Official Football Manager 2015 Feedback Thread 15.1.3

Either FMRTE or you are just that good but really, you are in the vast minority, I guarentee it. I have 32 tutees this season and few can mimick this result so please do not be asking for the game get even harder.

First, I am still on the Demo so I have no idea if that would even be possible - apart from the fact that I have never used the FMRTE ever, let alone opened it at all (I'm too oldschool to venture into those realms)...

Second, I have a hard time thinking that I am in the minority, because that would mean that the vast majority doesn't know how the game works - the ME hasn't changed that much in terms of how it calculates things under the hood in the last several generations, although (of course) one would expect that the ME would get better along the way. So, taking that into consideration - as long as you know what you are doing, then having success in the game shouldn't be that much of a problem...

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, taking that into consideration - as long as you know what you are doing, then having success in the game shouldn't be that much of a problem...

If you mean in footballing terms then that's never been truer. :)

After playing a full season I have reached my verdict

Match Engine

The key problem is that from the 60+ games I have watched, the match engine is robotic and one-dimensional. I have watched back at countless attacks in slow motion that have amounted to both goals and missed CCCs, from all divisions including the Prem to League 2. This is the repeat pattern of play time and time again:

1) Midfield play-maker picks up the ball in a central position following a short pass from a defensive player. He moves forward looking for passing options.

2) The forwards ahead of him suddenly become static and are tightly marked. There is no intelligent movement whatsoever from the strikers to create space or a passing option.

3) The defence contracts and narrows which creates space out wide.

4) A raking diagonal pass is played to an on-rushing winger or attacking full back that moves in to the space created by the narrowing defence.

5) A world class cross is delivered into the box. At this exact moment, the strikers (or on rushing opposing winger) suddenly spark into life and make a fantastic run across a defender. Precisely what they should be doing when the MC had the ball in the first phase of the attack.

6) Goal

The fundamental issue is not 'too many crosses' - That is a symptom of there being absolutely no movement centrally in the first phase of an attack. I won the league in my first season with 100 points playing the same old 4-1-2-2-1 and I must have scored over 60 goals in the manner described above, and conceded nearly all of them in the same way. Gamers want 2 simple things from a match engine; variety and fun. Right now it serves up neither in my opinion. This is a feedback thread after all, and feedback is opinion.

Brief feedback

Injuries - not necessarily the amount but how they happen - far too many happening in the match as opposed to training. I have recently had 3 players have to come off due to injury and another 1 in the same match with minor injury icon.

Passing - at times passes go astray for no reason or straight to the opposition when under no pressure etc. This happens too frequently for it to be a coincidence.

Some animations need tweaking - an example is an attacker with 16 pace suddenly get bear in a race for the ball by a 34 yr old defender with 8 pace. At times players dribbling with the ball seem 'slow'. These are aesthetic and not game changers.

Injuries - not necessarily the amount but how they happen - far too many happening in the match as opposed to training. I have recently had 3 players have to come off due to injury and another 1 in the same match with minor injury icon.

That's definitely tactical. You now have to be more aware of how TI's and PI's affect the condition of your players. For example, two of my three CM's in my current tactic, have a 'close down more' instruction. I've noticed in recent games their condition dropping much quicker than the other players. One has been taken off injured in a couple of games. Depending on how the game is going, I now quite often take that instruction off for a period of time to give them a brief respite.

It's certainly a lot riskier in this game to have players closing down for the entire 90mins, as it should be really.

The more I play the more pleased I am with the game. I thought there was an issue with near post corners, but I haven't seen one in several matches now so maybe the frequency I saw earlier were just due to small sample size.

Goals seem to be coming from a good mix of through balls, crosses, set pieces, and long shots.

One thing I will say is that goal totals still seem a little bit high. I'm only in early October in my first season and I've already had competitive matches end 5-2, 6-1, and 5-4. I'm sure they've done the relevant soak tests but these sorts of goalfests seem a bit common.

One thing I will say is that goal totals still seem a little bit high. I'm only in early October in my first season and I've already had competitive matches end 5-2, 6-1, and 5-4. I'm sure they've done the relevant soak tests but these sorts of goalfests seem a bit common.

SI do run extensive soak tests which tend to show goals scored in a +/- 10% range of real life for that league. There is even distinct, visible difference between goals scored somewhere like Italy, where players can defend, compared to England, where they can't.

