Official Football Manager 2015 Feedback Thread 15.1.3

What this post tells me is that Football Manager really isn't the game for you.

It really is, I've been playing it for 20 years, but my patience is growing thin with paying £25 each year for a data update with some new bugs slapped on top and ones that were previously fixed re-introduced. I vowed to NEVER buy this game before January ever again and I'm most annoyed that I fell for it again.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else thinks that amount of goals from crosses is RIDICULOUS? I've been scoring (and losing) soooooo many goals in that way, it's completely stupid. Full Back have no idea how to defend agaist players who cross, then just run next to them doing nothing and when I a see cross coming from the wide I'm always 90% sure it will be a goal. And Im right 8 out of 10 times. It's absurd.... I'm playing as Blackburn in Championship.

There are two definitions of playable, technical which FM15 easily achieves and personal which is exactly that, if it's unplayable to you personally and your told your particular foibles won't be catered for this time round it's time to move on.

Without wishing to add too much negativity to a thread which already has bucket loads of it (some of it justified, some not), I think SI will probably find that quite a few of the people will be "moving on", and with a world-class game like Far Cry 4 just around the corner it's easy to see why. Yes some people's expectations are unrealistic; you're not going to get a FIFA quality match engine with all of the complexity of FM this side of 2020. It's just not going to happen. However...

I myself find the game quite unplayable. Yes it loads. Yes it appears to be pretty stable and runs smoothly enough. And yes, I think the general backbone of the game (apart from THAT tactics screen) is the best yet. Unfortunately, the ME in it's current incarnation is not representative of real football; it just isn't. I've played half a season on the new ME and I can't stomach it any longer. I would say that at least 40% of all goals scored are identical, and almost all come from corners and crosses (both for and against). If you enjoy seeing the same type of goals over and over again and enjoy using wingers to exploit the ME, then you will find it perfectly playable. If, however, you want to play a different style of football that is geared towards penetration through the middle, I suggest you stay away until an update is released. It's also very bizarre to see the amount of crossed balls in and corners that are finished by a side-footed volley rather than a header. I can't remember seeing too many corners scored in that way in all the time I've been watching football. Maybe it's the old grey matter playing tricks on me...

The one positive that I do take from the shambolic state of the ME is how quickly it regressed from the very solid beta release to arguably the worst match engine I've ever seen. If it can regress so drastically within such a short space of time, it stands to reason that it MAY not take them too long to release an update that rectifies it.

And I won't even mention goalkeeper reactions...

What on earth is this nonsense? :D

You're doing something wrong tactically and/or in press conferences/teamtalks if you can't beat the team who is bottom of the league. There's no bug there.

I wont get in into the debate more than this, its not nonsense thats for sure, and to counter it with "it must be your tactics"...sigh. No matter how defensive you play AI always get the pressure, especially last 15 mins in every single game, no matter what, and no matter what team you face or what team you play. To make it more exciting maybe?, been a pattern for many years in FM though:).

Iam actually surprised that there is so many ppls enjoying FM15 in its current state while me myself cant stand it, feels sad when i see the logo on detskop lol, always been my fav game.

I never used this forum either but i just felt this year i had to let out my displease with the work from SI/Sega.

Because that would be a ridiculous thing to do right? Attack the worst team in the league, what muppet would do that.

I don't appreciate the sarcasm thanks. The point I make is complacency can cause all sorts of problems, happens in real life. All out attack say compared to control may not be a good option. Do the better sides always go Attack when player so called inferior opposition? I don't think so

Without wishing to add too much negativity to a thread which already has bucket loads of it (some of it justified, some not), I think SI will probably find that quite a few of the people will be "moving on", and with a world-class game like Far Cry 4 just around the corner it's easy to see why. Yes some people's expectations are unrealistic; you're not going to get a FIFA quality match engine with all of the complexity of FM this side of 2020. It's just not going to happen. However...

