PGC: The Italian Job for FM15

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

siena.png

So, another season over, and yet another season in Serie C/A awaits...

The season ended in a huge dissapointment, as we went on a catastrophic run in the final 10 games of the season, before which we were in 2nd and with a great possibility of winning the league. But suddenly nothing worked anymore, we lost by 4-5 goals to teams from the bottom half of the league and dropped out of PO. With 1 game left, we had an outside chance of PO, if the two teams just above us both lost - WHICH THEY DID! But... Simply to prove how poor form we were in, we chose to collapse in that game and lost out on the PO!

19-01-15-Screenshot_1.png

I was pretty angry with losing out on PO, since we have one of the best sides in the league, but this was a season where the defence simply struggled compared to previous seasons. The season before, we had a top 5 defence, but this season, we let in a massive 60 goals!

19-01-15-Screenshot_4.png

19-01-15-Screenshot_5.png

As can be seen above, we scored 1.8 goals per game, but let in 1.6, and with those stats, you simply can't expect to get PO in a tough league. We had 3 players with 10+ goals, but only one with more than 10, which was a bit dissapointing, since I play 2 strikers up front... Tallo was the leading goal scorer in the league the previous season, but only got a 3rd this season.

19-01-15-Screenshot_2.png

We've been giving the same wage budget as last season, but I've moved some of the transfer budget over to wages instead, since the screen shot was taken. I rarely spend money on fees except agent fees, so they are better spent on wages, since I'm spending a very high amount on that.

For the new season, I'm looking to offload a few unhappy players, I've released over half of my U19's, and I'm hoping to sell a 2-4 players. One of my best DC's is on his way out, as he had a poor season with below-par performances, so I'm hopefully bringing in an even better replacement. I'm looking to try some new formations, as I didn't get enough out of my strikers. The goal is for Tallo to get 25+ this season, and I'm gonna be trying 2 new formations to achieve that. The main idea is to go with a stronger defence, but more creative offence as well, which might cost a bit in the midfield. I haven't been playing any attacking wingers so far in FM15, but I always did in 14, so I'm gonna be bringing that back as well... My thoughts are a 3 DC 2 wing backs, 2 midfielders, 2 wingers who cuts inside and Tallo in front as one of the tactics, while another will be a more attacking approach with 3 strikers, but no wingers...

19-01-15-Screenshot_3.png

END-SEASON REVIEW (2017/18)

Stemma_Pro_Vercelli.jpg

FIXTURES

h9IeDsL.png

tb7ngnd.png

Media Prediction: 20th. Actual League Position: 10th.

As you can see, we far exceeded the expectations of the fans, the media, and of my own, really. Before the season started I would have been very happy with 14th and satisfied with 17th, so to get 10th was very pleasing indeed. We started the season patchily, as to be expected, before hitting some poor form. This was entirely my own fault, as I tried my attacking 433 formation too much and got punished for it. I switched back to 352 for the majority of games and we almost immediately went on a stupendous run, worrying the Champions League clubs for a while, before dropping away and holding position in 10th. Along the way we also got to the final of the Italian Cup, the first human to get past the quarters, but lost to Napoli, who collapsed to 6th in the league, from a comfortable 3rd, meaning I missed out on Europe. Even when Roma were expelled for breaching FFP, their place went to 7th placed Sampdoria.

TRANSFERS

lNQJ0IJ.png

I really pushed the boat out with a few of the transfers, but being unable to offer large wages, funds were plunged into fees instead. The big successes were Rescaldani; he led the line superbly for me, scored plenty of goals and was awarded 'Signing of the Season'; and Rajkovic, who played brilliantly pretty much all season and is my goalkeeping position solved for the next decade. Qualified successes were Loret Sadiku and Evgeny Sviatchenko. Sadiku was an unknown, and despite not possessing stand out stats, he came so highly recommended that I had to sign him at that price. Sviatchenko wan't quite as good, but still a success, with me rescuing him from Milan's reserves. He injured himself in the first day of training for two months and was shaky when he came back from it, but sorted himself out eventually with some excellent performances.

Not quite as good was Toornstra; he really struggled in the role I asked him to play, being fairly ineffective as a BBM and I am looking to replace him this summer. Salifu also disappointed after 3 red cards and a 4.4 against Juventus, but pulled himself together to be not bad after Christmas. The rest were just squad fillers really.

No real big departures as squad players ST Larrondo, DM Muntari and BBM Renan all were sold for small sums, but as they all came in on frees the year before, wasn't too bad business.

