FM15 - The Sky Bet Football League thread

Jogo Bonito

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might start a new save as Plymouth now, can someone do a club thread with Plymouth please if it isn't too much trouble.
I kind of like this place over a specific club thread. especially for L2 and a few L1 clubs as they are all equal. And updates from Jogo helps them all ;)

Plymouth are a great squad to inherit, as you get Tyler Harvey, Curtis Nelson and Ben Purrington to build a side around.

I am looking forward to getting going later on. Don't know too much about Harvey or Purrington yet but will be sure to take a closer look at them. Nelson was a big part of why I chose them.

Thanks Jogo, hopefully it will go well. Luton should be a very enjoyable save for you when you have a go with them!

I am looking forward to getting going later on. Don't know too much about Harvey or Purrington yet but will be sure to take a closer look at them. Nelson was a big part of why I chose them.

Thanks Jogo, hopefully it will go well. Luton should be a very enjoyable save for you when you have a go with them!

I agree with CityAndColour in the main. I think the defensive core of Plymouth is strong with players like Nelson, O'Connor, Purrington and Hartley, plus the two Reid's further forward. I'm pretty sure that Harvey's stats have regressed a bit over the last year or so in line with his faltering progress, but there is some potential to have him developed.

Hopefully one day I'll get time to try Luton. I'm currently thinking of doing more saves for shorter periods in order to try different clubs with different players.

Ronaldo Beckham, good luck if you take on Plymouth too. I'm not sure you'll be finding someone to do a club guide specifically on them - although perhaps Argyle fan Meester Cat might if he finds his way back sometime. I read those L1/L2 club threads if they're created and enjoy them, but it tends to die quite quickly with possibly only one or two people managing teams at this level in any version of FM - that's why Plainlayzee had the original idea of creating these generic threads. Thanks fyrefuze for kind words, although I'm really only like a concierge here, it's you guys that make the thread popular.

Friday 3rd April 2015

Preston North End 3-3 Rochdale

We rescued a late draw in this tough away encounter at Deepdale. Central defender Rhys Bennett opened the scoring, heading home from a free kick. Winger Rueben Noble-Lazarus doubled the lead with another header from inside the 6 yard box. Although the old cliche of ‘being most vulnerable when you’ve just scored’ proved to be true again as Preston pulled one back. Preston equalised just after the hour mark and then took the lead with 10 minutes left on the clock. Joe Bunney proved to be the hero, equalising with a header late on.

Saturday 4th April 2015

Brian Barry-Murphy agreed to sign a new contract. The new deal will see him extend his stay with the club until June 2016. Barry-Murphy previously held a player-coach position but his new role will see him revert to just a coaching role with the club.

Gary Thompson agreed to sign a new contract. The new deal will see him extend his stay with the club until June 2016. Thompson will continue in his role of Under 18’s Physio.

Joel Logan agreed to sign a new contract. The new deal will see him extend his stay with the club until June 2016, with an option for a further year. The 20 year old winger is seen as one for the future and I am hopeful that he can realise his potential at the club.

Sunday 5th April 2015

Andy Thorpe agreed to sign a new contract. The new deal will see him extend his stay with the club until June 2016. Thorpe will continue in his role of Head Physio.

Larry Redmond agreed to sign a new contract. The new deal will see him extend his stay with the club until June 2016. Redmond will continue in his role of Chief Scout.

Tony Ellis agreed to sign a new contract. The new deal will see him extend his stay with the club until June 2016. Ellis will continue in his role of Head of Youth Development.

Richard Ashcroft agreed to sign a new contract. The new deal will see him extend his stay with the club until June 2016. Ashcroft will continue in his role of Under 18’s Manager.

Ryan Ball agreed to sign a new contract. The new deal will see him extend his stay with the club until June 2016. Ball will continue in his role of Under 18’s Goalkeeping Coach.

Monday 6th April 2015

Rochdale 2-0 Port Vale

The game was won as we produced a better finishing product than the opposition. Adil Nabi gave us the lead on the 78th minute with an effort from just outside the area following Long’s cross field pass. Joe Bunney sealed the victory in stoppage time finishing after Henderson had worked space down the left.

Saturday 11th April 2015

Doncaster Rovers 1-0 Rochdale

Doncaster grabbed a deserve win in this top of the table clash. The winner came just after half time.

Tuesday 14th April 2015

Rochdale 2-0 Swindon Town

Quality of possession saw us overcome the league leaders in this game. Joe Bunney stepped up to fill the gap left by Adil Nabi, heading home from close range just before half time. The game was wrapped up when Mohamed Coulibaly’s cross was deflected into his own net by Nathan Thompson. Callum Camps unfortunately twisted his knee and we now be missing for between 3 to 4 weeks.

Saturday 18th April 2015

Gillingham 1-1 Rochdale

This close fought encounter ended all square. David Mooney gave away a penalty, although it looked like a dive, unfortunately Gillingham put the penalty away. David Mooney managed to get a goal back on 37 minutes but the game ended all square.