Lots of work is still going on regarding crosses, corners, long shots and general finishing to further refine these goal counts. We'll still see a 5-2, 6-1 and 5-4 now and then, but the absolute goal count should be near as damnit pretty accurate.

After playing a full season I have reached my verdict

Match Engine

The key problem is that from the 60+ games I have watched, the match engine is robotic and one-dimensional. I have watched back at countless attacks in slow motion that have amounted to both goals and missed CCCs, from all divisions including the Prem to League 2. This is the repeat pattern of play time and time again:

1) Midfield play-maker picks up the ball in a central position following a short pass from a defensive player. He moves forward looking for passing options.

2) The forwards ahead of him suddenly become static and are tightly marked. There is no intelligent movement whatsoever from the strikers to create space or a passing option.

3) The defence contracts and narrows which creates space out wide.

4) A raking diagonal pass is played to an on-rushing winger or attacking full back that moves in to the space created by the narrowing defence.

5) A world class cross is delivered into the box. At this exact moment, the strikers (or on rushing opposing winger) suddenly spark into life and make a fantastic run across a defender. Precisely what they should be doing when the MC had the ball in the first phase of the attack.

6) Goal

The fundamental issue is not 'too many crosses' - That is a symptom of there being absolutely no movement centrally in the first phase of an attack. I won the league in my first season with 100 points playing the same old 4-1-2-2-1 and I must have scored over 60 goals in the manner described above, and conceded nearly all of them in the same way. Gamers want 2 simple things from a match engine; variety and fun. Right now it serves up neither in my opinion. This is a feedback thread after all, and feedback is opinion.

Completely agree with the suggestion of pattern play. Each games seems to simply repeat the same moves over and over again with not hint of the players having any unique movement at all.

The workrate and position of the AI makes it very difficult for anyone to get a shot off. I think for so many of the shots to be blocked is simply unreal - at the same time the amount of mistimed tackles is also very unreal. I would say it's unlikely a winger or striker would beat a defender 99 times out of 100 yet this is what happens when running down the wings. This only happens for the AI though - when your players attempt the same they very rarely get cross or shot off.

The one thing that really gets to me is a players attributes appear to mean absolutely nothing. It really doesn't matter when it's Ronaldo, Messi or a lower league conference player. There appears to be no difference in the attributes at all. Someone with 10 pace is just as quick as someone with 20 pace. Someone with 18 shooting will hit no better shots than someone with 8 shooting. Strikers with high flare and excellent finish will often shot very, very wildly at goal much more than they should.

It really does feel as though you have no control over the team and that the match engine is just stuck in a loop.

Completely agree with the suggestion of pattern play. Each games seems to simply repeat the same moves over and over again with not hint of the players having any unique movement at all.

The workrate and position of the AI makes it very difficult for anyone to get a shot off. I think for so many of the shots to be blocked is simply unreal - at the same time the amount of mistimed tackles is also very unreal. I would say it's unlikely a winger or striker would beat a defender 99 times out of 100 yet this is what happens when running down the wings. This only happens for the AI though - when your players attempt the same they very rarely get cross or shot off.

The one thing that really gets to me is a players attributes appear to mean absolutely nothing. It really doesn't matter when it's Ronaldo, Messi or a lower league conference player. There appears to be no difference in the attributes at all. Someone with 10 pace is just as quick as someone with 20 pace. Someone with 18 shooting will hit no better shots than someone with 8 shooting. Strikers with high flare and excellent finish will often shot very, very wildly at goal much more than they should.

It really does feel as though you have no control over the team and that the match engine is just stuck in a loop.

I'm sorry but I've never read such a load of nonsense.

The match engine is the same for you and the AI, it doesn't even know which team is which. So if the AI is doing something "99 times out of 100" and your team is "very rarely" then you may want to consider the possible reasons for that. Again, the ME doesn't know which team is which so even ignoring the obvious massive exaggeration on both sides of the equation, you are doing something very wrong.

One of my biggest gripe is the superman keepers we see in pre season games against easy opponents. I arrange 3-4 games against lower league teams so my players get used to the tactics, score some goals and get their confidence up but the amount of times I see keepers from non league etc playing like worldies, I still manage to score goals in abundance against these teams but the saves these keepers make are verging on the ridiculous.