This seson can be summed up with one "word": meh!

Started out fairly poor, but we then went on a terrifc run throughout Christmas and after newyears. It was going so good that we were in 2nd Place, just a couple of Points behind pace setters Torino with 10 games to go.

Then came the crash. 0 wins in the last 10, with devestating home and away defeats to all the teams around us in the table.

This saw Our season just fizzle out with a 10th Place finish. Before the season started, I would have taken that easily. But when you're sitting 2nd with 10 games to go, and not lost in 20, to end up in 10th Place is nothing short of a disgrace. To add to my misery, little old nemesis Ali snuck out of the League via the Playoffs yet again. That's 6 Points I was banking on for this coming season I know have to pick up elsewhere :(

Props where props are due though. Jay did the opposite of me, and smashed the last 10-15 games and Powered out of the division.

I am totally revamping he Squad this summer, the only question is whether or not I will be able to bring in quality, and not just quantity like last year. Regardless, I am looking forward to getting a New season underway, and hopefully we will be able to sustain a Whole season, and not just 2/3!

-Kim

062f7306-f9fd-47e6-937c-09ea94e2bc50_zpsf99e2968.jpg Spezia Calcio

The draw has been made and its a tough one Spezia have been given no easy ride in this there first season in Europe they have been drawn against Spanish high flyers Real Sociadad german surprise package Frieburg and oil rich Dynam Moscow speaking at the draw was Andrew Gillespie

" well that's not going to be easy is it, il say this though we didn't work hard all last season to finish in the European place to just lie down and say its too hard or were not ready were going to go into every game expecting 3 points il settle for no more and no less from my players we want to be here next year and the year after that the fans deserve these trips to Russia and spain and Germany and I want these clubs next year to be wanting to avoid us in the draw "

6a10f736-3706-455c-a12f-6dd2d6a30aa8_zps4e6dbed6.png 370e278f-c668-4001-9bb5-99ec26d8048b_zps4d4c1231.png

Dynamo Moscow have a lot of quality star striker korkorin will pose a goal threat and dzsudzsak will provide the ammunition cristopher samba is a rock at the back and anton shunin is a top quality goalkeeper

9304e2fe-cd96-4a14-b06d-ac9447acc1c6_zps464d87a7.png d37bef02-bfbd-45cd-a2f5-3cdde74b8882_zps6f8fe00b.jpg

If Spezia want to take anything away from Frieburg they'll have to cope with Kadlec and Jovetics firepower up front these two are a more than capable strike force and are definatly Frieburgs main threat

23d6d4a1-00a6-48d1-b4b8-97d17f153cd6_zps27232098.png 75b43ac2-0583-46ba-9f78-40eb4a6eade8_zps71de6db6.jpg

Real Sociadad are the early favourites for the group there team is full of international quality Jermain Lens Ignacio Camacho Ruben Pardo inigo Martinez and gerard deolofou to name a few Spezia will need to work hard all over the pitch to get anything from these games

Andrew Gillespie has singled out the 3 players he feels can take spezia through to the knockout stages midfielder Jose Welison last summers big buy who really showed his quality in the second half of the season defender Jesus Valejo a loan signing from arsenal who is expecting to play the majority of the European games and this summers star signing Acosta from Boca Juniors who is expected to make and take the goals needed to progress

All three are lucky to have made the squad though as it transpired that a mix up with the Squad registration times meant that the Spezia manager had to rush his final draft and theres some star names who didn't make the cut the manager when asked about this refused to confirm or deny this saying

" were blooding some youngsters we don't have a big squad and the league has to remain our priority did I get everyone in I wanted ? ask me after the group stages il tell you if im happy or not "

v.png

Another week and am still here :) am doing ok in the league at the moment hoping to get into the playoff place that would be a huge bonus for me but only time will tell

bv.png

As you might be able to see i have lost to all the clubs who sit above me in the table so far 1 thing i have to do it take points from these clubs if i have any chance of pushing for the top 4 and the play off place

vv-1.png

I said in my last post i needed money rather fast and that i had put a few players up for sale well not 1 single club came in for any of my tranfer listed players the board keep giving me a few thousand every so often to keep us going but that cant really cant go on in the long run

hg.png

newbadge-1.png

AndyF - U.S Latina

Not the start I was hoping for this season as we languish in the bottom half of the table after 10 games and already out of the Italian Cup beaten by Foggia in the 2nd Qualifying Round.

Lets hope our fortune changes for the better and results start improving so we can start making steady process back up the league.

