Sports Interactive Community
Jogo Bonito

FM15 - The Sky Bet Football League thread

Very impressive effort there, finishing 7th was a really good season. Pity about the play off loss, you came very close but no shame in that extra time defeat at all. Good luck for the following season.

I'll pop an update on when I get to January. I think I have at least one new signing lined up for the next window. A winger who can play both flanks, and has been doing quite well this last year in real life. Will cost me in the region of £200k, which is quite a fee for somebody who has spent the last few years in League 2. His identity is something to keep you guessing about until my update - and no it isn't David Wheeler!

Haha, nope. He's better than that :cool:

Good job actually as Marcus Maddison just got injured on Boxing Day and will be out for up to two months :thdn:

I look forward to your update Jogo! My guess would be Watt or Hayhurst, but the fact that it's not Wheeler concerns me ;)

Well i've started the second season pretty well. 11 games in and I'm sitting in 6th place with 19 points, just 3 points off top spot. I can see Swindon and Rochdale being too strong for the division and taking the top 2 spots, but my aim is still to try and make the play-offs :thup:

@smp: Great work mate. Swindon and Rochdale? Ouch. That is tough opposition in League 2, but you're ticking along very nicely there!

Peterborough_%20%20Profile_zpsijvvt4hx.png

Well it's been a while since a proper update and I even had trouble remembering how to post the screenies. Anyway, here we are - my half-term review of season 1 in charge of Peterborough United. So far we have done very well, holding a place at or near the top of the table. We are playing a fairly basic 442, with the focus on attacking play which the club was well known for over many of the recent seasons. Here are the results and scorers so far, plus the progress chart:

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-71_zpsgqddgxcj.png

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-72_zpss1aqwldp.png

Competitions_%20%20Competitions-44_zpsssnjqy2n.png

Having a starting transfer budget of £1m helped, but lots of my serious targets would not even talk to me even though we could afford to bring them in. I also chose to cash in on a few transfer clauses that came my way, and we still have over £800k in the kitty if we can make any worthwhile additions to the squad. The best signing so far was obviously my teenage Latvian striker, Vladislavs Gutkovskis. In League 1 he has 13 goals from 18 appearances, plus a further 4 goals in his 4 appearances in the Cup. The signing of promising young Nigerian striker Mfon Udoh was slightly less spectacular. Unable to get a work permit, my HOYD completed the deal before I could back out - and so far he hasn't been able to play at any level. He must be doing something good on the training pitch though, as his value has already risen to £115k.

Transfers_%20%20Transfer%20History-16_zpstdkeq8o3.png

I ended up going back to Yeovil for the third time after a few journeyman teams (Dumbarton, Villarreal) and I took Yeovil to their 29th title, easily becoming the most successful side in history. Unfortunately, my laptop failed and it's now in for repair, meaning I've lost history :(

Gonna wait for 16 before I inevitably start with them again. Hope you're doing the new thread this year Jogo..

Great post Jogo! Going well there. Gutkovskis looks to be a cracking signing. Are you confident of finishing in the automatic spots?

I'm currently 2 points off the play off spots in 8th. Consistency has been my major problem this season, with injuries constantly to big players like Holmes/Hoskins/Wheeler really hitting me hard. Hopefully I can still sneak in to a play off spot.

MB, incredible how you kept Yeovil going for so long - fair play to you. I'm sure there will be a new thread, whether it is from me or somebody else, time will tell.

smp, I think the auto spots will be tough, but definitely the target. Yes, very happy with my teenage striker - great value for money. Like you at Exeter, I have had some pretty poor injury problems, but we have a fairly deep squad where the squad players are almost reasonable. When a club like yours gets hit, they don't have much to step up to the mark. Going well though mate.

My career save has taken me to Northampton in League Two where we're expected to be lower mid-table. With one game remaining we're in with a chance of going up automatically.

My career save has taken me to Northampton in League Two where we're expected to be lower mid-table. With one game remaining we're in with a chance of going up automatically.

Cobblers! What year are you in? My best mate lives there and a few other friends. Both the football and cricket clubs are in a very sorry financial state but hopefully you're not having to contend with that in your save.

northampton178-34865.png

Northampton Town FC

Sky Bet League Two

2019-2020 Season

Sneak Peak

So, we've somehow managed to get into this position.

