FM15: Tottenham Hotspur - Always Take Lamela With You

enders357

Hi. Have the Spurs players stats been updated to reflect this season? I normally buy FM every year...late to the party this year - but I'm considering missing a year if players like Kane, Mason, Bentaleb aren't going to be reflective of the players they have become this season. Does FM15 reflect the current squad well?

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi. Have the Spurs players stats been updated to reflect this season? I normally buy FM every year...late to the party this year - but I'm considering missing a year if players like Kane, Mason, Bentaleb aren't going to be reflective of the players they have become this season. Does FM15 reflect the current squad well?

Mason is the only one who isn't half way decent from the players you mentioned. Although, there will be a further data update towards the end of February which last year improved the stats of various players so I'm sure there will be improvements made then.

As mentioned.. there is an update on its way which reflects the current window just passed and includes data changes which will of course include any possible changes to the players you mentioned that the researchers deemed necessary.

And from a personal point of view, I'd consider Tottenham in need of quite a few changes,

namely:

Mason, who's poor in the current version.

Kane, not wholesale changes, but certainly some tweaking ( he's already one of the best young british strikers in the prem in game)

Bentaleb, who could do with tweaking, but again is pretty good and wholesale changes would be difficult given his lack of game time recently.

Looking at starting a Spurs game.... How is Harry Kane? Or should i wait until the update as i am assuming he will be upgraded.

I'm sure he'll be upgraded in the new data update but he's already one of the best young strikers in the Premier League in the game.

I think when I start a new save I'm only going to sign a couple of quality players and try bringing through the youth. Like Lucas Romero is a must sign and Joe Gomez. Other then that I will just sign high quality coaches to teach the team.

Started as Spurs recently, and have made it to January of the first season. It's been a pretty solid start. We're sat 4th in the league, but just 2 points behind 3rd place Manchester United with a game in hand, but 7 points back on league leaders Chelsea. The Europa League has been going superbly. We won all 6 group games against Feyenoord, Trnava and Trabszonspor scoring 27 and conceding just 4. Chadli has 7 goals in the competition, Kane 6 and Soldado 5, and Soldado only played 2 games due to an injury to Kane.

I started off by selling a few players I saw as surplus to requirements, so Lennon and Adebayor went, with Assou-Ekotto and Naughton left on the transfer list. Managed to attract offers for both of them, so they departed in Jan. As the season progressed we had bids for Capoue and Fazio, so in January we've generated £47m in sales. I've then spent £35m on the following:

Gino Peruzzi - £3.4m

Kristoffer Ajer - £1.1m

Lucas Romero - £8m

Dele Alli - £2.8m (loaned back to MK Dons)

Patrick Roberts - £9m (loaned back to Fulham)

Alex Meret - £2.5m

Ante Coric - £1m

DeAndre Yedlin - £2.4m (pre-arranged, won't be using)

Martin Odegaard - £1.7m

Danny Ings - £3m

A really nice group of signings there. Very much aimed at the future of the club with quite a few impressive youngsters. Only Peruzzi and Romero have broken into the first team thus far, but I'm sure they will all make it into the first-team squad, and become key players once they've developed fully. Danny Ings was a bargain too. Burnley failed to offer him a new contract, and with Adebayor gone, I needed a new back-up striker, and you can't really go wrong going with a talented young English striker.

With those transfers made, I currently line up as follows:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-13%20at%2008.56.21_zpspxzteccb.png

You'll notice no place for Christian Eriksen. He had a very slow start to the season, and so Lamela took the SS position scoring 8 goals in the league. Townsend has also been mighty impressive, scoring 8 and making 4 goals in 16 league games, so they're actually keeping Eriksen out of the team. Obviously a player with the quality of Eriksen will get in at some point, and I'm sure he'll play well, but if you get injured and miss a good bulk of the season, you can't expect to swan back into the team.

My main reason for starting at Spurs was the guarantee that I'd get to work with Harry Kane. I've seen him do well on the game, and have been recommended him by a mate of mine, but I'd never actually managed him myself. Boy have I been impressed! 15 goals in 19 games in all competitions, his attributes are improving, he's been picked by England and his value is shooting up. His solid performances in Europe (6 goals in 5 starts) lead to this arriving in my inbox in January:

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-13%20at%2008.40.51_zpsyl5enuaa.png

What a player. Going to build this team around Harry Kane.

One of the things I'm looking forward to on the data update - apart from the overhaul of Ryan Mason - is getting this "doesn't enjoy the big games" personality trait taken off Harry Kane. I was dubious at the start of the season and wondered what it was based on, and I think we can safely say now after the Chelsea and Arsenal derbies he relishes the big games!