Until Next Time

SUMMER TRANSFERS SHOWCASE (2018/19)

Stemma_Pro_Vercelli.jpg

I don't normally publish detailed screenshots of my transfer activity, but I felt it would be appropriate this summer, so pleased am I with our business. I fixed every squad deficiency I could and more.

First up, coming in on a Bosman free, was Srdjan Mijailovic. I had identified him as the effective ball-winning midfielder we needed back in November of last year, after Salifu's failure to impress following his transfer last summer, and arranged to sign Mijailovic in January. He took up one of my two designated non-EU transfers, but is well worth it, especially for no fee. He is classed as a 'consistent performer' and 'relishes big matches'.

Another transfer coming in on the opening day of the window was 18 year old hot prospect Tunahan Yilmaz, signed for £2m. Another transfer I arranged earlier in the year, in February, he looks to have the potential to be a stunning attacking wing-back, but has unfortunately been injured his entire Pro Vercelli career so far!

Third to come in was another hot, but less raw, prospect, Axel Prohouly. He looks like he is about to explode into a fine player after playing just reserve football for the past couple of years, and at £7.5m, he had better had do! The unplanned transfer later in this window of Correa might see his starter opportunities more limited than they were first planned to be however.

The fourth and final transfer pre-arranged before July 1 was solid centre back Matteo Bianchetti. He is not the kind of player that jumps off the page at you, but he has topped the tackling, interception and heading stats in Serie A for the past two seasons, holding together an abject Empoli side. If he continues to play that way for us he could easily become captain too, with his leadership qualities, also being listed as 'highly reliable'.

Now, at this point, I was happy with my business, the four main targets were acquired already, and any further deals would be luxuries. And boy, did I get a couple of gems!

First up, much to my surprise, Lorenzo Crisetig was available for a very reasonable price from Fiorentina (£7m) and I swooped in without hesitation. One of my favourite midfielders in the game, he has a little bit of everything and suits my team down to the ground, especially being able to settle in easily, playing in the league already and being Italian.

Secondly, and even more to my surprise, the excellent Angel Correa was available, seemingly (bizarrely) out of favour at Atletico, used almost exclusively in the role of a super-sub last season for them. He is not quite as good as he often is by this age, but I believe there is still time to change that. It required a big contract to get him, including fighting off the offer from Real Sociedad, but the difficulties didn't end there. I quite frankly, didn't have the cash to afford him and I desperately tried to raise this. At this point, importantly, Jens Toornstra was refusing to move, so I resorted to bringing DC Daniel Devine back into the fold and moving on youngster DC Nicolas Beck instead (Beck was worth more), plus my back-up keeper, Marius Halvorsen and young striker Ciro Ranieri. This somehow meant I had enough funds to adjust my budget to seal the deal, after two weeks of delays, but also meant I was way over wage budget now! This was solved once I finally sold Jens Toornstra. Oh, and all this Correa wrangling happened while I could barely get in the game to action all this due to connection issues!

So, as you may be able to tell, what was meant to be a quiet and organised window, turned into one with no little havoc. The sales of youngsters Halvorsen, Ranieri and Beck all upset the squad however, three players being unhappy and a further seven agreeing. Thankfully that has now cleared up in late October. Halvorsen failed to play one game last season, behind Rajkovic, and Ranieri and Beck, while they have their qualities, were never going to be good enough in the long-term, Ranieri not technical enough and Beck too short to be a DC. The club made £1m on each of them, Beck signed for £1.5m two seasons ago and Ranieri a home-grown player, while Halvorsen was a £600k profit. I signed Russo, who was originally here when I joined the club, on loan as back-up to Rajkovic. Ighalo will also be released when I get chance.

After the Correa transfer, N'Goyi and Berntsen both went to Ali's San Marino for reasonable fees. N'Goyi joined the previous summer as a back-up DM for free, while Berntsen was signed in my very first summer, for £375k. Other departures included Umberto Germano, who had been agitating for a move after losing his first-team RWB spot to Dalsgaard, home-grown Towa to AndyF's Latina, and the disappointing Jens Toornstra to Bologna for £2.5m, a £2m loss in one year. Quite frankly, I overpaid for him originally, and knew my mistake as soon as I saw him play. Almost as important as all these comings and goings was hanging on to my star striker Ezequiel Rescaldani, who was available for £10m to Champions League clubs, until recently signing a new deal.

