• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2014/15 - November

PRM - Arsenal 3-0 Burnley - Wilshere, Giroud, Walcott

UCL - Arsenal 4-2 Galatasaray - Welbeck, Wilshere, Ramsey, Alexis

PRM - Swansea 2-1 Arsenal - Cazorla

PRM - Arsenal 3-2 Man Utd - Welbeck, Giroud, Mertesacker

UCL - Arsenal 4-1 Leverkusen - Ozil, Arteta (p), Giroud (2)

PRM - West Brom 0-0 Arsenal

A good month overall, qualified for the knockout round of the Champions League with the away trip to Rome still to go. Defeat to Swansea was first in the league this season, and was a poor performance, despite the first minute lead we took. Man Utd result was brilliant, 2 goals down after an hour, Welbeck scored, but Giroud had 3 point blank range shots saved by De Gea, but he bundled it in with 6 minutes left and Per Mertesacker won it 3 minutes later. West Brom game was a little disappointing, should have found the net, but couldn't find a way through.

On to December.

Thankfully in the early stages when I was inconsistent it was only Copenhagen to deal with. Which I did (although with a bit of drama on the way) - I understand how Wenger talks about it - most important match of the season.

Fm15 Season 1 May/June

Premier League

MANCHESTER CITY 3

Toure 25 53 Milner 52

ARSENAL 3

Walcott 56 Podolski 73 77

I didn’t want to lose so despite the Juventus game in midweek I played my strongest team. Walcott had a goal wrongly ruled out for offside as we started brightly. But two horrific mistakes by Mertersacker and a good finish by Milner saw us go 3-0 down at the start of the second half. However we rallied and Walcott almost immediately got one back and then a brace by Podolski saw us level at 3-3. Zabaleta hit the bar as I settled for the draw. Chelsea won meaning we are 3 points clear with 3 games to go. Goal difference not an issue.

Champions League Semi-Final 1st Leg

JUVENTUS 2

Tevez 30 74pen

ARSENAL 3

Giroud 27 Sanchez 55 Balanta 75

I set up very positively to try and score. We played ok in the first half but after Giroud gave us the lead we were undone by some Tevez brilliance. Second half Sanchez restored the advantage but Tevez converted a soft penalty. I would have settled for 2-2 but a minute later Balanta escaped the defender and scored the winner. Gibbs limped off injured and would miss the second leg. Bayern won 3-0 at City. Cazorla made his return as a late sub.

Premier League

ARSENAL 3

Debuchey 20 Johnson o.g 39 Monreal 85

SUNDERLAND 1

Wickham 89

I named almost an alternate eleven but it still did the job. Debuchy and Monreal the scorers after the strikers missed 9 clear cut chances. Sunderland pulled one back through Wickham late on. They had 3 shots we had 36. Stoke beat Chelsea 1-0 through good old Peter Crouch. Meaning we would win the league at White Hart Lane with a point.

Champions League Semi-Final 2nd Leg

ARSENAL 4

Walcott 3 17 45pen 62

JUVENTUS 2

Pereyra 48 Llorente 72

Theo Walcott finished off the tie practically on his own. He struck all four goals. Balanta had a goal wrongly ruled out for offiside. Bayern won 1-0 in Germany and we will face them in the final in Berlin. Only downside is Sanchez missing the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Premier League

TOTTENHAM 3

Kampi 23 Adebayor 35 Yamolenko 81

ARSENAL 5

Ramsey 2 Chamberlain 7 Ozil 11 Podolski 74 88pen

We won the league title in style with a fine win at Spurs we were 3-0 up inside 11 minutes including our 100th goals of the league season and I thought it would be plain sailing from there on in. But spurs hit back with their only two shots of the first half. Adebayor scoring a wonderful flickup and volley effort. In the second half Podolski struck to make it 2-4 before a shocker from Szczesny allowed Yamolenko to reduce the deficit again. However Podolski would have the last laugh smashing home from the spot.

Premier League

ARSENAL 5

Ramsey 12 Giroud 61 64 Podolski 72pen Walcott 75

WEST BROM 2

Ideye 13 21

Another high scoring game to finish the League season. Ideye immediately cancelled out Ramseys opener and then put the baggies infront. After a stern talking to we changed philosophy in the second half and bounced back well.

