FM15 - Fulham FC - Craven Success - Time for a homegrown Cottage industry?

Welcome to the Fulham FC team guide thread

Fulham-FC-icon.png

-------------------------------------------------------

aa28b825df58b074036345a12145ccba.png

Fulham St Andrew's

The Club was born when a school teacher and churchwarden formed a team for local boys at Fulham St Andrew’s Church in 1879. Although cricket initially took the priority, seven years later, the team won their first silverware, the West London Amateur Cup, beating St Matthew's 2-1 in the Final.

New name, new home

In outgrowing its origins the Club's title was shortened to Fulham Football Club in January 1889, meaning the original nickname of the Saints had to be dropped.

As results improved and progress was made, we also found ourselves a new home – moving from park pitches, pub changing rooms and a groundshare with Wasps Rugby Club to a seven-acre site located on the north bank of the Thames.

Craven Cottage

In 1896, after two years of development, the Club finally took residence in their new home – one that would not only match our ambitions but also offer a more secure foundation to move forward.

Fulham won their first home game too, beating Minerva 4-0 in the Middlesex Senior Cup, and very quickly the symbolic relationship between Club and ground was forged. To this day, few clubs can claim to be more synonymous with its home.

Cottage 1923.jpg?w=690&h=200

Onwards and upwards

Having gained professional status on 12th December 1898, Fulham rose from the Southern League divisions to reach the national Football League in September 1907.In our first season we would finish fourth and just short of promotion from Division Two, although we did reach the Semi-Finals of the FA Cup, as we would again in 1936. It may have taken us a little while to reach the top division, but promotion to Division One was finally secured for the 1949/50 season as Fulham went up as Division Two champions.

The 50s and 60s

After struggling to adjust to the step up, Fulham finished bottom of the First Division at the end of the 1951/52 campaign. We had to wait seven seasons for a return, although the Semi-Finals of the FA Cup were reached for a third time in 1958.

With that momentum, the Club pushed on and made it back to the top for the 1959/60 season to usher in what is largely considered as one of the most exciting eras in Fulham’s history.

The Club would spend nine seasons in the top flight (our longest spell outside of the Barclays Premier League years), thanks largely to a wonderfully talented group that included the great Johnny Haynes, Tony Macedo, George Cohen, Jim Langley, Alan Mullery, Bobby Robson, Graham Leggat, Fred Callaghan and Rodney Marsh.

NorthamptonTown24Fulham23rdApril1966.jpg?w=690&h=200

Wembley heroes

Having slipped down to Division Three by the 1969/70 season, the FA Cup Final was the unprecedented highlight of the 1970s. Having reached the Semi-Final for a fourth time in 1962, Fulham finally made the Wembley showpiece in May 1975 after a staggering 11-game run (a never-to-be-beaten record of most games en-route to the final) that included six replays.

Then a Division Two club, Fulham would meet Division One West Ham United in the final – a match that would sadly end in a 2-0 defeat. However, against all the odds we had finally got to the Final and in going close the side, led by Captain Mullery, would be remembered for many years to come.

Darker days

While a number of high-profile players like Bobby Moore and George Best had joined during the mid to late 1970s, promotion back to the top division had still proved elusive.

As the Club bobbed up and down between the second and third tier, Malcolm Macdonald's young side of the early 1980s did offer a moment of hope only to be denied on the final day of the 1982/83 campaign.

Mounting financial pressures followed and as a result the majority of the Club's key players were sold as Fulham again dropped to Division Three. In 1987 the situation worsened and the Club came dangerously close to extinction. Only the intervention of a group led by ex-player Jimmy Hill just about kept Fulham in business.

Form continued to wane out on the pitch, and by the end of the 1995/96 season we recorded our worst ever league finish in ending the campaign 17th out of 24 in Division Three.

Rising from the ashes

Former player Micky Adams would help steer the Club out of danger when he took control of Team affairs in March 1996 with Fulham occupying 91st spot in the football pyramid. With confidence improved and the squad strengthened (albeit on a very small budget), the Team started the 1996/97 campaign in positive fashion and never really looked back achieving promotion with four games to spare. Fulham’s ascent was under way.