So basically the movement looked like this, large upgrades in every outfield change. Net spend was £19m, seemingly a large amount of money, but we are healthily in the black, have a new 24K stadium coming in two years to replace our paltry 4K current one, and the six permanent deals will be at the club for at least the next five years, while our wage bill is still one of the lowest in the league:

GK: Halvorsen <----> Russo

DR: Germano <-----> Yilmaz

DC: Beck <----------> Bianchetti

DM: N'Goyi <--------> Mijailovic

MC: Toornstra <-----> Crisetig

AM: Berntsen <-----> Prohouly

AM: Ighalo <--------> Correa

A. Gillespie - Spezia (Continental B License)

Brand new to the PGC, Andy has made his acumen very apparent right off the bat with Spezia, the club with the most easily liquidated playing assets for rebuilding. They are initially one of the richer clubs too, but with a relatively small stadium, early success could be required as the Little Eagles have never tasted Serie A. In the second season, taste Serie A they did, after Andy won promotion. It didn't take long for Andy to settle in to life at the top, with a 13th place finish. He has brought well with an unconventional asymmetric formation and was rewarded with a 5th place finish and European qualification in his 4th season. One thing that has been noted, is that Andy appears to start seasons slow before rallying his side during the latter stages of the season. A risky trick to pull off, what with the trigger happy Chairman across Italy, but Andy seems to have found a home at Spezia.

SJ8eyH1.jpg

R. Callan - Pro Vercelli (National A License)

By all accounts, Ryan did a superb job on his debut in PGC, steering Roda JC from second division mediocrity to European champions in short order, having joined part way through the game. However, the highest level of success came after the withdrawal of another top manager from Twente, and the subsequent switch from the ultra-dominant force of Feyenoord to Twente, by Ali. It seems unlikely that he would have enjoyed such success without this movement, but 18 trophies, including two Trebles, certainly demands respect for PGC 15. He has chosen a difficult task, with Pro Vercelli being a C club masquerading as B side. A rich history is behind them, having won seven Serie A titles and producing the top scorer in Italy, Silvio Piola, but with a tiny stadium the odds are against them. The question is: was PGC 14 a flash in the pan for Ryan? The answer to that is too early to tell, but Ryan has made light work of pushing Pro Vercelli into European qualification contention. Like Gillespie, he buys well in the transfer market, often opting for younger talent and this policy has served him well so far in FM 2015. After 4 years of success, Ryan's stadium issue has been solved, with a new 24,000 seater in the offing for two seasons time. Whether this capacity is enough for the latter stages of the game remains to be seen.

47DHhq3.jpg

P. Nervio - Pisa (Continental C License)

Pedro is a new recruit to PGC, coming across with friends Jean and Mike. He arrives with a reputation of being an excellent FM player, so all are eager to see how he performs. Pisa are his club of choice, and he has chosen wisely, Pisa argubely the strongest club across all three C divisions aside from Lecce. They also have great potential for expansion with a large stadium and potential fanbase. They last played in Serie A as a stereotypical yo-yo club in the 80s and early 90s. Can Nervio live up to the hype? Live up to the hype he did, with back-to-back promotions (both league wins) to earn his place in Serie A. His maiden season in Italy's top flight began strongly, before he fell back into mid-table during the latter stages as Ryan's Pro Vercelli and Andy's Spezia skipped above him. Nothing disgraceful about that of course, and he has began his 4th season in the PGC strongly, in the hunt for that European qualification position. Favouring a formation that utilises a DM to shield the back four and an AMC as part of a front three, Pedro has found system that has the edge over the human managers thus far.

CwNYN9L.jpg

J. Purchase - Cesena (Continental B License)

Friends with both Pedro and Mike, Jamie joins the PGC with a reputation as a very attacking manager. Attacking formations have served some managers very well during the early days, such as Ali and Jack during FM 2012, or Kim during FM 2013, but with their strengths came some glaring weaknesses. The top managers were able to plug these so called weaknesses and went on to win countless trophies and Jay seems to be taking the steps in the right direction. His maiden season in the PGC ended with promotion to Serie A with Cesena, after finishing 2nd during a late dash for the Serie B title. Computer issues have plagued Jay since then, with his Assistant Manager stepping up to the plate, keeping Cesena in a relatively safe position in Serie A.

wUlWqaV.jpg

A. Turner - San Marino (Continental C License)

Ali was the most successful manager on PGC 14, winning countless Eredivisie's with his all-conquering Feyenoord side and adding a few with Twente also. The Champions League win came later than perhaps it should, but this was made up by his beaten league season in his final year at Feyenoord. A move to Twente followed, after a brief sojourn at Ajax, and there he found it more of a struggle with the efforts of Roda to contend with. For 15, he takes on one of the biggest challenges in Italy: San Marino. They lack in all areas, but his spare time limited, it remains to be seen if Ali can put in the effort required to consolidate their position in C, never mind push on. Limited spare time seems not to be an issue, as Ali has ploughed his way into Italy's elite league with back-to-back play-off victories. After attracting crowds of just over 300 fans, San Marino now sell out their 5000-odd stadium and the finances look rosy. His maiden season in Serie A has started well, with a mid-table position looking the most likely. His 12142 formation drew initial scepticism from the PGC lads, but has so far proved fruitful in his efforts to turn the Titani into a title winning side.

