ri916's FM15 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decided I'd give this a whirl and plumped for a former Serie A side in Siena, now going by the name Robur Siena S.S.D after bankruptcy, it was either them or Piacenza and I see vikeologist is already taking a stab at them :applause:

10584007_1485411455051009_303123226725530715_n.jpg?oh=6210db9248fbe131c674a62a58d2165f&oe=54EBA7FC&__gda__=1423693243_0081a60200a4d967b066de39e281098b

Manager Profile

Manager Stats

Club Information

Squad Got a nice smattering of youth across the board, who'll hopefully, hopefully kick on and do the business :cool:

Good luck, Super Gord. It will be interesting to see how someone else gets on in Italy. Siena finished above us in our first season. They're the club above us that we need to catch in our second season to stay out of the relegation playouts.

There are some real challenges attached to doing the challenge in Italy, mostly financial I think; not being entered for the Copa Italia, high minimum wages and a quarter of the clubs in the division being either relegated or playouted.

So, good luck. It will be good to have someone else sharing the pain, misery and frustration for the short time before I get sacked.

I tried in Italy in FM12, think I managed to stay afloat until the 3rd year when all my goal keepers got busted up and I was playing a half silver star youth. Was my first attempt at this challenge, I must be mad to come back again. :lol:

Think I'm going to play in England as Stamford A.F.C. - have the save, just waiting for the release and whatever ME fixes come with it to get started.

Yeah I noticed right after I posted that I already have the full game. :lol: Unfortunately it's 9:30am here so I have a day of work ahead of me, but I may sneak in a match or two!

Yeah, I get the lucky end of the release time with it being just past 6pm here when it went live. Running 2 or 3 season holidays in a few countries in-between watching TV so I can chose later. Undecided between Portugal, Holland or maybe a trip back to Belgium......

2 points from 10 matches suggests not. Ugh, I have no idea, I was doing better with greyed out players in Scotland. Unless things pick up soon it's not even going to be worth playing the whole season because I'm going to be so far out of touch.

:( Shakes

Well, it looks like Holland is broken atm, as no team is relegated from the 2nd tier and a previously non-playable team promoted.

Just couldn't find a team in Portugal that took my fancy.

Need to re-run a Belgium holiday as I messed that one up.

But I did find a club in both Spain and England who I would like to play..... England looking favorite atm, but please someone talk me out of it!!! :D

:( Shakes

Well, it looks like Holland is broken atm, as no team is relegated from the 2nd tier and a previously non-playable team promoted.

Just couldn't find a team in Portugal that took my fancy.

Need to re-run a Belgium holiday as I messed that one up.

But I did find a club in both Spain and England who I would like to play..... England looking favorite atm, but please someone talk me out of it!!! :D

There isn't a relegation spot in Holland in this version. It's the same in real life were no team will relegate at the end of the season. It's not broke, it's just like Scotland in the previous seasons.

There isn't a relegation spot in Holland in this version. It's the same in real life were no team will relegate at the end of the season. It's not broke, it's just like Scotland in the previous seasons.

Urgh, that sucks as I had Holland in my head as my destination.

Appreciate the heads up! :thup:

Spain would probably be marginally easier than England, though Spain would have the squad limitations. So, I'd probably do a coin flip, and go with that. My second game would probably be in one of those 2 countries too.

Good luck in Lier. Lyra have a big rivalry with SK Lierse in the first division, it's always fun to go from little brother to big brother in the city.

Off course also good luck to the rest of the starters, and Shakes, I'm sure it will click sometime, if not in this save, than the next.

I posted a question about the may contracts in the Scotland League-issues thread, will hold of on starting until I find out a bit more. If Scotland doesn't work out I'm a bit at a loss on what country to start Turkey crossed my mind, Belgium if they fixed the 3rd division playdown. ri916, could it be an option to open up the countries to all 3 division countries (while of course keeping the current set). I really like playing in smaller leagues, and I think the challenge could maybe use a bit more variety in that department. (I believe it only adds Denmark, Norway and Northern Ireland)

I just checked, and the they fixed the relegation play-off in the third division. So here we go...

mgJuoCj.png

A History:

In 1920 Beerschot-St-Niklaas was founded in the city of Sint-Niklaas. After a lawsuit from the more well known Beerschot from the nearby city of Antwerp the name was changed to Sint-Niklase SK. Most of the history of the club was spent in the second and third division of the Belgian pyramid. The club made it to the first division for 2 seasons in the 40's, and once more for a single season in 1984. The club spent the nineties as a midtable side in the second division, coming close to promotion two times. In 1999 the club relegated to the third division, and after a year merged with nearby first division team Lokeren. The name survived for three years as Sporting Lokeren Sint-Niklaas Waasland, but has now completely disapeared.

