Sports Interactive Community
Fra

Can you be bad at Football Manager?

I was wondering if anyone has had a long career in Football Manager where they never got anywhere or won anything

We all have bad runs, or bad seasons, but has anyone had a career of say ten seasons or more where they win nothing, get relegated, sacked repeatedly etc.

I don't want to shame anyone, it just seems to me that the longer the career goes on the easier the game gets. I was wondering whether I'm just lucky/amazing at the game or if champions league glory is inevitable if you play a career long enough.

Cheers

Im bad at parts of the game as tactics, or when i pick a logic choice for me in team talk and get everybody against me, still in the end i usually win a title or Three.

Yeah I make loads of mistakes, but I always seem to end up winning leagues and cups in the end. Maybe I'll start a game and try and be terrible and see what happens.

I had a 25 season save with weston super mare and won absolutely nothing..enjoyed it immensely but probably a complete fail to most people.

the longer it goes the more often you outclass the AI in transfers, obviously the human gonna be making better bargins and transfers in general, it just adds up to a point where your team will become the strongest eventually, therefore game gets easier from season to season

its usually impossible to get a mediocore team in any league and win the league within the first 2-3 years, after that the transfered regens kick in and a couple cup runs get you some money and everything is easy going after that

I had a 25 season save with weston super mare and won absolutely nothing..enjoyed it immensely but probably a complete fail to most people.

Epic my friend. That's not a fail in my book. The Pier burning on the other had.....Mwhahahah.

I'm pretty crap tbh. I've won some trophies playing as Man United but anyone could achieve that eventually. Whenever I've started in the lower leagues I've always ended up sacked. I remember a few years ago I started with Wolves and finished 8th in the premier league in my first season, I was proud of that. I've also managed England and won the European championship, but I think that was mostly due to luck

I'm not the best at Football Manager and I'm not that successful either. I've been playing since 2007 iirc and I've won the Championship on FM10 with Scunthorpe. Won League Two with Notts County. I don't think I've ever won a trophy with Forest. Won a few trophies with Droylsden on FM10 and my most successful save would have to be on FM13 where I've won about 40 trophies over two managers. I'm managing in Indonesia. I still have the save.

Hmm interesting. I feel like once I get a bit of success it snowball's and I end up dominating unrealistically. Maybe I'm just an evil genius.

Yup, that is why I took up editing instead.

I have no idea about how to play football, I don't understand it beyond putting a ball in a net.

My last big save with FM14 i was extremely poor for the first six years, had two great seasons then the next twenty were a mix of good, bad and the very ugly. It was only the last 7 or 8 seasons that i actually started to win things but in 19 PL seasons with Cambridge (having taken 22 years to get from the Conference to the PL) i won just 2 titles (both in the last 4 seasons). Won the FA Cup twice, both in the last four years, didn't win the League Cup but did win Europa League followed by 3 Champions League in a row before retiring.

So eventually i had great success but overall i under achieved, was disappointing and was close to the sack for most of the first seven seasons.

Sixth year with Queens Park and all I've won is promotion to the SPFL1, followed the very next year by relegation back to the SPFL2.

As they say, its not whether you win or lose, it the taking part that counts. :lol:

I can definitely be bad, while i've won premier leagues and the odd league cup with chelsea who bought me in because they were struggling but still it is easy, and have won the first, second and third division a fair few times, i have yet to take an average team to greatness. The closest i have come was on fm 14 with my derby team who finished second got to an fa cup semi and lost in the europa league quarter final, but given a year or two i would have won the league. i can also have bad patches where nothing seems to quite click. At the moment i am york city, top of the league but on a bad run and my insurmountable lead at the top has almost withered away entirely.

Yeah I've had some band ones too, but I think eventually I always get there. On my Fm14 save I got the Swindon job after getting sacked 6 months into my Sheffield Wed job on my first season. I had to save them from relegation from league one. It's now 2028, and I just won the quadruple with Swindon, but I don't think I had any tactically genius ideas or done anything amazing. Just replaced my weakest players with better ones season after season. Maybe that's the trick.