I myself find the game quite unplayable. Yes it loads. Yes it appears to be pretty stable and runs smoothly enough. And yes, I think the general backbone of the game (apart from THAT tactics screen) is the best yet. Unfortunately, the ME in it's current incarnation is not representative of real football; it just isn't. I've played half a season on the new ME and I can't stomach it any longer. I would say that at least 40% of all goals scored are identical, and almost all come from corners and crosses (both for and against). If you enjoy seeing the same type of goals over and over again and enjoy using wingers to exploit the ME, then you will find it perfectly playable. If, however, you want to play a different style of football that is geared towards penetration through the middle, I suggest you stay away until an update is released. It's also very bizarre to see the amount of crossed balls in and corners that are finished by a side-footed volley rather than a header. I can't remember seeing too many corners scored in that way in all the time I've been watching football. Maybe it's the old grey matter playing tricks on me...

The one positive that I do take from the shambolic state of the ME is how quickly it regressed from the very solid beta release to arguably the worst match engine I've ever seen. If it can regress so drastically within such a short space of time, it stands to reason that it MAY not take them too long to release an update that rectifies it.

All that says to me is that it contravenes the "your personal preferences" clause, too many find it within their tolerance levels for your opinion to be allowed the status of the authoritative final word.

Non withstanding gk reactions part :)

If SI tones the goals from corners and crosses down, then where are the goals going to come from?

From improving the conversions of one-on-ones! This is actually a valid point, though, given how tremendously difficult it is to simulate "intelligent" build-up play through the center.

As it is, the game seems to use unrealistically high levels of tackling, rubberbanding running speeds and visually clear cut chances that aren't, in fact, "clear cut chances" to stop you from shredding stupid defenses with direct through balls. Positioning and reading of the game and reactivity are all very poor. The game basically puts bodies in the way of goal rather than intelligent players who control and contest space through their positioning and movement.

But I don't fault SI. AI programming is really, really hard. It's one thing to say Andrew Pirlo, e.g., has high Vision and Passing and Flair. It's another thing to have the game combine those traits in a highly complex simulation to represent the genius of Andrea Pirlo. It's why the old text (and to a lesser extent the 2D dots) was so seductive; the user contributes their sense of what football is like.

The one positive that I do take from the shambolic state of the ME is how quickly it regressed from the very solid beta release to arguably the worst match engine I've ever seen.

Also, this is bonkers to me. For all the ME's flaws, I'm stunned by the progress they've made since 15.0.1.

From improving the conversions of one-on-ones! This is actually a valid point, though, given how tremendously difficult it is to simulate "intelligent" build-up play through the center.

This is a bug from (I think) 2011 which has been reintroduced. It took 3 months to get goals from through balls into the game that year and it's reappeared this time round.

This is a bug from (I think) 2011 which has been reintroduced. It took 3 months to get goals from through balls into the game that year and it's reappeared this time round.

It isn't, the causes and effects at this time are totally different.

Don't pretend knowledge you don't have it's embarrassing having to keep correcting you.

Proccessing of Europa League Qualifying rounds, German Cup first round games, Seria A TIM cup first rounds. or almost every first round cups in other countries is as least 2 times slower then last years on lower end PC's. Last year it was slow, but in FM 15 I've waited for like 3-4 minutes after using the instant result during the 3rd round of euro cup.

Anyone else thinks that amount of goals from crosses is RIDICULOUS? I've been scoring (and losing) soooooo many goals in that way, it's completely stupid. Full Back have no idea how to defend agaist players who cross, then just run next to them doing nothing and when I a see cross coming from the wide I'm always 90% sure it will be a goal. And Im right 8 out of 10 times. It's absurd.... I'm playing as Blackburn in Championship.

I wonder if you have read any of the earlier posts which may give you more information?

Proccessing of Europa League Qualifying rounds, German Cup first round games, Seria A TIM cup first rounds. or almost every first round cups in other countries is as least 2 times slower then last years on lower end PC's. Last year it was slow, but in FM 15 I've waited for like 3-4 minutes after using the instant result during the 3rd round of euro cup.

Personally performance seems unchanged but my PC is still relatively tasty. How many stars do you get for indicative performance when starting a new game?

