Sports Interactive Community
Giggsidan

How are you setting up your game? Anything you recommend?

So I played a lot of FM11/12/13, but I skipped 14 due to life commitments. I pre-ordered 15 after seeing some of the new features and have just finished installing the beta. I'd like to jump right in with a save I plan to carry on for a long time but I'm having trouble remembering how I used to set up my games and I'm pretty obsessive over making sure I do it 'right' because I'd hate to put lots of hours into a save only to later realise I should have done something differently.

1) I'm going to manage in England so obviously I'm going to want at least the usual 4 or 5 leagues there. I'll add the top divisions for the top European leagues, probably France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Holland. I heard Argentina is recommended due to the newgens? Anywhere I'm missing? I sometimes put Scotland in since they're local to me and I know some of the teams, but honestly from a game point of view I doubt the Scottish league will offer me anything! Do any of you add any other nations? Possibly just the first league for some others? Also, is it fine setting them to view-only if you never plan on managing there? Or is there some other downside to view-only?

2) Now as for the database size, I would usually go for large... but I saw someone mention on another forum that choosing small is wise. Why? Well apparently if you choose large the transfer market gets flooded and it's impossible to get rid of some players because there are so many free agents around. Is there any truth to this? I have had problems offloading players in past games where I've chosen large databases, though I don't know if this is a problem down to the game version itself or the database size.

3) Lastly, there is the option to add custom players to the database. This is where I'm mostly uncertain. Are there any recommended additions here? Maybe 'players from top clubs' from some regions? Or even 'players from top divisions'? 'Current international players'? What do you choose and why?

Thanks for reading. Would appreciate some advice here. I often play only 1 or 2 big saves and I skipped on 14, like I said, so this all really isn't my area of expertise. Oh, and I know I can add some leagues after I started, but I'd probably only want to do that if I planned to manage somewhere else. :)

I have a "big 12 (nations)" that I try to load on all saves in order to make the transfer market, European tournaments, etc., as realistic as possible. Would often load a couple more if I'm doing a journeyman type save. Also, I always go with a large database. No need to load anything else unless you specifically want obscure players in the game world (for the San Marino save or something). So normally:

England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Holland, Belgium, Turkey (eh), Ukraine and Greece (very eh).

Up to you, really.

I have a "big 12 (nations)" that I try to load on all saves in order to make the transfer market, European tournaments, etc., as realistic as possible. Would often load a couple more if I'm doing a journeyman type save. Also, I always go with a large database. No need to load anything else unless you specifically want obscure players in the game world (for the San Marino save or something). So normally:

England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Holland, Belgium, Turkey (eh), Ukraine and Greece (very eh).

Up to you, really.

Playable or Read-Only?

Playable or Read-Only?

I normally have at least two leagues from those nations on playable. Never used read only, not exactly sure the point.

I normally have at least two leagues from those nations on playable. Never used read only, not exactly sure the point.

I think it loads the league (with the players and competitions being played in the background), just doesn't make it playable?

Not 100% sure on that though.

it used to dummy load the leagues, so any loanees could actually play games that your scout could watch (without the demands of loading the league fully)

kind of pointless with add/remove leagues feature, I haven't used it since

Playable or Read-Only?

England, Italy and Spain as playable and the rest read only in my set-up. Same exact countries though.

it used to dummy load the leagues, so any loanees could actually play games that your scout could watch (without the demands of loading the league fully)

kind of pointless with add/remove leagues feature, I haven't used it since

It's not pointless. You want to set many view only leagues at the start since you can only add playable leagues later. It adds to the simulation with minimum cpu resources.

How many players do you normally set up with?

I generally set up English and Spanish leagues as playable, then add European players to make the total around 50k.

How many players do you normally set up with?

I generally set up English and Spanish leagues as playable, then add European players to make the total around 50k.

I don't really remember how many players tend to be in my games, but I usually go for the game speed to be 3 stars or more. When you say you add European players, is this an option in the custom field of the database section?