The Al Fayed Era

Mohamed Al Fayed took control of the Club in the summer of 1997 and on his arrival promised top-flight football within five years. The revolution began with the appointment of Kevin Keegan and the funding of Club record signings Paul Peschisolido (£1.1m) and Chris Coleman (£2.1m).

Very quickly Al Fayed’s Fulham blazed a trail through the lower divisions and even knocked Aston Villa and Southampton out of cup competitions. The Whites were crowned Division Two champions in May 1999 but Keegan’s success came at a price as he was headhunted for the post of England manager. After a brief period of juggling both roles, he was replaced by Paul Bracewell at Craven Cottage.

Despite a bright start, the 1999/2000 campaign proved a frustrating one for Bracewell who was then replaced by Jean Tigana.

2001champions.jpg?w=690&h=200

The Barclays Premier League years

The Chairman’s five-year plan was achieved in four as Fulham returned to the top flight as Division One champions after a 33 year absence. The Whites were off the top spot for just two weeks throughout the 2000/01 campaign. In the process they also shattered Nationwide League records for the most wins (30), fewest defeats (5), highest points total (101), best goal difference (58) and highest individual scorer (Louis Saha 27).

We were to finish a respectable 13th in our debut Barclays Premier League season, a campaign that was made even more memorable when the Club was offered the chance to take part in the Intertoto Cup in the summer of 2002. As a result, Fulham would go on to lift the trophy when beating Bologna 5-3 in a two-legged Final, before reaching the UEFA Cup Third Round.

An indifferent 2002/03 domestic campaign saw former player Coleman appointed as Manager with five games remaining, and the Welshman would help steer Fulham to safety by taking 10 points from a possible 15.

With league guidelines dictating that Craven Cottage must be an all-seater stadium ahead of the 2001/02 season, Fulham would leave their temporary Loftus Road abode to make a triumphant return to a transformed home for the 2003/04 campaign – a year that also saw the Club celebrate its 125th anniversary. Fulham went on to achieve a new highest-league placing of ninth, despite the record sale of Saha to Manchester United for £12m.

A Clint Dempsey goal in a 1-0 defeat of Liverpool would save Fulham from the drop with one game of the 2006/07 season remaining, as Manager Lawrie Sanchez (who replaced Coleman in April 2007) helped guide the Team to safety. Despite considerable backing, Sanchez was unable to ignite his charges during the following campaign with Roy Hodgson installed as our fourth Premier League Manager in December 2007.

With that appointment, Fulham’s ‘Great Escape’ began and a remarkable turnaround in results prompted a stunning end-of-season revival which saw the Club beat the drop with just 14 minutes of the season remaining.

In Hodgson’s first full season in charge, Fulham would record their most successful season at the top, finishing seventh and guaranteeing European football for the following term.

Improbably improving on the fabulous 2008/09 season, Fulham became the toast of Europe as they disposed of UEFA Cup holders Shakhtar Donetsk, Italian giants Juventus, German champions VfL Wolfsburg and Hamburger SV in a stunning journey to the inaugural UEFA Europa League Final – where only a heart-breaking late extra-time winner by Atletico Madrid denied the Club a fairytale win.

In August 2010, Mark Hughes succeeded Hodgson as Manager and the Club achieved another top 10 Premier League finish, ending the 2010/11 campaign in eighth place. An exemplary disciplinary record also earned a spot in the Europa League qualifying places.

Following the sudden departure of Hughes, Martin Jol was installed as Manager in July 2011. With a shift in philosophy, Fulham adopted a more attack-minded, free-flowing style – which yielded the very memorable 6-0 rout of West London rivals Queens Park Rangers.

Impressive defeats of Arsenal at the Cottage and Liverpool at Anfield followed as Fulham enjoyed a prosperous second half of the 2011/12 season and recorded a third top 10 finish in four years in claiming ninth spot.

The 2012/13 campaign began well enough as Fulham sat top of the table after an opening day thrashing of Norwich City 5-0, but the remainder of the season was plagued by inconsistency.