Saturday 25th April 2015

Rochdale 3-1 MK Dons

A great display gave us a memorable victory over the Franchise. MK Dons took the lead on 10 minutes. David Mooney grabbed the equaliser on 26 minutes. Mooney grabbed his second of the game on 71 minutes to hand us the lead. Joe Bunney sealed the victory 5 minutes later.

Josh Lillis and David Mooney were selected in the League One Team of the Week.

ROCHDALE SECURE PLAY-OFF SPOT

Season Goalscorer’s: League/Cup

Adil Nabi - 21/5

Ian Henderson - 10/2

Joe Bunney - 9/3

Calvin Andrew - 3/3

Mohamed Coulibaly - 4/1

Peter Vincenti - 5/0

Febian Brandy - 5/0

Jamie Allen - 1/2

Callum Camps - 3/0

Ashley Eastham - 1/1

Daryl Horgan - 2/1

Scott Tanser - 3/0

Stephen Dawson - 3/0

Rhys Bennett - 2/1

David Mooney - 3/0

Tom Kennedy - 1/0

Lloyd Jones - 1/0

Rueben Noble-Lazarus - 1/0

Transfer In:

Adrian Howe - Adrian has been brought in as the new under 18’s assistant manager. Adrian had better qualities than the previous staff member and so it was an easy decision to make.

Transfer Out:

Chris Brown - See Adrian Howe.

Billy Hasler-Cregg - Hasler-Cregg agreed to extend his loan deal at Guiseley until the end of the season. The young midfielder isn’t required in the first team at Rochdale but has the potential to develop into a leading League One player.

End of Month Round-Up - April 2015

A good month saw us seal our playoff place and with one game remaining we are still in second place with a tough away game to Barnsley up to end the season. David Mooney has impressed with his first 3 goals for the club with him and Bunney combining to help fill the gap left by the injured Nabi.

Sky Bet League One - 2nd (Playoffs)

Capital One Cup - Lost in Second Round (v Reading)

FA Cup - Lost in Second Round (v Colchester)

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy - Lost in North Semi Final (v Sheffield United)

Plymouth Argyle Season 2014/15

eknamq.jpg2uqop02.jpg

Transfers

ju8y10.png

Out -

Luke McCormick - No words needed.

In -

Schwan Jalal - Obviously needed a keeper to be my new number one and Jalal was easily the best available to me. Has plenty of experience in the football league, especially from his spell at Bournemouth and he should be a very safe pair of hands.

Alex Kiwomya - There is only one thing to this guys game and that is pace! 19 pace will scare any defender in this league. Pace was needed and he brings plenty of it. Unfortunately I have not been able to unleash him yet as he picked up an injury but he is close to a return and I look forward to seeing what he can do.

George Green - Despite not being very strong at all, I feel he will fit right into a 3 man central midfield very well. Easily the best technical player in the league. Hopefully the likes of Lee Cox and Anthony O'Connor can protect his lack of physical prowess whilst he picks teams apart with his ability on the ball.

Michael Hoganson - A left back with plenty of potential and is good enough to compete now for a starting place with Purrington

Tariq Fosu - Another loan, but I needed some wingers and he is a very talented one.

Fixtures so far

23v106b.png

A perfect start in the league. An away win at newly promoted Cambridge was a solid start. Reuben Reid put away a very cool finish. A very young inexperienced side went out of the Carling Cup away to Millwall. A 3-0 defeat at the Den, can live with it as the Carling Cup is at the bottom of this seasons priorities. We then smashed Exeter 5-0 in the first home game of the season. Maybe they culd have done with Jogo in charge. Two goals for the impressive George Green, a debut goal for Fosu and two more goal for Reuben Reid. Unfortunately this is the last we will see of Reid for 4 months. A pulled hamstring ruined his chance of a hat trick and any football for a long while. A blow after he made such a strong start. We then beat Stevenage 2-0, Green from the spot and Alessandra covering for Reid made a good impression. We finished the month off with back to back 1-0 wins. Bury and Southend were on the receiving end. An own goal from Plummer vs Bury and another Alessandra goal got us those wins.

Table

sg3152.png

Chuffed to bits with the start. As was pointed out when choosing Plymouth, a very strong defence has been the real reason for the great start. No goals conceded so far in 5 wins. Can not argue.

Great going Gunner - Best of luck in the final game. Fingers crossed

Gunner: Great update as always but you really can't leave it like that with just one game to go!! A very decent month though and you must surely secure that automatic promotion spot? You probably already have and are just teasing your audience...

sammo: Wow, what a start at Home Park! Look at those pics you put up too...everything is so green :cool:. Those poor little lambs at Exeter, you're right - there is no way on earth I'd have let that happen. It's a pity to lose Reuben Reid for such a long time after a really bright start - but on the positive side, that's faultless defensive work (and I'm so pleased about that first sale you made). If you need a striker, I'd highly recommend a loan swoop for Dominic Samuel of Reading by the way - has a promising future if he maintains his focus and application.