I know there is a small issue re crosses and goals from them but it just isn't abad as some people are making out, as I an a few others have stated we aren't seeing as many is our games. As a dominating team, you will by nature of the game get more corners and free kicks where crosses will come from, and with those goals will follow. Most teams play with width one way or anoher, either with wingers or WB's and you will get many crosses coming in via these players, I think what some people are saying is it's the quality of crosses in general and the amount of goals that come from them, if that is toned down a tweak we will have a cracking ME to enjoy.

Some feed back now.

Players seem a bit staggered, they seem to stutter when running, slow then a burst of speed and then slowly again.

Players are also a bit slow on the uptake, a tackle goes in and instead of taking the ball or kicking it away they just stand there looking at their opponents, next second the ball's away and the moment is lost.

Players turning with the ball also seems slow, they turn like tankers.

keepers still doing daft things now and then, not too often but just once every now and then.

Is it really embarassing? I doubt it.

My sincerest apologies, it's the same symptom but a different cause. I'm not sure how that's any better. *shrug*

Don't recall saying it was better, but we prefer to give out correct info when we're able, thanks.

Personally performance seems unchanged but my PC is still relatively tasty. How many stars do you get for indicative performance when starting a new game?

Have a really crappy PC, so since FM 2012, I've been getting like 1* but I never had any problems. But this year proccessing is really annoying me, like when those first round cups start my game would just freeze for like 2-3 minutes while it's done.

I don't see bucket loads of negativity. There is justified criticism perhaps regarding goals from corners and crosses but this has been acknowledged multiple times. There has been comments regarding injuries which is unfounded. Comments regarding save times being long which I agree (60 seconds on average for mine). Goal keeping issues again which have been acknowledged

For those that truly are experienced FM'rs they know that key issues raised from launch day will get looked at in due course. Those saying the game is unplayable I disagree but each person has their own view point.

I personally think its one of the best CM or FM versions ever, acknowledging some tweaking is required. From an FM experience perspective given the very low level of critical feedback compared to previous years, and noting this thread is really for constructive comment, I'd say the masses must be fairly happy also?

That's my view anyway

Have a really crappy PC, so since FM 2012, I've been getting like 1* but I never had any problems. But this year proccessing is really annoying me, like when those first round cups start my game would just freeze for like 2-3 minutes while it's done.

I think there's still some optimising to be done but do make sure you check for all usual culprits that can make it worse, virus scanners etc.

I know there is a small issue re crosses and goals from them but it just isn't abad as some people are making out, as I an a few others have stated we aren't seeing as many is our games. As a dominating team, you will by nature of the game get more corners and free kicks where crosses will come from, and with those goals will follow. Most teams play with width one way or anoher, either with wingers or WB's and you will get many crosses coming in via these players, I think what some people are saying is it's the quality of crosses in general and the amount of goals that come from them, if that is toned down a tweak we will have a cracking ME to enjoy.

Some feed back now.

Players seem a bit staggered, they seem to stutter when running, slow then a burst of speed and then slowly again.

Players are also a bit slow on the uptake, a tackle goes in and instead of taking the ball or kicking it away they just stand there looking at their opponents, next second the ball's away and the moment is lost.

Players turning with the ball also seems slow, they turn like tankers.

eepers still doing daft things now and then, not too often but just once every now and then.

That's good feedback. The stutter when running that I've seen appears to relate to defenders chasing back on through balls, perhaps they feel the attacker is now chasing then put a burst on?

I think there's still some optimising to be done but do make sure you check for all usual culprits that can make it worse, virus scanners etc.

Long proccessing times are more related to those first rounds when there's a lot of games. Like once I get to the group stage of Euro Cup for instance, it goes as normal as my old pc can handle it, it's just those first initial rounds that give me longer proccessing times. Also have my AV set to silence/gaming mode, and nothing else running.

Whilst there are undoubtedly problems, it is possible to help yourself. I am playing a 4231 so have two wide men and a lone forward, but of the thirteen goals I have scored in four friendlies only two have come from crosses (one far post header and one near post shot). I haven't scored from a corner. I have set up with shorter passing and work ball into box, and the majority of my goals are coming from shots from between the edge of the D and the penalty spot. My AMC is set up as a playmaker on support role which helps, in my view, to focus play through the middle. Of the three goals conceded, one was from a through ball, one from a cross and one from a corner. Have been enjoying the game, and the variety helps.

