Club is valued at £0

My club is valued at £0.

That's bad, right? It certainly sounds bad! :)

Serious question though; what implications could this have?

I'm managing Oxford City and am currently in the Skrill Premier. The club has never been in a good financial position in the 5 years I've been with them but somehow we've always managed to keep going. Normally when things get bad, the board injects some cash and we carry on. The board haven't done this for a while though and I'm starting to get hampered by low budgets.

I've been focusing on doing all I can to bring success to the club as I figured that's really the only practical way for me to help improve the finances. If the board allows me to do something, then I will do it if I think it will make us a better club. But now I've noticed the club valuation of £0 I'm starting to wonder if things are about to hit the rocks. We also have about £30K debt (the board took out a loan a few years back to upgrade the stadium after being promoted).

I'm kind of hoping that we get taken over by some mega-wealthy tycoon, but apparently the chairman will never leave the club of his own volition, so am not certain how likely that scenario is.

Has anyone been in a similar situation to this and how did it play out? Is it possible for a club to die under a huge pile of unpaid bills?

In real life big clubs are sometimes sold for 1 GBP. It means the new owner is taking on the debts, which might be a few million (or hundreds of thousands in a non-league case.

If I remember correctly, that was the case with Portsmouth?

In real life big clubs are sometimes sold for 1 GBP. It means the new owner is taking on the debts, which might be a few million (or hundreds of thousands in a non-league case.
Ken Bates bought Chelsea for £1 didn't he when they we about to go out of business?

You need the £1 figure to make the contract of purchase legal I think. As in to be given to you for nothing, not bought, brings in a whole different set of rules and all that guff. I've seen a multi-£100 million enabling and support 25 year contract signed for a pound. They mounted it (the pound coin) in a frame with loads of blurb in their reception.

Archived