any transfer fee. We also agreed to a friendly match.

I almost ended up working in Guernsey last year, and would have gone to watch them regularly if that had happened. He fell out of love with the game at the end of last season, and was struggling with injury too, but is now back in contention for this season. Last time I checked he was still banging in more than one goal per game - he has a truly amazing record.

This is a screen shot at the end of season 1, the ratings haven't changed much from the start

RossAllen_OverviewAttributes_zps85b2934d.png

@Danm - Going well with Morecambe there, as an interested Liverpool fan, how is Canos performing on loan for you?

He's been good. Not played a huge amount because Williams generally plays AMR, but when he's played he's been excellent. Chipped in a few goals, and always contributed. Not sure I'll keep him after this season, but a good solid Championship winger.

Good luck with that yipster. I almost started a game with Stockport a few weeks back, but took on a similarly difficult challenge here with Exeter.

I've decided to continue certain philosophies that I liked in 2014/2015, as the criteria on all of them has been met 100% since I took charge. So, for pre-season of my second term, my recruitment is still limited to the following:

• Until promotion from League 2, we will sign only players of UK & Ireland nationality
  • Until promotion from League 2, we will pay no transfer or agent fees
  • Until promotion from League 2, we will not pay more than £800 p/w in wages - although the board will now allow me to offer £1900 p/w

With most of my targets unwilling to join on loan or permanently, and most clubs demanding their men play at a higher level than us, these restrictions are really hampering my squad building. I have the targets in mind, but they're not coming through.

Whilst I was debating whether to set in stone these philosophies, I had cost-free loan offers accepted for Jamie Maclaren (Perth Glory) and Jonathan Benteke (Zulte Waregem), but after delaying each of them several times, I cancelled the deals due to the nationality issue.

I'm also very keen to not rely on too many loan players (last season we had 2.5), and so I will try to keep this to no more than three maximum. I have renewed the loan of Walsall winger Kieron Morris for another year as he was superb last season. I could have also kept Luke McGee on a non-contributory loan again, but instead decided to sign another free agent 'keeper to challenge my main man instead. I've also signed another young striker on a free transfer after his contract with his League 2 club expired in the summer.

I've had plenty of loans agreed, and five or six further free transfers ready to complete - but I wasn't convinced they were the right men at the right time, so I haven't actually added anybody else since the above two permanent signings. So far I have played (rather well) three pre-season friendlies, and we are unbeaten without conceding a goal. However, the squad of 20 was reduced to 18 before a ball was kicked, with a couple of injuries, and now we sit here with four more injuries - some of them long-term. So, I think that before my 4th friendly I will need to bring some more men in - a useable squad of 14 isn't going to be large enough :eek:

Exeter_Profile_zps4ff196fd.png

1. Performance update

Well, Exeter gave me some enjoyable moments as we completed the first season on an impressive run. After a little dip in form at the start of April, where we lost to Luton and then twice needed a late equaliser to grab even a point in our next two fixtures, I stumbled across a change in formation that propelled us upwards.

The late leveller at 2nd placed Shrewsbury came about after I took the shackles off Matt Grimes, and played him as an attacking midfielder, just behind my lone striker. With two advanced wingers also on the pitch, it was an act of desperation at the end of the match, but it worked and gave me a new idea for the run-in.

With Grimes retained in that advanced midfield role, I dropped both my wingers back (still on the same role and duty, just operating from a deeper position) to make a 4411 formation for every game thereafter. Grimes flourished, adding another goal and a couple of further assists, my two wingers continued to score and create goals, and my poacher also bagged a few more himself. A masterstroke, and impeccably timed, but it was rather fortunate that the idea even came to me.

As you can see, we then embarked on our best run of form all season, winning the next three league games, and after the 45th match, we reached the lofty heights of 7th - our highest placing of the season (as you can see in the performance graph below). Clinging on to that last available play-off spot, we entered Round 46 needing just a point to ensure our season would be extended - but Mansfield, Hartlepool and Newport could all steal it from us if we lost.