Here's a question. Would you say in Pochettino's real life tactics his holding midfielders - and I'm thinking mainly of when Mason and Bentaleb play together - would operate in the central midfield or defensive midfield positions if recreating in FM? There's arguments for both and would be interested to know what you all think.

Here's a question. Would you say in Pochettino's real life tactics his holding midfielders - and I'm thinking mainly of when Mason and Bentaleb play together - would operate in the central midfield or defensive midfield positions if recreating in FM? There's arguments for both and would be interested to know what you all think.

Good Q.

IMHO Poch doesn't really use "holding" midfielders per se (at least not since dropping Capoue), they both have the freedom to roam. He likes the midfield to be compact with players close to each other, so I wouldn't use them in the DM strata. Mason as B2B and Bentaleb as DLP, both on support duty, is how I would replicate Poch's system in FM15.

To support my point, here is Mason's and Bentaleb's heat maps against Arsenal:

7Nf2KE7.png

wqKyMqU.png

They're both quite mobile, even if Bentaleb tends to hang back some more.

Good Q.

IMHO Poch doesn't really use "holding" midfielders per se (at least not since dropping Capoue), they both have the freedom to roam. He likes the midfield to be compact with players close to each other, so I wouldn't use them in the DM strata. Mason as B2B and Bentaleb as DLP, both on support duty, is how I would replicate Poch's system in FM15.

To support my point, here is Mason's and Bentaleb's heat maps against Arsenal:

7Nf2KE7.png

wqKyMqU.png

They're both quite mobile, even if Bentaleb tends to hang back some more.

]

Yeah, I think you're right. It'd be great if the tactics module somehow allowed you to set instructions that would create a double pivot - you two need to keep things tight in the middle of the pitch and one of you can get forward to support the attack as long as the other stays back. Or something!

Decided to start a game with Spurs as i didn't want to wait for the update... Playing well in the home games but as usual i can't seem to buy a win away from home. Struggling with Soldado and Lamela at the minute aswell.

Lamela should come good... Soldado not so much.

Lamela should come good... Soldado not so much.

Townsend is out performing Lamela at the minute but will definately be keeping Lamela as I have seen how good he is for others... I did see Soldado has done well for certain people but he has only scored once so far. May try and sell him in the next transfer window.

I started a new save with the Spurs. They are automatically my favorite team in the PL due to Yedlin being on the team. Yedlin grew up in my area and I have watched him grow as a player, so I follow him wherever he goes even if he is overseas. IRL, I hope he will get some minutes with the first team. He still needs a lot of work on his technical abilities and positioning.

In my last save (with the Wolves), I bought most of the wonderkids like Tieleman, Pavitskiy, G Barbosa, ect. The game got amazingly easy after 2017 because I had most of the world class players on my team. In this save with the Spurs, I'll strictly limit myself to English, American, and youth intake players. Here is my transfer so far:

Summer%20Transfer%202014_zpscjxu84me.jpg

I wanted to keep Vertonghen, but there was just too many CB on the team. I got rid of Soldado because I want to start Kane. Kane scored 2 goals in his first game of the season against Swansea. I'm slowly familiarizing myself with this team and players.

Joshua Onomah is tipped for European Golden Boy on my save going into December 2017. I'm giving him all the game time I can to try and give him the best chance possible of winning! The boy has been great for me. 5 goals and 8 assists in 15 league games in 2016-17 and 4 goals and 9 assists in his first 12 in 2017-18 - and he signlehandedly destroyed Zenit in an away Champions League game, and has scored 3 or 4 goals for England now too.

HE DID IT!

Yay! Well done! Boy is special, that's for sure.

I went back to my save to check one thing, and noticed another awesome quality to Onomah. Since giving him his debut a couple of years back he's taken 20 penalties for us - and scored all but one. Ironically, his only miss came against a former Spurs youth in Brentford's David Button.

Yay! Well done! Boy is special, that's for sure.

I went back to my save to check one thing, and noticed another awesome quality to Onomah. Since giving him his debut a couple of years back he's taken 20 penalties for us - and scored all but one. Ironically, his only miss came against a former Spurs youth in Brentford's David Button.

That's interesting - I don't have him on penalties (I'm so keen for Harry Kane to break Jimmy Greaves's league goals record I'm giving every opportunity, but maybe I should reconsider!)

That's interesting - I don't have him on penalties (I'm so keen for Harry Kane to break Jimmy Greaves's league goals record I'm giving every opportunity, but maybe I should reconsider!)