Red Star Haasdonk, a team from a small village next to Sint-Niklaas shot up the ranks, going from the regional divisions (5th level) to the second division in 5 years. They moved to Sint-Niklaas's old stadium in 2002 and were renamed to Red Star Waasland. When SK Beveren, the other first division team in the region, and neighbour of Sint-Niklaas, had to fold due to financial problems, Red Star packed its things and moved to Beveren's stadium to play under the name Waasland-Beveren.

Another team from the city, Niewkerken, founded in 1993, outdid Red Star and moved from the lowest division (9th level) to the 3rd division in just 9 years. On the day of the merger between Waasland en Beveren, Nieuwkerken announced that it would change it's name in SK Sint-Niklaas, and it's club colours to the yellow-and-blue of the old Sint-Niklase SK.

The Lessons:

1. Go from lower leagues to big stage in record time

2. Try not to get eaten by the neighbours

The Present

This is me. I was actually born in Sint-Niklaas, so when I saw the club was promoted, it was a no-brainer.

The team. Not the biggest squad, but at first glance a decent mix of ages an positions. No staff apart from a scout, so no team report or depth chart.

The Youth. Could use an intake or two.

The facilities. Not much, as I expected. Don't know if I should worry about the poor stadium condition.

Everybody loves pictures of small stadiums

Our stand. Not really visible, but it's in the middle of fields, so at least it has room to expand to Camp Nou-like proportions.

We even have us some dodgy sponsors. NSFWish???.

I'll be giving a more detailed overview of players and youth at the end of the season. Sorry for the long intro, but I always like these kind of details. Helps me make teams more memorable.

Korvalis I never played there, so might give it a shot later this year. These days I guess they are small enough to make it an interesting European Challenge. Extra cash is always a nice bonus. The unpronouncable names hold me back a bit, but I guess I'll just nickname everyone. "Useless dud I play at DL because my first 5 choices are healing their broken bones puts it in row Z" does have a nice ring to it :)

Jintro - Good luck, I used to do a proper intro post but getting relegated many times dulled my enthusiasm for it - now I do it at the end of the season if I survive. Also if you can't pronounce players just pretend they're Brazilian and give them nicknames like "Fred" or "Hulk". I'm half tempted to do that on all my youth intakes regardless. :)

Anyway I lost one more league game before rage quitting retiring for the evening to reconsider. It's early enough in the season that it's theoretically possible to turn it around. We've leaked the 2nd most goals and scored the 3rd least, we clearly need to do something different but with the squad I have I'm not sure what. Maybe since our defense is going suck no matter what we do trying to play counter attacking is a waste, just accept we'll leak goals and try to play for a shoot out?

It's entirely possible I spent more time on the intro post then in the game, but at least you all learned a bit of Belgian football history so it's not a complete waste.

If you can't get the defense to work, I would try the attacking option. As long as you score one more than them it's three points, It's not like you have much to lose at this point. And I'm guessing teams don't bury themselves in when playing against you, so it could be a valid option. (Keep in mind that I'm completely inept at the tactical side of the game, I usually just overpower my teams on the transfer market and take it from there. Having to focus on tactics and player development is one of the big reasons I play this challenge). If all else fails, go out with a bang.

Attacking was a disaster, was getting smashed as they just pinged balls over the top of our immobile backs, so back to the drawing board. Finally got our first win in the 18th match of the season! Only 11 points from safety now, we can do this. ;)

hmm... if defense doesn't work and attack doesn't work, I'm left with only one question. Is your goalkeeper really fat enough ?

18th match in England,that's about half way right ? If the AI teams are anything like the teams I've managed previously, they'll start dropping points like crazy around January. That might be your chance.

Ended up having a nice patch of form mid year winning 8 from 12 including FA Trophy games, and safety was actually looking somewhat achievable. Then the extra games plus some resheduled ones caught up with us and the whole squad was tired, the two better central defenders we had got injured and went back on a long losing streak. By the time everyone got fit morale was terrible and we were too far out of touch. I'd need to make up 15 points and 50 goal difference in the last 5 games to stay up(so you're saying there's a chance?), I think it's time to fall on my sword and resign.

Either this challenge is really tough this year, or I'm just picking teams with squads that are too weak. Probably need to look at picking a team that isn't predicted to come dead last next time. :)

And yeah, my GK was clearly not fat enough - 31 goals conceded to long shots vs our 4 scored! Just useless.

