The worst striker you've ever had?

What's the worst striker you've ever had? The striker doesn't need to be the worst stats wise but more of biggest flop. My worst experience was prob about 4 or 5 years ago I snapped up an ageing Hernan Crespo for my beloved Birmingham. He was never signed to be a starter but as someone to thicken out the squad and chip in with a few goals here and there, but after 27 games a hatful of misses, a missed pen he topped it all off when I was trailing in a match and there was a open goal and he clattered the ball off the post from about a yard out. He never played for the club again, he was signed on a free and was free again 12 months later when he was released having never scored a single goal for the club.

Andrew Mangan about 3 or 4 versions ago.

I needed a pacy striker and from who I could find and was willing to join me in the Conference he looked the best and seemed to have scored regularly for Forest Green. Unlike Crespo in your game Mangan actually scored a couple of goals but was otherwise so woeful I had to drop him play slow strikers and try to push the wingers up to try to get some pace up front. It didn't work.

Bought a striker before, had a good goal scoring record.

After six months he still hadn't scored for me.

At half time of his last match for the club he was getting a 4.5 I right clicked on his name and choose Terminate Contract to the tune of €3m.

Money well spent.

Juraj Halenar. It was for Blackburn in their recent first season back in the Championship. The first season deadline-day loan which I made permanent in January after he'd scored about 20 goals. I was so excited when he agreed terms, I was thinking 'Man, I can't wait to sell this guy on' as he only cost about 600k from Slovan Bratislava.

Never scored again.

While managing Wolves on CM00-01, I signed a Danish free agent by the name of Anders Mandrup. He played about 20 games in two years, and did not score a single goal. Amazingly, even though we were only in Division 1, I was still able to sell Mandrup to Premiership side Preston for £650,000!

As far as recent FMs are concerned, my biggest flop is probably Nicola Ventola. I signed him for Millwall in the first season on FM11, but he really struggled with injuries and scored just four times in 24 games. Ventola left the club by mutual consent after less than 12 months.

I offer up the ultimate "looks like a complete bargain, amazing stats" striker who you just can't believe is only 5m, and then proceeds to never, ever, score or train or earn his wage packet in any way whatsoever....

Vagner Love.

You know you've all succumbed. Brazilian, cheap, awesome stats, lazy headcase.

On my very first save on the FM14 beta around a year ago, I signed Steven Fletcher for my Gladbach side. I had a decent tactic with great wingers creating loads of chances, but the amount he missed was unreal. Sold him at the end of the first season. I've never went near him every save since. Even my Sunderland save I played Altidore instead, that's how bad it was.

I can remember Fletcher being an absolute beast in my Everton team in FM08, but he seems awful in this version.

Somehow Abel Hernandez never scored for me in 32 games on FM14.

Shipped him out to Porto for £3m more than I bought him for in the summer.

Where he scored zero league goals for them the next season. Something like 55 league games in a row without a goal.

My worst striker was actually recently and I was gonna post a screenshot here on this forum to ask WHY he's so crap. But I'm lazy so I didnt. But now I will.

So answer me this: why is this player so crap? All I can point to is his poor physical attributes, but other than that he should be class imo. His personality is Model Professional, he's got good striker attributes but he just never scored for me. Had to ship him off to Forest as I just got sick of him.

80a1daa2a6.jpg

Average decisions, strength and bravery means he's probably just scared of the putting his body in there, and his physical stats are average enough that if he does decide to go for it he wont get there anyway. Short, light, wimpy player usually is harder to get to work properly in the FM engine, which loves fast strong guys.

(which is the opposite of my experience with Forest-era Collymore)

My worst striker was the first player I ever signed in CM/FM! I started out as Crystal Palace on CM3 and found myself with no serviceable strikers. I signed Charlie Nicholas, who was still in the database and must have been about 40. Don't think he got a sniff of goal, I released him after about 10 games.

I thought I'd pulled off a coup when signing Vincenzo Iaquinta for my Chungju Hummel side in South Korea, on a one year deal with an option for an extra year. He was on by far the highest wage at the club and he was absolutely awful, scoring 1 goal in about 18 matches. In the end, I gave up on him and he didn't even get on the bench ahead of my terrible youngsters who barely made double-figures with any of their attributes, as I knew bringing him on would just be a waste of time.

I didn't take up the option for the extra year, and he retired shortly afterwards.

In FM10, it was Robin Van Persie. Scored 15 goals in one particular season And the vast majority of those were penalties. Chicharito scored 20 in less than half the games RVP played for me.

Not really an out and out striker, but Adel Taarabt springs to mind. Whinge, whinge, whinge, whinge, whinge. Everything I did upset him. I think he would have found a way to be angry with me if I doubled his wages! I will NEVER EVER touch him again in any future version of the game.

I think it was in FM12 - Raul. He had excellent attributes but he was just too slow and too weak to make an impact with the FM12 match engine, which, if I recall correctly, favored fast strikers. I am sure in FM14 he would have been much better for me. In FM12 he just did not score. He was paired with Huntelaar, who again had great stats but was slow, but he at least headed some in and his finishing was just excellent.

signed 4.5 star KANNOUTE in january transfer window 30K/month, played 8 matches+subs then he got injured for 2-3 months(rest of season) with fear career over message, then he got injured in mid-preseason for 7 months, his agent left him and ... I offered him U18 manager contract 7K/month to cut wages and on top his coach stats are crap...

A couple of years ago I signed Dutch striker Glynor Plet for my Rosenborg side... His attributes looked above average for the Norwegian league, yet again he couldn't hit a barn door and I eventually had to sell him at the earliest opportunity. Twenty-something apps, ONE goal.