Sky%20Bet%20League%202_%20Overview%20Stages_zpsnmbwn1mc.png

We've just played 22nd placed Port Vale who somehow managed to do this.

Northampton%20v%20Port%20Vale_%20Overview%20Overview_zpsxddootcj.png

Guess who we play in our final league game of the season.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures_zpsekvp4gc2.png

Wish me luck!

This is taken from my career save.

Financially we're doing ok tbh. Current Alfreton Chairman, Wayne Bradley is the current chairman having taken over from Cardoza a few years ago. Bradley was also the man who gave me a chance at Alfreton as well.

northampton178-34865.png

Northampton Town FC

Sky Bet League Two

2019-2020 Season

February to May

League Table - Results - Finances - Commercial Summary

Results

After a good end of January I was hoping we could continue our good form into February and for the rest of the season. With no cup games we could just look to try and see if we could secure a play-off place. Our first game of February was against Burton Albion and what a result it was, 4-1. Sam Magri put us infront on 24 minutes before Marcus Harness equalised in the 35th minute for them. A goal either side of half-time from Fraizer Campbell and Jake Clarke-Salter put us in full control before Magri calmly stepped up for his second and our fourth with a 69th minute penalty. Our game against Wycombe was one of real frustration. Despite them taking the lead we found ourselves 4-1 up with half hour to go. Unfortunately Wycombe pulled one back just after we'd scored our fourth. With 15 minutes to go we were still leading 4-2. Matt Smith decided he'd go and grab a late brace to make it 4-4. A win against Crewe followed as Craig Eastmond grabbed himself a brace before two draws against Accrington and Barnet. Late goals again being the theme against Barnet. Our next seven games saw us produce six wins and a draw which included six clean sheets. The draw coming against Southend United who were top so I was happy to take that. The game against Halifax was one where it nearly all fell apart. An even game and neither side could break the deadlock until the 73rd minute when they managed to get infront. A couple of minutes later and we had a goal disallowed for offside which was the correct decision. Thinking we'd lost the game you can imagine my delight when Lawson D'Ath smashes one in from 25 yards which also saw him net the goal of the month for April. From the 21st January until the Halifax game we'd gone sixteen games unbeaten and managed to get ourselves in with a chance of automatic promotion. An away trip to promotion chasing Plymouth was next up and it was a result to forget as they beat us 5-0. My teamtalk didn't work and Cole Stockton was in the form of his life. I thought we'd ruined our chances of automatic promotion but all other sides failed to capitalise. Luckily it was only a small blip as we managed to secure crucial wins against Hartlepool and Newport County to put us within touching distance of League One. The game against Port Vale, had we won would have seen us secure promotion but a last minute goal from them ruined that. It meant that we had to gain a draw against fourth placed Bury in our final league game in order to gain promotion. We were the better side but we just couldn't find a breakthrough and Jason Kennedy decided he'd try and ruin our dream as he scored in the 76th minute to put them ahead. I decided we had to go for it. Luckily we didn't need to go all out for it as Micah Richards, who was having his best game since joining popped up with a 81st minute equaliser as we drew 1-1 and secured second place and promotion from League Two.

*Northampton Town Are Promoted To League One*

Key Players

As with most successful league campaigns you have the squad and they're all key to the success in that particular season. However, for me, I'd like to point out there was a number of players who, had they not stood up and performed we'd have been nowhere near the top of the league. They were;

Alex Pritchard - The winger was a free agent until the end of November and I don't know why. In eighteen league games he managed to score eight goals and managed to provide nine assists. That kind of form was integral to our great run towards the end of the season. He's here until 2021. but I'm looking to extend that further.

Jack Marriott - The former Ipswich youngster is too good for League Two. Good job we'll be plying our trade on League One next season. He's slightly bettered his form from the season before as he's got a few more assists to go along with his fifteen goals at just under one every other game.

Sam Magri - Penalty taker, goal scoring central defender and immense leader. This player came second in our fans player of the season award behind Jake Clarke-Salter. Magri was my preferred centre-half over the season as he was great for us.

