Do you have your own rules for squad building?

eastley

I have a large squad these days, talent coming through but need a year or two before making their mark on the Premiership.

The problem I am having is, I have a good first team squad, but to many players, as backup, all young regens with massive potential.

When do you guys make the decision to sell a player and give a position to a younger player?

Or do you stick with the older experienced player until he is 30 or so?

I am about to take the plunge, sell all experienced players and go with a team of youth, will be interesting. Got some great talent, Zivkovic for example was top EPL scorer last season, he is 20, Sinclair is looking ready to now, also 20 years old.

Hughes and ward-prowse boss the midfield. Suso also looking superb.

That's it, I decided, it is time to boss the EPL with 20 years olds or less, lol.

Going to make a lot of money selling all these players.

Always prioritise on these things when I'm squad building:

First team player, rotation and back up in every position

Same nationality as club over foreign players when making transfers

Either under 23 or over 34 with low wages and good tutoring personality.

• 2 weeks later...

My main rules to squad building are keep the First Team Squad no bigger than 25, the reserve Squad no bigger than 15 and the youth squad no bigger than 20.

Develop homegrown players and sign mostly younger talent, every year or two I may sign a high quality veteran for tutoring purposes.

I always manage Prem clubs and I prioritize homegrown players over all else. I find with the way other clubs are operated in FM that it's not so hard to find a great price for a star player, making it easy to slot in the younger players in the squad.

• 1 month later...

At the begining of my save I try to sign players that have an age of no more than 25. These players are the world beaters that everyone knows about - such as Balanta, Stones, Tielemans, Barbosa & Lucas Romero. I keep these players as rotation players for a season so that they can be tutored by the players that I already have in my squad. Then in my second season I sell the old guard and let my youngsters run free.

From the 3rd season onwards I tend to just sign Regens and train them up to be proficient in my chosen tactics and player positions.

When these regens are ready for a bit of first team action, the likes of Balanta and Barbosa et al should be old enough and experienced enough to tutor my regens.

From then on it's a cycle of churning out world class youth players. Those who I don't deem good enough gets sold on for a sweet profit.

My first team consits of 22 players. With my first 11 and back-up for each player there after.

For me it depends on who I start with. My last save I was United and I instantly looked at the youth and called up anyone who looked good enough to make a mark and gave them a chance as subs initially, then if the did well enough I started them against crap teams. After going through youth I then go through the main squad and see whats needed after sorting my tactic out for them then but extra quality to fill the spaces.

I am now at Stockport in a new save and considering I have naff all mone to spend I just buy the best quality I can no matter what age they are, they could be 40 for all I care as long as they have ability

I try to have a first team squad of about 25. 4231 is my chosen tactic however I also use 41221 for big games

I have 2 keepers

2 for each position across the defence

2 players capable of playing dm and mc at least

5 mc's including the Dms

2 for each of the offensive positions and 1 am roc and an extra young striker who also plays for Jong Psv

Then in Jong Psv I just have hot prospects who play cup games and i don't bother with the u19s and only make them available for youth CL games as All youths are in Jong as I want them to have full training

Archived