FA Cup FINAL

ARSENAL 1

Chamberlain 56

LIVERPOOL 2

Coutinho 48 Sturridge 52

Match Stats Possession 52/48 Shots 19(8)/18(11) Corners 6/8 Fouls 10/22 CCC 3/7 WW 0/0 YC 2/2 Passes 316/324[/b]

Man of the Match- Phillipe Coutinho 8.5

Arsenal – Szczesny Gibbs (Welbeck 88) Debuchy Mertersacker Koscielny Ramsey (Cazorla 72) Khedira Podolski Chamberlain Ozil Giroud (Walcott 72)

Subs Not Used: Ospina Balanta Monreal Romero

Liverpool – Mignolet Enrique Johnson (Manquillo 90) Lovren Sakho Lucas (Can 11) Allen Can Courtinho Sturridge Balotelli

Subs Not Used: Jones Moreno Sterling Doumbia Markovic Lallana

Liverpool got their revenge and shattered our quadruple dreams. It seemed an odd choice to play our first game of the season in the blue kit. After a first half dominated by Liverpool they scored twice in four minutes in the second half to put us in deep trouble. Chamberlain got a quick reply but we couldn’t get the second goal. It was the first game in 9 where we had failed to score at least three times.

CHAMPION LEAGUE FINAL

BAYERN MUNICH 0

ARSENAL 1

Podolski 31

Match Stats Possession 53/47 Shots 23(10)/12(5) Corners 11/4 Fouls 11/3 CCC 6/0 WW 1/0 YC 0/0 Passes 347/349[/b]

Man of the Match- Laurent Koscielny 8.5

Bayern – Neuer Alaba Lahm Dante Boateng Alonso Schweinsteiger Martinez Ribery (Shaqiri 85) Muller Lewandowski

Subs Not Used: Reina bemat Gotze Rode rafinha Hojbjerg

Arsenal – Szczesny Gibbs Debuchy Mertersacker Koscielny Ramsey Khedira Podolski Chamberlain (Wilshere 76) Ozil Giroud (Walcott 68)

Subs Not Used: Ospina Balanta Welbeck Cazorla Monreal

It was fitting that our player of the season got the winning goal to mark the clubs first european cup truimph. We were outplayed for the entire game. Bayern created six clearcut chances all for Robert Lewandowski but just couldn’t score. It was easily one of our worst performances of the season. I don’t care

Other News

It was an Arsenal hattrick in the final monthly awards. Podolski Chamberlain and my good self winning the respective awards

City sacked Pellergrini Stoke sacked Hughes Southampton sacked Koeman and Villa sacked Lambert

Burnley Leicester and Sunderland were Relegated

After finishing a lowly 7th Roma sacked Wenger

Having played just seven games all season rosicky retired.

Podolski footballer of the year

Hazard Players Player of the year

Ramsey Players Young Player

KingLara Manager of the year

TOTY - Courtois Baines Rafael Mertersacker Koscielny Podolski Chamerlain Ozil Ramsey Aguero Falcao

Bench: De Gea Yamolenko Hazard Jagielka Balotelli Gibbs Remy

The Emirates Cup see’s the Champions of the four top leagues collide in London. We will face Barcelona while Juventus play Dortmund.

End of the season review coming soon-ish

Tough run there Willy! I had the appeal work for me once back on CM4 actually, but a long time ago now. Not sure I fancy facing those teams with no Wojciech Szczesny.

I just had a brilliant comeback against Man Utd, after an hour was 2-0 down, dominated the game, but couldn't find a way through - then, we scored after 64 minutes through Danny Welbeck, before Giroud had 3 point blank range shots somehow saved by De Gea - then Giroud finally scored with 6 minutes to go, before Mertesacker nearly took the net off the goal with a smashed effort during a penalty box scramble with 3 minutes left. It was wonderful!

Yeah man, luckily Szczesny was back after the first game of that tough run. It was an interesting 5 games I'll say that..

ScreenShot2014-12-30at134134_zpscb134ac2.jpg

Conceding 10 goals in 5 was terrible (obviously) but scoring 18 with 8 against Man City was pretty cool! In the Real Madrid away game I was 3-0 up before it finished 4-4 and the FA Cup Semi against Chelsea was sweet as Ainsley Maitland-Niles came on & scored the winner in the last 2 mins! He was only on the bench due to injuries.

He's developing quite nicely actually.

8-0! Mental!

Yeah man, such a great result. Welbeck & Lukaku got 4 each & Götze got about 4 assists.

Just won the title with 3 games to spare, my first in my 5 seasons. FA Cup Final & Champions League semis coming up so still on for a treble.

llama3 - have you had any issues with a new board taking over at all? My new lot are annoying, ridiculously hard to please it seems.

Agreed a deal for John Stones to come in for £17.5m, plus £3.6m in add ons (potentially) in January. Really delighted to sign him, perfect addition to the squad.