I'm Sunderland.

So yes, it is possible to be bad at this game!

At least you scored one :)

It is possible not to win at this game but i find normally after the players get used to your tactics and you learn when to tweak them you end up winning all the time and it gets boring and have to start again.

Like many posters here, I've never had any 'success'. In about 15 years of playing CM/FM I've never got above League 2 in England. I play as a lower league manager. With no money and crap facilities, it's easy to be rubbish!

I'm actually quite content being average at the game. I don't like to make smaller teams too powerful.. As a Crewe fan, I can never envisage them in the PL so if I take over as them, my target will be to make them a decent Championship side.

I find satisfaction in getting teams to the Premiership, making them stable and then moving on. I had a 10 year save on FM14 in which I won nothing. Promotions gained were via playoffs or finishing second - but I really enjoyed it.

I've got my eyes on a small club to big club challenge for FM15, but I won't be disappointed if that fades away and I try something else.

I'm two and a half seasons in with Oxford City.

Season 1 - Lost play off semi final (Conference North)

Season 2 - Lost play off semi final (Conference South - same club, regional reshuffle)

Season 3 - Lost my first two games, have a worse squad than last season.

Shaping up to be thoroughly unspectacular so far, but really enjoying it!

The majority of bad managers on FM don't play for 20 seasons - they get sacked inside 3 months, start again and get sacked again, start again, etc, etc, making the same mistakes over and again.

Then they complain that the game is cheating them because they are great at the game so it can't possibly be their fault.

Last year's game was my most successful since 2001/02, due to winning two League Cups with Hibs on FMC. Also won a couple of lower leagues with Stirling Albion, the Dutch 2nd Division with Fortuna Sittard, and the Conference South with Bath.

I hardly ever go a top league side, prefer to try and build a smaller club up, but always seem to either lose interest in the save, or move onto another one before I achieve any great success.

My Dunkirk in Football Manager however, is playoffs. I simply cannot win them. In last year's game on the Dafuge challenge, I endured eight seasons in the Conference North with Droylsden, failing in the playoffs four times. And it's not got any better on this one. On my one an only save on the main game so far, spent two seasons at Middlesbrough. Lost to Derby in the playoff final the first season, and Palace in the playoff semis the 2nd season. I'm at Coventry now in season 3 and have them top of League 1 through about 20 games. I know I'll need to win the league to go up though, because reaching the playoffs is as much use as finishing 7th.

Yesterday, I asked myself the same question. Interesting to read of people who rarely win anything and the attempts to explain it. Keep on posting. This is one of the most honest threads here.

I'm pretty crap tbh. I've won some trophies playing as Man United but anyone could achieve that eventually.
Except ManUtd managers :p

I tend to do OK but I've noticed that other players who do videos for example seem to be able/happy to put in the time to set up dedicated scouting set-ups and spend ages training up young players with move training, tutoring, player specific stuff designed to maximise them in certain positions where I like the idea of just picking a tactic and signing "good" players. I tend to get carried away with finding a player with lots of double figures ratings than actually searching for the key attributes I need for my tactics. I think you get out of FM15 what you put into it and more so as the game increases in depth.

One of the best and most honest threads on here - brilliant read and reassuring to know that not every forum member is superior in their FM skills !!!

As for me, FM14 was a nightmare for me - a whole year and the bets it got was taking Esbjerg out the Danish 2nd tier and Hearts similarly out of the Scottish 2nd tier - the season after I had got them relegated in the latter case ! I played a lot of 14, got sacked a few times, walked a few times before the axe fell etc. In previous versions I've had mixed success - some versions it all clicked and I was unbeatable, but most of them a mixture of the good and the bad. 14 was my ugly !

Thrilled that 15 is now here so I can hopefully escape my 14 hoodoo...