Ronaldo: I remember Magri from my time at Portsmouth in FM13 (I took him back on a free). I hope he does well for you as you're very enthusiastic about that one. Harbin is a very capable member of staff, and quite a few others (six or more) have strong Plymouth connections so I'd keep most of them myself. Your new Pilgrim friend can help you out on those things probably, you two should share ideas and thoughts.

Thanks Jogo and Gunner.

Samuel is a good shout but I think I've been beaten to him. After that start I have gone on to lose my next two games. One of them at Luton ... 4-1 ... Maybe I should have gone with them ;)

I was going to mention how contrasting your league form was to your pre-season, it looks like it took you a while to get things going. Despite that hiding, you stay away from Luton Town :lol:

Started a new game with gillingham today. Currently sitting 3rd in league one after 30 games with the first transfer window turned off so only a few loan signings added to the squad. Zemali Ismail and mcfazdean at sheff Utd. Internets down so no pics but I'm using a 451 formation

Without revealing what happened the top 6 were separated by 1 point per position. It might be good news, it might be bad news but ultimately we did better than our mid table prediction and so I can be pleased no matter what happened..

Sammo: Good start at Plymouth, looks like you've made some good signings there too! George Green was class for me when I had him on loan at Notts County for 2 seasons - as you can see here. I tried to get him again on loan this season for the Championship, but Everton wanted him to play with higher quality players unfortunately.

I also signed Hoganson and he's proved a solid back-up left back for me, so should do well for you in League Two.

Quick update from life at Notts County in the Championship:

bQSb2y3.png

We finally had our first win in 14 games, beating top of the league QPR away from home, 1-2. I'd been tweaking my tactics slightly to try and make us harder to beat, so we're playing narrower, more disciplined and exploiting the flanks on the counter. So far so good really (last 2 games)

iKKtV9u.png

Avoiding the drop is still the goal for this season. Up the Magpies! :thup:

Gizmo: Well done on breaking that winless streak - it must have been really tough to take some of those results. You're still more than capable of achieving your goals, and hopefully the new tactic will take you onwards and upwards.

Gunner: Tight indeed. Look forward to your diary update soon.

Mr.Delph: Gillingham is a very good choice, a team I quite fancy managing again myself (had a good run with them on FM13). 3rd after 30 games is very good, although the media prediction seems way too low for them. I'd imagine McDonald/Marquis combine quite well in attack, and probably Egan is reliable in defence?

Good luck with your objectives Gizmo! Sad to see Rochdale struggling at the bottom! :(

Thanks Gunner! Yeah newly promoted Rochdale seem to be struggling with life in the Championship - fortunately for me ;)

Gizmo: Well done on breaking that winless streak - it must have been really tough to take some of those results. You're still more than capable of achieving your goals, and hopefully the new tactic will take you onwards and upwards.

It was the 4-0 spanking away at Wigan that got me thinking right, enough is enough! In the next game against Stoke we looked good but Begovic had a great game and just kept saving everything, so we lost that 1-2. The Cardiff game we looked solid and then the QPR game we finally managed to come away with all 3 points - long overdue :)

What a season! Finished 6th on the last game of the season with a last minute winner by Marquis taking us into the play offs. I'm not totally convinced we will perform in the play offs. From Feb to March we didn't win in 6 games suffering 5 defeats. They have offered me a contract a few times but I don't want to renew just yet as I'm not sure I will continue with them if no funds are made available...

2015-03-27_00001_zpsfbhgbuft.jpg

Squad stats overall. Our LB Martin supplied us with 13 goals. Goals seem to come from all over with our highest scorer with 10. Macdonald lost his way after getting injured for 3 months and I used Norris more than most tbh.

2015-03-27_00003_zpshxreqkhc.jpg

Lee and Junior came just because I wasn't totally happy with my central midfielders but they wasn't that good to be fair.. Neill brought much needed versatility covering LB as well. The two wingers really made us tick in Ismail and Mcfadzean.

2015-03-27_00002_zpsxqzsegm9.jpg

@Gunner - Yeah Ehmer and Egan have been solid for us. Generally we have bee hard to beat. Conceding 2 goals from corners all season and scoring 8. We had the 6th best defence in the league which I was surprised about considering my players really. Midfield is awful. None have tackling above 10-12 iirc.

Anyway... the pictures. Unbelievable. Going into the first game we got whipped 2-0 and I thought it was all over until Ismail scored in the dying moments to put us 4-1 up in the second leg sending our 10 men to Wembley!

2015-03-27_00005_zps0dahgyq5.jpg

2015-03-27_00004_zpss6wttfvu.jpg

And we did it.. without Egan, Mcfadzean and another player whose name escapes me, the one who got sent off in the semi final. Crazy really. Predicted to finish 22nd at the start of the season and we've won promotion! Not sure if I will continue with Gillingham as the squad is pathetic to be fair! I'm not up for a season of losing if there are no funds available.