Following the Whites’ thrilling 3-2 victory over QPR on 1st April, only four more points were gained (a draw at Aston Villa and win at Swansea City on the final day) as Fulham had to settle for a 12th-placed finish in the Premier League.

That form continued into the new season. Despite a narrow opening day triumph at Sunderland, Martin Jol’s men found themselves in the relegation zone come November, with a 3-0 defeat at West Ham United proving to be the Dutchman’s last game in charge.

He was replaced by René Meulensteen who had been brought in to assist his compatriot. Performances did improve but the team continued to struggle for consistency, as emphasised by the Christmas period which saw an impressive 2-1 win at Norwich followed up by a 6-0 hammering by Hull City.

Meulensteen won his following game against West Ham on New Year’s Day, but was relieved of his duties on Valentine’s Day with Fulham languishing in 20th position.

Highly rated German manager Felix Magath was the man brought in and tasked with pulling off another ‘Great Escape’ and he came close to making the perfect start only for a late goal to earn West Bromwich Albion a point in a 1-1 draw at The Hawthorns.

Three wins in five games towards the end of the campaign gave fans hope, but relegation was confirmed on the penultimate weekend of the season when our 4-1 defeat by Stoke City, coupled with relegation rivals Sunderland’s shock win at Old Trafford, meant it was mathematically impossible to survive.

9ac62ff5e8b30480bc8db439ddb15c1d.png

Team Name: Fulham FC

Nickname: The Cottagers

Year Founded: 1879

Chairman: Shahid Khan

Current Manager: Kit Symons (caretaker)

Club Captain: Scott Parker

Vice Captain: Dan Burn

League: Sky Bet Championship

Media Prediction: 3rd

Fierce Rivals: QPR (local), Chelsea (local)

Other Rivals: Brentford (local)

Legends: Mohammed Al-Fayed, Johnny Haynes

Icons: Simon Morgan, George Cohen, Brian Mcbride, Gordon Davies, Ray Lewington, Micky Adams, John Pantsil

Favoured Personnel: Chris Coleman, Roy Hodgson, Brede Hangeland

993d0a02b07460d7afd343ed27608124.png

8e646cd7e1ea957ee2047bc52de9ab6b.png

Stadium_history_01.jpg?w=622&h=278

Capacity: 25700 all seater

Year Built: 1896

Condition: Average

Under soil heating: Yes

Roof: No

Pitch Dimensions:100m x 68m

Corporate Facilities: Average

Training Facilities: Great

Youth Facilities: Great

Youth Level: 1

Youth Recruitment: Above Average

Junior Coaching: Good

7bb23163c695b1e4e09befb013947287.png

Finances: Rich

Estimated Value: £85M (Loan Debt: £12.75M)

Avg Ticket Price: £30

Avg Season Ticket: £505

Season Ticket Holders: 15,500

eab5e8b482f0e082ff736bc841248e0c.png

7274270455c9fe95db4f188c613d9c20.png

Which can be adjusted to suit expectations above play-offs

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49869385ff01f22e85d190af8a659ac6.png

Boardroom

Chairman: Shahid Khan

Managing Director: Alistair Mackintosh

Director: Mark Lamping

Director: Sean O'Loughlin

Coaches

Under 21's manager: Kit Symons

Under 18's manager: Kevin Keen

Head of youth dev: Huw Jennings

Under 21's Gk: Martin Brennan

Under 18's Gk: Vic Bettinelli

Chief Scout: Malcom Elias

Head Physio: Mark Taylor

dae73d4eb4b8735d26c5e758a223ca64.png

(click on the player photo's for profiles)

Goalkeepers:

6fd4b6027676dbf9699bcdf98420584b.png4ee2c42aa8c20d2c3759d9401b177d2d.png948cbf4998307bd7616ec110f6c657e5.png

Not the sides strongest area by any means.

Kiraly is good, but is aging fast and can't keep pace.

Joronen is young and raw and is backup at best first season.

Bettinelli is sitting in the reserves on the game and should be promoted to the first team as backup, he has potential to grow too.

