FM15: Tottenham Hotspur - Always Take Lamela With You

enders357

Fourteen games into my second season now and without Europe, things are going very nicely. Just the one defeat - away to Chelsea - and we're top by a point and eight clear of fifth. Real Madrid want Bentaleb, who continues to be amazing, AC Milan want Stambouli, who only plays sporadically when Romero is rested and Man City want Balanta, but they can do one, although Kempf has been a brilliant backup CB and will step up if City offer stupid money for Balanta.

I will resist selling Bentaleb if possible, because he's been so good and to have a home grown wonderkid is so much more satisfying. El-Shaarawy is finally coming good too. I bought him ahead of the first season from Milan but he was distinctly underwhelming, but I've shown some patience and he finally appears to be settling. Soldado still slamming them in and Joe Allen has been far more productive than Dembele, with far more assists and goals. That decision is looking a good one. That's the thing with Dembele - at first glance his attributes are good with great dribbling etc, but as in real life, his vision and finishing are poor so there's often no end product.

Holtby is getting pissed off at getting little playing time so I might have to let him go, which would be a shame because with CL likely next season, I'll need players like him. Just need him to be patient.

How much did you pay for Joe Allen? What position and duties etc are you playing him?

Dembele's vision is only 7, right? Just not good enough, is it? A real shame. Iremember seeing him interviewed and he said he never - like, never - watches football matches. It can't help his game intelligence.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much did you pay for Joe Allen? What position and duties etc are you playing him?

Dembele's vision is only 7, right? Just not good enough, is it? A real shame. Iremember seeing him interviewed and he said he never - like, never - watches football matches. It can't help his game intelligence.

From memory (I'm at work) I think I paid 17m for Allen. I'm playing him at CM as an Advanced Playmaker alongside Bentaleb (CM Automatic) and in front of Romero (DM defend). I play Attacking, high tempo, high press, push higher up, work ball into box, play out of defence. That midfield three combine beautifully, with the press often forcing the oppo to clear long, allowing Romero or my CB's to win the ball on the halfway line and move it forwards quickly. Bentaleb breaks into the box and his composure in front of goal has been brilliant. I drop my mentality to control if I'm away to a big team or winning comfortably.

I've scored four goals in four of my last five games and the one I didn't, I beat Man City 3-1 :)

Finally found a tactic that works, what you guys think of this team?

Lloris

Walker

Mussachio

Balanta

Alex sandro

Capoue

Eriksen

Romero

Depay

Lamela

Berahino

Looks good, of course, maybe just a bit lacking in the home-grown department.

Also, without wanting to sound too harsch, but... pretty boring honestly to see yet another team with guys like Balanta in it. Is there a FM player, ever, that didn't sign Balanta for his defence?

It's difficult isn't it? I signed Balanta and Romero simply by scouting and they were obviously great. Then you come on here and see that everyone has them. Across the world, we're all playing FM using a pool of about 20 players! I never search for player recommendations or tactics, because what's the point? It takes the fun and challenge out of the game. I like reading about people's stories, but I try not to be influenced about who to buy, although I have tried to make Harry Kane shine like others have but he's not quite doing it for me.

It's difficult isn't it? I signed Balanta and Romero simply by scouting and they were obviously great. Then you come on here and see that everyone has them. Across the world, we're all playing FM using a pool of about 20 players!

Haha, I know!

I never search for player recommendations or tactics, because what's the point? It takes the fun and challenge out of the game. I like reading about people's stories, but I try not to be influenced about who to buy, although I have tried to make Harry Kane shine like others have but he's not quite doing it for me.

Exactly. Getting tactical advice if you're struggling is one thing, but just downloading super-plug-and-play-tactics? Boring.

Also, I tend to avoid buying the same players with different teams. If I find a cheap world class talent on one save, it's just lazy to keep buying him on all other saves.

agree, i use him as a BWM (s) on the left of a middle 2. Think I have him to close down more. Dont really like him in real life but on my save hes class and 1st team. Got over a 7 av rating for season 1

Isn't close down more a standard setting for bwm's?

I use him as a CM/A or roaming playmaker. He might not have the greatest vision, but he creates havoc by just running at the defence, drifting to the flanks or taking long shots - which often rebounds into easy tap-ins for his teammates.

TOTTENHAM SEASON 2015/2016 Review

So, fresh off the first season where we won the FA Cup and Europa League, but saw Chelsea pip us to the league title (long post about it here), it was time to boost our squad somewhat. Ross Barkley was the first one through the doors. We didn't really need him, but for some reason Everton wanted to get rid, and who am I to deny young, english talent? Nice back up to Eriksen at the very least.