Well, my game even doesnt update.. I still have 15.0.3...

Also i agree with crosses being goals everytime.. Im playing as Dortmund and ive played my preseason, 15 goals scored. Piszczek has assisted 10 of them.. Other 5 have been either Reus freekicks or own goals.

Long proccessing times are more related to those first rounds when there's a lot of games. Like once I get to the group stage of Euro Cup for instance, it goes as normal as my old pc can handle it, it's just those first initial rounds that give me longer proccessing times. Also have my AV set to silence/gaming mode, and nothing else running.

I think that's called running close to the edge :)

Also i agree with crosses being goals everytime.. Im playing as Dortmund and ive played my preseason, 15 goals scored. Piszczek has assisted 10 of them.. Other 5 have been either Reus freekicks or own goals.

Where did you get your game? is it disc or digital?

Let's get you updated and in return you can provide us with a pkm of a match where EVERY cross is a goal, deal? :)

If SI tones the goals from corners and crosses down, then where are the goals going to come from?

This.

Honestly aside from corners and crosses (and the tap ins that follow), the only other goals I see are the odd long range shots.

Personally in my test save, I am playing heavily on the wings, so it's normal that I don't see much play in the middle of the park. But the other teams in the league? They play nothing, and even those who are playing with narrow diamond will play mostly on the wings, failing to ever be dangerous if not as said, with corners and crosses from full backs.

Every match I play no matter the opponent and their formation/strategy looks and feel the same.

I was never so bored watching a fm game in full in the previous editions.

Hopefully the updates will come sooner than last year, from the next one I am afraid it will be best not to buy as soon as the game is released.

I don't care much about the changes to the UI and so on. These are just minor annoyances to me, and everyone will have their own preferences on that matter.

But the ME looks better but plays much worse in my opinion anyways.

Has the running been rubber-banded? I'm only asking as my formation requires humping a long ball to a quick striker, but an 18/18 striker struggles to get away from all defenders. I understand starting points/anticipation/dribbing skills, but surely this should be better?

Has the running been rubber-banded? I'm only asking as my formation requires humping a long ball to a quick striker, but an 18/18 striker struggles to get away from all defenders. I understand starting points/anticipation/dribbing skills, but surely this should be better?

Rubber banded is the wrong expression, the speeds they attain with and without the ball have been questioned and is under investigation.

This is another thing I noticed as well.

Sometimes after a through ball, it looks like the player goes in slow motion instead of running at full speed, then stops for now reason allowing the defenders to catch up.

And that goes without saying that most of the through balls attempts are really badly calibrated in both precision and strength of the pass, most of the time instead of "on the run" they are passed behind the player, totally useless.

Apologies in advance if this has been solved but is there a genuine reason why the tactics screen has been converted to a tedious kind of thing? It's one of the things putting me off from going demo to retail.

Read back through the thread please, you can't miss the references.

I really don't understand why things like best position and asst rec were taken off it

If you miss them enough there's a wishlist, but they do add and remove things which some will applaud and others won't.

Don't know if this is a bug or just how it is, but if I look at the Landmarks in my history it says I've been relegated twice. but if you look at the dates I joined those clubs when they were already relegated so I don't think it should have been credited as a landmark in my history.

You still got relegated, I'm afraid, even if the situation was hopeless when you joined...

Just want to pop in and say team building AI has been solid so far. Only on my third season but I noticed taht the AI has been quite competent in replacing voids left by outgoing players. After signing Zivkovic from Ajax, they moved quickly to secure a very promising 19 year old from Red Star that looks like the real deal, and he has scored 23 in 22 for them already.

Just want to pop in and say team building AI has been solid so far. Only on my third season but I noticed taht the AI has been quite competent in replacing voids left by outgoing players. After signing Zivkovic from Ajax, they moved quickly to secure a very promising 19 year old from Red Star that looks like the real deal, and he has scored 23 in 22 for them already.

Do you feel the AI is competing better in the transfer market generally?

Where did you get your game? is it disc or digital?

Let's get you updated and in return you can provide us with a pkm of a match where EVERY cross is a goal, deal? :)

No take up :( oh well, have to draw my own conclusions from that.