Defence:

CB's:

898e2175213937e86188670e8fc215e8.pngab7ed88e42459413914fc9f57aa32b79.pngd8e3d21ec82787fe644a12a23d414601.pngbec683f745814f38eaf1cc2a0793b766.png

Not in bad shape really.

Amorebieta brings a wealth of experience to the side and is a very capable, if not very mobile, center back, high wages though.

Burn should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Big, strong and room to grow.

The other two are merely backup material and you may want to invest in this area, although the reserves holds an unpolished gem is Casasola, who you may wish to promote.

Fullbacks:

621a4b38a8afd0063e42ae9427a35d88.png670a240e4b68036aba4f85ebfd23aa3c.png4b95ab17d942d0324a0cc08a186372a0.png30be9146081752e08951d377f1946852.png

Hoogland is a capable defensive RB, but might not be suited to the modern attacking style Fulham will probably want to play.

Stafylidis is on loan, but is the best fullback in the squad, sign him up ASAP if you can.

Voser and Zverotic are good backup o have, but are also possibles for sale if needed.

I am furious this isn't done yet. YOU HAD ONE JOB... last time I ever give you a thread, ever!

Seriously though, I no doubt will be starting as Fulham at some point in the future. So many teams I want to be at the moment...

I'm playing with my local team, Fulham.

1st season : promotion via playoffs, it was hard but we did it.

2nd season : 6th of Premier League, big surprise. The first 6 mouths were very difficult but I changed the tactic and the team became unbeatable.

The squad.

1414543806-capture-d-ecran-2014-10-29-a-00-49-05.png

Patrick Roberts, the beast.

1414543806-capture-d-ecran-2014-10-29-a-00-49-11.png

Lucas Melano, revelation of the season (bought for 6M€)

1414543806-capture-d-ecran-2014-10-29-a-00-49-15.png

I'm playing with my local team, Fulham.

1st season : promotion via playoffs, it was hard but we did it.

2nd season : 6th of Premier League, big surprise. The first 6 mouths were very difficult but I changed the tactic and the team became unbeatable.

The squad.

1414543806-capture-d-ecran-2014-10-29-a-00-49-05.png

Patrick Roberts, the beast.

1414543806-capture-d-ecran-2014-10-29-a-00-49-11.png

Lucas Melano, revelation of the season (bought for 6M€)

1414543806-capture-d-ecran-2014-10-29-a-00-49-15.png

Able to stick up your transfer history? Was wondering who you bought/sold in the 1st season.

Season 4 transfers.

1415105722-capture-d-ecran-2014-11-04-a-12-54-17.png

Lots of recruits. I hope that Giussepe Rossi won't be to much injured this season. The majority of players bought were on transfert list (Papadopoulos, Chabolah) or in end of contract (Khedira's brother, Denis Suarez, Rossi) so lots of good bargains. Also I recruited a few regens to prepare the future.

Unfortunately my best striker, Lucas Melano had a 22M€ clause and ManCity triggered its.

1415105723-capture-d-ecran-2014-11-04-a-12-54-25.png

Patrick Roberts is staying at Fulham FC despite offers from Manchester United or Chelsea. He's without a doubt our best player.

1415105725-capture-d-ecran-2014-11-04-a-12-54-39.png

1415105723-capture-d-ecran-2014-11-04-a-12-54-44.png

Hi, Guys!

Started my Fulham save a couple of weeks ago.

I always look to create a young british core to my teams, so I decided to sell some of the older high paid players like Ruiz and Rodallega.

1st Season Transfers:

Transfers_TransferHistory_zps692ab0e6.png

Very happy with my first season. Won the Championship playning mainly a 4-3-3 formation with short passing.

Best line-up would look somthing like this:

GK(d): B.Amos

CWB(a): A.Matthews

CB(d):M.Keane

CB(d): D.Burn

WB(s): K.Stafyladis

DM(d): S.Parker

RPM(s): E.Hyndman

CM(a): C.David

W(s): P.Roberts

IF(a): G.Williams

DLF(s): C.Woodrow

SkyBetChampionship_OverviewStages_zpsa8d3f6f2.png

Fulham has a lot of talents and I decided to give them a lot of time on the pitch.