Unfortunately, Everton weren't quite as keen to let Lukaku go, and turned down our repeated offers. Instead, I tried to bring in Chicharito - quick, hard-working, with an eye for goal - but his work permit got turned down. Bummer. Players like Immobile, El Shaarawy, even Max Kruse wanted silly money, so in the end we had to settle on Anderlecht's Mitrovic - the serbian Drogba? - despite me being less than impressed over his mental attributes.

At 36 years old, Abidal was maybe a strange buy, but I wanted someone calm, cool and collected, a been-there-done-that type of guy. Just like Redknapp loved to sign your Parkers and Friedels and Gallaseses, Abidal really fit the bill for me. I even made him vice captain when Lloris was promoted to captain.

Pereyra rounded out our signings. Free from Udinese. More on him later.

No big sales, just freeing up some room on a congested midfield. Shame about Mason and Carroll, but they just weren't cutting it.

http://i.imgur.com/mF3pnBC.jpg

The january window was all about keeping the team together. PSG and Real wanted Lloris while Barca offered some £70m for Lamela. I was never really tempted to sell, and somehow our players didn't go batshit crazy when we turned down the offers.

More interesting in january is that a couple of world class names suddenly weren't unrealistic transfers anymore according to my assistent manager (Steffen Freund says hi, I promoted him back) - players like Varane, Isco, even Pogba. But out of our league financially, of course.

THE CUPS

The season started with double supercups against our dear rivals Chelsea (not only league champions, they won the freaking CL too). We lost at Wembley, but got back at them in Georgia of all places. The league cup was used to try out some kids while our FA Cup tour through the nation ended prematurely in Manchester, a mistake from Vertonghen minutes from replay denied us the chance to defend the cup. Oh well.

http://i.imgur.com/k5PQrdq.jpg

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

We were ranked ninth in Europe with all of the eight better teams qualifying for the CL, so we went into the second pot for the group stage. However, the draw treated us very kindly, with Atletico, PSV and Sparta Prague as opponents. We did our job well enough initially, but had some bad luck in Eindhoven and really messed it up in the last game, which meant we had to face one of the group winners in the knock out phase.

The draw gave us another trip to Madrid, now to meet Real. First game at the Lane however. A simple corner goal from Sergio Ramos meant we faced an uphill battle, but at least Soldado found an equaliser. I expected them to batter us in Madrid, but our guys really rose to the task, not least after Ronaldo got Abidal sent off (who else?). Lamela secured the victory with a stunning free kick.

We did a solid enough job at home against Bayern in the QF, despite Soldado missing a penalty (grrr...), but they were just too strong for us in Munich. Of course, they did get their slice of good fortune too, just check the goal scorers.

http://i.imgur.com/Z7S4fx6.jpg

PREMIER LEAGUE

With no success in the cups this time around, the league turned out to be our only chance of silverware. However, it was a really strange season. Chelsea started brilliantly, just like they'd ended the last season, taking 28 points from their first ten games. We on the other hand conceded some sloppy goals, dropped points we really shouldn't and looked some way off. However, no other team were even close, the title would end up in London again. But where?

Just before Christmas, Chelsea had to jet off to America for the FIFA Club World Cup, only to come home and play the QF and semis of the league cup, which gave us the chance to build some advantage. By turning the many 0-0's of last season into solid victories, we managed to rush into top spot by winter. After 30 games we had 72 points, seven points before Chelsea on 65 - but they had f-i-v-e games to spare! Could they catch up on us? By late april the table read: 1. Spurs 35 82p +52, 2. Chelsea 34 81p +64.

After Chelsea lost at home against the Arse and away to Wolves (Terry own goal for the win!) we would've secured the title away to Swansea in the penultimate game of the season, but despite our best efforts could only muster a 1-1 draw. But it didn't matter, an exhausted Chelsea side couldn't find a way past already relegated Sunderland and that was it. With one game to spare, the title was back were it belongs, some 55 years later. Glory glory, praised be the footballing gods.

http://i.imgur.com/qd9dCWM.jpg

SQUAD STATS

As the league summary above suggests, our players did a pretty handsome job. Lloris ever so steady in goal, with Vertonghen and especially Kaboul in something of a comeback season doing the dirty work in defence. Walker and Rose almost unstoppable at the flanks, when fit. At top, Soldado did his job without much ado, but the real magic came from our deadly argentinian midfield duo of Lamela and Pereyra. With Capoue and Dembele adding bite to the midfield, Lam-Eyra were free to tear up opposition defences all day and all night long. Seeing the spiritual inheritors of Villa and Ardiles was such a joy, I don't really know what could top that (gamewise, that is).

http://i.imgur.com/gQ1xMY4.jpg (GK's + defenders)

http://i.imgur.com/KoblB6B.jpg (Mf + attackers)

THE FUTURE

I really like this squad, how could I not? I don't see the need for major changes. One world class striker and someone who can threaten from the left flank, that's all we need. The only major question - unless Real/Barca/PSG offers silly money for anyone - is wether to give Kaboul a new long term contract, or sign someone younger and better.