He has been sensational for me dude, big fan IRL too. I got him for a very similar price too.

Just did the treble! Dead chuffed.

So having got FM15 for Christmas and playing around on both the full fat and diet versions, I've started a new Arsenal save on FMC to celebrate joining the bottom the very long season ticket waiting list at the Emirates!

I wanted to try to keep my signings predominantly from the UK & Ireland, but I will look elsewhere if necessary (which it turned out to be!)

Players In: Nathaniel Clyne £11.5m, John Stones £18.5m & Sven Bender £16m

Players Out: Serge Gnabry - Augsburg (Season Loan)

I'm playing the oft-used 4-2-3-1 Wide formation as follows:

GK -D

FBR - S

CD - D

CD - D

FB L - S

BWM - D

B2B - S

IFR - A

AP - S

WL - A

CF - A

Attacking / Fluid

Short Passing, Work Ball into Box, Whipped Crosses & Push Higher Up.

I've only just started playing so there isn't a great deal to report on the pitch but so far the story is:

Community Shield Arsenal 2 - Man. City 1 (Giroud 7, Ramsey 68)

Premier League Arsenal 4 - Southampton 0 (Sanchez 54, 75, 79, Giroud 56)

UCL Qualifier 1st Leg Arsenal 3 - Athletic Bilbao 2 (Ozil 25(p) 51, Walcott 75)

An unbeaten start so far but a disappointing result against Bilbao. It was one of those games where we battered them in true Arsenal fashion but frustratingly didn't get the rewards whilst they had 2 shots in the entire game :rolleyes:

Kept meaning to post here, but I've been playing my Arsenal FMC save far too much to get a chance. Being FMC I bought the Son unlockable straight away.

Now about to start 2020/21, here is my honours list:

2199 Days in charge: P347 W232 D56 L59 F865 A406 GD+459 W%66.

Trophies:

14/15: Community Shield/FA Cup

15/16: Premier League

16/17: CoC/Premier League/FA Cup

17/18: Premier League/FA Cup

18/19: Champions League

19/20: Club World Cup/Premier League/FA Cup

Top 5 Goalscorers in Overall Best XI

Danny Welbeck P209 G128 (17/18 Prem Golden Boot/Euro Golden Shoe,)

Mesut Ozil P214 G81 (English PoY 15/16, 3rd in World Golden Ball 16/17, Player's PoY 17/18)

Dario Vanni (4.5 Star WC potential regen ST, signed from Milan for £37m after add-ons) P130 G79 (European Golden Boy 2019)

Alexis Sanchez P200 G71

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain P225 G68 (Runner up World PoY 2017, 2018 and World Golden Ball 2019)

Son: Axel Cloista (FC/ML 3.5 Star potential) P65 G39

Major Signings:

Signed:31 £204m Sold:31 £195m Net Spend £9m

14/15: £15m Benedikt Howedes (current vice-Captain), £15m Will Hughes, £8.75m Pedro Obiang (sold to Benfica for £17.5m)

15/16: £13.5m Marco Asensio (sold to Juventus for £35.5m, record sale), £3.4m Xherdan Shaqiri (sold to Bayern for £20m)

16/17: £37m Dario Vanni

18/19: £32m Adnan Januzaj (rose to £38m, my current record), £27.5m Patrick Gullenbeck (WC German regen DL)

I'll update again probably in a couple of season's time.

Mini Update:

Premier League Crystal Palace 3 Arsenal 1 (Giroud 6)

UCL Athletic Bilbao 2 Arsenal 2 (Welbeck 6, Oxlade-Chamberlain 68) Agg 4-5

A terrible result at Palace but another performance where we completely outplayed them but couldn't capitalise on our 15 attempts to their 4. The Champions league game was a real squeaky bum affair as we were 1-0 down in 45 seconds thanks to a carbon copy of Rambo's volley at Galatasaray recently, however we rallied round to get 2-1 ahead before a late equaliser saw us defending for our lives to avoid extra time, leading to a Group looking like this:

Arsenal

Olympiacos

R.B. Salzburg

LOSC

On paper its a doddle, but then again we all love paper in football don't we :p

In the Capital One Cup we have been drawn at home to Southampton in the 3rd round. That seems familiar...

Hi lads,

Posting in here as I've found over the years the Arsenal " team thread " has by far as a collective group the best FM players on compared with the other team threads.