2015-03-27_00006_zps6hjqbf39.jpg

Some good transfer clauses as Plymouth manager, you get about 1m in transfer fees, you got to wait a few monthes to activate the one for Gallagher though.

Transfers wise I signed a lot of decent freebies like Magri, Frank Simek, Hoganson, Angbon, Ross Jenkins and Smith Tiesse, also signed Kyle Da Silva, Kwesi Appiah, Daniel Alfeil, Jorge Grant and Luke O'Neil on loan.

Doing ok in the league so far, played 5, won 3 and lost 2, 9 points so far, the Reid brothers dominating the league with Reuben being top scorer with 7 goals, Reuben with highest average rating with 8.32, Curtis Nelson with 2nd best average rating in the league with 7.90, Bobby Reid with most assists with 4 assists so far.

After bigging up Magri he hasn't started yet as he can't get ahead of Nelson and O'Connor.

I'm still in first with Blackburn and just secured promotion playoff. The economy is still bleeding red, but it's at least a bit better since the sale of Gestede.

I just knocked out Tottenham (!) in the FA Cup 5th round replay, and the very next day I had a real nice regen come through my own ranks. This will likely be my lifeline as the finances don't look much better in the near future.

Rhodes scored the last goal in the 88th minute, might have woken up my neighbours when that happened. Eriksen was the one to miss in the shoot-out.

Rhodes has scored 53 goals in 43 matches all in all this season so far. Never had a striker like him before I think.

rKnwM9A.png

v2CSzRx.png

rxt70UA.png

cheeky :D

Those who got away

1. Youri Tielemans

2. Siebe Schrijvers

My scouts from Belgium and Europe have constantly filed good reports about them and they were always the prime targets once I make room in my squad. Finally Athletic bid for Hervias and I made a subsequent bid for Tielemans to replace him. release clause 13.5M. To my surprise 12 other clubs (european giants) met that offer in various clauses and future payments. He finally chose Man Utd who had offered lowest upfront. For Schrijvers it was other way round, he had 10.75M release clause which Man Utd triggered first and I followed but again lost the signature even after offering better wages. Really gutted to loose two excellent players available in the market for that cheap.

Tranfers In/Out

A lot of activity then took place on deadline day with bit players going(forced) on loan in search of first team football and Alex Telles and Mayke coming in as solid additions. I already had decent cover in both positions and their arrival could mean bad spell for Bob Harris and Kyle Naughton. But I didn't wanted to wait on till summer and loose my prime targets again. Mayke though a natural RB can fill in for MR as well, void left by Hervias.

Transfers_Jan 2017_zpsmr1xvmwq.png

Lucky for Harris though Garbutt has hernia and out for 2 months and he is sure to catch some action in this thick run of fixtures.

Well form wise it has been fantastic start to 2017 here at SUFC and I am loving this save more than ever. We just lost one game and been lucky against Blackburn, relatively easy run then onwards. Poor Granda though couldn't put up a decent effort.

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]Fixtures[/TD]

[TD]PL Standings[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fixtures Jan-Feb 2016_zpskafpxll1.png[/TD]

[TD]PL_Standings_Feb16_zpsb7xtpihx.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

sitting pretty in CL places with 3 games in hand.

Great update Jogo. Similar first season for us both. Interesting that you got good stuff out of Symington, Brough and Wyke. I just didn't deem them good enough and had to let them go especially when they started kicking up a fuss. Can't wait to hear how you get on in your second season. It's good to see that you've managed to get rid of some of the dead woo and have started to build your own young squad.

I've started my second season well. Play Off places at Xmas. I've chop and changed formations which isn't ideal but I'm currently using a 3-4-3 formation. Adam Dugdale, Kyle Da Silva, Adil Chihi and John Marquis have all joined permanently. Marcus Maddison, Frank Betra, Dominic Gape and my best player this season Jake Taylor (Reading) have joined on loan. Kyle Dempsey has also been superb. I'm looking for better wingbacks either side at the moment and if we can find them then I'm confident we can get up.

Saturday 2nd May 2015

Barnsley 1-1 Rochdale

A potential serious injury to central defender Lloyd Jones overshadowed the last game of the standard league season. Barnsley looked to have won the game having took the lead on the 73rd minute before Joe Bunney equalised on the 82nd minute. Unfortunately due to other results it meant we dropped down to 3rd in the league and having to settle for the playoffs. Lloyd Jones suffered a torn hamstring and will miss the playoffs.

The Top Six:

Fleetwood Town - 79 Pts

Swindon Town - 78 Pts

——————————————————————

Rochdale - 77 Pts

Bristol City - 76 Pts

Doncaster Rovers - 75 Pts

Oldham Athletic - 74 Pts

Sunday 10th May 2015

Oldham Athletic 1-0 Rochdale

The first leg of the playoff semi-final ended in a narrow defeat away to Oldham. The winner coming inside the first 15 minutes.

