Sports Interactive Community
joeyd233

[FM15] Need help getting to to play how I want.

I m playing as Newcastle and I want to play counter attacking style and I have done quite well so far 3rd in January but I'm on a bad run and change is needed and I want to play counter attacking style. Would be great if I could get some advice, thanks in advance. Sorry about the lack of screenshots I am currently on mobile.

Current formation with roles:

442 Diamond Narrow

Defensive

Very Structured

GK

RB/LB(WB/S)

CB/CB(CD/D)

DM(Half Back)

MCR(Box To Box)

MCL(Roaming Playmaker)

AMC(AP/S)

STCL(AF)

STCR(DLF/S)

Current Instructions: More Direct Passing

Pass into Space

Run At Defense

Much Deeper Defensive Line

Exploit The Middle

Stay On Feet

Consider changing your best passing CB to BPD-D. He'll make mistakes but you want to play on the counter so it'll suit if he can play more direct passes. I think I'd play a WB-A on the same side you're playing your BPD-D, because he'll get further forward, hopefully receive a pass from your BPD-D and then dribble down the wing and cross. Would also be good if your DLF-S is on the same side as this is happening (so play him on the left if your BPD-D and WB-A are on the same and vice versa). I'd also play a holding CM on the same side - DLP-S would be good instead of roaming playmaker.

Also consider changing your DLF-S to a DF-S to get him helping out in defense more. I'd also think about playing an AM-S instead of AP-S.

Your TIs are very important though. Post them. Maybe some are counter-intuitive. More direct passing should definitely be on. Also play narrower & exploit the flanks.

i suggest going to counter instead of defensive also if you want a very quick counter attack that aint just a boot up field and hope a striker gets it you may be better off with a less strict team shape. ive seen very fluid tactics still be very structured if setup correctly.

also would be helpful for some more information like how do u actually want to play as all i can gather is you play extremely defensive and just do longballs to your forwards which then run with it if they can. also any information on where you feel your problems lie if its not creating enough then that is kinda understandable as any decent defence will dominate that kind of play 9 out of 10 times.

just my own opinion but ive always felt counter attacking play is decided on how good your wide players are as if your so compact its so easy to defend against since 2 strikers are effectively facing 4 defenders if the opposition is playing a back line of 4.

I think you're playing too deep. Try just playing drop deeper. Stay on feet is good though. Run at defense is usually for pressing tactics. Try playing without it.

I think you're playing too deep. Try just playing drop deeper. Stay on feet is good though. Run at defense is usually for pressing tactics. Try playing without it.
Interesting, I haven't heard that before. What's the reasoning behind that?

Interesting, I haven't heard that before. What's the reasoning behind that?

I'd be interested too, as that's not anything I've heard either.

Run At Defence won't really affect your system and is usually best used when the AI is sitting deep and not really closing you down - as such, it is a very situational TI.

hey joey,

I'm also playing Newcastle, doing pretty well with 442/counter

I wonder... who are you using as wide CMs?

My main reason to switch from 4231 to 442 after the season started was because I considered I didn't have any depth in midfield (and I failed to sign an adequate midfielder).

In the last couple of games I have been using these defensive TI:

- Stay on feet

- Drop deeper

- Close down more

My idea behind it is to sit a bit deeper, don't over-commit with tackles, but at the same time once the opposition is closer to our goal we want to start closing them down. After adding "Close down more" I have the impression the team defends better, they are not so passive as they used to be. Also both my strikers have "close down more" and "tackle harder" PIs to make build up a bit harder for my opposition.

But I'm a bit skeptical about using narrow formations for counter attacking play (in this case you have 4 midfielders that usually are "slow" but reasonably good at passing close to each other).

I have been experimenting with this too. I play a Fluid, Attacking 4-2-3-1 assymetric formation.

More Direct

Work Ball Into Box

Drop Deeper

GK

DL: Wing back auto

DR: Wing back auto

DC: Central defender DEFEND

DC: Central Defender DEFEND

DMCL: Deep Lying Playmaker DEFEND

CMRC: Box-to-box

AML: Raumdeuter

AMLC: Advanced playmaker support

AMR: Advanced playmaker Attack (apparently)...I thought I had set him to Winger attack, but the Adv. Playmaker att. seems to Work great in this setup.

STRC: Advanced Forward

Usually my team will soak up pressure which will be broken up mostly by my DM who either passes it short to adv. playmaker support, who usually finds the box-to-box in free space. Now with three players on attack settings in front there will be plenty of options to find someone to finish up the attack, and a lot of times the opposition will not have enough players to cover everyone. The raumdeuter, I think, is the keyplayer. He seems to be able to find free space all the time and is my topscorer netting a few hattricks. Granted, it's only been about 5-6 pre-season games, but I like what i see so far. Need to test it against bigger teams.

4 defenders in line, DMLC, MCR, AML, AMCL, AMR, STCR getting som decent counter attacking moves.

Joey - your team is full of support roles, and generally with very static movement. You have too many players playing tidy passes, but not enough to benefit from them. Your wide men are cautious, but still get forward and offer width. You need at least 1 central midfielder busting a gut to get forward and help, but none of them are. Otherwise your AF is the only bloke actually trying to score goals.