Jake Clarke-Salter - The former Chelsea youngster wasn't going to be staying long due to the mentality he had. But as that changed fairly early on during my Northampton career he became crucial to our backline. When one of him or Magri was missing, we looked a little lost. But both are young enough and good enough to make the step up.

Other News

I have been awarded the League Two Manager of the Year Award which means I've won one of these for the second year running. The board agreed to increase the junior coaching budget and we also saw the youth category rating improve. Unfortunately the new youth facilities were cancelled but the stadium was purchased successfully. It does now mean that we have a loan that we've recently had to start paying back. I requested some philosophy talks with the board to remove 'signs young players for first team' and they have agreed to remove it.

The board announced the provisional budgets and I have to say I do like them.

Initial%20Budgets%20for%20the%202020-21%20Season_zpsgb2kvyfo.png

Job Offers

Doncaster%20Rovers%20Job%20Interview%20-%20Rejected_zpsk2hoqzg1.png

Oxford%20United%20Job%20Interview%20-%20Rejected_zpspfzflaod.png

Both interviews have been rejected. Doncaster finished 19th in League Two last season and whilst they're slightly better in terms of reputation, why would I take what I consider to be a step back and miss out on a great chance to build something further at Northampton. Oxford have just been relegated from League One and they're a non-fierce rival of Northampton as well so it makes no sense to go here.

Question

My former assistant at Alfreton, Mark Tyler has me in his favoured personnel list and left Alfreton when I did. He's got Peterborough in his favoured teams list and Northampton happen to be a fierce rival. Could he be refusing to join me due to a dislike for Northampton? It doesn't say in his information screen but he's refused to open talks for a season now. Everyone else who left Alfreton with me has joined.

Nooooooooooo!!

After a 4 day trip to Vancouver Island (Lovely place by the way) I returned to carry on where I left off with my Exeter save, getting ready to tackle my 2nd full season in charge with a squad looking ready to go.

However, after my trip, I seem to have lost all motivation and direction to continue. I hate it when this happens!

I thoroughly enjoyed the save so I've decided to do it all again ans start unemployed, with no quals or experience. Hopefully I can somehow land a League 2 job again.

NF, well done on the promotion and good luck in League 1. Pritchard must be a great asset. Not sure about Tyler, could be a reason though.

RB, Welcome back. Luton start with a transfer clause that can be cashed in to give you over £1m starting budget (on the last official database anyway). I had a go with them and signed lots of the better L1/L2 players but it didn't feel like a 'proper' L2 club. £100k spent on a teenage striker from Skonto in Latvia would go down well at that level, but there are probably other areas of the team that need TLC too.

smp, Shame about that, but glad you enjoyed your trip to Vancouver. Good luck in your new effort - keep us updated.

* I've just completed Season 1 with Peterborough and will do an update soon.

Yeah done well. got promoted in the first season, Siegerist and Gary Gardner on loan from Villa were key players for me, also good players I managed to get on loan were Pierce Sweeney a brilliant defender from Reading, Chelsea lent me 2 promising players in Kimoya and Loftus-Cheek, managed to sign Cole Stockton from Tranmere who scored a few for me, made loads of other signings and freebies but none of them made the mark so got rid of them, spent 3m in first season which is ridiculous for a League 2 team.

Made 750k in player sales selling McCourt and Nathan Doyle, 2nd season signings were mostly loan signings as I got Man Utd as a parent team and got in Varela, Rothwell and Will Keane on loan, also got highly rated keeper Jordan Pickford on loan.

Won the League 2 title in my first season, currently 3rd in League 1 with 11 games gone, finances are rubbish with a projected loss of 2.5m, got to get promoted to Championship I think.

NF

smp, Shame about that, but glad you enjoyed your trip to Vancouver. Good luck in your new effort - keep us updated.

* I've just completed Season 1 with Peterborough and will do an update soon.

Thanks, really is a beautiful part of the world. Banff is next on the list next weekend!

My mate has challenged me to a challenge on the original database with Blackburn as the finances are so poor.