Friday 15th May 2015

Rochdale 2-0 Oldham Athletic

A second leg come back saw us defeat Oldham in the League One Play Off Semi Final. Ian Henderson gave us the perfect start with a goal on 2 minutes but that would be the end of the scoring in the game as the tie went all the way to penalties. A penalty win saw us advance to the League One Play-Off Final where Bristol City await.

Sunday 25th May 2015

Bristol City 2-1 Rochdale

Possibly the toughest opponent that we could have faced awaited us in the League One Play-Off Final. Adil Nabi, returning from injury gave us the lead on 24 minutes, latching onto a long ball and firing past the Bristol City goalkeeper. The lead didn’t last long and Kieran Agard equalised. As the clock ticked down, Kieran Agard snatched a goal from inside the box and broke Rochdale hearts.

Season Goalscorer’s: League/Cup

Adil Nabi - 22/5

Joe Bunney - 10/3

Ian Henderson - 10/2

Calvin Andrew - 3/3

Peter Vincenti - 5/0

Mohamed Coulibaly - 4/1

Febian Brandy - 5/0

Jamie Allen - 1/2

Callum Camps - 3/0

Daryl Horgan - 2/1

Scott Tanser - 3/0

Stephen Dawson - 3/0

Rhys Bennett - 2/1

David Mooney - 3/0

Ashley Eastham - 1/1

Tom Kennedy - 1/0

Lloyd Jones - 1/0

Rueben Noble-Lazarus - 1/0

End of Season Summary - 2014/2015

League One Top Goalscorer Award - Adil Nabi (3rd)

So as the team leave the club to go off and enjoy their summer holiday’s I’m left to reflect on what might have been. We exceeded expectations and so I am pleased but it’s so disappointing when you get so close only to see it snatched away from you with 5 minutes of a game remaining. But to quote a famous movie line.. I’LL BE BACK!

Great update Jogo. Similar first season for us both. Interesting that you got good stuff out of Symington, Brough and Wyke. I just didn't deem them good enough and had to let them go especially when they started kicking up a fuss. Can't wait to hear how you get on in your second season. It's good to see that you've managed to get rid of some of the dead woo and have started to build your own young squad.

I've started my second season well. Play Off places at Xmas. I've chop and changed formations which isn't ideal but I'm currently using a 3-4-3 formation. Adam Dugdale, Kyle Da Silva, Adil Chihi and John Marquis have all joined permanently. Marcus Maddison, Frank Betra, Dominic Gape and my best player this season Jake Taylor (Reading) have joined on loan. Kyle Dempsey has also been superb. I'm looking for better wingbacks either side at the moment and if we can find them then I'm confident we can get up.

Cheers. I'm only stuck with a few unwanted players now: Kearns (wages way too high for ability), Sweeney (on loan to Forest Green Rovers, 50% wage paid), Amoo (I don't use wingers and I'm blessed with better strikers) and Griffith (nobody will take him). I'm lucky that the 532/352 WB formation is still working well, so no need to change at all. I also think I was lucky that Symington & Brough were allowed to flourish because of that formation. Wyke and Beck were both transfer listed all season, but did well enough and I'm now happy to keep them whilst in League 2. We still have too many 'bits and pieces' players like Gillies, Rigg and Jarrett Rivers who don't really fit my formation, but I try to give them minutes here and there to keep them slightly involved as they're exactly the kind of squad members I need in reserve.

I really like Franck Betra, and have been trying to grab him myself but to no avail. He's highly rated at Sheff Wed and I had to mention him in their club profile on page 1 when I saw his attributes! Marquis and Maddison are good attacking options, and Luton will be hating you if you signed Kyle Da Silva on a free from Chelsea! It was interesting to see you mention Jake Taylor (as a Reading fan, I have to say he is infuriatingly anonymous in most games he plays). Dempsey, for me, has not yet hit the heights I expect of him - but has plenty of time on his side to do it. You're doing well in the second season, I think play-offs are a realistic aim for the 2015/2016 campaign. Did you have massive financial losses in season 1 too? My second season started off in a much better state financially, but I noticed the regular monthly losses have started to return now. Normal home attendances seem to be about 5,000 which is a sign that things are getting better on that front.

* Nice to see all the other updates (Gillingham, Blackburn, Plymouth, Sheff Utd and of course Rochdale). Very unlucky Gunner in the Wembley final, but as you say, it was a very impressive season and I'm sure you will go well again in your second season.

Good updates lads.

I got given a £2m transfer budget and £66k per week wage budget on promotion. A lot of players wouldn't join me so I was forced into signing anyone who would to be honest. Not sure I'll continue with the Gills as I originally wanted to leave as soon as I got some kind of success to a bigger club. I was also just playing around with tactics so will probably start a new save today with a team I want to spend a fair few seasons with... any ideas guys?

Good updates lads.

I got given a £2m transfer budget and £66k per week wage budget on promotion. A lot of players wouldn't join me so I was forced into signing anyone who would to be honest. Not sure I'll continue with the Gills as I originally wanted to leave as soon as I got some kind of success to a bigger club. I was also just playing around with tactics so will probably start a new save today with a team I want to spend a fair few seasons with... any ideas guys?