Edit: OK, going to go again in Belgium since I have a bunch of teams already to choose from, Royal Francs Borains it is. This time for sure.

Edit2: Or not, a bunch of players don't want to resign contracts. Grrr.

Jintro - Thanks and good luck yourself. Nice intro.

TWFL - Good luck. France sounds interesting.

Shakes - Sounds like your luck isn't the best :p. Also weird about that contract issue. I haven't had any problems at all with contracts in Lyra and at a fast glance the reputations look similar.

Lyra - Season 15/16

logolyra100j1.gif

Transfers - Proof

League

Our first league campaign went way better than I could have hoped for at the start of the season. We even went on a 14-game unbeaten run at one point. Thanks to that we managed to win the third period round which gave us a spot in the promotion playoffs. For the quarter finals we drew Kelmis and after 13 minutes into the first leg they got a player sent off and we managed to win by 6-1 and the tie was pretty much over. In the semi-finals we played fellow Third division A team VW Hamme in what was a much tighter affair. After suffering a few key injuries I had to put on a 39-year-old in midfield and he didn't disappoint. Instead he decided to score twice and we ended up winning the first leg by 3-2. After a goalless first half in the return leg we managed to score 2 goals and it was safe from there. In the final we played Kapellen and it ended up being a frustrating tie. We had twice as many shots but they got the goals. In total they beat us by 6-2 and our inexperience was apparent.

Still, a very good league campain and staying in the third division has its upsides.

Cups:

Not a bad run in the Belgian Cup. We won 3 games and in the 6th round we were drawn at home to Lierse (our fierce rivals). Due to our bad finances we sold the home advantage and ended up doubling our balance (and that's excluding the ticket sales). The less said about the game the better. We lost 1-7 so I guess our fans didn't like that...

Top players:

1. Alexandre Lanclas: Voted the Third division player of the year. A french right-winger who scored 27 goals in 42 games.

2. Matthias Schaessens: A central midfielder and playmaker. Chipped in with 14 goals in 33 games. Unfortunately he seems a bit injury-prone.

3. Wilfred Rémy: My best centreback. Nothing special but he does the job.

Youth intake

Not happy with that. With my best player being a right-sided winger I'd have hoped for a left-sided one. Also a decent striker would have been nice but I guess you shouldn't hope for much. Only 1 tagged.

Lahcen Saidi (16A): A left-sided fullback with a decent potential. He got 5 games this year and will get much more the next.

Goals before season:

*Fight bravely against regelgation -Success

*Upgrade something - Success Youth recruitment improvement

Next season:

*Safe mid-table

*Upgrade something

Great first season. I figure that cup-tie with Lierse should net you another youth upgrade. Saidi looks more than decent for the level, could become an important player. Also nice that your top players are relatively young, should still get some mileage out of them.

TWFL Good luck in France. I remember from reading last year's thread that it van be a pain to dislodge PSG and Monaco from the top spot.

Shakes I had a couple of players who didn't want to sign contracts because they recently signed one. (Figure I'll try again in september), didn't have anyone flat out refuse because they want to go elsewhere.

Will wait until the game becomes properly playable with the first patch before having a "proper" / Determined go at this, but meantime i will have a first effort to learn. Portugal is normally my first choice, but before i go there will give my home nation a go. Never been able to try Scotland properly on this challenge so lets see if i can survive a season somehow.

Holidaying now.

Also, small typo/update needed to your OP

Attribute masking should be enabled. 'Add key staff' and ' Add players to playable clubs' should be ticked.

Instead of ticking "add key staff", the question is actually reversed now (i think it was for 14 actually, but appreciate much of this OP is a copy/paste from 13!) and you would only tick to "Do not add key staff". So for this challenge i would assume you want to not tick it :)

I am going to regret this, but lets start a very long term game in England.....

Dulwich Hamlet

yr87C2z.jpg

My Starting Information

General Information

Club Background

The Starting Squad

These guys check all the right boxes for me, a unique name and an interesting kit color combo!

This will (hopefully) be a very long term save, and probably not as frequently played and updated as years past.

An interesting, and thankfully large starting squad. Defence is going to be interesting to say the least. A very nice looking pair of young full backs, and then the best starting combination of DCs are a combined 70 years old......

Add to that a 35 yr old GK, 33 yr old starting MC and a 38 yr old utility substitute. Fingers crossed on some decent early intakes!

jambo98 I hope you do well in Scotland. It's a league I always wanted to try out, but the small squads scare me off.

