away games

Hi

just wondering how people treat away games on fm15. Strength of squad obviously plays a huge part, but even with a strong squad for the division do you play a more defensive version of your main tactic, or use a totally different tactic?.

I ask as i'm not a football tactical genius and have not found a happy solution in away matches. I struggled on fm13 until i got used to it. Im happy to work it out but some ideas on how to approach an away match would be helpful

thx

Depending on the opposition really

If im away at someone I should be beating I keep my tactic the same as my home tactic

If its going to be a close game I usually restrain my full backs ever so slightly to keep things quite tight at the back

If im a massive underdog then I try and get a physical striker on and some pace to support him and set up to be very hard to break down and dangerous on the break

thanks for he reply, i think the team i'm using is also a bit lacking in teamwork and mentality, although one of the skilfull sides. This im sure doesnt help but too many away matches my instructions dont affect the team much in away games. My rating should be ok with them as i started as an ex pro footballer.

Away games has been too frequent an issue ive had over the last few version of fm ive played. After 2 seasons in FM2013 i found a sweet 451 counter tactic (last version ive played) and it served me well to win many trophies. I want to approach 2015 a bit differently.

thanks for he reply, i think the team i'm using is also a bit lacking in teamwork and mentality, although one of the skilfull sides. This im sure doesnt help but too many away matches my instructions dont affect the team much in away games. My rating should be ok with them as i started as an ex pro footballer.

Away games has been too frequent an issue ive had over the last few version of fm ive played. After 2 seasons in FM2013 i found a sweet 451 counter tactic (last version ive played) and it served me well to win many trophies. I want to approach 2015 a bit differently.

Where do you actually find the specific problems when playing away? If you managed to win trophies why change things?

well that was on fm2013 not 2015, even if the same tactic works on 15 i want to approach the game differently regarding tactics ( i may revert to type later). Im not struggling as havent played enough games to learn but my team seems to 'give up' and start leaking goals, often after a goal lead. Which makes me think its a collective mentality issue not ability. More than that im happy to find solution in time. Just interested to see how others approach away games. )

well that was on fm2013 not 2015, even if the same tactic works on 15 i want to approach the game differently regarding tactics ( i may revert to type later). Im not struggling as havent played enough games to learn but my team seems to 'give up' and start leaking goals, often after a goal lead. Which makes me think its a collective mentality issue not ability. More than that im happy to find solution in time. Just interested to see how others approach away games. )

THeres two potential issues I can see there

1) Team either have low stamina or not fully match fit so they tire out towars the end of games. How high tempo is your tactic? If youre going all out all the time they will tire. May need to lower the tempo a bit once you get ahead

2) You stay too attacking all the way through the game. If you are a goal up away from home the home team are going to throw everythign at you, especially towards the end of games. May just need to shore up a bit as time goes on to ensure you dont concede late

Hope that helps. Id be interested to see your full tactic if you want to post it?

THeres two potential issues I can see there

1) Team either have low stamina or not fully match fit so they tire out towars the end of games. How high tempo is your tactic? If youre going all out all the time they will tire. May need to lower the tempo a bit once you get ahead

2) You stay too attacking all the way through the game. If you are a goal up away from home the home team are going to throw everythign at you, especially towards the end of games. May just need to shore up a bit as time goes on to ensure you dont concede late

Hope that helps. Id be interested to see your full tactic if you want to post it?

you may well be right on the second point, although the goals come mid game usually very soon after I've scored, its happened in successive away games. I've been trying out a 424 as its one of a few formations which suit my team. As with the previous version i drop back after scoring to a touch more defensive. Maybe i need to be much more defensive and counter after scoring. I also suspect the 424 doesn't help and the fact my team play in the championship and sides seem closer in ability. I'll put up more info regarding team and tactic if im struggling in another half season :) Im interested in whether people approach home and away matches differently, when FM was CM i never changed tactics, FM13 i did until i built a strong enough side and tactic so it wasnt necessary.

Part of the problem is that people tend to change their approach dramatically for away games, or tougher opposition, when in reality a few minor tweaks may be all that is needed.

Now if you want to create a dramatically different approach, that's a separate issue. It can be trick to find a secondary style that suits your team..

Ive said in a couple of threads to check training. If for example in 2 weeks time youre going to be playing away to the top of the league side that is banging them in at ease then train defending and def set pieces for main focus leading up to the game. Show players on to their weak foot, close down etc look for players with low bravery and tackle hard.

Archived