Sports Interactive Community
stephensmedley

Renewing contracts with no budget left?

I don't know if this is a bug or just something that was supposed to be implemented, but my club has a negative remaining wage budget. Now to rectify this I've got rid of some dead weight, still negative.

So my next step is to try to renegotiate terms with existing high paid players.

Someone being paid 20k a week try and offer terms of 15k, board won't allow it, the highest I can pay someone that I am already tied into a contract with is 140 p/w.

Surely the board can see they already sanction 20k p/w for him anyway.

They allowed a £20K pw wage when you were in a better financial position, until you rectify the financial problems by selling or releasing more players the board will correctly hammer down what you can offer to a player, new or current.

I noticed this in my current save with Bolton. I have a lot of players whose contracts will expire in the summer, and I cannot negotiate, even to try to get a reduced deal. In a way I guess this is the board telling me that they do not care if we lose a player on a free, because we get him off the wage budget and that is what matters the most to them. To the point that they want him completely off the books, not signed for less money.

Makes sense, this is often why clubs that are relegated sell or release their top earners. Why would they want to agree to paying for another year or two on thewir contract if they are struggling to pay them in the first place?

I noticed this in my current save with Bolton. I have a lot of players whose contracts will expire in the summer, and I cannot negotiate, even to try to get a reduced deal. In a way I guess this is the board telling me that they do not care if we lose a player on a free, because we get him off the wage budget and that is what matters the most to them. To the point that they want him completely off the books, not signed for less money.

I'm a Bolton fan and naturally play as Bolton 90% of the time. It's tough at Bolton because we have players on very large wages. The older players I'd get rid of but the younger ones negotiate in September just after the transfer window closes.

You only get 10% of any fee received too. Meaning the best way to improve the budget is by letting the likes of Beckford and Lee go, just to free up lots of room to switch wage budget into decent transfer budget so you can then invest it in upcoming youth.

Keep us informed on how you do buddy :)

Well I'm glad I'm not the only person playing at Bolton with this problem!

I get it that they want to lower it, but if i can take 5k off 5 players we'd be fine? That's what I don't understand