On paper we had a fairly easy task, hosting Dagenham & Redbridge, who were below mid-table. But it didn't go to plan, and we trailed to a first half goal until late on. I was forced in to making changes, bringing Arron Davies on to the right wing, and using Alex Nicholls to replace my injured striker, Ross Allen. With time running out, Davies grabbed an 82nd minute equaliser, and even had time to set up Nicholls for a winner that added some gloss to the occasion. Other results were therefore irrelevant, but we had actually done enough to jump in to 6th place, above Plymouth.

We would face Carlisle in the play-offs - but would be unable to field the injured Allen, our top goalscorer and penalty king. In a tight first leg at St James Park it was ironic that it needed a penalty to give us a narrow advantage, but the rapidly-improving David Wheeler smashed home his first spot kick of the season and we looked in good shape ahead of the long trip North to Cumbria.

With Allen fit again, I reinstated him to the team for the second leg, making no other changes. I felt confident we would score at least once, and firmly believed they would struggle to score more than two. That would be enough. I certainly wasn't expecting what happened next though, as we were awful. Carlisle came out strongly, and before the break it was 3-0 to them. We now needed two goals, but try as we might, we didn't even come close to getting one of them.

It was a really disappointing end - not because we had failed to reach Wembley, and not because we had finished 6th, as that was about a dozen places higher than I thought was likely when I took charge. The disappointing part was that we had it in our hands, and put in one of the most inept performances of the season when it mattered. To any neutrals, they would be wondering how we had managed to get that far up the table. For me, it wasn't about remaining a League 2 club. It was because we didn't do ourselves justice on that last day.

After a few days, I could of course reflect on what had been a very impressive season. It's now my job to rally the troops and get them to perform consistently well next season. I'm not sure what the board will expect, or what resources will be available to me, but I'm releasing some of the bigger earners at the end of June. Hopefully we might then have a little bit of freedom to attract some of my preferred players - and make another challenge for the play-offs.

Schedule_SeniorFixtures-24_zps13756114.png

Competitions_Competitions-10_zps4cd3677c.png

SkyBetLeague2_OverviewProfile-3_zps1f042341.png

2. Team update

I'm proud of the team's achievements in season 1. I'm proud that every one of them (and all the staff) have UK & Ireland nationality. I'm also proud that we didn't pay any transfer fees or agent fees. Nobody had left the club all season, either on loan or permanently, so I really feel I made the most of the players at my disposal. Further to that, we hadn't relied too heavily on loan players (using just 2.5 in the entire season).

Tottenham's on-loan teenage goalkeeper Luke McGee had been first choice most of the season between the sticks, but as I was unsure whether we could keep him next season, I opted to give my own young 'keeper an extended run of games as we approached the crucial stages of the season. He didn't let me down, and therefore McGee was unable to win his place back, but hopefully I can have him back again next season. Teenage Walsall winger Kieron Morris was a revelation on the left wing, and despite several lengthy injury absences, he still maintained a position as the top assist maker in League 2. That was an impressive feat, considering the number of appearances he was able to make, but the bad news is that Walsall acted to give him a new contract until 2017. I planned to grab him on a free transfer at the end of the season, but I will have to hope they allow me to take him on loan again instead. The third on-loan teenager Kyle Dempsey would, I am sure, have turned in to a valuable player too. But with limited opportunities available to him, I decided it was best to let him head back early to Carlisle.

The free transfer recruits had contributed to varying levels really. Ross Allen (Guernsey) was top scorer, and finished the season brightly for a player who never featured above Isthmian League level before. Anthony Stewart was without a club when I approached him, and became a mainstay in the centre of our defence. Andy Robinson was also without a club when I took him on, but made some useful contributions in central midfield despite a few injury setbacks. Winger Billy Bodin had been unattached for many months due to injury when I signed him, but due to the form of my other wingers, he struggled to get many chances to impress. I've given him an extended contract anyway, as he should be a useful squad player to have around. The last signing was on 1st January, when Northampton striker Alex Nicholls joined at the end of his contract. He was also injured when he joined us, and only had limited pitch time, but he should be another useful squad player next season.