I'm sorry but I've never read such a load of nonsense.

I am sure you will have.

The match engine is the same for you and the AI, it doesn't even know which team is which. So if the AI is doing something "99 times out of 100" and your team is "very rarely" then you may want to consider the possible reasons for that. Again, the ME doesn't know which team is which so even ignoring the obvious massive exaggeration on both sides of the equation, you are doing something very wrong.

That might very well be the case. However, I have tried many tactics and suffer the same issues constantly. I don't think I am the only one experiencing these issues but happy to keep trying and reading what others have to say.

One thing I have noticed is that in the 2nd season the assistant manager appears to stop doing some of the 1st team responsibilities set. Like arranging friendlies, setting pre-match instructions on opposition players (not even an option to ask for this). Hopefully this two points are something others on here have experienced rather than being dismissed as my inane ramblings. :-)

That's definitely tactical. You now have to be more aware of how TI's and PI's affect the condition of your players. For example, two of my three CM's in my current tactic, have a 'close down more' instruction. I've noticed in recent games their condition dropping much quicker than the other players. One has been taken off injured in a couple of games. Depending on how the game is going, I now quite often take that instruction off for a period of time to give them a brief respite.

It's certainly a lot riskier in this game to have players closing down for the entire 90mins, as it should be really.

To a certain extent I agree but in this case all players were injured within the first 30 mins

Run a fair few different saves now and my views are as follows:

- Morale is still way overpowered. Seems it can turn world-beaters into sunday league players and vice versa. A little tone down in that department would do just nicely.

- Boards/Chairmen are probably a little OTT now, obviously I'm well aware this is a simulation but some people actually like managing with a singular team. I know you can go and tell me to play FMC or whatever but I'm not going to do that. I struggled on pretty much every save I've had since the beta (2 or 3 saves with Gillingham, 2 saves with Everton). Had another save and decided to delve a little more heavily into the tactical side of things, read up some stuff in the T&TG and came up with a couple of formations. Now despite being predicted to finish 22nd I managed to pull them to a 5th place finish and the playoff final at Wembley. Lost that but the new season came around and we had a bit of a blip at the start (1w, 1d, 3l) and everyone starts calling for my head. Players all storm in unhappy, demanding meetings left, right and centre. Few games later I get sacked. No real "well you exceeded all expectations with us previously, let's give you a bit of a leeway here". For me, this sucked all the fun out of what I'd had in that save.

- Players, unhappiness and meeting happen far too often. You know the guy I signed as a backup midfielder, had out on loan last season but back at the club providing cover this season? Grabs a coffee, bangs on my door and is demanding football. You put a winning streak together, don't want to change the team around all that much and suddenly everyone on the bench turns into a diva demanding more minutes. Lose/lose situation. They're not as good as your first team so if you play them they'll likely lose and morale will plummet, you don't play them and they turn the dressing room into a fiery pit from hell that makes a street fight look like a hugging party.

Have heard a suggestion that for point 3, to offer the unhappy player mutual termination before it gets to the point it becomes a problem for the rest of the squad. But surely you can't be having to do that with every player? Kinda defeats having any kind of squad depth then. :D

There's been some great changes to the game this year but these things above, for me, have been the flies in an otherwise tasty soup.

Just leaving this here. A few days worth of crash dumps

gTJ6kjG.png

Don't leave it here. It's of no use.

Report it in the Technical Issues and Crashes forum, in the Linux, Mac or PC sub-section. Read the header there first. SI need info to look into your problem. :thup:

I find it odd how many in here that complain about the number of goals scored being too high.

I am currently in July 2020 and I find the number of goals scored to be, if anything, too low. Once in a while you encounter the high scoring games but when I compare the total number of goals scored in any given league it seems to be a bit lower than in real life.

I find the game to be very good. However, I do think that your players miss too much (especially strikers). It seems to be almost impossible for them to score on the very very clear cut chances but instead they sometimes bullet in some random shot from 30 yds-ish. It seems that it's maybe too easy to get to the great scoring chances and to limit the number of goals, you've needed to make the strikers worse. I often encounter games with 0, 1 or 2 goals being scored but the number of shots on goal to be 15-20 and clear cut chances to be 6-10. There's some bad misses in there!