ZneCWeM.jpg

K. Smedegård - Avellino (National B License)

Kim rejoined the PGC after a sabbatical during FM 2014. His preference for the English Premier League has deterred him from his goal of achieving promotion with Avellino and he has begun his second season at a canter, 11 points clear at the top of Serie B after only a few ames had been played. Kim has a reputation for playing both attacking football, and a 'tiki-taka' style, although not necessarily in unison. He is keen to strike up the tactical rivalry he enjoyed with Ali during FM 2012 and will be pleased to find additional competition from a number of managers in FM 2015 - who have shown themselves to be tactically astute and creative. Smedegård initially tried implementing his 'Barcelona 433', a tactical with three central midfielders that focused ball retention with plenty of short, quick passes. After narrowly missing out on the Serie B title in his first season (after a late slide down the leagues, in which he dropped out of the play-offs entirely), the Norwegian manager has switched it up to one of his other favourites, a 424 formation.

qf7JzH6.jpg

A. Fallon - Formerly Latina (National B License)

PGC mainstay AndyF was almost the definitive 'one club man' in PGC 14, steering FC Eindhoven for over 20 years, having ended up there after being sacked by Roda in his first season. The tiny club had significant success under Andy's financial wizardry, with two Dutch Cup wins and just a one season blip in it's Eredivisie stay. Perhaps question marks remain over his ability to step it up to the big time, with his chance at Roda blown, but for now, in PGC 15, he has taken a smaller club again, with Latina his choice. Playing staff that finished 3rd in Serie B last year are really the only plus point in Latina's profile, with average facilities and a small stadium. It may be that a rapid promotion based on the current crop of players will be the best chance for the Lazio-based club, one that has never tasted the riches of Serie A. His 4 seasons in Serie B were up and down, finishing as high as 4th and as low as 17th. He was hoping for a similar career to that of his FM 2014 one, but alas, his time at Latina came to an end despite improving their league position as promised in a board meeting. Some suggested the amount of players complaining about first team opportunities may well have been a factor. It is clear that Andy has gone from strength to strength with each addition of FM and will be looking to add to his overall cup haul, which has become a trademark of his over the last few years in the PGC.

yUudYS1.jpg

S. Abrey - Ancona (National B License)

During PGC 14, Stuart reached the milestone of 100 seasons with the clan, a never before achieved feat. In that game, Stuart threatened great success, but some X-factor saw him pull up short each time he began to grasp at the tablecloth of the big boys' buffet, getting his long-yearned chance at Ajax too late in the game to make any real impact, after almost reaching the elite with NAC Breda. In previous FMs he has enjoyed considerable success, so it's a good bet, he'll return to winning ways this time around. If he is to, though, he will have to overcome poor playing staff that are predicted to finish in the bottom half of Serie C/B. If he recruits well, the stadium and solid finances are in place for a push through the divisions, with their second, and last, stay in Serie A being a decade ago now. Stu has a reputation as a 'lower league manager' in the PGC, which bears some truth to it as he currently leads the lower league trophy leader board with 11 honours to his name. That said, Stu has fallen short in his efforts to reach the Serie B, often stumbling at the last hurdle with Ancona. Some believe the 5th season will be the one and it certainly looks to be going that way, but as Stu knows, getting out of the C leagues is no easy feat. He has bought well over his 4 seasons and enjoyed early cup success against both Serie A and B sides. The quality is clearly there both at managerial and playing staff level, but it's going that extra yard that Stu needs to master.