Braumiller It hurts my eyes! I don't think I could ever play with a team that plasters that colour-combo all over the interface. A lot of players in the squad, and remember, thirty is the new twenty.

Putting up with the colour scheme is the balancing factor for Dulwich - being based in London and with a good youth recruitment rating (6 - only 5 available teams have higher) I suspect Dulwich is actually the strongest starting club for an England save.

So I've decided to get stuck into a challenge and I'm thinking this looks like the one. I'm gonna go for a bash at Scotland and with Jambo98 at Cove Rangers I'll give one of the other teams a try. I'm hoping for one of the Lowland teams but I don't think they ever show up. I've only seen Nairn County, Cove & Brora come up. A few more spins of the wheel and I'll probably go with Brora.

This will be my first attempt at uploading my career progress on the site, so bare with me troops and I'll get the stuff up...... Eventually.

Best of luck folks!

Putting up with the colour scheme is the balancing factor for Dulwich - being based in London and with a good youth recruitment rating (6 - only 5 available teams have higher) I suspect Dulwich is actually the strongest starting club for an England save.

Don't say that (strongest), you'll make me restart!

Funnily enough, I saw everything completely the opposite :) I like the unique color scheme (the sidebar in my skin is neutral), and the London based piece was the compromise I made (I usually like out of the way teams, very nearly went with Weymouth again as they are my usual English choice in this challenge).

Interesting start to the challenge, very tough as expected!

If only I could settle on a tactic and best XI.....

I suspect London is a strength because you'll be more likely to keep players being from a big city. In theory youth intakes are better the bigger the city too, although the number of other clubs around might balance that out.

Of course (as I know too well) you do need a strong enough squad to survive that first season for any long term factors to even matter. Hopefully the first patch addresses how strong crosses are ... or you at least have better centre backs than I did at Stamford! :p

Am determined to survive a season, I'm actually liking FM15 despite my complete lack of success unlike FM14 which never really clicked for me. Just need to find the right side.

So here I go :)

After a fair few attempts I managed to get the beautifully named Clachnacuddin to appear and when they duly obliged by handling business against Montrose sending them crashing out of the league I was in like flynn. As I mentioned in my earlier post this is my first crack at posting my progress, so give it time and i shall work on the presentation and the like but for now here is my starting profile and current squad.

The squad is hopefully just got a wee bit about it to stay up, but i'm under no illusions. This will be tough :D

Here's hoping we can find some resolve and stay afloat this year.

My Starting Profile

My Profile 2

Starting Squad

I am gonna tear into as much as possible over the next couple of days. And i shall hopefully be back with a jazzed up 1st season summary .:)

Thinking of picking up FM15 at some point soon and will be straight on this challenge, probably back in Spain with Yeclano Deportivo to try and complete what I started last year (made it to the top half of the second division before life got in the way).

Made it to youth intake day on season 1 and i am not bottom which is a good sign. Despite having 17 players, 2 were out long term injured (5 - 7 months) so it really was tight. Managed to survive with various out of position players and not had to invoke "force majeure" and play any greymen. A few have populated the bench but not appeared.

With 6 games to go, we have a 7 point cushion over the only relegation spot, so we should, should be ok.

4hrs on a train coming up, so will get stuck in and hopefully through a good chunk of Season 2.

Jambo 98 - Youth Challenge Attempt 1 - Scotland - Cove Rangers

cove.jpg

Season 1

Manager Profile

The Competitions

Division - Scottish League 2

Final Position - 9th

Past Postions - Link

Challenge Cup - Knocked out round 2 by Rangers (entered at Round 1)

League Cup - Knocked out round 1 by Falkirk

Scottish Cup - Knocked out round 2 by Dalbeattie Star (entered at Round 2)

The Season Summary

League

It was always going to be tough, but there are some other pretty poor teams in this league. Our 17 players (minus the sub keeper who was out for 6 months and a DC who was out for similar time) just about gave us enough to play a flat 442, nothing fancy, no roles changed from default and no PI. A few TI to reflect our standards (hoof it long basically.....). We did recruit some staff to join the Chairman and me, with an Ass Man, an U20 Man, HOYD, Physio, Scout (for next opposition )and one coach all brought in.

We actually won our very first league game. A comfortable 3 nil win at home to Queens Park. Safe to say it was not an indicator of times to come. We tanked and lost 5 of our next 7, and it was match day 9 before we picked up our second win, which was incidentally also the next time we played Queens Park! We continued to pick up the odd draw and very occasional win to just about keep us out of trouble. When we did drop to the bottom it was never by more than a point, and not for any period of time. A couple of quick wins in early feb, one against the team below us Annan boosted us towards safety. We played out the season in a familar way with the odd point but mainly defeats.