However, in FM terms, I've never been the kind of player who stays for decades at a club and wins 45 titles. Once I reach a pre-set goal like winning the league, I'm quite satisfied, and perhaps need some extra type of challenge to keep my interest up. A bit restless, absolutely, there's always other clubs waiting to be rescued/ruined (although there's only one Spurs).

Just for fun, with the season done I resigned to see what Spurs would do. Turns out they went and hired the latest coach to win the Eredivisie - not de Boer, but PSV's Cocu. His first move was to re-purchase Chiriches from Wolfsburg for £20m. Lol.

Then I got the chance to take over England from Hodgson (they lost the Euro finals against Italy on penalties, would you believe it?), but that's another story.

Finally found a tactic that works, what you guys think of this team?

Lloris

Walker

Mussachio

Balanta

Alex sandro

Capoue

Eriksen

Romero

Depay

Lamela

Berahino

Looks strong. Always avoid Mussachio, found he gives away to many fouls and gets booked quite a lot! Also, Stambouli over Capoue every time for me. Wat tactic are you playing though and how u playing them?

I am actually a little torn, I have Lamela and Adama Toure to man the RM in my 4-4-2, and I am totally in awe of Toure, he is just an amazing player. He is out performing Lamela in all areas, but Lamela is our record signing, should I rotate the two of them? or just keep playing Toure?

I am actually a little torn, I have Lamela and Adama Toure to man the RM in my 4-4-2, and I am totally in awe of Toure, he is just an amazing player. He is out performing Lamela in all areas, but Lamela is our record signing, should I rotate the two of them? or just keep playing Toure?

Play the better player (Toure). Lamela isn't your record signing ;-)

Looks strong. Always avoid Mussachio, found he gives away to many fouls and gets booked quite a lot! Also, Stambouli over Capoue every time for me. Wat tactic are you playing though and how u playing them?

Haven't noticed that with mussachio yet, I like Capoue as an anchor man just sits there and does his job nice and simple and play bentaleb when resting.

I'm playing a 4-3-3 tactic really with Eriksen/Romero in front of capoue, control-flexibility, pretty much the same as kubos tactics just with a few suttle tweaks to suit me

Haven't noticed that with mussachio yet, I like Capoue as an anchor man just sits there and does his job nice and simple and play bentaleb when resting.

I'm playing a 4-3-3 tactic really with Eriksen/Romero in front of capoue, control-flexibility, pretty much the same as kubos tactics just with a few suttle tweaks to suit me

Cool, don't lose faith with Stambouli I gave him a chance October time after constantly playing Capoue and he has been there ever since!!!

Season 1:

5th Place + Capital One Cup + Europa League

Key Transfers Out:

Vertonghen - Man Utd - £38.5M + Future clauses - Too good to turn down

Stambouli - Lazio - £9M - Not Required

Key Transfers In:

Markus Henriksen - £6M - Excellent cover in the RPM position

James McCarthy - £14.75M

Balanta - £6.5M - Everybody has him I know, but needed to place Big Jan.

Sone Aluko - £10.5M

Berahino - £9.25M - Bought two strikers as needed more cover for Soldado & Kane

Season 2:

Euro Super cup (lol) + 4th Place

Key Transfers Out:

Markus Henriksen - £14M - Liverpool - Didn't need to sell but a good offer came in, more than double what I paid season 1 and he wasn't going to improve, had a great season with us though.

Chadli - £9.5M - Fiorentina - Couldn't adapt to an Inside Forward role so was surplus to requirements.

Lewis Holtby - £16.5M - Dortmund - Don't use AMC and wasn't too effective as a CM for me.

Lennon - £5M - Burnley - Same as Chadli unfortunately.

Key Transfers In:

Ward-Prowse - £26.5M - Big money but he's been a solid performer who will probably develop on to Captain the side down the line.

Raheem Sterling - £40M - Huge money but easily my best performer (even better than Lamela and Eriksen for me)

Youri Tielemans - £14M - Again, great potential and an excellent rotation option in the RPM role for Eriksen and JWP.

Invested heavily in youth in this season too, including players already starting to make an impact as rotation options.

Season 3:

5 games played, in 3rd with 3-0 home win against Bayern in the Champions League group stages.

Key Transfers Out:

Dembele - £6m - Blackburn - Wish I had sold way earlier for more cash. Little/No impact for me.

Ben Davies - £16.5m - Liverpool - They came knocking, he got unsettled and I had to sell, a shame really as he was a consistently good performer for me.

Etienne Capoue, Soldado & Aluko - About £20M for the lot, no need for them anymore in my side. Freed up a lot of wages and added a decent chunk to my spending money.