I'm looking to create a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 if i absolutely have to, based around minimal goals conceded and being solid and consistent in that department. I know that isn't Arsenal in real life! * sorry* AND i know this isn't probably the best patch of football manager to try it out on. But a lot of you create short passing possession based tactics who do far better defensively than people who are setting up to defend in huge numbers and hit on the counter.

so any trials and errors that you can pass onto me ? i saw one poster saying he's not a fan of pass into space with a short passing tactic.

In the 4-2-3-1 are you using DM line or a CM line?

Mentality & fluidity? ect

thanks lads

FM

Hi lads,

Posting in here as I've found over the years the Arsenal " team thread " has by far as a collective group the best FM players on compared with the other team threads.

I'm looking to create a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 if i absolutely have to, based around minimal goals conceded and being solid and consistent in that department. I know that isn't Arsenal in real life! * sorry* AND i know this isn't probably the best patch of football manager to try it out on. But a lot of you create short passing possession based tactics who do far better defensively than people who are setting up to defend in huge numbers and hit on the counter.

so any trials and errors that you can pass onto me ? i saw one poster saying he's not a fan of pass into space with a short passing tactic.

In the 4-2-3-1 are you using DM line or a CM line?

Mentality & fluidity? ect

thanks lads

FM

Best bet is posting on the tactics forum got some amazing people on there

Best bet is posting on the tactics forum got some amazing people on there

It's not that I need help with my own tactics , I was hoping the successful people that play as arsenal with a 4-2-3-1 could share their mentality , role , duties ect to see if there are common themes that work with a 4-2-3-1. And for the exact reasons I posed before this generally is a great thread for people being successful in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

I see a few peoples boards have been taken over, what years are these normally happening?

For me "Silent" Stan Kroenke retired in June 2018 and was replaced by a London based businessman called Alan Bowkett. There are no philosophies in place anymore and the Directors & Managing Directors underneath him are all newgens (or regens, whatever they're called).

So far I'm missing Stan & Ivan Gazidis in a way as they were more lenient.

Not having the best of seasons:

LeagueTableJan2018_zps0cad40ee.png

Man Utd beat us 3-0 at Old Trafford, Watford beat us (again :mad:) because we can't put the ball in the net, and City just beat us convincingly 2-0 at the Eithad. We actually beat Chelsea easily, but they just keep on winning. We can't afford to make any more slip-ups if we want to get back into the title race.

I can't for the life of me fit all the players I want to play in a tactic. I wonder if the FA will let me change it to 13 a side. I want to play Welbeck but Giroud will probably suit my tactic more. I love Santi irl but Ozil is just better than him and doesn't shoot from everywhere, etc. etc.

September 2014

A busy month saw some disappointing results as we failed to capitalise on several dominating performances.

Premier League Liverpool 3 Arsenal 1 (Walcott 35)

UCL R.B. Salzburg 2 Arsenal 2 (Welbeck 21, 71)

Premier League Arsenal 3 West Brom 0 (Giroud 15, 21, 23)

CoC 3rd Round Arsenal 0 Southampton 1 (AET)

Premier League Stoke 0 Arsenal 1 (Cazorla 43)

The Liverpool game was yet another result which should have been so different as we pummelled them for 90 minutes but once again couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo. I decided to tweak from Attacking to Standard to see if it had any effect and it appears to be working as we are now having fewer shots per game and being more accurate.

Giroud had an amazing opening 25 minutes at The Hawthorns and the game was over pretty quickly as they never looked like scoring.

The game in Salzburg was a strange one as we didn't get out of the blocks and were 2-0 down inside 10 minutes but we came back well to take the point.

And finishing the month with a solid win at the home of the rugby team.

Wasn't bothered about the Saints game and sent the ressies out for this one .

Currently sitting 7th after 6 games, 6 points behind Chelsea in 1st place.

898db8e6-b89d-4015-90e4-8729c9c8491b_zps7fcc3d0c.jpg

November Report

05/11/16 | Barclays Premier League | Old Trafford

Team: Ruddy 6.9 , Stones 7.1 , Koscielny 7.4 , Doria© 7.9 , Taylor 6.6( Chambers 66/6.6) , Wilshere 6.9 , Kondogbia 6.8( Pogba 72/6.8), Malcolm 6.8 , Sterling 6.9 , Alexis 6.3 , Campbell 6.6( Munir 56/7)

Arsenal 2 ( Wilshere 22 , Munir 74)

Man Utd 0

19/11/16 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Team: Ruddy 7.2 , Stones 6.8 , Koscielny 7 , Doria© 8.2 , Taylor 6.9( Hearn 49/6.4) , Wilshere 7.5( Pogba 43/6.7) , Kondogbia 7.8 , Malcolm 8.9 , Sterling 9 , Giroud 10(MoM), Berahino 6.9( Zivkovic 45/7)