That's a good budget for them, but it can be a problem when you go up and can't attract the players you want. If you don't like the feel of those you signed, I can understand wanting to stop and try again. What league and level of challenge are you after? That will help people give some suggestions :)

That's a good budget for them, but it can be a problem when you go up and can't attract the players you want. If you don't like the feel of those you signed, I can understand wanting to stop and try again. What league and level of challenge are you after? That will help people give some suggestions :)

Really not sure :p I haven't managed in L2 before. Done L1 twice with Sheff Utd and Gills. I like the Championship but not sure on the team to be..

Funnily enough Everton were relegated on my Gills save. They thrashed me 4-1 first game of the season. Lukaku, Baines, Mirralles, Howard, Jagielka all playing :(

Good man. How have you been backed by the board for the next year? Likely to be doing much in/out or mainly keeping the faith?

I've just received the new budgets for 2015/2016. Currently I've been given £45k p/w wage budget, an increase of around £9k p/w I believe from last season! And a transfer budget of £313k so there is the money available should I require it. I need to take a complete evaluation of the squad though and determine which players should stick around for the new season.

Just signed a new assistant manager by the looks of things..

1zxqwid.jpg

@ Mr.Delph: Blimey, that Everton side will walk the league!

Obviously this was why I update the guide, but League 2 sides to consider could be Luton/Plymouth (big cash clauses available to both, and fan bases to help you progress), Portsmouth (Wallace and Tubbs plus a rep and backing that will take you on successive promotions), Bury (strong squad and great if you like Man City loanees), AFC Wimbledon (re-create their history, get loads of the old Crazy gang on your staff, but be prepared for a long slog and you will at some point need a new stadium), Burton/Newport (little clubs who you can build if you have patience), Wycombe (can definitely do better than predicted with that squad, you do have Fred on loan, but you won't have any youth system or any cash to splash unless you get lucky with some clauses). I'm not going to suggest the other team I have in mind for myself (apart from Luton) :lol:

Championship suggestions I struggle with. One season and you're probably in the Premier League. I like loads of clubs in the second tier but never play there, as my aim is to enjoy playing in the Football Leagues, not having a Sky Bet team (any of the 72) in the Premier League. If you prefer having a team from the 72 in the top flight, I'd take Derby, Forest, Watford, Boro, Norwich, Fulham or possibly Bournemouth/Wolves. If you fancy one that might take more than a year, I'd look at Bolton, Reading, Brentford, Sheff Wed or Leeds.

@Gunner: Reasonable budgets I guess. Loving that pic and liking the new Assistant Manager, what the hell is that though?

Yeah it's not too bad! In discussions with the current set of loanees (Long, Jones, Couibaly, Keane and Nabi) and hopefully I can keep some, if not all of them either on loan again or permanently.

Haha that's my little bearded dragon. She's actually quite interested in the noises from the matches and so she'll happily sit and watch.

Cheers. I'm only stuck with a few unwanted players now: Kearns (wages way too high for ability), Sweeney (on loan to Forest Green Rovers, 50% wage paid), Amoo (I don't use wingers and I'm blessed with better strikers) and Griffith (nobody will take him). I'm lucky that the 532/352 WB formation is still working well, so no need to change at all. I also think I was lucky that Symington & Brough were allowed to flourish because of that formation. Wyke and Beck were both transfer listed all season, but did well enough and I'm now happy to keep them whilst in League 2. We still have too many 'bits and pieces' players like Gillies, Rigg and Jarrett Rivers who don't really fit my formation, but I try to give them minutes here and there to keep them slightly involved as they're exactly the kind of squad members I need in reserve.

I really like Franck Betra, and have been trying to grab him myself but to no avail. He's highly rated at Sheff Wed and I had to mention him in their club profile on page 1 when I saw his attributes! Marquis and Maddison are good attacking options, and Luton will be hating you if you signed Kyle Da Silva on a free from Chelsea! It was interesting to see you mention Jake Taylor (as a Reading fan, I have to say he is infuriatingly anonymous in most games he plays). Dempsey, for me, has not yet hit the heights I expect of him - but has plenty of time on his side to do it. You're doing well in the second season, I think play-offs are a realistic aim for the 2015/2016 campaign. Did you have massive financial losses in season 1 too? My second season started off in a much better state financially, but I noticed the regular monthly losses have started to return now. Normal home attendances seem to be about 5,000 which is a sign that things are getting better on that front.

Luckily managed to get rid of Kearns myself but still have Sweeney and Dicker knocking about in the reserves. Griffin still does a job for me as an anchor man if needed. Betra joined Newcastle in the first season so as my parent club I managed to get him on loan. He did well at the end of the first season for me and I managed to extend it to a second season but he has spent the majority of it injured annoyingly. I'm hoping he can fire me up in the run in when fit. I think you are thinking of Jay Da Silva? Kyle came from Palace. Taylor plays well just behind the strikers. 9 goals this season so far and that's a couple behind Dempsey who is my top scorer. I play him as a defensive forward. Yeah big losses in the first season and like you the second season started off much better but I'm losing about 60/70k a month now.