2) Now as for the database size, I would usually go for large... but I saw someone mention on another forum that choosing small is wise. Why? Well apparently if you choose large the transfer market gets flooded and it's impossible to get rid of some players because there are so many free agents around. Is there any truth to this? I have had problems offloading players in past games where I've chosen large databases, though I don't know if this is a problem down to the game version itself or the database size.

3) Lastly, there is the option to add custom players to the database. This is where I'm mostly uncertain. Are there any recommended additions here? Maybe 'players from top clubs' from some regions? Or even 'players from top divisions'? 'Current international players'? What do you choose and why?

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I would love to know if anyone has any info/opinions on these 2 points I made in the original post ^, especially about the notion that a large database potentially means it's impossible to sell players due to a flooded market?

Is there any benefit from setting a league as " playable " if you will never manage a team into it ?

I will play in one league only so I assume there are no drawback on setting all the other foreign leagues as read only, correct ?

Is there any benefit from setting a league as " playable " if you will never manage a team into it ?

I will play in one league only so I assume there are no drawback on setting all the other foreign leagues as read only, correct ?

Incorrect - the view only leagues will simulate games but the teams won't be as involved in the transfer market and won't be as competitive as the playable leagues. That's why it takes so much less effort on your CPU than fully playable and there won't be any more players loaded up than if you were to simply pick a large database. If you picked England as playable but all the other major leagues as view only and went on holiday for 10-15 years... I guarantee most of the major trophies and competitions would be dominated by English clubs.

Generally from what I understand - Small database but more playable leagues is better for an active transfer environment and competition in European and international cups than Large database with limited active leagues. I stand ready to be corrected on this though... but this is my experience.

Incorrect - the view only leagues will simulate games but the teams won't be as involved in the transfer market and won't be as competitive as the playable leagues. That's why it takes so much less effort on your CPU than fully playable and there won't be any more players loaded up than if you were to simply pick a large database. If you picked England as playable but all the other major leagues as view only and went on holiday for 10-15 years... I guarantee most of the major trophies and competitions would be dominated by English clubs.

Generally from what I understand - Small database but more playable leagues is better for an active transfer environment and competition in European and international cups than Large database with limited active leagues. I stand ready to be corrected on this though... but this is my experience.

hmm never tought about that.... can any admin confirm this?

Well my saves are always South American tours so I load all SA leagues as playable, medium DB, start in Div2 Brazil (this year) and then go where the gods take me.

The beauty is that I can be English with a second nationality of Spanish and language is not a problem throughout.

Actually I left out Argentina this year and substituted Mexico as the new Argentina league set up is ridiculous.

Well my saves are always South American tours so I load all SA leagues as playable, medium DB, start in Div2 Brazil (this year) and then go where the gods take me.

The beauty is that I can be English with a second nationality of Spanish and language is not a problem throughout.

Actually I left out Argentina this year and substituted Mexico as the new Argentina league set up is ridiculous.

buuu =(

keyzer ARG HR

I usually only do 4 maximum countries, but i'm getting a new laptop soon, with an i5 so will be running a lot more from it. Haven't played FM obsessively since 2009. These were some of the best days of my life.

Does anybody ever load all players from a specific country from the custom database option? Is it even necessary if you already have that league and all divisions loaded as playable?

I have never understood how that works so to play it safe I always choose a custom database and load all players from 20+ nations around the world.

If you run a league as playable rather than view only the teams in the active league have their players loaded. If you run a league as view only no additional players are loaded so whether a team has real players loaded depends on the database size and the reputation of players.

Does anybody ever load all players from a specific country from the custom database option? Is it even necessary if you already have that league and all divisions loaded as playable?

I have never understood how that works so to play it safe I always choose a custom database and load all players from 20+ nations around the world.

Also, you have beaten my Join Date! Haven't seen many from around that time ;)

I usually have the nation I'm playing in + Australian A-League (as I'm from Aus) playable, and all other leagues view only (as view only takes minimal processing time and allows me to follow those leagues).