Arsenal 7 ( Giroud 11 & 21 & 26 , Doria 40 , Giroud 42 & 62 & 75)

Everton 3 ( Gibson 43 & 48 , McGeady 74)

22/11/16 | UEFA Champions League( Grp Stage) | Emirates

Teams: Romero 7.6 , Stones 7( Chambers 67/6.8) , Koscielny 8.1 , Doria© 8.4 , Taylor 8.2 , Kondogbia 6.9 ( Pogba 61/6.7), Wilshere 7.8 , Malcolm 8.2 , Sterling 9.1( Oxlade-Chamberlain 61/6.7) , Munir 9.4 , Giroud 9.5(MoM)

Arsenal 6 ( Doria 35 , Sterling 36 , Munir 39 , Giroud 42 & 77 , Vormer O/G 90+1)

Club Brugge 1 ( Refaelov 19)

27/11/16 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Team: Ruddy 6.9 , Stones 7.2 , Dede 8 , Doria© 7.6 , Taylor 7.6 , Pogba 7 , Bäron 6.9( Kondogbia 54/7.4)( Oxlade-Chamberlain 63/6.9) , Malcolm 7.9 , Sterling 8.4(MoM) , Campbell 8.3( Zivkovic 69/6.7)

Arsenal 3 ( Campbell 23 , Giroud 30 , Kondogbia 58 , Kondogbia Inj 63)

Tottenham 0

30/11/16 | UEFA Champios League( Grp Stage) | St. Jakobspark

Team: Savic 7 , Chambers 7.2 , Koscielny 7.1 , Doria© 6.5( Stones 45/6.9) , Taylor 6.8( Gibbs 82) , Pogba 7 , Wilshere 6.8 , Sterling 6.9( Berahino 82) , Campbell 9 , Zivkovic 9.1

Arsenal 4 ( Zivkovic 44 , Oxlade-Chamberlain 59 , Zivkovic 72 , Campbell 84)

FC Basel 2 ( Frei 26 , Kohler 43)

arsenal1_zps66b9647a.jpg

Our possible first Knock-Out Rd opponents are Fenerbahce , FC Porto , As Saint-Etienne , Dortmund , Atletico Madrid , Marseille

Agreed a deal for John Stones to come in for £17.5m, plus £3.6m in add ons (potentially) in January. Really delighted to sign him, perfect addition to the squad.

My laptop overheated and shut down just after that the other day. Set me back a few dasy - on the re-do John Stones decided to ask for an extra £60k per week. So not signing John Stones this time! Getting a cheap cover Angelo Ogbonna in, and I'll reassess in the summer.

Season 2014/15 - December

PRM - Arsenal 4-1 Southampton - Welbeck (2), Ozil, Alexis

PRM - Stoke 1-1 Arsenal - Welbeck

UCL - Roma 2-2 Arsenal Giroud, Gnabry

PRM - Arsenal 3-0 Newcastle - Cazorla (2), Welbeck

PRM - Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal - Ramsey (2)

PRM - Arsenal 1-0 QPR - Giroud

PRM - West Ham 0-0 Arsenal

PRM - Southampton 0-1 Arsenal - Cazorla

Transfers

Angelo Ogbonna has arrived in to add cover in defence for £6m.

FA Cup - 3rd Round

Arsenal v Norwich

UEFA Champions League - Knockout Round

Napoli v Arsenal

Just come from behind away to City in the league to draw 1-1, then came from behind at Chelsea to force a replay in the 4th round of the cup. Both times, I was under severe pressure, but the defence and goalkeeper kept me in each game. Excellent results.

Season 2014/15 - January

FA - Arsenal 1-0 Norwich - Koscielny

PRM - Arsenal 3-1 Stoke - Giroud (2), Walcott

PRM - Man City 1-1 Arsenal - Mertesacker

FA - Chelsea 1-1 Arsenal - Wilshere

FA Cup

4th Round Replay - (H) Chelsea

5th Round Draw - Arsenal/Chelsea v Leeds United

How's Wilshere performing for you llama? In my 3 seasons, he hasn't done very well at all. I think much of the hype has died down.

Better than Aaron Ramsey so far this season. His goal against Chelsea was priceless. A 30 yarder into the top corner with 6 minutes to play. He has scored the winning penalty in the replay too.