IZWtr2y.jpg

M. Pauwels - Monza (Continental C License)

Mike, the second of the trio of friends, hails from Belgium, and also comes with the reputation of being a good FM player, if not quite as good as Pedro. He has chosen Reggina, not to be confused with Reggiana, who boast one of the largest stadiums in the C divisions. Predicted to finish 4th, he will need to hit the ground running, but, again, like Pisa, the potential is there, as they had a good run in Serie A earlier this millenium, before being indicted in Calciopoli and being relegated in quick succession from then on. Unfortunately for Mike, he was sacked from Reggina after a poor run of form and he took Monza, a club below the lowest human in Serie C. He has gone from strength to strength since then favouring, like a few others, an attacking 424 formation and regularly challenges for promotion. He has tasted defeat in the play-offs in the last couple of seasons and will be keen to avoid that 'lottery' again with automatic promotion to Serie B.

EIYUSIm.jpg

J. Christensen - Siena (Continental C License)

The Dane has the best youth setup in all of Serie C at Cremonese. Famed for his work with youngsters, he was handed his P45 at a couple of clubs in PGC 14, before finding a home at FC Emmen, a tiny club, who he brought up to the top league twice. Twice the team was relegated immediately, but it could have been oh so different the first time round, had he not been absent for the vast majority of the campaign. As it was, he was sent back to scratching around for players, and never really threatened with any menace again. He was handed his P45 again, this time at Cremonese, before embarking on a solid career with Siena. With a stadium that boasts 4x as many fans as Ali or Ryan can attract, Jonas really does have it made at his new home. Like Mike, Jonas is looking for promotion, but has fallen slightly short after defeats in the first round of the play-offs. He has been consistent season after season however, but with only one automatic promotion spot available, it could develop into a dog-fight down in Serie C/A.

prOfVjd.jpg

D. Milligan - Reggiana (National B License)

Davie was something of a quandary on PGC 14, with his AZ team on the verge of Europe one moment, the verge of relegation the next. It seemed Davie couldn't quite put his finger on the recipe for success or the fault causing failure, so for Serie B he has chosen one of the richest picks available in Perugia who were last in Serie A in 2004 and have been reformed twice since. They also produced Fabrizio Ravanelli and signed the son of Colonel Gaddaffi in the past. With plenty of cash and a large stadium, with moderate initial expectations, he could have been onto a winner. Unfortunately, the Davie we all know and love has resurfaced and he finds himself with 3 sackings in as many seasons. He now finds himself at Reggiana, where he is mounting a solid play-off charge. Whether his inconsistency continues, remains to be seen. Such is the nature of Davie's form over the last couple of FM's, he could find himself battling relegation next season. Of course, if he achieves promotion from Serie C/B, battling relegation in Serie B would be no more than expected.

y1laknE.jpg

21c93501-ba08-42b0-a783-a631962a6860_zps9hdwkutc.jpg Spezia Calcio

Its been a busy January transfer window for the mighty eagles lots of deals were finalised and the team finally showed some of the form from last season.

Its been a tough season so far and Gillespie was definatly feeling the pressure after a tough start and some really disappointing performances and results.

" It was tough not for me ive got a thick skin but for the players we wernt as prepared as I wanted us to be I take all the blame but once we started to click up front and the new players found there feet were a match for anyone in this league slow starts are becoming a bit of a habit but I don't know what we put in the Christmas dinners round here but it definatly does the trick were really happy with our form just now "

8b3209a7-e075-4faf-ad3e-8b93196669c4_zpsboqd1h99.png

In the midst of a really hard group of games just now the results are still looking good with Spezia still in the cup after a tremendous performance against inter with new star striker Acosta showing all of his talent and managing to top there Europa League group aswell after a spirited come back from 2 goals down to Real Sociadad.

There relatively small squad has really struggled to cope at times with players playin not fully fit and out of position no one could question the players commitment to the cause and they really dug in when asked.

378c9dc1-e5ba-4968-b06d-f90fc56d8d29_zpsayumtqkn.png

So Spezia found themselves in the knockout stages much to the surprise of the local media and betting shops around Italy but after topping the group the excitement is reaching fever pitch for the curva ferovia faithfull . Standing between Spezia and the next round is a tough double header against Russian giants Spartak Moscow having already beaten Dynamo Moscow home and away though theres plenty of reason too be optimistic.

43464c99-f983-4493-a238-1bc90e91b118_zpspnxnhkfl.jpgbe5db403-1303-4618-b5f6-1679676ac51c_zpshvzddmve.jpg

Spezia hope to take up to 5000 fans over too Russia for there first trip too the knockout stages and after enjoying there last trip there expect the world famous Spartak fans to welcome them and there players. Europe has helped the club hugely with the extra money very usefull but the status of the club has grown and the clubs reputation goes from strength to strength at home and abroad.

