Journeyman save database size?

What database size do you use in a longterm/journeyman save?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What database size do you use in a longterm/journeyman save?

• Small
    • Medium
    • Large
    • Other

I love doing journeyman saves and generally play for quite a long time 20-30+ seasons in alot of countries and leagues and have always used a large database with the thinking of the more players the better chance to find someone useful.

I usually run with something close to 10-12 countries, 30-40 leagues and roughly 100k players.

Notice; I'm used to playing with a estimated game speed of 1/2 to 1 star and dont have any problems with this so this is not a question about whats faster I'm just interested in what gives the best possible gaming environment in the long run.

Now to the question, from reading posts on this forum I have noticed more and more people mentioning a smaller database size and more countries/leagues might be better in the long run due to there simply being too many players for the leagues loaded in a large database leading to it being harder and harder to unload players. And the counter point then being with a smaller database there will be more movement of players between both teams in the same country but also over the borders.

So the question is for everyone who play long time saves, what database sizes do you use and if possible a post about what your reasoning behind it is. Have you noticed what I'm trying to describe above or do you have completely different reasons?

Thank you in advance for your votes and comments!

I go custom and load one whole portion of Europe, depending on my character's nationality, e.g if I make an Italian manager I will load central Europe, a Greek manager southern Europe etc

I'm going to be going Small database but English, Scottish, Irish, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, MLS leagues playable (only top 2 leagues for non UK countries) with a few others on view only like Belgium, Portugal, Russia, Turkey, Brazil (might do playable too if stars don't go below 2 stars). I'm inclined to agree with the large database transfer problem.

I'll be LLMing with this in Vanarama Conference BTW.

A bit hard to draw too much of a conclusion from 3 posts but so far large database seems to be the most used option according to the votes but it there might be some merit to the idea about smaller database being a good option.

Thank you for your comments/votes so far and please keep them coming!

I'm interested in any experiences with either size :)

Also curious as I'd like to load some more obscure leagues this year without compromising game speed.

I normally load ~15 European nations (2 leagues per nation) on a large database. Almost impossible to get a job this way without starting with at least a semi-professional rep. Think I'm going to try more leagues, sunday league rep, and a smaller database this year. Really want to include North America, South America, Asia, etc.

I'm gonna give this another try on the front page hoping for some more comments!

So far large database is in a clear lead according to the votes but would love some more comments/discussion on the differences and if anyone has noticed a difference in transfer markets with different sizes.

So please comment! :D

Terrible choices by a lot of people here.

You should pick your database size to match the number of leagues selected. If you only select a small number of leagues you should be selecting a small database, if you select a lot of leagues 30+ then there is often less difference in terms of number of players loaded which makes it less important but small is still a good choice.

Picking a large database can cause a number of gameplay problems which people have complained about on the forums over the last few years such as transfer issues, players retiring, lots of unemployed players etc.

Custom with around 80k Players (Euro top 8 countries with all levels playable, Mexico and Brazil playable, and then all current international players for all continents)

Archived