I have the same sub-goal for Kane, but it feels pretty far away at the moment. Anyhow, his penalty stat is 1 in 3 for me, so no more penalties for Hurricane.

I have the same sub-goal for Kane, but it feels pretty far away at the moment. Anyhow, his penalty stat is 1 in 3 for me, so no more penalties for Hurricane.

Onomah just missed his first pen for me in a league match with Chelsea and I'm blaming you ;)

Kane has scored 11 in 14 pens for me. It's not brilliant, but it'll do. He has 86 league goals for me in 3 and a half seasons so besting 220 is definitely possible if he stays fit and the team is built around him for the next 5 or 6 years. The main reason he won't do it is because I probably won't play the save for long enough!

Am I right in thinking the financial projections don't include any prize money? My situation looks pretty dire - for the next three seasons I have a transfer budget of £713k per year and each year the club slips another £5m in debt (ending up £65m in the red). However, I'm doing well in all comps and would expect to rake in a decent amount of prize money and TV revenue - plus I move in to the new stadium at the end of this season so that should see us make more money week on week... right??!

Am I right in thinking the financial projections don't include any prize money?

Not sure, but the projections often seems to be way off the actual outcome for me.

Onomah just missed his first pen for me in a league match with Chelsea and I'm blaming you ;)

You just didn't believe in him enough!

I stayed up til 4am last night (this morning!) finishing my fourth season (and work has been hard today!). I didn't mean to but I got to the semi-final of the FA Cup and wanted to play til then, and my title challenge picked up some pace during the build up to that (largely due to City and Chelsea both dropping loads of points) so I had to see the season out - and what a season it was!! I won the league but lost the FA Cup semi-final to Chelsea. My previous finishes have been 6th, 5th and 3rd so I was really just aiming for another top 4 finish and I'm over the moon at the overachievement!

I don't tend to post up a big season review but I may get some screenshots of note up later today or tomorrow (if I can tear myself away from actually playing the game!).

Congrats mate, that's well deserved reward for sticking with your save. I would at minimum be very interested in a screen of your current squad.

Myself I recently finished the 19/20 season, which contained some highs and some lows. Will do a reasonably long write up later. In the mean time, here's a lil teaser...

66jZcAT.png

Congrats mate, that's well deserved reward for sticking with your save. I would at minimum be very interested in a screen of your current squad.

Thanks, buddy.

Here you go - I'm doing it in pre-season so there's no performance stats (massive oversight!) and there have been a few changes - I finally let Fazio go, as well as Bruno Zuculini (who I'd only had for one year - turned a £14m profit on a guy who only started 9 league games for us! Thanks, Monaco) and, sadly, I let Bentaleb leave for Man City when they offered £23m. He'd never settled in to a first team player and I had the opportunity to sign England captain Jordan Henderson so went for it.

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2012.14.35_zpsz9uao52u.png

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2012.14.15_zpszitedlom.png

Vit Divecky, Moses Dykman and Christian Hinostroza are all newgens.

The players of note last season were:

Lloris - club captain and most clean sheets in division.

Glover - filled in for 7 league games over Christmas when Lloris was injured and really did far better than I expected.

Walker - I had signed De Sciglio last summer as Walker was poor the year before but he had an outstanding season and De Sciglio only really played in the cups.

Bernat - Someone I picked up cheap after my first season when he wanted to leave Bayern for more football. One of my favourite players in-game.

Dier - Spent three years out on loan but came back and took over from Fazio in the heart of my defence (Musacchio had a long lay off with injury)

Strootman - my first big signing a couple of years in to the game and a rock in my midfield

De Bruyne - signed to replace Eriksen when he left for Barcelona after we failed to qualify for the CL a couple of years back. A brilliant, creative player who I use as a DLP in a midfield diamond.

Onomah/Gotze - Onomah was great for the first half of the season (he won European Golden Boy) sitting behind my front two but then he got injured for 7 months and Gotze, who I signed on a free transfer last summer and had a slow start when used as a sub, started playing regularly and picked up where Josh left off.

Kane - This was the first season where he wasn't my top scorer, being beaten by just one goal in all comps, but still managed 25 in the league and has 98 league goals for us now.

Gabigol (Gabriel Barbosa) - after getting a lot of assists in his first season for us but not too many goals he clicked in to gear this time around. 37 in all comps, 26 in the league.