Better than Aaron Ramsey so far this season. His goal against Chelsea was priceless. A 30 yarder into the top corner with 6 minutes to play. He has scored the winning penalty in the replay too.

It's great how players differ from save to save; IRL I like Jack (injury & discipline issues aside) but on my game I've been trying to get rid of him since the third season. So, 4th & 5th seasons he went on season long loans to Everton but has had bad injuries.

OK, so I rolled back to before the sack (Board ultimatum over transfers) because I really couldn't be bothered to start a whole new game! So here is my:

OCTOBER 2014

UCL Arsenal 2 LOSC 0 (Walcott 5, Welbeck 21)

Premier League Newcastle 3 Arsenal 4 (Williamson OG 43, Chamberlain 71 & 81, Chambers 90)

Premier League Arsenal 4 QPR 0 (Koscielny 17, Giroud 37 & 67, Flamini 71)

UCL Arsenal 1 Olympiacos 0 (Giroud 22)

Premier League Leicester 1 Arsenal 1 (Stones 20)

A great month with a disappointing end as we struggled at Leicester despite going in front. The trip to Newcastle was a real roller coaster as we were 2-0 down before fighting back to claim the win. The Champions League is going nicely and a win in our next game in Greece will see us through to the knockout stages.

In the league, we sit 3rd after 9 games trailing in the wake of Man Utd and Chelsea who seem to be smashing everybody at the moment, although I am starting to get players complaining about the lack of game time with Mertesacker, Flamini, Diaby & Podolski have all gone to the press recently but I seem to be keeping a lid on it so far.

Just Angelo Ogbonna for £6m as cover at the back. Looking to sign a long term player for DC & DM in the summer window.

Jubal or Gustavo Henrique from Santos for the DC positions, they'd be good signings and cheap if still at Santos. Alison at Santos is also an excellent DMC.

898db8e6-b89d-4015-90e4-8729c9c8491b_zps7fcc3d0c.jpg

December Report

03/12/16 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

STARTING FORMATION/TEAM: GK: Savic 7.1 RB: Chambers 7.9 RCB: Koscielny 7.7 LCB: Doria© 6.8( Stones 45/6.7) LB: Taylor 7.3 MCR: Pogba 6.9 MCL: Wilshere 7.4 AMR: Oxlade-Chamberlain 6.8 AML: Sterling 8.8(MoM) STCR: Zivkovic 6.4( Munir 56/6.8) STCL: Giroud 6.8

Arsenal 2 ( Giroud 10 ,Doria Inj 45 , Munir PEN 75 , Sterling x1 , Ozlade-Chamberlain x1)

Chelsea 0

10/12/16 | Barclays Premier League | St James' Park

STARTING FORMATION/TEAM: GK: Savic 7.8 RB: Chambers 7.3 RCB: Henrique 7 LCB: Gomez 7.6 LB: Yenga 7.2 MCR: Blin 7 MCL: Pogba 6.9( Oxlade-Chamberlain 45/7.6) AMR: Malcolm 9 AML: Sterling 8.7 STCR: Campbell 9(MoM) STCL: Giroud© 7.9

Arsenal 5 ( Giroud 16 , Sterling 42 , Oxlade-Chamberlain 61 , Campbell 63 , Gomez 78 | Savic x1 , Malcolm x2 , Sterling x1 , Campbell x2)

Newcastle 2 ( Gouffran 31 , Anita 77)

17/12/16 | Barclays Premier League | Brittania

STARTING FORMATION/TEAM: GK: Ruddy 6.8 RB: Chambers 7.1( Stones 84) RCB: Kosciely 7.9 LCB: Doria© 7.2 LB: Taylor 6.9( Gibbs 78) MCR: Pogba 6.8 MCL: Wishere 6.7( Kondogbia 45/6.7) AMR: Oxlade-Chamberlain 6.5 AML: Sterling 6.9 STCR: Munir 8.8(MoM) STCL: Giroud 6

Arsenal 2 ( Munir 33 , Wilshere Inj 45 , Munir 55 | Assts: Sterling x1)

Stoke 0/B]

20/12/16 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

STARTING FORMATION/TEAM: GK: Ruddy 7.1 RB: Chambers 7.2 RCB: Koscieelny 7.2( Doria 77) LCB: Stones 7.6 LB: Gibbs 7 MCR: Anton© 6.9 MCL: Bäron 6.5( Kondogbia 45/6.9)AMR: Malcolm 6.6( Sterling 45/7.2) AML: Campbell 8(M0M) STCR: Munir 6.9 STCL: Giroud 7.5

Arsenal 2 ( Sterling 55, Giroud 70)

