Sports Interactive Community
bluebirds4life

Out of interest, Does anybody enjoy Press Conferences?

I do them all myself. For me FM isn't always about fun, it's more about immersion. I always play VLLM so maybe the frequency is more bearable for me.

I fully understand the complaints but even in real life they're incredibly boring unless you're called Van Gaal, Mourinho or Trappatoni.

After a single season, you deal with almost all types of questions; so then it is boring. hope it won't be same in FM16..

I do them all myself. For me FM isn't always about fun, it's more about immersion. I always play VLLM so maybe the frequency is more bearable for me.

I fully understand the complaints but even in real life they're incredibly boring unless you're called Van Gaal, Mourinho or Trappatoni.

You must at least fun playing the game. Your immersion to the gmae, is what makes fun playing this game. Trust me, when I say, that if you would have fun with the game I would barelly touch it.

I just send AM to deal with it. But been nearly 8 months since i play full fat game.

After a single season, you deal with almost all types of questions; so then it is boring. hope it won't be same in FM16..

The answers to the same questions aren't always the same though. I answer the same questions differently depending on context.

The answers to the same questions aren't always the same though. I answer the same questions differently depending on context.

I did not say the answers for the questions are always same; but questions. So when I see starts of questions, it is easy to select answer through one look without reading details. If the questions vary (through the years, players, events, etc), it won't be same.

I did not say the answers for the questions are always same; but questions. So when I see starts of questions, it is easy to select answer through one look without reading details. If the questions vary (through the years, players, events, etc), it won't be same.

There are only so many ways to ask the same question, so it doesn't matter too much, imo. I also know what they're asking just from reading the first part of the question, but my answers vary. I don't mind that I know very quickly what they're asking. It saves time.

There are only so many ways to ask the same question, so it doesn't matter too much, imo. I also know what they're asking just from reading the first part of the question, but my answers vary. I don't mind that I know very quickly what they're asking. It saves time.

you describe it as "time saving" - but others posted here describe it "boring, repetitive"; so current one does not make sensation after get used to questions.

you describe it as "time saving" - but others posted here describe it "boring, repetitive"; so current one does not make sensation after get used to questions.

Time saving on reading the questions, yes, but I put thought into what I answer. The boring/repetitive crowd answer the same way each time.

I'm part of that crowd and I answer differently depending on the context; doesn't make it any less boring for me as the questions are the same and often completely out of context (see my previous post).

Interesting thread and it confirms what the stats tell us; that it's a marmite feature. Some people love it, some people don't want to go near it.

With all due respect, I think this is delusional.

I have read the thread and and I can't find ANYONE who 'loves it'. The evidence in this thread indicates there is a small minority who tolerate it, and none of the defenders admit to actually loving the feature.

I have read the thread and and I can't find ANYONE who 'loves it'. The evidence in this thread indicates there is a small minority who tolerate it, and none of the defenders admit to actually loving the feature.

OP's question was "does anyone enjoy it?" People can definitely enjoy it (as I do) without being referred to as a defender, thanks.

And definitely do not refer to other posters as delusional. Will not tell you again.

sorry but why are some moderators too hard to your guests (members here)?? It got my attention that people from SI are a lot more kind than some of you. People can make intentional or unintentional mistakes. I think you must tolerate them since they are the reason you moderate the forum here. As an old moderator of a big community wanted to share my ideas. This is a friendly place - so it is not good to use harsh and threatening expressions such as "will not tell you again". Come one, just tell people their mistakes and warn them in a polite way to let them to continue loving the game & the company.

It comes down to this essentially:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370304-Failure-to-Read-or-Follow-House-Rules?p=9157726#post9157726

Although we appreciate constructive criticism, when a new game is released we've often seen destructive criticism and personal insults aimed at SI staff and the forum moderating team and this simply cannot be tolerated. This form of criticism not only spreads false information about game development, but poisons the forum experience for all our users, including those employed by SI. These forums are intended to be a source of help and information to SI's consumer base, and this purpose is obscured when team members have to spend inordinate lengths of time defending themselves against snipes, insults, deliberate falsehoods, prejudiced misinterpretations and destructive attacks on their integrity and ability.

We feel that certain users' posts over-step the mark in terms of the above and therefore we have procedures to address this. We understand that our community is incredibly passionate about the game and very much wants every new incarnation of Football Manager to be our best. We as a developer share that – we want FM to be the best Football Management experience our users have ever encountered.