Here's how I lined up if everyone was fit and we weren't rotating (which I do tend to do):

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2012.29.00_zps0hrysi9h.png

The narrow formation came about after my second season when I failed to qualify for the Champions League and was gutted by Barcelona (Eriksen), Juventus (Lamela) and Bayern (Memphis Depay). This ripped my 4-2-3-1 apart and I couldn't find any real quality to replace the two outstanding wingers I'd lost so I picked up the best players I could, almost regardless of position. Barbosa, De Bruyne, Kramer and Xabi Alonso (who only stayed one year but was a big influence on the team) joined and I devised this Diamond to get the most out of them and my existing players - Kane had to stay in the team so I needed something with two strikers and Bernat is excellent going forward so I knew I could rely on him for width.

My philosophy is influenced by Pochettino, Klopp et al - stay close to the opponents, close them down fast and win the ball quick, transition from back to front quickly, express yourselves, try and dominate the game (though not by having loads of slow, sterile possession). I did have the one of the higher temp options ticked at one stage but I found the team were a little out of control and, besides, the close marking and close down much more seem to encourage a quick game anyway. I also played a high line for a while but we were being outdone by simple balls over the top too much for my liking - I think this was the problem of not getting to their wide players quickly enough to stop them playing those, owing to the narrow formation.

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2012.29.23_zps2cd8bm5g.png

If I'm well in control of a game and want to close it down rather than keep attcking and risk conceding I'll switch to something slower, with short passes and retain possession on. Often I'll change to defensive mentality for the last 7 or 8 minutes of matches I'm winning by just a one goal margin; slow the game down and get everyone behind the ball, play narrow, clear long and waste time.

The only real change I am planning to the formation for the new season is this (below). Kramer has never been spectacular and I want to get Hnderson and Strootman in the same team. It's possible I'm going to find out quickly just what Kramer was doing for me and start conceding so these plans are not set in stone (and, as such, I'm retraining Henderson and Strootman to make them natural DMs too).

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2012.33.18_zpshagqbzi9.png

While I'm one a screenshots tip, here's some of the young players at the club.

Starting with three who start the game in the Spurs youth ranks and look like they can become important players for us (or already have)...

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.14.47_zpsdv3h3qcg.png

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.14.08_zpsw23d8pys.png

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.14.28_zpsfvkomeb6.png

A handful of newgens that have come in to the club through our own youth intakes or from feeder clubs (i.e., without the need for me to sign them)...

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.13.47_zpsdwn4x3kx.png

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.12.08_zpslblwavn1.png

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.12.23_zpsdq75l7cl.png

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.12.38_zps6zzc6ojp.png

A few newgen signings...

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.13.25_zpsqzvkbd01.png

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.13.09_zpsfsxa0t3o.png

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.11.50_zpsbj9otzhd.png

And everyone's favourite Norwegian...

Screenshot%202015-02-25%2015.15.11_zpsfou9kpnw.png

The future's bright, the future's lilywhite, as they say.

Some screenies of the updated stats on certain players:

Bentaleb : looking insanely good now..

df8cbe64b60dd97d90b5323fc370be6b.png

Eric Dier : again, much improvement.

62dde7ae9b89580ff296d535ce66894a.png

Harry Kane : of course... looking unstoppable .. two footed and ridiculous stats...

0423c0a83805449ad6979d2a9607cada.png

Ryan Mason: vast improvements here as expected... top notch.

df28b8cea7569a3bee74fb392d8e85e3.png

Some screenies of the updated stats on certain players:

Bentaleb : looking insanely good now..

Eric Dier : again, much improvement.

Harry Kane : of course... looking unstoppable .. two footed and ridiculous stats...

Ryan Mason: vast improvements here as expected... top notch.

Some good improvements on all of them. BUT, Kane's determination at 10 is BS, as is his important matches at the same number, his dribbling at 11 is too low, same with pace and strength.

Mason's teamwork and aggression are too low.

Some good improvements on all of them. BUT, Kane's determination at 10 is BS, as is his important matches at the same number, his dribbling at 11 is too low, same with pace and strength.

Mason's teamwork and aggression are too low.

agreed, one thing about kane in the game is how easily defenders can take the ball off him when he drops deep, i was looking forward to seeing an increase in his dribbling.

his power runs and desire to win the ball back high up the pitch should have resulted in a higher determination too.

is a new save required to implement these changes or will the apply to current saves?

Argh! The data update is such a dilemma. I'm having loads of fun on my current save but I really want to play with these updated stats.

Has anyone's stats come down? Paulinho, Lamela maybe?

I think Paulinhos PA & CA have been knocked down a couple of points. Nothing drastic. Lamela looks unchanged. Don't see any changes in Eriksen but could be wrong.

Archived