Aston Villa 0

26/12/16 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

STARTING FORMATION/TEAM: GK: Romero 6.3 RB: Chambers 7.6 RCB: Doria 7.5 LCB: Stones 7.5 LB: Taylor 7.7 MCR: Bäron 7.3( Konbogbia 83) MCL: Anton© 9 MR: Oxlade-Chamberlain 8.5 ML: Sterling 9.3(MoM) STCR: Munir 8( Campbell 83) STCL: Giroud 9( Alexis 83)

Arsenal 5 ( Oxlade-Chamberlain 7 , Giroud 24 , Anton 42 , Sterling 63 , Munir 83 | Assts: Sterling x1 , Munir x1)

Derby 1 ( Olsson 36)

31/12/16 | Barclays Premier League | Madejski Stadium

STARTING FORMATION/TEAM: GK: Romero 7.1 RB: Chambers 7.5 RCB: Stones 9.1(MoM) LCB: Doria© 7.8 LB: Taylor 7.8 MCR: Bäron 6.8 MCL: Blin 6.8( Kondogbia 60/6.8) MR: Oxlade-Chamberlain 7.3 ML: Sterling 9( Gibbs 70/6.8) STCR: Berahino 6.8 STCL: Malcolm 7.4( Zivkovic 77)

Arsenal 3 ( Stones PEN 24 & PEN 49 , Malcolm 70)

Reading 0

After a Xmas and work-based hiatus, I finally finished 2015-16.

A quick recap of 2014-15; we finished 3rd in the Prem, a solid effort marred by early inconsistency away from home and the struggle to find a viable road tactic. That was the chief aim for 2015-16; develop away-day solidity and get closer to challenging the Chelsea gravy train.

Prem

Chelsea yet again began the season in storming fashion, lacing Burnley 7-0 and then repeating the trick against Spurs five games later, 7-1, a Spurs whom were then top with a 5-1-0 record. This characterised the first half of the season, a spectacular display of goalscoring prowess; both Diego Costa and future World Player of the Year Eden Hazard on fire. Both myself and Man Utd struggled to hang on to Chelsea's coat tails, but eventually took advantage of a drop in form to overhaul Mourinho by the halfway stage. After 19 games I was top - 13-5-1 - Utd and Chelsea 2pts and 4pts adrift. Utd were a different beast from their goal-happy form of 2014-15; with Falcao back at Monaco they lost their edge, instead replacing it with a lockdown defensive game under the tutelage of Philip Cocu.

This set up a titanic battle. Chelsea lost their way and two runs of 3 defeats in 4 and 3 successive defeats cast the Blues out of the race. Utd were grinding out win after win though and repeatedly snuck to the top of the table as we traded places weekly. With five games to go:

S25togo_zps7b6912bb.jpg

A Utd 0-0 draw at Norwich set me up with a two point advantage, and three successive wins apiece meant I went into a final-day encounter at Stoke needing only to avoid defeat to seal the title. Utd were at Newcastle. An early lead wiped out by Diouf set up a nervy finale, but we hung on for a draw and a title win, rendered irrelevant anyway as Utd lost 1-0. A hell of a race, as Utd's 23 goals conceded was the real bedrock on which they ground out win after win.

Elsewhere, Wenger's Southampton finished 13th and he was sacked, to be replaced by...David Moyes :o

S2-PremTable_zpsab3c3948.jpg

Champions League

Season2-ChampionsLeague_zps07d0c7a5.png

The Champions League campaign was enjoyable, if ultimately unsuccessful. A solid group win and victory over CSKA in the knockouts set up Barcelona, whom had overcame me in the knockouts the previous season. This time it was no mercy as we absolutely routed them 5-1 at the Emirates and sealed the deal with a 4-5 win at the Camp Nou - a game in which I was 1-5 ahead before a late bout of complacency. Welbeck tore them apart, bagging 4. Pratto scored the other, notable as my favourite goal all season - a flowing one-touch team move that shredded the Barca backline.

Any delusions of grandeur were soon shattered by a 4-0 defeat at Bayern's Alianz Arena, a deficit so comprehensive I simply played the backups in the return leg to concentrate on a heavy Prem and FA Cup schedule. Still, at very least we announced ourselves as future contenders.

FA Cup

Season2-FACup_zpsb8ee5f87.png

The FA Cup was a taxing schedule in lieu of challenges elsewhere, and playing Prem opportunity at every turn. We made the final against Chelsea, led twice, before eventually falling to two Hazard pens, the Belgian unstoppable.

