Sports Interactive Community
avillafan.com

Picking the right tactic

I was wondering how people define what tactic to chose when they approach any new team?

On older versions it was easier to have your favourite formation and get players used to playing it but on FM15 i am finding it very hard.

I have had a few mess about saves with various sides and weather they are a top side like Man United, a mid-table side like Villa, a championship side like Leeds or even Walsall in League 2 no matter what i try nothing seems to come off.

I have even read on various forums about what tactics work best when they are said team but for me it just isnt happening!

how long have these mess about games lasted for if its just a few games then im not surprised you havnt seen things working.

my current Hoffenheim game at the start i was all over the place we would concede very sloppy goals but come february its like watching a whole different team they press the ball exactly how i wanted them to at start of the season and exploit runs made from deep midfielders which they just wasnt doing in some of my early games.

i generally pick my tactic based on the best 4-5 players already at the team/ones i know i will have no problem bringing in. i can then look to get the best out of them while leaving rest of my team to create a more supporting role whether its defending or helping with our attacks. if i have tall physical strikers and wingers with good crossing i will look to exploit the flanks and get crosses in for tall strikers to beat defenders to etc.

its a matter of looking at a mixture of your best players and making most of your best team attributes for example only bayern have a quicker team then my hoffenheim and so i know i should be able to play quick football into space as my players can beat the opposition to the ball.

For me this time around it has been a breeze.

I struggled especially in 14 to the point of getting bored. But this year... first time I overachieve in my first season in my first save.

I started with my favored 4231, but since I had many strikers and few central midfielders, and my talented AMCs can play wide switched to a defensive/counter 442 8 games into the season (I added the tactic 2 weeks before starting using it fearing injuries to my midfielders). 15 games, 23 points, 6th position with Newcastle.

Downside: as usually in my first season I get hammered by every big team, and the team is not yet playing the way I really want, but we are getting there.

What I'm finding frustrating is transfers. Nobody wants to leave my team :(

For me, I like to find a tactic/formation I love and building a team around it, rather than taking a team and building a formation around them. This way, when I scout as well as train youth, a train them for a very specific role, as well as I don't waste my time on guys who don't fit those roles and positions.