@Gunner: A dragon, my word. It's a funny looking thing, but I wouldn't say it to her face - even though I assume she doesn't breathe fire?

@Gash: I stupidly turned down a free transfer offer for Kearns, and now can't give him away. You're right, I'm thinking of Jay Dasilva - Luton fans will be happy to learn of my mistake! Good returns from Taylor and Dempsey - but just wait until you get Betra fit again. Goals galore, I would imagine!!

Carlisle_%20%20Profile_zpsb49g7sjw.png

A little bit of an update to life at Carlisle in my second season. Picking up from post #1365, we got off to a good start in League 2 with a fairly comfortable victory at newly-promoted Gateshead. Away wins were rare last season so I was/am well aware I need to do better on the road this time. We got a bit of luck with a very late equaliser at Accrington, but we have picked up a couple more league wins on our travels already, and I feel we're doing alright on that front now. As had been the case in my first year, the home form has been great again. In fact, the Brunton Park faithful had only seen us drop points in a surprising defeat against York until we hosted AFC Wimbledon in our last home match. It did take a late leveller to grab a point from The Wombles, but we're quite consistent on our own patch and I'd expect that to continue.

Our Cup form has been very pleasing so far. We emerged from testing Capital One Cup fixtures at Huddersfield and Newcastle victorious on penalties, having battled really hard on both occasions to earn credible 0-0 draws at much bigger clubs. Our reward was an even tougher draw though, at Chelsea! The score doesn't reflect it, but we fought really well again and held out for 43 minutes. A penalty not long after the break killed any slim chance we had, and two late goals made it look even worse. Our JPT campaign has also gone quite well, with impressive wins over Morecambe (away) and at home to League 2 leaders Shrewsbury. Next up in that competition we host Fleetwood, whilst we have a home tie in the FA Cup 1st Round against Chesterfield coming soon.

The 23-man squad has been coping well with a packed fixture list, although I've lost both Scott Fenwick and Charlie Wyke to injury on two separate occasions now. That pair are currently out, as is David Symington (who is a long-term absentee) - unfortunately that trio have only been able to play just over 600 minutes each, so far this season. Mark Beck continues to lead the way with goals, whilst Gabriel Almeida is providing more and more assists this term. At the back, Josh Lelan is as reliable as ever - and I'm proud of our defensive record.

There hasn't been anything interesting on the transfer front since the middle of July, although we did manage to loan Antony Sweeney to Forest Green Rovers (50% wages paid) and just recently I allowed Jarrett Rivers to have a month of first team football with Harrogate. As the performance graph show, we've been stably placed in the top six so far, with a highest position of 2nd. I'm really optimistic about a top three slot, but at the very least we should be in the play-off mix at the end.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-56_zps10ditbfz.png

Competitions_%20%20Competitions-32_zpsy2zescwj.png

Haha no, she doesn't breathe fire, she just eats crickets and runs around like an headless chicken!

Good start to the new season Jogo! Glad to see Almeida is continuing his development this season. What was the board expectation last season?

Haha no, she doesn't breathe fire, she just eats crickets and runs around like an headless chicken!

Good start to the new season Jogo! Glad to see Almeida is continuing his development this season. What was the board expectation last season?

We could do with one of those in Africa. It would have a much more diverse diet too :lol:

Last season the board wanted 'above mid table' so this year there is a bit more pressure on us. Almeida is coming along nicely, yes.

We could do with one of those in Africa. It would have a much more diverse diet too :lol:

Last season the board wanted 'above mid table' so this year there is a bit more pressure on us. Almeida is coming along nicely, yes.

I'm sure they originate from Australia but could be wrong. She's a very funny lizard and extremely friendly too so its nice to have her around.

I fear the board expectations are going to increase for me too after last seasons mid table expectation was smashed. 5 signings agreed already and its only 5th June!

A quick Plymouth update, currently top of the league after 30 games played, 17 won, 7 draws and 6 losses, Reuben Reid still top goalscorer with 28 league goals so far in 27 games, he is currently 2nd in the league for best average rating with 7.53, top of the average ratings in the league is Mr.Plymouth Curtis Nelson who has an 8.00 average rating, Bobby Reid and Lewis Alessandra has the best assist record in the league with 10 each, going well so far, finances are doing ok as well with the transfer clauses and the successful fan days I have had, the last fan day got me 10,000 fans in the ground.

Sunday 31st May 2015

Following a meeting with the board, the initial budgets for the 2015/2016 season were set at:

Wage budget = £45k p/w

Transfer budget = £313k

These values may be changed later on the agreement of the objectives for the season but it gives me a good chance to build on last seasons squad, especially since I feel that we slipped up due to a lack of depth in certain positions.

