Declining Season Performance (after a Stellar Start)

I have a lingering problem, I'm hoping you may help: my seasons always start with great victories (8-0, 6-1, etc.), but then gradually deteriorates down to tougher scores, even with minor clubs. Although my club usually ends up ranking high on the final tables, this declining team performance annoys me. I wonder if I am training them too hard, whether I should give more free days, and/or diversify training or tactical formation (though this also affects performance due to increased confusion).

Any suggestions?... Thank you.

Several factors in play: opposing team's own tactical familiarity improves, teams begin to counter your tactics as you become more of a threat (ie packing it in defensively, hard tackling and tighter marking, etc.), fatigue/jadedness of your squad, even players starting to take the opposition lightly and not staying motivated. About November, I start freshening up my tactics, rotate in the occasional youngster to light a fire under the starting squad, maybe drop a bag of hammers in my team talks. If they start looking fatigued, I send one on vacation every 3-4 days as long as I have cover for them, if not then I at least give them 2-3 days off of training.

Archived