Back on FM06 I paid a whopping £6k for a striker in the Swedish Div1 (can't remember if North or South). He'd scored well for a team relegated from the division and looked to be streets ahead of my other strikers. Scored 4 that season, 2 from the spot but on the plus side he made a decent right winger.

Seemingly it is Andy Carroll in FM14. Awaiting 15 I decided to have a bit of fun and upped Carroll's stats in the editor to see if I could get him to score. Not all of them mind you but had Finishing 18, Heading 19, Decisions 15, Positioning 15 (didn't want to go over the top!!). He gets chances but more often than not blasts it straight at the keeper from about 5 yards out or blasts over the bar from about 30 yards!! Now either strikers were pretty shocking in FM 14 or maybe leaving his composure and technique at normal levels was the issue, but I have seen too many easy opportunities missed by going straight at the keeper. Must be my tactics!!!

basically any 2nd choice striker I have

have bad memories of Oscar Cardozo, who scored 1 goal in about 25 appearances for me, before I got rid of him

He was awesome for me, top scorer in my Spartak Moscow team, loved his long shots. He could score from anywhere, no need for pace.

I just came up in the premier league as Colwyn Bay, and I needed a new striker (Newcastle offered me 50 million dollars for mine so I took it, plus I needed extra reinforcements) so I bought this Serbian striker for about 7 million. Did nothing for me! he scored no goals, I sold him to some team in France where he also scored no goals... finally made his way back to Red Star Belgrade where he started scoring again.

As it turns out, if you play for the best team in a league you will probably get goals even if you're actually a terrible striker.

Yann Kermorgant... *insert swear word here*

Brought him to Bristol City for £450 000. Played 11 games scored twice and had 1 assist. Played rubbish! (6.45 Avg.R). Sold the following summer for half of what I bought him for.

Back in FM 2007 I had a Shakhtar Donetsk save and I brought in Adriano from Inter, taking into consideration most of the Ukrainian league is average at best, I thought he would bang them in on a regular basis, how wrong was I - he was awful never scored once in 20 + appearances (maybe I was too patient with him!) average rating was poor also - couldn't get rid of him at the end of the season so he rot away in the Shakhtar 3rd team for a couple seasons, his wages were astronomical as well!

The worst striker I've ever had is in my current save with AS Roma (updated to this season). His name is M. Destro. He should be a great talent, but I have never had anyone who missed as many CCC as he does. I think on average he almost misses 2 CCC per game, which is alot!! He scored 1 time I think in about 15 matches.

Is it possible to look this up in the engine, as I am really curious.

The worst striker I've ever had is in my current save with AS Roma (updated to this season). His name is M. Destro. He should be a great talent, but I have never had anyone who missed as many CCC as he does. I think on average he almost misses 2 CCC per game, which is alot!! He scored 1 time I think in about 15 matches.

Is it possible to look this up in the engine, as I am really curious.

I am convinced that there has always been an issue with "straight" chances in FM14. Even with headers. Andy Carroll can score with flicked headers for me into the near corner of far corner but two yards out straight at the keeper. Same with shooting unless the player is further out then you may see a straight pile driver but a CCC two yards out straight at keeper. Why are a lot of goals on many a tactic scored by the wingers or IF's rather than the strikers? Because they are angled shots which seem to go in, unless of course your wide man blasts it into the side netting!!!

With Carroll I tried to get him to learn another execution of finishing but the coaches always say he hasn't managed to learn it. Maybe I am a conspiracy theorist but I am sure that if straight shots could just be slotted past the goalkeeper then I suspect strikers would be scoring too many goals!

I am taking back everything I said. In the 2nd half of the season Destro rocked! Scoring 1 on average every game and now even awarded for player of the season (lol!). Changed his role to poacher and this seemed to work. I got the feeling he got less chances now, but when he does get a chance he scores.

I've got a regen from Argentina at Bayern, Rene Tevez, had 4 star potential but didn't do anything in 2 years of rotational starts. He was getting ratings over 7, seemed to be getting in position, but wouldn't score no matter how much they fed him the ball. Contract was up in six months, his agent said he didn't want want to talk, Dortmund signed him for next season...and now he's scored 8 goals in 5 games.

My worst one, was way back when Champ Manager moved onto the PC from Amiga, so could have been number 2, 2 player hotseat game with my brother and I'm Arsenal, some great signings and team looking good except just needed a quality forward. Step forward Sonny Anderson from Lyon, purchased for £8 million pounds, when that amount was unheard of on Champy, 8 games no goals and average rating of 5.3, marked him out as the benchmark of flops, still referred to now by my brother and I on any 2 player game we play when a big money striker makes a slow start

Kris Boyd for Blackpool on FM14 . Scored 16 goals for Kilmarnock in the SPL by the January transfer window, signed him for 600k and he couldn't hit a barn door in the Championship. I'm almost certain that his wee character in 3D mode started to get fatter and slower as the season wore on.

Kris Boyd for Blackpool on FM14 . Scored 16 goals for Kilmarnock in the SPL by the January transfer window, signed him for 600k and he couldn't hit a barn door in the Championship. I'm almost certain that his wee character in 3D mode started to get fatter and slower as the season wore on.

You should have learnt from Boyd's stint at Boro.

Stevan Jovetic signed on loan from Man City for Norwich, with World Class stats i thought he would be knocking them in left right and centre after 12 starts only 1 goal and a hatful of misses that only really required a toe poke. The goal was against league 2 opposition in the Capital One Cup. Sent him packing back to Man City in January as i was paying his massive wage packet for a striker that fell to 4th string under Wolfswinkel, Hooper and Leigh Griffiths (signed from Celtic, average stats but was always in the right place at the right time ala Mark Robins). I had 18yr old kids that were better than him!

Archived