My carreers vary a lot.

My main goal in most FM's is to get the Scottish teams doing well.

Which just seems to get harder and harder with each FM, not that its the games fault, its Scottish football itself to blame.

Generally I will play a Scottish team for a few seasons get them as good as I can then leave for another Scottish team. Sometimes win the league with them and managed to win the Champions League a few times as well. Other times I am just crap and get sacked :)

My best to date in all the recent FM's would be getting Elgin City into the top division.

I've always done pretty well in FM's until this one. It may only be a few days old but I'm struggling to get any tactics working, they may as well incorporate shouts of "do the exact opposite of what I tell you" and "play like a bunch of tits?

I must say I've had mediocre success on FM14 in the beginning when I was good on FM10 and 12 (skipped 11 and 13), but I guess like someone has mentioned above, its all about tactics and making better signings than the AI. When I knew I was turd of FM14, i could spend a whole day on the tactics forum and eventually caving in and right before me installing FM15 next week (I got finals this week, priorities), I just won the Champions League with Southampton on my 8th season, albeit by two own goals from Real Madrid in a 2-0 win.

Anybody could be bad at FM, but determination, perseverance, and luck should improve you.

I don't know how people take some tiny team to being champions league winners in 6 seasons! I don't think I'd enjoy that to be honest. I'm entirely average at fm but that's the fun for me. I've had some successful saves and some terrible ones!

I generally have 3 saves on FM. I start with someone easy (usually Celtic) and play to get used to the new interface etc. Once I'm bored of dominating Scotland and failing in Europe (basically immediate!) I start my second. Usually this is a Super League or something different from the editors hideaway, and play until the inevitable flaws in the file become obvious (never seen one of these have long-term stability.

My main save is with Bromley. Starting at the lowest level of England, I play until there is utterly no challenge in winning everything. This usually takes around 5 months real time, over 1,000 hours in-game and a lot of seasons. In old FMs it was generally 10-15 seasons, more recently 15-20 or even 25, and FM14 was the first version I can say I never won anything big (one FA Cup in over 30 years, only one Champions League appearance after finishing 4th).

I'm hoping after 30 seasons of FM15, once FM16 is out that I'm not even in the Premier, that would be a great save for me.

I suck as a manager. That's half the fun of it for me- it makes for great moments and stories

The other half of the fun is customising games- I probably spend longer doing that than actually playing.

I'm a spectacularly unsuccessful manager, rarely won a thing in over 20 years of playing.

I echo that statement. Made a few finals but never won a thing since the original game ? but enjoyed it immensely

Usually I'm one of those annoying people who races through the Divisions however, last season I was about average and hence like so many other players didn't like the game. Yes I know but that's human nature.

This season's game however, I am back to my old self. Not sure what has changed. I use a simple 4231 deep which is very possession orientated. Instead of just buying the best players around I am this year going to try to develop the occasional youth. I may well write about my exploits in the careers section. I'm quite lucky in that my laptop is top of the range and I can easily run every league. I find it so much more enjoyable when you can play anywhere in the world.

The question is which club do I try to take to greatness?

I'm two and a half seasons in with Oxford City.

Season 1 - Lost play off semi final (Conference North)

Season 2 - Lost play off semi final (Conference South - same club, regional reshuffle)

Season 3 - Lost my first two games, have a worse squad than last season.

Shaping up to be thoroughly unspectacular so far, but really enjoying it!

Hey, I'm managing Oxford City too :) I'm finding it a fun club to manage.

I'm in my seventh season and it's been a time of a few great highs, more awful lows, all mixed in with seemingly endless periods of mediocrity.

Somehow I managed to reach the Conference North playoff final in my first season, but lost badly to what was admittedly a far superior team. Still, 3rd in the league was far better than I could have expected. Second season (like you, in the Conference South) I managed to win the league ... on goal difference ... ! We were doing really well then totally bottled it towards the end of the season and got lucky having had a big 6-2 win early in the season saving our skin.