In the end, although we finished second from bottom we were some 11pts clear of relegation. We did concede a brutal sounding 79 goals, which is clearly an area to work on.

We were not a million miles from mid table, although the play offs are still a couple of years at least away.

Cups

Aye, right. Dalbeattie f*ing Star is all i can say here....

POTY (top 3 chosen arbitrarily by me)

Daniel Park - Scored 20 goals in the league which were crucial for us. Nothing particularly sparkling about him as a player, but he seems to be able to find the net. Currently also tutoring so hopefully he can pass it on

Ryan Stewart - Our main wide boy. He can run a bit, dribble a bit and cross a bit. At this level of football thats about i need. 10 assists and 4 goals from the wing isnt at all bad

Chris Clark - Veteran in our engine room. Long time Aberdeen player and he still has good mental attributes. Wasnt asked to get forward much but did a lot of our grunt work and averaged 6.83

The Youths

The Intake

Youth Intake Season 1 - Not too bad. No one that looks ready to jump right in, but enough of a position spread and a couple who might have enough about them to help us progress

The New Tags

YP01a - Jamie Campbell - Front man with good physicals for his age and decent finishing. Needs some shaping but will get in and around the first team quickly

YP02b - Jamie Scott - Centre back who again ticks some of the basic boxes from the start. Will work on his tackling and give us an option at a very weak position for us

The Tag Updates

N/A - First Season

The State of the Club

Finances

End of season picture - Nothing much of note. We are well under wage budget but still made a very small monthly loss, all of which was offset by prize money of £32K for finishing 9th. Unlikely to afford any upgrades without a cup run, but at least we are not in the red.

Facilities

Current facilities picture - Not much to shout about.

Changes from last year - Junior Coaching upgraded from Basic to Adequate - we got this right at the start as a result of choosing the philosophy to bring through our own players.

Transfers

Transfer History - Clean as my mothers kitchen floor. Can see the various players we lost before i was able to take over as well :(

Career Summary

[b][u]Season          Division                    Final Position           Cups                    Achievements[/u][/b]
  1             Scottish league 2              9th                     Nowt                   Avoided Relegation

After a few quick reloads to try and find a somewhat local team. Finally settled on the exciting prospect of...

Whitbytownfc_zps45c1af5a.png~original

(Ammonites on the crest by the way)

Whitby Town F.C

My Information

Club General Information

Club Background

The squad

Whilst I fully expect my lone goalkeeper to injury himself for the season in the warm-up for the first friendly game, the team does seem pretty balanced for both experience and youth all over the pitch. Not completely sure of what formation to use with them though, most of the talent seems concentrated down the centre, so maybe a 4-3-3 or bring a Brazilian flair to the lower leagues and play a narrow 4-2DM-2-2

Good stuff Jambo98 - a "big" squad of 17 (hey it's all relative) makes a big difference. I reckon you'll kick on quickly there having made it through the toughest part, the teams in the lowest reaches of Scotland are awful.

Nice first season Jambo98!

Good luck korvalis!

First season here at Dulwich Hamlet is now in the books, will get it written up tonight or tomorrow morning!

Day off on Wednesday and the house to myself, so once I have made it look like I did something, a full-ish day of FM15 :D

Good luck to everyone who's started, I'll have a read through all the updates soon.

8 games into my season and just about keeping my head above the surface. Got some talented players in the squad but the youth is awful. I'll write an update tomorrow in some proper detail.

Decided I was jinxing it by not doing an opening post before, if I put a proper post up I'm sure to survive the season, right? To England!

HistonFClogo.png

I specifically reloaded until I got Histon because:

a) They have a squad strong enough to survive, if I butcher this it's all on me this time

b) Their youth recruitment is "average", which is a great starting value for England

c) They wear red and black, my favourite colours (although annoyingly in game they wear red and white)

My Profile

Facilities

Squad

With an expectation to only avoid relegation there's not a lot of pressure early on as I think with a bit of luck this is a mid table side. Big starting squad, 37 players in all, but a bunch of it is deadwood that wont get contracts extended into the coming season. Mateusz Kuzimski the star man, a model professional rated a good player for the conference premier and at 23 potential to improve further, hopefully he can bang in the goals for us, as well as become a mentor to the youth when they come.

Going to do this this time, no relegation, I will survive!

Archived