Thursday 25th June 2015

Rochdale’s Fans’ Player of the Year was awarded to central defender Rhys Bennett. Adil Nabi and Jamie Allen were the two other contenders. Bennett played in 47 games across the season contribution 3 goals and 2 assists with an average rating of 7.13.

The board announced that a new partnership had been agreed with Premier League side Leicester City. The link means that Leicester can send players on loan to Rochdale. Rochdale will also host an annual friendly. I had no input in this deal but it’s not a bad one considering Leicester’s category 2 youth set up which should see them produce some decent prospects. It will also mean that we receive an annual fee of £45k.

Tuesday 7th July 2015

Scott Tanser agreed to sign a new deal with the club. The deal will keep him at the club until 2018 with the option of a further year. The Rochdale fans are delighted to see the left back sign a new contract with the club after he had a good season last year and also the fact that the player has the potential to go on and be a good Sky Bet Championship left back.

David Mooney joined Scott Tanser in agreeing a new contract with the club. The new deal will see him stay at the club until 2017 with the option of a further year. The Rochdale fans are delighted to see the striker sign a new contract as he’s one of the clubs best players.

A job offer for Bradford City came through but as I didn’t see this as a step up I decided not to attend the interview. Despite previous successes and their recent cup exploits in real life I just didn’t feel a pull to the club.

Pre-Season Fixtures:

Rochdale Town 1-6 Rochdale

Stockport Sports 0-4 Rochdale

Duns 0-5 Rochdale

Rochdale 4-0 New Brighton

Rochdale 1-1 Valenciennes FC

Stalybridge Celtic 1-2 Rochdale

Rochdale 1-0 Leicester City

Pre-Season Stats: Goals

Adil Nabi - 5

Matthew Lund - 3

Rhys Bennett - 2

Febian Brandy - 2

Mohamed Coulibaly - 1

Ian Henderson - 1

Ashley Eastham - 1

Jamie Allen - 1

Joel Logan - 1

Stephen Dawson - 1

Nyal Bell - 1

Joe Bunney - 1

Daryl Horgan - 1

David Mooney - 1

Transfer In:

Mohamed Coulibaly - Signed on a free transfer following a loan spell from Bournemouth.

The right midfielder offers consistency and adds a bit of pace down the wing. His performances produced 4 goals and 9 assists last season with an average rating of 7.06.

Sean Long - Loan extension until the end of the season from Reading.

The full back offers good stamina which enables him to get up and down the pitch. Long played 34 times last season, providing 8 assists with an average rating of 6.84. Long has the potential to develop into a decent Premiership right back in the future and I’m hopeful he can continue to improve throughout the season.

Keith Keane - Signed on a free transfer following a loan spell from Preston North End.

The only defensive midfielder in the squad agreed to join from fellow League One side PNE on a free transfer. Keane offers good tackling ability and good marking in the midfielder area. Keane played in 20 games for the club last season, providing 1 assist with an average rating of 6.98.

Adil Nabi - Loan extension until the end of the season from West Bromwich Albion.

The striker is back for another season at Spotland following a great season last time out. His overall speed makes him difficult to handle for any defence. The 21 year old provided 22 goals and 5 assists last season with an average rating of 7.15.

Lloyd Jones - Loan extension until the end of the season from Liverpool.

The central defender, currently out for another 2 months following the injury sustained at the end of last season offers a good aerial ability at the back and the potential to develop into a good Premier League centre back in the future. He played 33 games last season, scoring 1 goal with an average rating of 6.82.

Reece Burke - Season long loan from West Ham United.

The 18 year old promising centre back has joined on loan for the season without any wage contribution. Having already played for West Ham in the Premier League and with strong marking capabilities I’m hopeful he will be a good addition to the squad this season

Jerome Sinclair - Season long loan from Liverpool

The 18 year old striker has joined on a season long loan without any wage contribution from Liverpool. Having already appeared for the Liverpool first team and with great pace he will be a threat for any defence.

Kyle Letheren - £55k from Dundee

A new goalkeeper was a key aim for me in this transfer window and Letheren was available at a cut price following Dundee’s relegation.

Transfer Out:

Calvin Andrew - Gillingham for £20k.

Calvin Andrew was a fringe player and so I took the money offered by Gillingham.

Andy Cannon - Forest Green Rovers for 6 months.

Andy Cannon has rejoined Forest Green on loan for 6 months. Forest Green have recently been made a feeder club and Cannon is the first person to make the move.

Staff In:

Ryan Semple - Scout

Patrick Agyemang - Under 18’s Coach

Paul White - Under 18’s Fitness Coach

Paul Butler - Scout

Carl Fletcher - Coach

Roman Dubov - Coach

Keigan Parker - Scout

A great undefeated pre-season is now complete and we have not lost any of last season’s squad that performed so well. The fact we managed to keep all 5 of last seasons loanees (2 permanently) was good news along with the extra additions of Burke, Sinclair and Letheren. The aim this season is to make the play offs however I wouldn’t mind trying to avoid those this time round following last seasons heartbreak.

Archived