But I am totally enjoying myself. Way too much to be frank. I don't get much else done. I think most of you guys can probably relate ;)

EDIT: the same can be said about the number of injuries. If anything, there's too few. As long as you don't overtrain or overplay your players - or they are very prone to get injuries - I don't encounter that many injuries. I can easily go a full season without more than two or three players being injured at any given time and none of them long term injuries.

I think most of what you guys encounter are up to too small of a sample size and probably bad luck as well.

I want to share a thought about "other Head coaches in game intelligence" and i would like the developers to take it into consideration.

During pre-season i've realised my defence was extremely weak and i was conceding too many goals via corners or silly defensive/goalkeeper's mistakes. So, I've decided to train my team in def. position and def. set pieces on very high workload. Due to that specific training, the results in M.E. were remarkably improved (no more silly goals, no goals via corners, pretty solid defence overall). Te real problem comes to other teams and other head coaches tactic plan during games in match engine. Every goal I score it;s because the annoying sloppy defensive mistakes of my opponent's team ( e.g. The opposite defender tackles, the ball comes to my striker, somehow no defender marks him and there goes the easiest one-on-one in my life). There are so many examples like that and makes me wonder why the cpu managers/head coaches don't develop their tactics and don't work their match training, so their teams don' t concede stupid goals, just like my team improved so well....Head coaches "intelligence" should really improve to make the game overaal realistic

I'm really sorry for my bad english and i'm also sorry if this isn't the right place to post my concern

Is there an option that I might have missed, to stop goalkeepers taking free kicks near the corner flag hitting it across field straight to an opponent who promptly volleys it into the empty net?

Wait until your team has defended greatly for 84 minutes and you are close to pulling of a huge upset, then your keeper pulls one of those, then you really know hatred! All that work just to see it screwed up by something that should not happen.

Complained about this for the last 2 or 3 releases, I really wish they would just remove it.

Wait until your team has defended greatly for 84 minutes and you are close to pulling of a huge upset, then your keeper pulls one of those, then you really know hatred! All that work just to see it screwed up by something that should not happen.

Complained about this for the last 2 or 3 releases, I really wish they would just remove it.

Damn! So I didn't overlook something. :mad:

Seems a bit silly, but on the positive side if the AI can score from those situations it means I can too, right?

Damn! So I didn't overlook something. :mad:

Seems a bit silly, but on the positive side if the AI can score from those situations it means I can too, right?

Indeed you can, if you are like me you will not take much satisfaction from winning a game from a goal of this type.

In FM14 I seen 4 or 5 of these goals in 1 season in my team, a couple for and a couple against, everytime it annoyed the hell out of me.

Like I said, I wish they would just remove it from the game.

Indeed you can, if you are like me you will not take much satisfaction from winning a game from a goal of this type.

In FM14 I seen 4 or 5 of these goals in 1 season in my team, a couple for and a couple against, everytime it annoyed the hell out of me.

Like I said, I wish they would just remove it from the game.

I agree.

Time for it to be removed or at least give us the option on who we want to take our defensive free kicks, when they're outside the box.

There is still an issue with the badges. That's at least mildly frustrating.

This would probably make a lot more sense if you mentioned what the issue was. The other option is to report it, if it hasn't been already.

Played the game for a couple of days and 2 major problems

The number of goals from crosses and near post corners is just unbelievably ridiculous, i dread corners being given away as no matter what routine i try to implement they go in from a near poist header. same with free kicks. I have no power over this and its incredibly frustrating. Almost makes the game unplayable

My rotation and backup players constantly demanding first team football, sorry this is a bug, definitely needs sorting.

The match engine just has a feel around it that its not finished and needs more work, it feels unpredicatable and just rushed. I feel like i have very little influence over the match outcome.

It's been logged several times.

Oh, you mean COACHING badges. That additional word makes a big difference. If you can add more examples, I'm sure it would be appreciated. If it has been logged they will fix it.

I agree.

Time for it to be removed or at least give us the option on who we want to take our defensive free kicks, when they're outside the box.

If you and daylight can upload examples to the Bugs Forum, it would be very helpful. A couple of people have uploaded examples, that's all.

EDIT - Thread is here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/408459-Reviewed-Goalkeepere-Free-kick

Oh, you mean COACHING badges. That additional word makes a big difference. If you can add more examples, I'm sure it would be appreciated. If it has been logged they will fix it.