Oh great mate, I'm looking forward to your update :thup:

Peterborough_%20%20Profile_zpsfsmbj8v7.png

I've now completed season 1 with Peterborough United, and I'm pleased to say that the respectable finish demanded by the board was rather easily achieved. From memory, I think we dropped down to 4th on one weekend, but the remainder of our season was spent comfortably in the top three, and usually either top or second. In fairness, we had a cash advantage over all of our rivals, and I spent over £900k in the first season - a considerable sum in League 1. We only recouped a small amount of just over £100k through one solitary sale, so our outlay was around £800k for the season. Having said that, the sale we did make was rather satisfying - Mfon Udoh had been signed in error by my (now former) HOYD for £16k without any chance of a Work Permit, but I managed to get £120k from Tromso in the winter transfer window despite the striker never getting a minute on the pitch in any competitive match. Below are the results and scorers from January onwards, the final league table and performance graph, plus a summary of the transfer business:

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-74_zpshpi20q7b.png

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-75_zps3iz136in.png

Competitions_%20%20Competitions-45_zpsbjhowsmw.png

Transfers_%20%20Transfer%20History-18_zps5ej499yq.png

So, as you can see 'The Posh' won the title on goal difference, but it wasn't really as dramatic as that. We had promotion in the bag with three games to go, and needed just one point from nine on offer to take the title. Unfortunately, we managed to lose all three of those remaining fixtures, and I was disappointed to finish so poorly. However, our goal difference was far superior and that final point had only been needed for 'mathematical certainty'. I'm usually well known for being defensive, so it was probably even a surprise to me that we were the top scorers in League 1. However, I had decided to try and honour the club traditions of exciting football, and it paid off.

Our 442 saw two wingers (usually Jon Taylor and Marcus Maddison) and two strikers (Vladislavs Gutkovskis and Conor Washington) all given attack duties. The central midfield pair (more often than not Jack Payne and Michael Bostwick) had to be more disciplined, but the full-backs (Michael Smith and Luke Byrne) could join in when it was necessary. The central defence was marshalled well, with both of my first choices (Gabriel Zakuani and Jack Baldwin) only missing two out of the 56 games across all competitions. I also believe the £275k fee paid for my first choice 'keeper was good value, as Richard O'Donnell made some great reflex saves and was steady throughout. Other squad players that contributed were Joe Newell (who missed a chunk of the season due to a lengthy injury), Jermaine Anderson and Kgosi Ntlhe. Danny Mayor was usually involved after joining in January, but also suffered an injury.

Zakuani won the fans vote as Player of the Year by a massive margin, and also featured in the League 1 team of the season, alongside Smith, Baldwin, Taylor and Washington. My personal choice would have been Gutkovskis, picked up for £100k from Skonto Riga in his native Latvia. The teenage striker struck 28 goals in total, with his 23 in the league putting him second only to Will Grigg - who hit a fantastic 31 goals for MK Dons. Here are the player stats for all competitions:

Squad_%20Players%20Players-34_zpsvat1pljq.png

Squad_%20Players%20Players-35_zpsiaqm7ly5.png

The board have given me £2.8 million for our return to Championship football, and a wage allowance of £110k p/w means we have a surplus of £40k p/w to allocate on wages and transfer adjustment if needed. I'm going to try and spend no more than £1m after sales, as there are a few players who don't have a future at the club, and a few more who are already targets of better clubs than us.

@Jogo - Impressive update there mate. Washington and Gutkovskis have done wonders for you, be interesting to see if they can keep that up in the Championship. Decent little transfer kitty to play with too, any targets in mind?

I've just started a new save with Portsmouth, after getting bored with my AC Milan save. I've brought in 4 players on loan so far in Benjamin Siegrist, Luke O'Neil, Curtis Obeng and Kwesi Appiah. The League says 4 wins and 1 draw after 5 games. Got knocked out in the Capital One Cup's 2nd Round by Watford, after a small 0-1 defeat at home. Next match is Cheltenham in the JPT tournament.

Really enjoying the save so far.

Well, I'm not sure if anybody else is still playing 'Sky Bet' saves in FM15?