On the transfer front Gillspie has been busy not spending huge fees as the money just isn't there but his ability to work the free transfer market really has helped spezia get players in they couldn't normally afford.

Alen Halilovic who has been on loan with spezia for 4 years was the top target and after a tough fight with Pisa Halilovic finally signed on the dotted line for the mighty eagles. he commented

" its a good move for me I love it here its a home from home ive been made to feel like part of the family here from day one I see lots of the ball the manager has put his trust in me and ive repayed him by signing this contract was Pisa a tempting offer oh yes I thought hard about it but Im playin in Europe for a club whos fans adore me the reasons too stay outweighed the reasons to leave im looking forward to furthering my career and taking spezia onto further glory "

cc64962a-3b8e-41d6-ab34-bcbf6860b4c2_zpsygjvaoqo.jpg 466eeb8f-8bd5-416e-a6a9-84f14c5e2794_zpsj7gbn0zd.jpg

708826c4-180d-46ea-9626-c4b43d3e4f64_zpsnwnmjogy.png

Also signing is winger Bentivigiano and Melker Hallberg who will be squad players but get plenty of opportunity to show what they can do and the manager saying if they impress then they will get games simple as that.

Bentivigiano in particular is a really good signing and the whole staff is surprised to get him in with out any competition from other seria A clubs. His stats show he likes a goal and will be an attacking threat wherever he is played with the managers ability of getting the best out of his players and the attacking football played at Spezia This really is a huge opportunity for the player and he may end up being a real bargain.

Screenshot_9_zps2fq2mtxh.png

After 22 games played the rest of the season is wide open for Spezia and if they can keep there good run going Europe could be a shout again the fans are expectant and with other more recently promoted teams like Pisa and Pro Vercelli flying high in the league the manager knows where he wants to be. It should be an exciting climax too the season and going by last year it could go right to the wire.

v.png

I have found my home here at reggiana sitting 2nd in the table is a mirical for me and the whole team my aim was top half of the table

before the season started but now i have a great chance of winning the title can i really do it :)

hjhjhjhjh.png

Still a fair bit to go in the league 12 games everyone a cup final for me am pleased i still have stu to play i hope he aint forget the

thumping his side got in the 1st meeting between our 2 sides in which i won 3-0 something tells me his players lack something when

push comes to shove

lklklklklklklk.png

Another famous member of the pgc clan had an old saying and i have takin some of his words.Bring it on stu lad am going knowhere :lol:

dedrdre.png

b7a23aab-826b-4bfb-ac67-47b4162f97b4_zpstu550ugp.jpgSpezia75fc2e5b-5f21-46f5-b20a-b81c636815ec_zpsfg4q76jt.png

As the new season draws near The spezia manager Andrew Gillespie has thrown down the gauntlet to his players in a pre season press conference he said

" we are in this league to stay everyone thought wed struggle but we are going from strength to strength I really feel like this is the start of some really exciting times at Spezia Missing out on Europe again is a blow but we found the going tough last year it was too much too soon for our small squad were a better team for it and this year were going for it with the league it is our 1 and only priority im over the moon with the squad and after spending such little money its great to see the lads in training weve got a team of internationals put together at a fraction of the cost of other teams in the league I can see it in the lads at training there hungry for success and im going to help them achieve it"

ff3ab77b-a9e0-4861-8ee3-500bd7fd3d3a_zpsnkoejs6z.png c3598c74-f0b7-44ff-bf0d-d3b51cedd3c9_zpscvgod7kl.png

The lack of funds hasn't stopped Gillespie entering the transfer market with rumours flying round the stadium of impending deals the manager has a real knack of working the free transfer and loan markets too his benfit and of spotting a bargain with an especially good knowledge of the south American leagues.

Zakaria Bakalli

A world class left winger surprisingly let go on a free by Manchester city with rumours of a contract stand off not going away. He has enjoyed the last 3 years on loan at Spezia and made his feelings clear early in the year about wanting to sign for the eagles stating his love for the fans and the Italian way of life as the main reasons for wanting to sign on full time. Tricky and pacey he will fight it out with Moi Gomez for the important left sided attacking position in the squad.

Muhammed Besic

An incoming loan signing from Barcelona this midfielder is strong and firm in the tackle deemed surplus to requirements at Barcelona. he has as others have too found a home at Spezia saying "the style of football is similar its about keeping the ball and pressuring the opposition its an easy transition" One of the first players to sign on this year Gillespie should how important his signing was by moving so quickly.