Key Transfers In:

Gabriel Barbosa - £27M + A huge £24M 'buy out' from his agent - Big money and a risk in case he doesn't develop as planned. Huge Potential though, my best striker though Kane's current form is giving him a run for his money early on.

Declan John - £9M - Cover for Rose, slightly concerning I couldn't sign a top LB after the sale of Davies. Hopefully these two will carry me through to January.

More youth Investment.

I feel like this is the season things will really click, good start early on, would like to progress relatively far in the Champions League though winning it might be a bit much. Main target is to win the league this year and that's what Mr Levy wants! Some tweaks to my tactics have made me look very strong, hopefully early form can continue through the season....Eriksen, Lamela, Sterling, JWP & Barbosa should be a real force...

Will keep the thread updated with Season 3 progress, if my tactic goes on to really have success I'll probably upload it for anybody interested.

Good work tbtower, getting their slowly but surely!! Almost finished first season now so should be able to provide a decent update later!! Kane is on 39 goals with FA Cup final to go!!!!!!! Has already won golden boot in the prem and EURO cup.

Cheers....I played a bit more and with 3 game splayed in the group stages of the champions league, it's looking like i'll top the group and Bayern may not even qualify!

Very nice return from Kane there, looks like we're all getting pretty decent results out of him, what do you play him as? CF for me.

Cheers....I played a bit more and with 3 game splayed in the group stages of the champions league, it's looking like i'll top the group and Bayern may not even qualify!

Very nice return from Kane there, looks like we're all getting pretty decent results out of him, what do you play him as? CF for me.

I play him as advanced forward mainly in a 4-2-3-1 formation. He would of scored more but had a mini blip which resulted in Alcacar getting some game time and he managed to score quite abit when played towards end of season. Ill do a update in next couple days

showing stats etc.

I stated my Spurs save and I'm not complaining the results.

But I'm having too many injuries! Every week I have new injured players . Most short term, one 3 months.

Do you have the same problem? I changed my training to low intensity now. Hope it helps. Any other suggestion?

No, not any real significant injuries to mention, been pretty fortunate to be honest with them!

Forgot to mention, I have been offered the Man Utd, Man City, Portugal & Holland jobs already, but have naturally turned them down.

Excellent and good choice..... update to come later but just a little preview....... Liverpool offered me £40m for Harry Kane the day after he scored his 40th goal for me.... and Stambouli (I know I've raved about him) is moving to them for £25m after kicking up a stinK!

Excellent and good choice..... update to come later but just a little preview....... Liverpool offered me £40m for Harry Kane the day after he scored his 40th goal for me.... and Stambouli (I know I've raved about him) is moving to them for £25m after kicking up a stinK!

Haha Liverpool are after Rose, Kane & Berahino from me, after having taken Davies from me already!

I just beat Arsenal 7-0 at the Lane, one of the best games I have managed.

Excellent stuff!! My favourite FM memory was back in FM09 (I think) when I came from 4-1 down after the first leg of a Champions League semi-final against Arsenal to win. I remember bringing on Georginio Wijnaldum, who was only 18 or 19 at the time and had hardly played, because of an injury and he scored 2 goals, including the winner. He was instantly on the 'Club Legends' page. Loved it!

27 games played and i'm top of the league with a 3 point lead. Teams seem to be setting up a lot more defensively against me now (I could just be imagining this) but i'm tweaking my tactics & experimenting slightly so the wins keep coming in.

Has any 1 tried using a formation like 3-2-2-1-2 with 3 centerbacks, 2 wingbacks, 2 mid 1 of which a bwm the other a playmaker i.e eriksen then one behind the strikers as a teriquista i.e Townsend/chadli then play lamela upfront as a teriqusita with kane/soldado as a comp forward/advanced forward on the right side or him.

just started 20/21 season. have built new white hart lane (2 seasons ago) now i have season away as its being increased by 14k seats to be a total capacity of 70,312. So i'm currently playing at wembley for this (wasnt moved to wembley when we were building new one).

also have survived a takeover, no additional money brought in or invested :(

Eriksen has been a BEAST! so was lamela for a while but barca poached him on a free! and i had to do a sell now to get anything (got 10m). 2 seasons later he came back to england to play for Chelsea in a 14m deal, he's played 8 games in 2 seasons for them (HA!).

ive won the league 2 (17/18 & 19/20 season) and won fa cup. still waiting on champs league, made a final and a semi so far.

I'm going to start a Tottenham game, anyone I should absolutely sell right from the start?

Realistically there isn't too much deadwood to shift at the start of the game, it's more a case of who should you sign.

If i were to start again though i'd probably shift Adebayor and Dembele window 1.

I'm going to start a Tottenham game, anyone I should absolutely sell right from the start?

If you don't like or not using Paulinho and Soldado, you could offer them up for sale for around 37m(Paulinho) and 20m(Soldado). Both using 48 months installment plan.

Archived