I am conceding goals from crosses all the time. Fix it yesterday. Now I've conceded a goal offside. Not only offside. BUT OFFSIDE!!!!

- goals from crosses, I've sent far too many pkms. just don't try to convince me the m.e. is ready. it's for laughing

- goals offise, tried to upload it but it's blank, so watch an ss http://s26.postimg.org/gag4typa1/image.png

- keepers don't rush out to the keeper area. they don't even try to gather the long balls or crosses. not even in corners. many pkms for this one too

- goals only from corners, pkms for this one too

- defenders stop running for the ball at the back of the defence waiting for the keeper to fill the distance but noooooo... he sleeps in his goal

- defenders won't tackle players or jump for headers in the area when crosses are made

- keepers after first attempt to block a shot, they stand and wait to concede a goal

- this is an uploaded video, well done

please tell me... why do I bother play a released far from complete game? every year the same problem. the m.e.!! and if I play the old school style again 2D, the matches and the results are a lot different. more goals are scored etc. you know what I am talking about.

Do you feel the AI is competing better in the transfer market generally?

I think so yes, it feels like the top clubs have scouts everywhere and can quickly identify in-form players, including mine. For the midtable and lower clubs they are also quite active and maintain decent squad depth, to the best of their financial abilities anyways. If they cant afford, they wont hesitate to bring in lots of loanees. Transfer fees have been generally realistic as well.

please tell me... why do I bother play a released far from complete game?

You don't have to you can wait until March if you want to, but we're very pleased that you do because in spite of being very rude you do at least go to a lot of trouble to provide save games and pkm,s etc to substantiate your claims.

You also don't just make up numbers as so many do.

So all in all you're an asset, unfortunately as you really know this is the way it's always worked and it's unlikely to change, so my advice is bite your lip, give us a smile and soldier on for the benefit of us all :)

Just came across what I think is a bug after loaning Richmond Boayke. Loaned him from Atalanta start of summer 2015 transfer window but when I try to select him he keeps getting taken out of the squad after I continue then when it comes to a match and I pick him and try submit team it says I have only picked 10 starting players.

He isn't unavailable or anything either so only thing I can think of is a bug.

Best release in ages imo. The new ME looks great, new and useful features etc. Of course some issues still, like the crossing thing. I also seem to score a lot of goals from set pieces, especially corners. I've learned to live with waiting for patches, but this time around it looks a lot better than earlier. Haven't come across any major bugs (Torino bought Slimani in January and he still had no shirt number in April even tho he played 15 matches).

I'm realising this about so many people I used to respect (in FM terms) they want win button football lite that always does what they think it should rather than what "might" happen even irl.

They also refuse to accept that even the very best video games have limitations and the more you try to simulate the more bugs and inaccuracies you'll have to live with.

There are two definitions of playable, technical which FM15 easily achieves and personal which is exactly that, if it's unplayable to you personally and your told your particular foibles won't be catered for this time round it's time to move on.

Well I guess it's not the game for me then & time to move on from both the game and these forums. I don't enjoy the game anymore, no doubt it's my tactics and/ or I'm just an idiot as the two geniuses/ experts quoted love to ridicule those of a similar opinion to mine so often. So no doubt I'm wrong(idiot) and they're right(experts) as they do so love to suggest post after sanctimonious post. I'm just stupid to expect the ME to represent my Team Instructions and/or Player Instructions, for Set-piece instructions to be followed for opponents AI to simulate the real life tactics rather than negate my in-game tactics. Every team I've played has a much higher defensive line with high pressing which translates to 20 players in a narrow 25 yard strip of the pitch. Every game is a battle of 1000 passes usually split 450-550 & a 100 tackles usually split 60-40. No doubt the experts would tell me I'm being an idiot and 'it's your Tactics', that I should change my tactics to counter the AI. So Celta AI plays like Barcelona & I'll counter that by having Barcelona play like real-life Celta. So as that idiot who stupidly expects the game to simulate real life in such things as passing accuracy, passes per game, tackles per game, turnovers etc.. Etc.. It's finally time to admit this game & these Forums aren't for the likes of me and it's time for this idiot to move on!

Archived