So, third season came, now in the Conference Premier. It was the big time now! Our target was to not get relegated.

Our target was not met ...

We were awful. All season. Just painful. Finished rock bottom of the league. Somehow I managed to convince my key players not to hand in transfer requests, and even more remarkably, the board kept me gainfully employed.

Season four, we were storming the Conference South. After all, we had Conference Premier experience. We were men in a league of boys! We were 18 consecutive games unbeaten at one point. We were unstoppable!

Yes, you guessed it, we bottled it again. But, like before, we somehow managed to scrape together enough points to keep our heads above water and we were back in the Conference Premier as champions (if you can describe a team clinging on for dear life as 'champions').

Seasons five and six were essentially two years when any club who was higher than about 15th in the league was strange and unfamiliar to me, given how intimately familiar I became with the relegation zone and those glorious, coveted places just above it. I'd have sold my soul to be in 20th. Both times we were saved by late-season surges where just a few wins managed to save us in what is a very tight league.

This season, season seven, is shaping up far better. We're currently 25 games down (with a game in hand) and are sitting pretty in 9th. Apparently, this makes me untouchable according to the board, though I'm expecting us to go on a losing streak any time soon. We'll see.

Though, results on the field are not the half of my tale of mediocrity. Describing the financial state of the club as 'bad' would be an understatement. The board kept chucking more cash into the bottomless pit but eventually got sick of it when we were about £750,000 in the red and the club was worth the princely sum of £0.

We got taken over (and I didn't get sacked, remarkably). So everything is ok now: the chairman cleared the debt ... with a £750,000 bank loan that we have to pay back at the cost of about £3,000 a month for the next 25 years. What could possibly go wrong with that!

Unsurprisingly, we have the lowest wage budget in the league (and it gets lower every year!) and our gate receipts are pitiful (at least our fans are able to find a seat).

I'm hoping SI add a 'Sell Kidney' button so I can get a little more transfer revenue.

But, you know what, despite all that, despite all the pitiful performances, despite all the times when playing the game felt little better than repeatedly smacking my head against a brick wall, despite it all; I wouldn't change a thing.

It is hard to consistently useless.

I normally start with a team that has been promoted to the lowest league possible, sometimes I get relegated in one or two years and its game over, start again. The times when that doesn't happen I've clearely managed to get some players and tactics that work a bit. To be really bad I would have to fail every time and frankly most people would give up if they finished last in the league and relegated 10 times in a row.

For anyone who was here last year, it's fair to say this is not a thread for SKELETOR.

I used to enjoy much success but the conversion of sliders to shouts and the adding of TI & PI in recent versions has set me back. The last 2/3 versions I've started multiple saves and failed on FM14 at probably 100+ saves ( I used to start spend 2/3 hours retting up back room staff, training, tactics etc and lose the first game and rage quit, stupid I know).

So rather than literally waste weeks of my year this time round I've promised myself only one save and that will be a career. I've begun at Sheffield utd and just recently got promoted via the play offs to the championship, I have a five year plan (1 year in) to get them stable in the premier league so that they can hold their own (maybe win a cup or get them into Europe and play that season) I think at that time I'll know its time to leave, takeover a bigger premierleague team I.e one of the top six currently and win the league/champions league with them. Once I've done this I'm going to test my skills abroad managing in holland, Portugal, Italy, Germany and Spain (in that order) and win titles in those countries. Once I've done that I'm going to come back to England and take my team York City from wherever they are to the premier league....I'm predicting around 20 seasons before I'm at York City..... Here we go!!!

I'm great at Football Manager.

My players, on the other hand, are a bunch of useless layabouts.

I can safely say I've never won a title or a cup. Been playing FM since FM05, although I skipped FM14 due to work and family commitments.

I reckon I'm the worst FM player there has ever been - but I'm proud of that achievement. If you're gonna be bad you might as well be spectacularly bad :D