Out of interest, Does anybody enjoy Press Conferences?

Although it might not change anybody's view of the press conferences, I believe it's important to think of them as the prelude to your next team-talk rather than a needless interaction. Plus it's a chance to needle Mourinho (well it is for me quite often, the bloke always seems to hate me), you can't miss out on that! ;)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a few things like "so and so made a pretty bad mistake which cost a goal", etc. but definitely agree with you that I wish there'd be 15-20 more of these specifics that could be pointed out. That would honestly add a lot to the game because each match could have a bit more of an identity in the overall scheme of a season, and that's the kind of stuff that adds to the 'immersion'.

Exactly. It doesnt need masses more answers, it needs to pick on the context more. Easier said than done though

the effect on morale should be limited, in order to allow us more freedom instead of playing it safe to avoid consequences.

I would like to expand on this. I submit that press conferences as they are implemented in the game might suffer from a questionable assumption: that press conferences have an effect on morale. Do we really know that press conferences have such an effect on players as the game will have us to believe? Couldn't it be that the alleged effect is something that only exists in the world of pundits, media and fans – people with leisure who project psychological assumptions on the surface phenomena that they observe? Since I am not involved in the inner world of professional football, it is not possible for me to know what is the case. But I recommend a critical approach to how press conferences work in the game.

On a sidenote, I hope in the future to see the option of sending the assistant manager on courses in media handling, diplomacy and/or rhetorics, so as to neutralize or maximize moral effects on the team. Not sure if it is realistic, but it is what I must hope.

I would like to expand on this. I submit that press conferences as they are implemented in the game might suffer from a questionable assumption: that press conferences have an effect on morale. Do we really know that press conferences have such an effect on players as the game will have us to believe? Couldn't it be that the alleged effect is something that only exists in the world of pundits, media and fans – people with leisure who project psychological assumptions on the surface phenomena that they observe? Since I am not involved in the inner world of professional football, it is not possible for me to know what is the case. But I recommend a critical approach to how press conferences work in the game.

On a sidenote, I hope in the future to see the option of sending the assistant manager on courses in media handling, diplomacy and/or rhetorics, so as to neutralize or maximize moral effects on the team. Not sure if it is realistic, but it is what I must hope.

i can confirm that press conferences have great deal of influnece on players. in each country you have at least one sports paper that players, coaches, chairmen, everyone reads. interviews, press conferences and after match reports with player performance descriptions (that one is the favourite:D ). however not all players are equally affected by these. depends on each person. but yes, great majority follows and reads them.

Archived