Time beat me as I was about to see how Peterborough did at Championship level, having added a few good signings for it too (Conor Hourihane, Paddy Madden, Craig Alcock, Mark Reynolds, Sol Bamba and a player I've really admired for the last year or so - Jonathan Kodjia). With loanees Aaron Tshibola, Sid Nelson and Takumi Minamino added to that, it would have been a strong squad to control...

Anyway, thanks to all for contributions in the thread during FM15, it was a pleasure to be your host for the year and hear your stories.

Hi Jogo. Im managing the wolves in the championship on FM16. Board had expectations of mid table finish, im currently fifth at mid season so hopefully I can keep it going. Although we have no debt at the moment I see some financial woes in the future due to our hefty wage bill... Hope we can get this thread revived!

Very much looking forward to the FM16 thread! I didn't post in this one as much as I did 14 but with a new laptop now I can be plying FM a lot quicker. Can't wait to see you all back! Jogo, you gonna be doing the new thread?

Just came in here to ask about the new thread too. Seems lazy to ask instead of doing it myself but I don't have too much time myself, the only bit of time I get I want to be playing the game or else I would.

Hi guys. To be honest I was only took over from Plainlayzee who had the idea and created the very first thread in FM13, and Hoarau who made the FM14 one.

I don't mind doing a new thread and could get an opening page up later if that's what is wanted, but you might have to give me some time to keep adding to it and not expect an immediately complete guide. Let me know if that is what is wanted, or if anyone wants to have a go at improving last year's effort that's also cool with me. Unfortunately, I have to do it comprehensively or not at all!

Plainlayzee, if you're lurking, do you want to claim your thread back? :onmehead:

I'm more than happy for you to do it Joga. If you want, like last year I can give you the transfer budgets for the 3 leagues when the editor is available? Not a massive thing I know but it saves you a bit of time.

@Jogo - I don't want to put any pressure on you and I understand you have other priorities, but if you do decide to make one for FM16, i'll be contributing straight away as you gave me so many fun saves on FM15 with your lower league encouragement. :thup:

There's still another week until the full game comes out, so there's no hurry.

Had a look at Yeovil for 16 and they start with 10 injuries, the vast majority being long term :eek:

Just completed my first season with the wolves on FM16. Expected medium prediction: 13th. Board expectation: Mid-Table. RESULT: 2nd place.

Question; when do I receive my winnings for earning 2nd place? It's July 2nd and still haven't received any sort of a payment for promotion..

Any info on your team pete? would love to know, also playing as Wolves, and there isn't a thread for them yet.

Any info on your team pete? would love to know, also playing as Wolves, and there isn't a thread for them yet.

4-2-4 wide with a weird poacher / complete forward partnership up front, attacking wings, DLP & ball winning mid lurking in the middle space, and in the back four I played with supporting wing backs. What really secured my promotion were a few key players:

Signed a 33 year old Algerian left winger named Nadir Belhadj for $400k who had the highest average rating in the championship of 7.60.

Used the loaned-in striker from Cardif, Adam Le Fondre. He made 43 appearances, 34 goals 11 assists 4 PoM. Average rating 7.31

Also having Benik Afobe make 23 appearances scoring 14 goals also helped. But he had intermittent injuries throughout the season. However, with his injuries I was able to give a hot prospect Niall Ennis a lot of match experience.

Niall Ennis made 32 appearances scoring an impressive 11 times, at the ripe age of 16!

In addition to these star strikers, my main right winger, James Henry made 40 appearances but only scored 9 goals. However he was a very consistent with an average rating of 7.39. With him and Nadir Belhadj terrorizing either side of the field we played relentless attacking football.

Now my main goal, like all newly promoted clubs, is to avoid relegation somehow. Welshace, do you happen to know when prize money is awarded to newly promoted teams? I'm waiting for that $130M...

The TV money is awarded throughout the season IIRC..

Really....??? So I have essentially no funds to buy new players with.... Great.

zQasBHT.jpg

OK, looks like I might need to create a new thread for FM16 as nobody has stepped up yet.

Plainlayzee, if you appear then I'd be more than happy to delete whatever I create and allow you to host again!

If no objections (and plenty of interest) I'll start something today or tomorrow - and add to it over the next week or so.

Please do, Jogo :(

I really want to do updates on my Pompey save!