League Cup

Season2-LeagueCup_zpsbcf54d53.png

Typically, Chelsea also ended our altogether brief League Cup run.

S2-SquadStats_zpsfd12f26c.jpg

In summary, the new away-game 442 diamond proved a resounding success, transforming a 7-6-6 record in 2014-15 to a 10-7-2. Only one additional goal scored but, crucially, 9 less conceded. 16 in 19 Prem games providing a solid platform. I like the formation a lot, the pressure through the centre can tear opponents asunder. A big difference was that we quelled the over-reliance on Giroud, developing threats from all over the pitch. Giroud and Welbeck topscored on 23 apiece, an awesome effort from the latter as Welbeck was the least used player in the entire squad until Xmas. When he got a chance he grabbed it and is now the undisputed no.1 striker at the club, also winning the European Championships Golden Boot on 6, as England were defeated late by France 2-3.

Ozil deservedly won Fans Player of the Year, revelling in the deep-lying forward role in the home 442, destroying teams as the attacking midfielder in the diamond. 17 goals and 16 assists. The diamond did shut out certain players; both Sanchez and Konoplyanka tended to feature in home games only. The Chilean doesn't seem to relish playing upfront, so was limited to the right winger position in the 442. 12 goals and 16 assists was a good return considering. The diamond also got the best out of Wilshere and Ramsey, allowing me to play them in tandem; 5 goals and 11 assists the former, 7 goals and 7 assists the latter.

All of the new signings proved successful. Kailnic had an early chance to impress due to an injury to Szczesny and didn't disappoint, a capable backup. Ward-Prowse transitioned nicely to rightback and is emerging as Debuchy's longterm replacement. S.Bender patrolled the DM position well. Konoplyanka is a real asset as a left winger, 11 goals and 9 assists. Pratto made a solid contribution following his January move. My favourite signing was Michael Bradley though, an absolute warrior who even replaced the impressive L.Bender as my ball-winning midfielder in the 442. He is an ideal all-rounder for DM/BWM/B2B.

Summer Plans

I am a big fan of minimal changes and the squad didn't need them, well balanced all round. Monreal had dropped off a bit and I decided to move him on, joining Arteta and Flamini at West Ham's ex-Arsenal contingent for £2.8m. Layvin Kurzawa edged out Erkin Caner as my signing, a £13.5m agreed. I also considered selling Cazorla, nearing his 32nd birthday. I had numerous AMs on scout the whole season. Firmino was my favourite, but the scouts seemed to think he has a mild personality disorder! De Bruyne, Cabella and Fred were other strong contenders. I'd eventually settled on De Bruyne, but Mario Gotze became an option late in the day and I went with him. A £22m deal was good value, although becoming my highest paid player on £190k per week and the thick end of £13m in signing fees was steep for a non-essential player.

I will find it difficult moving on Cazorla though, he does such a reliable job. The academy is beginning to produce viable youngsters; Zelalem is nearing maturity and Sascha Horvath is impressive. I also have Marcos Astina, a 20-year old Argentinian who looks like he could have serious Agueroesque mojo in a season or two. All-told the squad is looking one or two players overstocked; I may have to move on Pratto and perhaps loan out Berahino. He hasn't done much of note, though 16 goals for WBA on-loan the previous season is stopping me selling him outright.

No other transfer plans are in motion. The end of next season will probably see the departure of Mertesacker or Koscielny, as they head towards my usual cut-off point of 32/33. John Stones is my longterm target here.

Tactically I am happy with the advanced home 442 and the away diamond 442, but have begun to trial a 433 to add additional variety. A 433 featuring a deep-lying forward and two complete forwards, acting quite similarly to the diamond.

Hi Fellow Gunners,

I thought it was about time I finally started a save with my club. I was thinking about it the other day and remembered I never played an Arsenal save in fm14 for some reason I still dunno why but I won't make that mistake this year ;). I already know a few players that i'll defiantly be shipping out as I don't rate them in fm and I defiantly don't think they should be playing for us irl aswell. They will be :-

Arteta

Flamini (Both getting on in years)

Lukas Podolski

Per Mertesacker

Nacho Monreal

Abou Diaby (too many injury problems)

Tomas Rosicky

Olivier Giroud (although don't mind him irl out of all players I've listed I would prefer to have a world class striker upfront like a Cavani if I can afford him)

Hopefully these will be easy to shift and with the amount of cash I can get from them it should allow me to bring in some quality replacements but then again as we all know in fm it aint as easy to shift some players than others but whatever happens i'll keep you all posted on how I do along my journey :)

Archived