The guys rewarded me with some good performences. G.Williams had a great season and became our top goal scorer with 21 goals as an IF(Att).

Woodrow, Dembele, Roberts, Hyndman, C.Davies, Burn, Lingard, Vigen and Casasola all got lots of time on the pitch and deliverd.

To guide the youngsters, "grand old man" and captain S.Parker.

So, 2nd season.

I have identified CM as our weakest department on the pitch, so bringing in a class CM was my priority.

Decided to go for W.Hughes for £12M. Also made a big investment in J.Rhodes as we need a consistent goalscorer.

Delighted to pick up M.Richards and Blackett on free transfers as well:)

Transfers_TransferHistory-2_zpsb81e0b73.png

Tactically I have changed to a 4-4-1-1 formation which appears to work perfectly!

Still playing short passing, high pressing controlling game.

Tactics_OverviewOverview_zpsae8e891f.png

So things are looking very good at the moment. Approaching the christmas period and we sit 2nd in the Premier League!

EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewProfile_zps5825bf72.png

Looks like you are doing very well, clemB. I will be extremely pleased if I manage to copy that 6th place finish by the end of season 2. How did you do In the 3rd season?

1415367369-capture-d-ecran-2014-11-07-a-13-35-58.png

Last season was a disaster ah ah. Here my squad for the season 5. I sold many players, exit Robert Zieler, Giussepe Rossi (what a flop!), Denis Suarez (back to Barcelona, 15M€ plus value), Rani Khedira, Papastopoulos, Dele Alli. Too many foreign players, i am now trying to build a more british team.

1415367536-capture-d-ecran-2014-11-07-a-13-36-58.png

Started a Fulham save... got off to a really bad start and was 13th after 9 games but I created a new formation and have won 8 out of 9 and drew the other 1-1 which has put me joint 2nd

Only signings i've made are Jack Grealish on loan and Dele Alli from Mk Dons

Playing with Fulham on the demo (as a try before you buy) and Genoa have offered £3m upfront for Marcello Trotta in August.

Now I am fond of Trotta as I played with Brentford and he was a very vital player for me getting to the premier league and performed well there but Its hard to say no the £3m! Does anyone know how good he turns out to be?

Is this thread going to get finished anytime soon?? Started off quality as id expect from Welshace but its been 2 weeks now! Although good to see people posting. WHat have people been doing with Ruiz and Rodallega? Selling or keeping?

Won promotion first season with Fulham with 3 games to go

Had a norwegian revolution and brought in berntsen, Lundemo, Bangaard and reginiussen

Got forced into selling Dembele one night when i accidentally transfer listed him instead of offering for loan then PSG came in with a 3mill bid which i rejected but he 'wanted champions cup football'

there was no amc in my formation so retrained Ruiz to st as a false 9 and he banged in 24, let Rodallega go to nottingham forest

I'm now in my second season and brought in Richards, Hughes and balanta along with bringing back Briggs as lb back up, Current record is P4 W4 with 0 goals conceded including a 2-0 win at the etihad!

Is this thread going to get finished anytime soon?? Started off quality as id expect from Welshace but its been 2 weeks now! Although good to see people posting. WHat have people been doing with Ruiz and Rodallega? Selling or keeping?

Apologies! Real life got in the way.. will finish the second I get an hour or so..

Glad to see a few playing though.. seems like they are a cracking team to play as..

I've been keeping Ruiz ( sign him up to a new contract sharpish) and selling Rodallega ( not needed and valuable in terms of wage saved and 2 million odd into the kitty).

Hey guys, I've done a little bit more on the OP, and will look to complete it ASAP.

I'm about to start a new save with Fulham now the game has been updated to a decent playable level and will update you all as I go :)

I hope to see the thread busier once the OP is complete and others start joining in.

Glad we have a proper thread again this year, missed indulging myself in a world where we are actually a brilliant team!!!

Just finished my first season as the mighty whites, absolutely stormed to the title with very little in the way of opposition (shame that isn't happening IRL)

teoKu5.png

It was largely down to some huge performances from some bargain bin players.