We really do value constructive feedback. The game simply wouldn’t be what it is today without the huge amount of support, feedback and suggestions we’ve received over the years. It’s just when users overstep the line, including personal attacks on SI employees and moderators and a plethora of posts which seem intended to start arguments rather than generate constructive critical debate, we have to take stronger action. We would love to become more engaged with our forums, but feel that the current climate is preventing that from being an achievable goal. Therefore if anyone posts in a manner which is continually disrespectful, either to the developers, moderators or other users they will be banned.

At no point is there any need in any debate to refer to anyone's posts as delusional. Such posting styles are always given short shrift around here, and there really is no excuse for it, in the past we've been lenient on it and sadly that led less to less and less people willing to post, and it's not something we want to go back to. We have done, and will continue to keep this a pleasant place to interact, both for users and SI staff who take the time to come and post in here. I hope that clears it up and we will move on from it.

I love it...

But it can improve just like any other feature in the game.

I definitely wouldn't call it my favorite feature of the game, but one thing that I like about FM is that it tries (arguably) to run as a simulator, and press conferences are a fact of managerial life, so I can appreciate them from that perspective. To a point, managers get asked questions of essentially the same nature week in and week out anyway in real life.

I definitely wouldn't call it my favorite feature of the game, but one thing that I like about FM is that it tries (arguably) to run as a simulator, and press conferences are a fact of managerial life, so I can appreciate them from that perspective. To a point, managers get asked questions of essentially the same nature week in and week out anyway in real life.

I think it can definitely be better in picking out key points in the game a lot more. That would give it a lot more life and scope than adding more answers.

Although it might not change anybody's view of the press conferences, I believe it's important to think of them as the prelude to your next team-talk rather than a needless interaction. Plus it's a chance to needle Mourinho (well it is for me quite often, the bloke always seems to hate me), you can't miss out on that! ;)

I think it can definitely be better in picking out key points in the game a lot more. That would give it a lot more life and scope than adding more answers.

There's a few things like "so and so made a pretty bad mistake which cost a goal", etc. but definitely agree with you that I wish there'd be 15-20 more of these specifics that could be pointed out. That would honestly add a lot to the game because each match could have a bit more of an identity in the overall scheme of a season, and that's the kind of stuff that adds to the 'immersion'.

There's a few things like "so and so made a pretty bad mistake which cost a goal", etc. but definitely agree with you that I wish there'd be 15-20 more of these specifics that could be pointed out. That would honestly add a lot to the game because each match could have a bit more of an identity in the overall scheme of a season, and that's the kind of stuff that adds to the 'immersion'.

Exactly. It doesnt need masses more answers, it needs to pick on the context more. Easier said than done though

the effect on morale should be limited, in order to allow us more freedom instead of playing it safe to avoid consequences.

I would like to expand on this. I submit that press conferences as they are implemented in the game might suffer from a questionable assumption: that press conferences have an effect on morale. Do we really know that press conferences have such an effect on players as the game will have us to believe? Couldn't it be that the alleged effect is something that only exists in the world of pundits, media and fans – people with leisure who project psychological assumptions on the surface phenomena that they observe? Since I am not involved in the inner world of professional football, it is not possible for me to know what is the case. But I recommend a critical approach to how press conferences work in the game.

On a sidenote, I hope in the future to see the option of sending the assistant manager on courses in media handling, diplomacy and/or rhetorics, so as to neutralize or maximize moral effects on the team. Not sure if it is realistic, but it is what I must hope.

I would like to expand on this. I submit that press conferences as they are implemented in the game might suffer from a questionable assumption: that press conferences have an effect on morale. Do we really know that press conferences have such an effect on players as the game will have us to believe? Couldn't it be that the alleged effect is something that only exists in the world of pundits, media and fans – people with leisure who project psychological assumptions on the surface phenomena that they observe? Since I am not involved in the inner world of professional football, it is not possible for me to know what is the case. But I recommend a critical approach to how press conferences work in the game.

On a sidenote, I hope in the future to see the option of sending the assistant manager on courses in media handling, diplomacy and/or rhetorics, so as to neutralize or maximize moral effects on the team. Not sure if it is realistic, but it is what I must hope.

i can confirm that press conferences have great deal of influnece on players. in each country you have at least one sports paper that players, coaches, chairmen, everyone reads. interviews, press conferences and after match reports with player performance descriptions (that one is the favourite:D ). however not all players are equally affected by these. depends on each person. but yes, great majority follows and reads them.

I enjoy them but I wish they would have a much greater impact on things like team morale, the opponents team morale, and even on the board's perception of you. A wider variety of questions would definitely make it more fun.