Yeah, sorry if I was unclear. I'm sure they have enough evidence of this as many has logged it already. It's not really a game breaker for me, just a matter of frustration.

I feel like i have very little influence over the match outcome.

Well if you added zonal markers to the 6-yard box, you'd defend corners a lot better, so you have a big influence on the outcome just in that one area alone.

Played the game for a couple of days and 2 major problems

The number of goals from crosses and near post corners is just unbelievably ridiculous, i dread corners being given away as no matter what routine i try to implement they go in from a near poist header. same with free kicks. I have no power over this and its incredibly frustrating. Almost makes the game unplayable

My rotation and backup players constantly demanding first team football, sorry this is a bug, definitely needs sorting.

The match engine just has a feel around it that its not finished and needs more work, it feels unpredicatable and just rushed. I feel like i have very little influence over the match outcome.

1) Goals from crosses are more than should be , it's known and hopefully worked on (btw my opinion is that the problem is that generally the play is moved too much to the wings, not simply the amount of goals from crosses. Seems that players in the midfield tend to move the ball to the wings far too often)

2) For corners have at least 2 players zonal marking the 6 yard box.

3)The engine isn't unpredictable or random at all and you can certainly influence what's happening otherwise people wouldn't have amazing successes or tremendous failures, they'd just have a random course over each season.

I don't know if this is a bug or not or if it has even been brought up, but i can't save a new tactic. I mean i can save it via on the game but in my tactics folder instead of lets say 4-2-3-1.tac i get this 4-2-3-1_D58CD564-1AC2-4CD8-A981-1F57525F9656.fmf

But i am using LFCMarshall's FM15 Starter Update (15.11.14) could that be the issue?

3)The engine isn't unpredictable or random at all and you can certainly influence what's happening otherwise people wouldn't have amazing successes or tremendous failures, they'd just have a random course over each season.

Sorry this isnt the first incarnation of this game I have played, its been three years since i bought one so i appreciate that things move on. the point i am trying to make is that I have played this before and generally i do know how to counter things, I am sitting 7th in the table so I am not doing too badly, its just the extra 5% of control and influence that turns a good game into a great one. the point of random course of action is whats happening, bottom of the league scoring 3 near post headers from corners and then 1 from a free kick. I do have the zonal marking in place. Thats just one example, it happens a lot.

I don't know if this is a bug or not or if it has even been brought up, but i can't save a new tactic. I mean i can save it via on the game but in my tactics folder instead of lets say 4-2-3-1.tac i get this 4-2-3-1_D58CD564-1AC2-4CD8-A981-1F57525F9656.fmf

But i am using LFCMarshall's FM15 Starter Update (15.11.14) could that be the issue?

And a new one ive just seen.

Im playing as Liverpool and just setting up my tactics after starting a new game and while setting up my goalkeepers, there are two player NOT IN MY TEAM (John O' Shea and Rahavi Kifoueti) on any player in this position list. Again i am using LFCMarshall's FM15 Starter Update (15.11.14)

2014-11-21_00001_zps7812e2d4.jpg

EDIT

i there are more player not in my team in all other positions while im setting up my players instructions:confused:

Hi guys,

I have started my first season with FM2015 and i am very dissapointed with the default skin!

I am so disappointed that maybe I will not play anymore FM15. So i just wanted to share this discussion with you, probably i am not the only one.

The main reason for my dissatisfaction with the default skin (i can't find some thirdparty skin that can fix this) is because of Main Header (checkout screenshot):

1.jpg

And how I want it to look:

2.jpg

It is screenshot from FM2009.. It gives me an atmosphere of true, real ..

Okay, you can make it even more better than this from FM2009, but it is just an example what i wanted to say.

You have to make an interface that will offer more space for club colors. Just as it was in FM2009, a great example!

Is is just me or are set pieces too easy for the opposition to score from?

As usual I concentrate on defending set pieces before every game, but I am still conceding from corners/free kicks almost every game.

Surely if I work on defending them before every game, my defenders (who are all top rated) should be pretty good at defending them. Or am I asking too much?

Players animation is still at times very poor, standing still while the ball is at their feet and doing nothing, just standing not even attempting to kick it. Also diving about whenever someone tackles them, it's like there's a sniper in the stands and the speeding up/slowing down when running either with or without the ball, makes a farce of players with high speed/acceleration when a slower player catches them with ease.

Archived