Miroslav Stevanovic being the first. Ended up as the championship player of the season, brilliant from a free signing with reasonable wages (14k off the top of my head)

xLWFc9.pngUMIrN3.png

Simon Thern was another cut price wonder. Slotted into the midfield 3 seamlessly and took very little time to get bedded in.

4j7DT5.png

Ross McCormack also came through big and lead the championship scoring with 21 and got the golden boot (albeit by one goal) however he did suffer a couple of 3 - 4 week injuries, and given the championship schedule meant he missed a fair number of games.

7ptV72.png

Patrick Roberts also contributed in a big way, winning the young player of the year, even though I felt I could've given him a lot more playing time than I actually did.

OB7Rge.png

I played a 4-3-3 formation and especially towards the start it was very much a score one more than the opponents type of deal. Having said that by christmas we were seemingly unstoppable with only Derby keeping pace (and they imploded at the end of the season, dropping from 2nd to 3rd and then losing in the playoff semi's after a 6 game losing streak!!!). Our dominance was reflected in the team of the year too!!

Lnqicd.png

Heres my full transfer history to give a bit more insight. Gil Romero came in January after the board injected some money (seemed random i don't know if anyone else has had this, I had some money in the kitty but it rose to around 13m which seems a bit steep?)

VG9c2S.png

Looking forward to going into my first season back in the prem. Already secured the signings of Peruzzi, Tielmans (very excited) and Pione Sisto, as well as bringing in stafylidis permanently with a view to maybe bringing in a striker although Woodrow did well off the bench in the last season. Im cautious to rely on him and Dembele as back up to mcCormack (deserve a run in the prem IRL & in game) plus the illusive Mitroglu returns after a decent season with olympiacos.

One thing I will say about the first season and maybe some of you guys can shed some light. Amorbietta and Chihi lead some kind of dressing room revolution complaining non stop about everything (admittedly I wasn't giving chihi the time of day but Amorebietta played a decent number of games) and both being present at every meeting involving incidents with other players. Wondering if my man management skills are awful or if this is more common in this years game?

Hey, Finally found an hour or two to get going...

Will speed through this opening post and update it later!

Transfers:

2213bab463715bca59f5969595fa2924.png

Particularly happy with Lucas and Sane really.. both aren't my usual go-to players, but both are immense, especially given the next to nothing fee for Sane and the free transfer of Lucas...

Here's a few screenies for those who don't know them:

Lucas Rios Marques

16f30dffd72874e952f2cb1eead55b65.png

Sane:

ef2e6e4dd3b4488e111105dc60b4569c.png

Sane was bought in mainly as cover but he also provides that pace and aggression that my other CB's don't really have in their lockers, which is good.

Lucas is a star.. no doubt about it, I predict he'll be high on my assist tables by the end of the season from my RB position.

I realise some might not know Lepiller either.. so here he is:

8aae604592e07614da6e2ff8d95e55f9.png

Again, on a free, and again, he provides something different. Definitely a pure inside forward/wide playmaker, he's very right footed and plays on the left, meaning having him cutting in and taking shots is a must, he was great in a previous save I tried him on.. set piece specialist too..

I'm planning on lining up like this mostly:

d21c674887d918981c89d2a12bb73fc2.png

Will happily provide screenies or more info for anyone who wants it.... and will update once I've got a fair bit through the first season, which I predict will be a doddle with the squad at hand.

Unlucky there ClemB.

I'm surprised more people ain't having a go with Fulham.

How are you lot planning your saves, you staying with Fulham and trying to win the league and Europe, or you using them as a stepping stone?

My next save will be FUlham, probably after the next update, I fancy building a young team and taking them up to the top.

Wouldn't mind improving the stadium and youth facilities while on the way.

Unsure wether it will be a journeyman kind of save, or if I'll stay with them and try to make them the best team in the EPL.

What sort of rules/targets would you set around a Fulham save?

I'm unsure wether to use them as a journeyman save, to start off, then move on. Or, stay with them for like 15-20 seasons and make them the best English team around.