Of the original cast, I mentioned earlier that young Christy Pym had made a good case for being the chosen 'keeper ahead of next season. My captain Scot Bennett was an absolute rock at centre back, and he commanded a healthy average rating. He was the only ever-present too, starting all 54 competitive matches we played. Right-back Christian Ribeiro was injured at the start of the season for a few months, and continued to suffer on the fitness front during the rest of the campaign, but he did well enough to earn a new contract. Youngster Jordan Moore-Taylor was given more and more game time, eventually settling in as first choice left-back ahead of the more experienced Craig Woodman. He also played on several occasions in central defence, and I am comfortable with his contributions in both positions. Pat Baldwin rarely featured but for some strange reason was kept on for another year purely to provide some cheap and experienced cover.

Central midfield generally saw Liam Sercombe and Matt Grimes as the pick of the bunch, but Jimmy Keohane was reliable when called upon too. Veteran Matt Oakley was used sparingly, and I am hopeful he may agree to stay on as a coach next season on vastly reduced wages. My wingers had very productive seasons, and David Wheeler is exactly the type of player I want to have at this club. Well regarded when at Staines, he was plucked from there and given a chance in Devon. As you can see, he made a massive contribution with his ability to cause havoc on both flanks, and he finished the season on a blistering run of goal scoring too. Arron Davies surprised me, and really made the most of him opportunities during the various absences of Morris. Due to his age and wage, I am actually unlikely to offer him a new deal, but he certainly enjoyed a very good season. The only 'original' striker worthy of mention really is Tom Nichols, who did OK at times, but was nowhere near as prolific as Allen. Hopefully he can provide good cover again next season though. Ollie Watkins is another youngster who didn't get a look in, but he might get a few cameos next time around.

Leaving the club in June will be Danny Butterfield (age), Aaron Dawson (ability), Connor Riley-Lowe (poor attitude and performances), Jamie Reid (ability), Graham Cummins (wage too high for ability). Probably joining them will be Davies - unless he accepts a massive wage cut - and Oakley, who can only expect to earn 50% of his previous wage, and would only be kept on in a coaching role anyway.

Squad_PlayersPlayers-13_zps7181e368.png

Squad_PlayersPlayers-14_zps89890531.png

@Jogo - Fair play mate, that is a truly epic update!

Although it must have been so gutting to lose in the semi-finals of the play-off's, just reaching them was a massive achievement :thup:

Out of interest, got relegated from League 2?

Impressive stats on Rene Howe of Newport and I see David Wheeler chipped in nicely with 14 goals for you.

So you say you have planned on who you are letting go, but has anyone come under interest from another club that you didn't plan on selling?

Again great update!

@Jogo - Fair play mate, that is a truly epic update!

Although it must have been so gutting to lose in the semi-finals of the play-off's, just reaching them was a massive achievement :thup:

Out of interest, got relegated from League 2?

Impressive stats on Rene Howe of Newport and I see David Wheeler chipped in nicely with 14 goals for you.

So you say you have planned on who you are letting go, but has anyone come under interest from another club that you didn't plan on selling?

Again great update!

Thanks mate, much appreciated! I guess in a way it was a bit of a disappointment that we didn't play well on the last day, but we really overachieved anyway. I was delighted how we picked up in the last part of the season, as I just wanted to avoid the drop.

Bury surprisingly finished 24th, and Stevenage went down with them! Rene Howe was amazing and won the L2 award for Player of the Season - quite rightly.

No other players of mine attracted an offer, although I saw Spurs were 'interested' in Christy Pym for some strange reason. I did let go all of the players mentioned before, and probably should have included Pat Baldwin and Craig Woodman in that. However, having managed to secure Matt Oakley a new job as defensive coach on his retirement, I might consider trying to keep that pair of veterans on the staff at the end of this season too.

You probably saw I have put some restrictions on myself on new signings, and we suffered a severe amount of injuries in pre-season which is basically a way of telling me not to be so foolish! In any case, I have signed three players on free transfers, one on loan, and one loan extension.

Unfortunately for the last two friendlies we have had no left back as both of mine are injured (we have none in the U21 squad either). I've used right-footed central defenders there in those two games but have one free agent willing to join for a season, or one Premier League U21 player willing to join on a six-month loan. I'm holding that decision just for now as I also currently have an invitation to trial a free agent for two weeks and I'm awaiting his answer.

Funnily enough, the unattached player I was chasing all summer to give cover for both RB/CB positions wouldn't even let me put a contract offer to him. Despite that, he has willingly just joined on a two week trial. I find that a bit odd.

Archived