Diego Jose

Said to be a future Brazilian number 1 this keeper was nearing the end of his contract with Sau Paulo but instead of waiting for it too run down Gillespie paid up for him too move immediately. The keeper is an amazing shot stopper and controls his defence with the maturity of a keeper twice his age. The fans are really excited about this signing and hope he can make a difference this year.

Alen Halilovic

The star of the show on loan last year finishing top goalscorer and top of the assist charts aswell no one at Spezia came close to him and he excelled even further with his performances in Europe. A bitter fight with Pisa erupted in January for his signature with rumours of multi million pound signing on fees and sky high wages being reported in the newspapers after an agonizing wait Alen finally signed on for Spezia saying that the special relationship he had with the fans and manager meant hed find it impossible to play for anyone else in the league.

Accursio Bentivigano

Mainly brought in as cover this player has openly spoken with pride at having the opportunity to play with one of his favourite players from last year Alen Halilovic as a weird turn of fate its Halilovic stands in his way for a first team place but the opportunity to rest and recuperate will no doubt be good news for halilovic after last years exertions. Pacey and an expert passer this young Italian has plenty too offer and is quick becoming a fans favourite

Jherson Vergara

This defender comes too spezia with a growing reputation and was the main reason behind Spezia not offering Dier a contract or a further loan move his arrival means there is a 3 way fight for the 2 centre back positions with Fosu - Mensah , Mammama and Vergara all hoping to start this can only be good for Spezia and the manager has spoken out at his hopes for a lot less goals conceded this year.

7397e892-93f0-488d-babc-a9a46076b9c3_zps0etatex2.jpg 688efe07-26b0-46ef-9c00-f1c86f97f30a_zpso8kdby55.jpg 5e1cde44-1978-4ce9-9f1c-055b82403074_zpsxos9rvps.jpg

One major talking point this pre season has been the delay of the new stadium which was supposed to be built and ready for the start of the season it is now looking like itll be a further 4 months till it is ready with the board siting unforeseen costs and building permit issues as the reasons why. The manager is desperate to get into the new stadium with it being the first step towards turning this club into an established force in Serie A

a8b09d1e-d53e-469a-a58a-071d99bbfce3_zps8upnvydm.jpg 02fa5ac3-5621-452a-97a8-02bf5816448a_zps1wlx1mgk.jpg

usleece badge.png

AndyF - U.S Leece, Ex-Latina

So i started the 5th season with Latina plotting a way for us to push on from last season and challenge for the play-offs at least this year.

After an average start picking up 3 wins and 2 draws in our opening seven matches, events took a turn for the worse with 4 defeats in 6 games leaving us in the bottom half of the table. Then the trouble started with a big squad, 4/5 of the fringe players started to knock on the office door wanting first team football. I explain to them that there's still plenty of the season to play and they would get there chance 1/2 were ok with this but the rest were really pissed in wanting football straight away.

With other squad players siding with those who reacted badly to my decision squad harmony was at an all time low and I was soon hauled before the board and after heated talks they gave me a a month or so to turn it round.

Results then started to be on a more positive note picking up 5 wins from 8 games only suffering 1 defeat to high flying Kim's Avellino at this point we were only 6pts from 2nd place with the team just hitting some sort of form.

latina sack fixt.png

With me giving opportunities to those asking for playing time and those results I thought that the squad harmony would have improved but unfortunately not as on the 14.12.18 Fabrizio Colletti produced the dreaded P45 and my 4 year tenure was over.

sacked.png

This has well and truly screwed my HoF points I received this season and its going to need a lot of hard work and dedication to overturn that deficit in the upcoming seasons.

hof.png

So a new club and new environment was needed so i headed south to the historic city of Leece to take up the proposal offered by the chairman Simone La Rocca.

I didn't pay any attention to the quality of the squad or looked at their financial status, as this time round I just choose a team with a high capacity in the lower tiers of Italian football and Leece fitted the bill with the 33,000 capacity Stadio Via del Mare

With no time to get the squad familiarized with their new tactics it was a tough start with only 2 wins in 10 but with team gelling the final 8 games of the season the fans seen a vast improvement in the performances picking up some useful wins albeit not against the best of opposition to keep team morale high and send them on their hols in high spirits.

last few.png

We have a media prediction of 2nd and the board want at least play-offs for the upcoming season and with some wheeling and dealing in the transfer market I hope to bring in a few players to improve the squad to achieve that goal. With these and combination of a good preseason and the backing of the notorious Leece Ultras I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting back into Serie B and in times to come bring success back to this fantastic club.

ultras.png

Until Next Time......

Archived